Sunday 24 November 2013

Simi Valley Breakfast Brunch Blues: Sunday, November 24th

He is a hard man who is only just, and a sad one who is only wise. -Voltaire, philosopher (1694-1778) 

A THOUGHTFUL MESSAGE OR TWO HERE TO PREPARE YOU FOR CHRISTMAS.
Please drink responsibly – sit down so you don’t spill any!   
Up at 6:30 am to be joined, almost immediately, by Joey and Chandler, circling me like sharks, threatening to take a hefty bite out of my legs if they were not soon fed! In fact they are actually extremely well behaved with regard to feeding times and although they show keen interest in their fare they do not complain at all, unlike our Dear Maggie. Had a long chat with Cora Lee last night, before our dinner guests arrived, and was saddened to learn that she has reached the point where Corinne decided that she has to be euthanized. I don't know all of the details but among other things, she has a number of tumours on the right side of her face, one of which is now bleeding. We have known about he existence of same ever since we took her to the SPCA two or more years ago, when she first started showing signs that her health was deteriorating. At the time, the examining vet said that these growths would inevitably become more pronounced.

Of course, as you can well imagine, this is all very, very upsetting for everyone, particularly Chloë. Corinne is flying down to LA on Thursday of this coming week to celebrate American Thanksgiving with us and she didn't want Chloë to have to deal with taking Maggster to the clinic all by herself. (The appointment has already been made for Tuesday, I believe.) I feel badly that I won't have the chance to see Maggs and say my own sad farewell. She has not been a particualrly easy cat over the years but she has occupied a very large part of our lives for over sixteen years. Ever since we returned, this past October, and we brought her back to the Islay Inn, she had returned to a pretty good shade her old self, (given her age, etc.), complaining loudly, demanding to be fed but also being very affectionate, as well, settling in on Corinne's lap when she read or watched TV, or purring loudly, gazing into my face when I'd read in bed.

Fortunately Corinne's parents are next door so Chloë will have her Grandmother's shoulder to weep upon while we are away. The fact that she is still working seven days a week, (Monday-Friday at Aunt Leah's and then Sat/Sun at GIB), is probably a blessing, of sorts, inasmuch as she is so busy that she won't have as much time to think about losing Maggie. A difficult time but not unexpected although such decisions are absolutely wrenching.

Hi Derek and Gayle!

Lovely to hear from you although I was sorry to learn about your fall. You must have taken a few lessons from Cora Lee! Anyway, am glad you seem to have escaped serious injury. Even a sore back is not to be sneezed at, particularly as we age. I really don't take anything for granted, health wise as we all know that other, "things" happen whether one falls down stairs, off a ladder or, indeed, from a bike, travelling faster than a speeding bullet! As well, hope your stomach trouble has cleared up although I suspect that it was due, in part, to the anxiety caused after you embezzled my Sainsbury's cheque! Talk about customer service! I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing. Was it somehow tied in to our applying for a card? At any rate, another good reason to return to Cornwall!

Loved the picture of Tristan and Gayle. Handsome young man! You both must be delighted to be part of these delightful years. Am glad that Marne's/Ant's move into their new house will unfold smoothly, at least as "smoothly" as such things can go, and will provide the necessary space. I know what you mean when you mention "money to burn"! Think Chloë and Krissy have been to the same night school class, (How to Get the Most from your Parents Who lead a Cushy Life without ever having had to work hard to get it!), and taken top marks in every assignment! I know they both love us but I do think they tend to forget that although we are "famous", at least in the circles that count, we are not the Millionaires!

Your Christmas concerts sound lovely. I know we have tickets for a number of choral events and such, as well, so looking forward to that as well. Along with us, Clara/Dusty and Chloë will attend the Universal Gospel Choir concert on December 15th, I'm not mistaken. We heard them recently, at a Remembrance Day service, and bought our tickets then.

Speaking of concerts, this past Friday I went with Rae and Rick, the couple I'm house/cat sitting for, to a school concert. Their daughter, Judy, is in the Santa Susana High School Performing Arts Choir. I assumed it would be much like going to a typical, cobbled together school or church Christmas pageant we have all "endured" over the years but was I in for a wonderful surprise! The level of performance was almost unbelievable, at least to my eyes and ears. Not only was there a large vocal ensemble but also a number of smaller choirs, (women's/small group), and a jazz choir, mixed. Latter, in particular, was truly phenomenal. The musical theatre involved a number of Broadway pieces, (Legally Blonde, Newsies), and the dance choreography was superb, let alone the two young women doing incredible back flips back and forth across the stage. The range and style of material was marvellous, literally drawing upon the musical traditions of world culture, Haitian, Japanese, African, French, Quebec, Celtic to name a few. Members of the accomplished school orchestra also participated. Judy gave a lovely solo performance. She has a very strong, powerful voice and has obviously inherited musical talent and genes from both her parents/grandparents. The music director, Bevin Abbe, is obviously adored by her students and she truly cultivated and showed, in shining display, the depth and breadth of talent they possess. And, perhaps most importantly, everyone had fun while they bowled the audience over. I honestly didn't want the concert to end, so entertaining it was, so thrilling were the voices, so moving the material.

Just to give you a taste for Life on the Road, I have included description of first two days of travel, after leaving Vancouver on November 18th. Written from Williams, California.

Well, I'm alive and well and drinking rum. (Bottle of Whaler's Original Dark Rum, from Trader Joe's, that I had stashed with Marilyn/Mike! Really needed it as I can say, without qualification, that the last two days worth of driving have been the most taxing/nerve wracking that I have ever done on this stretch. I rained, and heavily so, from moment I crossed border, (not too, too bad on drive to Pacific Xing), all the way to Cornelius Pass Road. Even had heavy fog there so I missed turn-in to Chateau Oliver but did see all the Christmas trees harvested at a nearbye lot, wrapped and ready to go beside the road. (Wonder if any are  destined for Aunt Leah's!). Simply wonderful evening with Fingare and Digitale who missed Coriandre terribly!

There was an accidento, earlier in the afternoon, somewhere near Boeing Field. Although I saw no actual evidence of same, the traffic was simply horrendous. Backup domino jam started just as one enters Seattle proper. Took me almost two hours to get past Federal Way. Cora Lee might well remember the drive, a number of trips ago, when we ran into similar filthy weather. We didn't reach M's/M's house until after 9:00 pm, (ETA 6:00 pm), and when they greeted us Marilyn threw her arms around us and kept repeating: "We thought you were dead! We thought you were dead!" over and over again.  I wasn't quite as late as that time and they very kindly waited to start dinner.

I was up at 5:45 am next morning and had a quick shower. I had most of my baggage and a case of wine loaded before Marilyn stumbled into the kitchen. By her own admission she was nursing a pretty nasty overhang, (These Yanks just cannot keep pace with their Canadian neighbours!), and I felt badly that she was up at all. Tough lady and incredible hostess that she is, she made me a more than scrumptious breakfast: English muffins with her own delish apple butter, bacon and scramblage with home-made salsa. Michaelo even struggled out of bed to say "Good  Morning", and see me off. Marilyn headed back to bed once she had turned out the delicioso fare. Again, I felt badly that she had gone to so much trouble as I had fully intended to sneak away before anyone was awake. Needless to say, didn't keep me from enjoying the Full American Breakfast!

I have never such traffic on US 26. Of course it was rush hour with commuters heading into Portland. Left at 7:22 am and I literally inched along all the way to I-5. Rain didn't seen too, too heavy when travelling so slowly but on I-5 it was a repeat of yesterday's conditions. Slight let-up after two hours of car wash highway driving but only for half an hour and then was literally in socked-in conditions all the way to Redding. Fortunately traffic thinned out further south I drove so not quite as tiring but still it was not a pleasant drive at all.

Thought that skies might clear after I made it into California but this was not the case. I think it rained harder as I was entering Redding than almost anywhere further north. Good thing as Lake Shasta looked far lower than in past years. Had toyed with staying in Redding for the night so that I could have dinner at Jack's. However, it was only 3:06 pm when I was there so I decided to push on and see how I felt by the time I hit Williams.

Just outside of Redding, a digital highway sign informed travellers that there was an accident about 4 miles ahead, advising drivers to use right lane. When I reached accident site, a few minutes later, I had a pretty complete view of of wreckage as cars had to slow to a snail creep to pass scene, although incident took place on north bound side of freeway. Not sure what happened or why, of course, (other than thinking that heavy rain was probably a significant contributing factor), but from what I saw I imagine something caused a semi and three other cars, (perhaps more), to collide. Smashed, although not too badly, cab of semi, with trailer still attached, was up against  the support of an overpass, in the median dividing the highway. Underneath the trailer was a Mercedes which didn't seem to have sustained much visible damage at all. This in contradistinction  to a mini-van, I think, which had  its front end completely accordionized, back to the passenger compartment. I shudder to think about fate of front seat passengers!) About half a block further south were a number of ambulances, emergency vehicles and police cars and I could see somebody on a stretcher, with medics surrounding individual. I wasn't able to take in any other details in terms of other vehicles which might have been involved other than to notice some torn car parts and other such debris.

I assume that the person on the stretcher might well have been in a vehicle which was somehow involved in the grisly accident, gruesome evidence of which I'd first seen a few hundred metres north. Given driving conditions I'd experienced over last two days, I thanked my lucky stars that I'd not been chosen by the Fates to suffer such a horrendous accident. While it is nothing, in comparison, to the lives which might well have been lost or so terribly changed, I couldn't imagine how long the people in the cars stopped, as a result, would be delayed before the highway was cleared enough to let traffic trickle past. Cars must have been stopped for at least five miles back before I was past ever lengthening jam.

Putting this disturbing event behind me, I continued on to Williams. By this time the rain had eased considerably so at least I didn't have that to worry about that aspect of the drive as the light faded. I then stopped at the first Rest Stop I came upon to relieve my full bladder, (Thanks for the wonderful java, Marilyn!), as I still hadn't decided/determined if I was going to stay in Williams or push on to Healdsburg. Once in Williams I stopped for gas and then I thought I should see what the rates for a Single might be at Granzella's. Around $90 so I decided I'd try the Stage Stop Inn around the corner. Half the price so this is where I will be for the night. (Think Coriandre and I stayed here once before, a few years ago, when Granzaella's was full.)

Once I'd brought the luggage I wanted/needed into the room I set up my workstation and had a hefty belt of rum. Not that I needed it but it tasted wonderful, nonetheless! Had a quick shower, sent a few messages and then strolled a block or so to Granzella's Sports Bar for dinner. Even took a bottle of Soda Creek 2009 Merlot, (muleage picked up in Portland), and wasn't even charged corkage. Back to my room to let Coriandre and our Goils know where I was and how I was and then turned out light as it had been a full, full day.

After a good sleep, Tuesday night, I was up at 6:30 am. Had planned to leave fairly early as I thought, weather permitting, that I might go for a ride on West Dry Creek Road. I had to stop, en route to Healdsburg, at Soda Rock in Alexander Valley, to pick up latest release and then on to Coffaro. I had half a case, (wine that was not ready for release when we were last by), and was also keen to taste some of the Mourvèdre on special. I knew I could leave Titanium Green there while I went for a ride. Then, sweaty and stinky, on to Berkeley to Casa Vicente to stay with Nancy and David, up in the hills above The Claremont!

Anyway, enjoyed two boiled eggs and a sweet roll, complimentary continental offering, so not a bad breakfast compared to some that we have experienced, over the years! After packing up and loading car I quite enjoyed the "dry" drive to Napa, although much fog/mist at times. Stopped in Calistoga for an early lunch to provide some soakage for tasting at Soda Rock and Coffaro!  (Great place called Sarafornia. They have gluten-free fare so I'm even doing recon work for Coriandre! Fellion's Deli, a former fav, is now a Thai place!) As things turned out, I was delayed at Soda Rock. I tasted a wonderful flight of whites, (Current Gewurtz was stupendous! Bought four bottles), and reds, (I cannot, simply cannot, take any more on board!), and was ready to load my two cases, (Hadn't realized I had two cases to collect!), when trouble with my Visa developed. Long and the short of it was that, after explaining away all the  other charges to date, (Called from phone behind tasting counter and managed to rob till of $3,000 while Grace was serving other customers!), gas, motel, etc., there was something for $6.34 in Virginia which I knew nothing about. End result, my Visa was cancelled!

Bright side is that a new card will be issued and delivered to RBC bank in Kits, (4th/Balsam), so that Cora Lee, hopefully, will be able to collect it before November 28th, and bring to LA when she flies down that day. I don't actually "need" a credit card but it does have its advantages, under certain circumstances. (Saved over 10 cents /per gallon when I paid cash for last fill-up!) Anyway, by the time all this was resolved and I'd completed drive to Coffaro it was close to 3:00 pm. Wonderful tasting with Cindy, (owners, Pat and David, were in Santa Rosa so no chance for a brief visit), and once I'd stashed my case of Mourvèdre and the Zin I made for 101 as no time for a ride, sad to say.

Stopped, beforehand, to fuel up on java and then it was pretty smooth sailing all the way through Santa Rosa and on to San Rafael, (past San Quentin), all the way to Richmond, without a single delay. Off at Ashby to make it to Villa Vicente and unload what needed to be unloaded. Cactus was still at home so we visited until it was time for him to leave for his Men's Group! Donna Florida came home just a few minutes before Cactus was ready to skedaddle so I had company while I unpacked.

We visited, most amicably, until Cactus was home at 7:45 pm. We then sat down to an inordinately tasty meal, (green saladin followed by eggplant parmigiano), with a wonderful Zocher, Edna Valley, 2012 Grüiter Veltliner, (atypical variety for California), 13.5%, absolutely astounding even though Naughty Nancita scrunched her nose, a la Cora Lee, and two gangbuster Zins: 2010 Soda Rock, (Sonoma, Alexander Valley), Wentworth, 15.2%, and  a 2009 Kokomo, Dry Creek Valley, Winemaker's Reserve, 15.5%, so everyone was more than happy by the time the meal was over!

My yawning hosts went to bed about about 10:30 pm, (Once again a case of Yanks without any staying power!), so I enjoyed some Armagnac, brandy which David brought back from their last visit to France and region we had visited on canal barge this past October), before saying goodnight to the latest feral cat, Bandit, which they have adopted, through the kitchen door. They leave its food dish on the steps there as wily critter won't come inside!

Had another wonderful sleep and didn't stir until 7:30 am Thursday morning. (I'm hoping to be able to take in the fabulous David Hockney exhibition, [heard about it on NPR on way down when curator at the de Young Museum in SF was interviewed. Was driving through steep hills on way to Napa at the time.], after I leave LA/Simi Valley. Might have stayed an extra day, to arrive in SV on Friday but Cactus couldn't go as he was involved with a round-table at Berkeley Thursday afternoon.] Up for a jump start Cactus java special and had a quick shower. A delish couple of pieces of toast, David's homemade bread, with peanut butter and fig jam, to leave by 9:30 am so estimated I'd be in Simi Valley sometime between  4:00 pm-5:00 pm, all going well, traffic and forecast high winds, etc. (Am I being tested by the weather on this nomadic quest?) Actually thought that I might be a tad earlier but I prefer to be conservative in terms of timing, knowing that unforeseen circumstances can put awry the best laid plans of Mice and Men! (Name author, please, Dear Reader!) Onward! Fight!!! Patrizzio/Fearless Nomad of the I-5 Badlands of the San Joaquin Central Valley!

Quite a bit of traffic on I-5 but it thinned out as I made my way south.  A few showers, on and off again, but nothing like the deluges that had plagued my first two days, (Monday, to Portland, and Tuesday to Williams), so it was pleasant enough. Just before the Grapevine, heavy fog/mist completely shrouded the hills ahead. Quite surreal, in fact. And just as I started to climb, the rain started, with a vengeance that was disconcerting, not to say disturbing. Back in the moving car wash as wave after wave of spray, thrown up by the almost continuous lines of semis grinding their way up the fairly steep incline, enveloped me and blurred/obscured my vision as the wipers, on full tilt, could barely keep the windscreen clear.

If you know the terrain here you will appreciate how harrowing driving under such circumstances can be, at least for me. Climbing wasn't too, too bad as gravity meant that all the vehicles were travelling reasonably slowly. However, once I started on the roller coaster further along, the curving downgrades were not much fun as there was so much water that I was rather concerned about aquaplaning or having to deal with other vehicles that might lose control as a result of skidding. Fortunately, once I reached the top, as it were, the low cloud cleared and the rain but spattered down. Much relieved, I continued on without incident, in sparse traffic by then, so I could zip along without undue concern.

Garmin Goil instructed me to leave I-5 at Castaic, turning onto CA-126 W all the way to Filmore. This is a route I'd not been on before and it was wonderful to be exploring new territory. It soon became apparent that this is rich agricultural land and endless market garden fields, glistening emerald green from the recent cleansing rain, carpeted both sides of the highway, sometimes stretching up the lower sides of the surrounding hills. Then grove after grove of orange trees, I think/assume, and, as one might imagine, many road-side fruit and vegetable businesses, their produce displayed in crates and on large stands, typically outside the establishments.

On to downtown Filmore to then take CA-23 to Moorpark. This part of the drive was spectacular as one soon follows Grimes Canyon Road, a twisting, winding, steep ascent through hillsides carved by torrential rain to leave stunning erosion sculptures in the sandstone cliffs. I was very glad it wasn't raining as the road skirts sheer drops for much of the way and a moments lapse of attention and or reckless speed could easily lead to unthinkable disaster. I subsequently learned, from Wikipedia, that "It is a notoriously dangerous road, and the rusted chassis of cars that have gone over the side can still be seen. Philip Taylor Kramer, bassist with the rock band Iron Butterfly from 1974-1977, allegedly committed suicide by driving his van over the side along this route." Not hard to believe once one has driven this road.

Near the bottom, one passes the entrance to Grimes Rock, Inc., a huge sand and gravel operation. At various points, coming around this hairpin turn or slowing to a crawl around a curve that has s sheer drop but feet away, one catches glimpses of large conveyor belts, numerous dump trucks and other pieces of earth moving equipment, all bent on scooping away the mountainside and doing a good job of it. Would like to go back, while here, and stop at some "safe" point to get a better look at the remarkable vistas afforded.


One descends into the outskirts of the community of Moorpark, past more orange groves with magnificent, gigantic Eucalyptus trees lining the south side of the road for kilometres. I had ridden to Moorpark, a number of times, last year, so once I encountered Olsen Road I knew exactly where I was and I was soon sailing along Ronald Reagan Fwy, past the entrance to the Presidential Library and onto Wood Ranch Pkwy to pull into Fawn Valley Court at about 3:30 pm. Judy, Rae's/Rick's 15 year old daughter arrived back from school just a moment later so we greeted one another and she let me in. Rae came downstairs and we hugged and kissed. Judy had to have an early supper as it was opening night for her school choir concert. While she and her mother talked about her solo numbers I unloaded Titanium Green and settled in to my downstairs bedroom, helped all the while by both Joey and Chandler, the two felines that would be my charges for week family would be in Hawaii. I knew Joey from last house/cat sitting visit but Chandler came to FVC a few months afterwards. Both are lovely, lovely creatures so I'm quite looking forward to having them for company.

Rae prepared pasta for Judy and Judy's tutor, Diane, a 22 year old college student they have hired to help with Judy's school work/music/singing. As well, Diane, usually picks Judy up from school as Rae travels a fair bit and although Rick works from home he often has to be in LA. Once the young women left, Rae and I had a chance to visit, over large glasses of BV, Beaulieu Vineyard, Rutherford, 2010 Cabbage, 14.5%, with wonderful hors d'oeuvres, delish olivettis, fab cheeses, dried apricots, cashews and almondos,  before Ricardo returned from Hollywood. (He was doing a final music mix before air for a reality show.) Had a chance to actually visit with Rae and learn much about her background. Her father, Les Vogt, (He had quite a musical career himself: http://members.shaw.ca/lesvogt/), was Roy Orbison's Tour Manager, ("In 1976 Les moved to Nashville to work exclusively as TM for him and after a short time became the defacto manager and exclusive promoter and for all Roy Orbison concerts in the USA and Canada."), and during the 1980's Rae travelled with him and entourage, (He preferred the bus which carried the support staff to the VIP bus, with better A/C, that her Dad and rest of band occupied. He wanted to spend time with her while her own father did not!), for a number of years, in the summer holidays, selling his albums and T-shirts at various gigs. At the time, Roy's career was waning. It took off again, after he was asked to join the Traveling Wilburys.  Rae attended one of the last concerts he gave, in Vancouver, on December 4th, 1988, two days before he died! She has a picture of Roy, together with her sister, backstage. 

Also had a chance to learn how Rae and Rick met in Vancouver, back in the mid '80's. Quite a fascinating story there too! Just about to get all the gory details when Rick walked in the door so Rae opened a 2012 David Coffaro Zinfandel, 15.5%, to help bring Rick up to speed and after we had had a quick update on his session she popped a stupendous 2012 Rideau Vineyards, (Santa Ynez Valley, Solvang), 2012 Estate Viognier, 15% and we enjoyed it with bbq'd salmon, baby aspargus and some kind of mixed ancient grain. An incredible carrot-cake for dessert with Quarles Harris 1994 Vintage Porto, fantastico! Three malts to make it all blend together: Grangestone, (Highland), 21 years old, 40%; Glenfiddich, 21 years old, 40%; Bruichladdich, 14 years old, The Italian Collection, 46%

Around 10:30 pm Rae tidied up the kitchen and then went upstairs to visit with Judy, now home from the concert. Rick had to do about an hour or so of work so he left me and the malts around 11:00 pm. I sipped and scribed until just after midnight and then I was more than ready for bed. Brushed and flossed and opened the bedroom window to let the wonderful valley air in and snuggled down on the comfy bed, replaying images of the precipitous drops of Grimes Canyon Road as I drifted off!

Lazy day Friday morning, settling in and learning a few things about the house and the cat's feeding routines, amounts, etc. Day was clear and bright but the Santa Ana winds were ferocious. Blew all three large umbrellas in back yard over, one into pool! Desperately wanted to go for a ride so suited up and headed out to re-travel many of my favourite shorter routes, discovered over the course of our stay last year. A great first ride especially since I'd not been out for almost a week, travel schedule not allowing any exercise other than bottle opening!

Stats for ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/407457407#.Uo_kifGLEL8.email


After I was back, Rick and I took my car to their storage locker and brought back a table and six chairs for the Thanksgiving dinner table. (We are having about fourteen guests for dinner so need to move the large kitchen table into the living room to extend the dining room table to accommodate everyone. Table from locker will be used to hold the turkey, ham and other food dishes. Plan to have Los Horridos help me move the furniture when they come for brunch on Sunday.) Once we had unloaded the car I had a quick shower and shortly thereafter three friends arrived and we sat down to enjoy another of Rae's truly delicious dinners, (short ribs), and then we headed out to the simply wonderful concert I've already described above.

We were back home by 9:30 pm but Rae/Rick/Judy had to be up at 5:00 am next morning as limo was coming to collect them at 6:00 am to take them to LAX to catch their flight to Hawaii so they went upstairs to finish packing while I loaded the dishwasher and tidied up the kitchen. Rick came downstairs around 11:00 pm and we chatted over a nip of Grangestone. Said goodnight once dram was gone as he still had some work to finish before leaving it all behind for little less than a week. I sent a few messages and then made for bed myself. Would be an early morning for me as well as I wanted to say goodbye as they were climbing into taxi.

I was up at 5:30 am to make myself a cup of java and make one last list of phone numbers and addresses should an emergency of any kind befall. Simoids got off, mostly on time, without too, too much fussing so I was left all alone with Joseph and Chandler. Forecast looked super fine, at least as far as cycling was concerned so I planned to head out over Santa Susana Pass and Box Canyon Road. Latter connects with the Orange Busway, if one follows Valley CIrcle to Plummer.at some point and then to Glen Valley and Little Tijuana. Around 8:00 am I phoned Ayn and arranged to meet her at her place in Valley Glen as I wanted to have my haircut at the Mexican barbershop a block or two from her apartment. Had a tasty breakfast of pasta overlefts, suited up and was away by 9:30 am. Wind was not as fierce as it was yesterday but was heading into it as I made my way along East Los Angeles and it was a struggle. Ascending the pass was like riding in a wind tunnel as the hills acted a as afunnel of sorts and I was literally buffeted form side to side with each new blasting gust. Fortunately Aeolius Furioso was at my back as I laboured up Box Canyon Road, helping me along. While not as protracted a climb as coming from the San Fernanado Valley side, ascent from Santa Susana Roadis an unrelieved one. Other approach offers a few "plateaus" where one can catch one's breath.

At any rate, I was pleased to be back "attacking" this route but even more pleased to reach the top. Once I'd intersected with the Orange Bus Line's dedicated bike/pedestrian path I literally roared along, the wind effortlessly pushing me at 33+ km/hr much of the way to Woodman. Took me about three and a half hours to reach the barbershop as I had close to 63 km on the clock. Wind really was a factor as I should have been able to cover that distance in not much more than three hours if I'd been able to maintain an AVG of 20 km/hr. Still, I was reasonably happy as I'd not been forced to touch the Burning Ground once, dipsy doodling my way out of trouble at various uncooperative stop lights, particularly once on the OBL.

Ayn was actually waiting for me, on the sidewalk in front of the barbershop but had to follow me back to her place as I wanted to go to the bathroom. Once there she gave me a tasty snack of apple, cheese, corn chips and houmous, fuel for return trip. Since it had taken me longer to get to her place I didn't feel I had time to go shopping with her to Trader Joe's and her Armenian butcher shop. We needed a few things fro dinner that night and brunch for Sunday. I knew it would be at least 1:30 pm, or even a bit later, by the time I had had my haircut and I didn't want to be on the road without my lights. Quite an oversight on my part but I really hadn't anticipated having to use them. Light starts to around 4:30 pm so it was to be a race against time on return journey.

Gave her he key to the house and went to be shorn. Happened to have the same barber who cut my locks last March so was pleased as he'd done a grand job last time. Apologized to him for my riding shirt, pretty drenched as it was, explaining where I'd come from. Young lads, both barber and cutee, at/in next chair seemed quite impressed that I'd ridden from Simi Valley. While I was pleased at stitching together both valleys I told them that the unrelenting head wind was certainly more draining than the hill climbs. Very pleased, once again, with my haircut and beard trim, (Only $13 so I tipped the rest of the $20), so said goodbye to my new fans and made my way across the Woodman to enter the bikeway at 1:45 pm.

Wind, I knew, was going to be horrendous and it was. Still, since I'd already touched the Burning Ground, I didn't fuss when I missed a light and so my progress was halting, stop and go, stop and go until I reached Plummer. Wind was so firece on last leg of OBL route that I was actually glad to have to stop for a forced break, every so often. Once past the long, long, long light on Topanga Canyon Road, never had to stop again until I reached home, although ascent of Box Canyon was steeper and longer than I had remembered. Part of this was, I'm sure, due to the fact that I had about 80 km on the clock by the time I started the climb.

Anyway, I persevered and once I'd gained the top of the hill, I forgot all about the exertion required to get me there. With wind, more or less at my back for almost all of the remaining distance, (except for last swoop down hill to Fawn Valley Court), I whizzed along and knew I'd be okay as far as light went. Dusk was settling in in earnest just before 5:00 pm but by then I was only a few kilometres away from home and even had time to push up reading on the odometre on the quiet streets near the house before ending the ride.

Stats for inter-valley ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/407930088#.UpFh4O6fpBY.email

Back inside found Ayn was busy preparing the night's dinner. She was going to bbq the pork chops and strip steaks she'd bought that afternoon and I was told, in no uncertain terms, that the salad was my responsibility. I made myself a cup of Keurig java, Caffè Verona Dark, and took it into the bathroom. Had a luxurious hot, hot shower and soothed my back and legs muscles although I must say I felt pretty good in spite of my almost seven hours in the saddle.

Squeaky clean I dressed fro dinner and then set about throwing together a mixed green saladin, using the tomatoes, green oniones and Feta Ayn had picked up. Was throwing together a simple oil and vinegar dressing, with Coleman's dry mustard, when our first guests, Nancy and Brian, arrived. Ayn worked with Nancy at Sony in the mid-'90's, I believe, and they have been friends ever since. Had just poured them each a glass of wine when Lauren, friend from London, now working in Simi Valley, and her family friend, Ryan, knocked on the door. Originally, she was to join us for Sunday brunch but after accepting invitation she discovered that it was Hayden's, Ryan's son, birthday so she had to cancel. Fortunately, they were free on Saturday evening.

We spent a lovely time, enjoying the delicious food, polishing off numerous bottles of Coffaro and Soda Rock and getting to know a little bit about each other. I was pleased to finally have a chance to ask Lauren questions about a whole range of things. Although I've known her since 2007 I'd never really talked to her, other than rather briefly, at various, reasonably large gatherings, in London, during our stays with Penny. For example, although I'd met her Dad and step-Mom this past August, I didn't know anything about the circumstances of their marriage or the death of Lauren's Mother, in an automobile accident, outside of Toronto, when she was seven. Not that there was any particular reason that I needed to know any of this but in a strange way I came to play a minor role in helping Lauren to re-connect with her step-Brother, Tyler, who had not been in contact with the family for over ten years. This being the case, I was quite curious to know some of the details of the backstory behind these events.

Anyway, everyone visited with everyone else so a good time was had by all. Around 11:00 pm, after cake, (brought by Lauren and Ryan), and ice-cream for dessert, our guests had to be on their separate ways as both couples had busy days on the morrow. After saying goodnight, Ayn loaded the dishwasher and I washed whatever we couldn't squeeze into the machina. Both of us were more than happy to go to bed before midnight. 
 
Up at 6:30 am to be joined, almost immediately, by Joey and Chandler, circling me like voracious sharks, threatening to take a hefty bite out of my legs if they were not soon fed! In fact they are actually extremely well behaved with regard to feeding times and although they show keen interest in their fare they do not complain at all, unlike our Dear Maggie. Had a long chat with Cora Lee before last night's dinner guests arrived, and was saddened to learn that she has reached the point where Corinne decided that she has to be euthanized. I don't know all of the details but among other things, she has a number of tumours on the right side of her face, one of which is now bleeding. We have known about he existence of same ever since we took her to the SPCA two or more years ago, when she first started showing signs that her health was deteriorating. At the time, the examining vet said that these growths would inevitably become more pronounced.


Of course, as you can well imagine, this is all very, very upsetting for everyone, particularly Chloë. Corinne is flying down to LA on Thursday of this coming week to celebrate American Thanksgiving with us and she didn't want Chloë to have to deal with taking Maggster to the clinic all by herself. (The appointment has already been made for Monday, November 25th at 5:00 pm so I am to offer up a prayer for her as she shuffles off her feline coil!) I feel badly that I won't have the chance to see Maggs and say my own sad farewell. She has not been a particularly easy cat over the years but she has occupied a very large part of our lives for over sixteen years. Ever since we returned, this past October, and we brought her back to the Islay Inn, she had returned to a pretty good shade her old self, (given her age, etc.), complaining loudly, demanding to be fed but also being very affectionate, as well, settling in on Corinne's lap when she read or watched TV, or purring loudly, gazing into my face when I'd read in bed.


Fortunately Corinne's parents are next door so Chloë will have her Grandmother's shoulder to weep upon while we are away. The fact that she is still working seven days a week, (Monday-Friday at Aunt Leah's and then Sat/Sun at GIB), is probably a blessing, of sorts, inasmuch as she is so busy that she won't have as much time to think about losing Maggie. A difficult time but not unexpected although such decisions are absolutely wrenching

At any rate, I took some comfort in my charges, their own crazy antics making me laugh and bringing back similar fond memories of Maggie when she was their age and the absolute terror of the rat population making tentative forays up from Granville Island. Single-handedly Maggie ensured tht Harbour Terrace was a Rat-Free Zone! Ayn joined  in the kitchen about 8:00 am and we chatted while she started to prepare the four quiche she had decided would be brunch fare. She required a few more food items she'd not found yesterday so after her shower she went out asking me to fry the oniones and mushrooms she wanted for the quiche. Did this and and a few other chores around the house before she returned.

Once back we visited, she baking and I scribing, the cats tussling with each other or worrying some silly toy, until The Lost Burritos arrived shortly before noon. Grand to see both handsome lads as it had been almost six months since I seen them this past May when we were down for Alejandro's graduation. Got caught up on Xavierino's work on security detail at Sound, an "in" LA nightclub and Alejandro's training for a half marathon to be run in a month or so. Once quiche were ready we sat down to relish the wonderful egg concoctions, continuing our verbal visit. After the extended brunch Pierre spread his giant's frame out on the couch in the family room and dropped off to sleep. He'd been working until 4:00 am so he was pretty sleepy as you can well imagine. Alex wanted to watch some of the Clipper's basketball game so he did just that and after Ayn and I loaded up her car, she curled up on the couch and had a nap herself.

Around 3:00 pm Pierre woke up and the gang readied themselves to leave. I had suited up for a ride as I wanted to stretch my legs after yesterday's outing. Thanking Ayn for the wonderful meals over the course of the last two days I stood on the third stair of the staircase to hug Los Horridos goodbye, otherwise I'd have been embracing their kneecaps!
Waved goodbye as I set off on my ride and they made their way back home. Made sure I had my lights as I knew it would be dark by the time I returned. Another lovely day and wind wasn't too, too bad. Had intended to make for Sequoia Avenue as I knew this would put roughly 16 km on the clock and give me enough time to return by the time light started to fade. However, when I reached Erringer Road I decided to take a quick run up Sunnydale Avenue. One thing led to another and before I knew it I was making an incredible climb into uncharted territory. 

If I had known what was in store for me I probably wouldn't  have attempted such a climb after yesterday's Box Canyon up and over repeat. Nevertheless, I soldiered on and must say that this was the most prolonged, steepest climb I've ever completed, here or elsewhere, whether in Cornwall or Languedo. Nothing out of Vancouver even compares, at least in my experience.  Hill up to Blasted Church in the Okanagan is probably a close approximation in terms of incline and length. Parts of Box Canyon, for example, might be a tad steeper but definitely do not go on for the same vertical distance. Here I was in my lowest gear and had to stand for duration of climb and was actually starting to worry about whether I could even make it to the top as I couldn't even tell where that might be, the road curving as it did. My breathing, gasping really, was very laboured towards the end although my legs felt absolutely fine. Quite, quite happy to reach the top, as you can well imagine, Dear Reader, and was able to regain my breath and composure on relatively level streets which wound the crests of the hills thereabouts.

I ended up following Mellow Lane back to First Street so once there I knew exactly where I was. I had always wondered where Mellow Lane went as I's whizzed past it many, many times last year. Now I knew and knew what to avoid! Nevertheless, I was obviously pleased with my effort and rest of ride was literally a piece of cake, in comparison. Once back at the bottom of First I continued on to Sequoia and once there, turned back for home. About halfway along Fitzgerald, not far from Erringer, one of my lights gave up the ghost so I congratulated myself for having the foresight to carry two. Cyclops-like I made my way along Arcane and then back up First. 

Knew I would have about 42 km on the clock once I turned onto Lake Park Drive North and just as I did my second lamp ran out of juice. Wasn't too, too worried at this point as streets are well lighted and traffic is sparse. I know the road pretty well and didn't have to worry about pot holes, (there simply aren't any), and other such surface irregularities. Continuing past Fawn Valley Court I made my way along Lake Park Drive South to complete a number of loops, (each loop is roughly 2.5 km), to give me my target of 51+km. Stats for ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/408551830#.UpLQ4qlvOio.email

Joey and Chandler welcomed me back as they were obviously waiting to be fed. Once I'd given them their rations I rolled the garbage, recycling and garden waste bins out onto the street, ready for collection on Monday morning. Back inside I made myself a Keurig and had a shower. Enjoyed a tasty dinner of overlefts and watched Mystery Detectives, more by chance than anything else. I have taken to using the upstairs bathroom shower as it has a tiled bench which allows me to scrub my feet much more easily. As well, there is a flat screen TV mounted on the wall so I often watch news while there. Anyway, I could not find HLN on huge set downstairs so I ended up taking a kitchen chair upstairs to make my viewing experience even better. Must say that I found the process of solving the various crimes and accidents, (In particular the "1993 derailing of the Amtrak "Sunset Limited" on the Big Bayou Canot bridge in northeast Alabama, killing 47 and injuring 103. It is the deadliest train wreck in Amtrak's history and the deadliest rail disaster in the United States" Investiagators eventually discovered that "a poorly trained barge pilot rammed the bridge in a pre-dawn fog moments before the 11-car train began to cross the span.", and the King's Cross fire of November  18th, 1987 on the London Underground. The fire killed 31 people. The subsequent public inquiry determined that the fire had started due to a lit match being dropped onto the escalator and suddenly increased in intensity due to a previously unknown trench effect."), absolutely fascinating, riveting, in fact.

Once all the evil-doers and negligent had been brought to justice, I returned to my workstation and managed to put in a bit of work on The Diaries. Bed at just after 1:00 am and even managed to follow Kinsey for a chapter before I started to nod off. All in all, a grand, busy day so I dropped off almost as soon as my drooping eyelids closed.

Not up until 8:00 am and as I was getting out of bed Chandler hopped up beside me, purring like crazy. Suppose his hunger overcame his skittishness and he rubbed and rubbed as I scatched his head and stroked his back. He really is a lovely thing and I hope he will find me more approachable over the next few days. Fed the circling beasts and then made my Keurig to enjoy while I checked my email. Another clear blue sky so I plan to head for Santa Susana Pass, my riding destination of the day. A good ride but not quite as taxing as Box Canyon and I want to log 100+ km without touching The Dreaded Burning Ground! 

Hey Wayne,

Got tickets for Saltspring Play on Monday, December 9th.Right Orchestra, seats E9 and E10. Hope you can exchange yours! We'll be over on Sunday, Dec 8th-look forward to a pot luck evening/party with all of you. Cheers, Gregg



I will try to get my tickets changed to Monday also.  See you on the Sunday. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment