Saturday 30 November 2013

Bye Bye Tinsel Town Blues: Saturday, November 30th!

The believer is happy; the doubter is wise. -Hungarian proverb


Here's a guide to cooking this dish....Cactus!

I forgot to mention trimming the fat and cutting the lamb into small pieces. So this is a better version....Cactus

Persian Style Lamb

I wonder what an actual Iranian would think of the way in which I have developed a recipe told to me by a Persian friend in the locker room after swimming.

Trim the fat from about 2 ½-3 pounds of lamb shoulder (“boneless lamb for stewing”), cutting into small chunks.  Marinate in most or all of a 32 oz. container of yogurt; add some saffron strands, a few tablespoons of turmeric (sorry, I don’t measure, these are approximations) about a tablespoon or a bit more of salt, several crushed garlic cloves, some cumin seeds and a sprinkling of oregano.  Let this marinate for a few hours or overnight (better) in the refrigerator.

When ready to cook, sauté a large onion and a chopped up hot pepper (little red jobbies they sell at our farmer’s market are what I use) in olive or peanut oil.   I use a big iron skillet. When limp, I spoon in the lamb, marinade and all and let simmer for 3 hours or so.  I leave the cover on, ajar, and off to keep the lamb cooking without burning, and also aim to let most of the liquid cook off by the end. If I needed to add liquid, I would use some dry sherry or a bit more yogurt.

I serve with basmati rice and a vegetable (green beans?) after a salad.

This would do fine for 4-6 people depending on how much restraint they can show in accepting seconds and thirds.

David Kessler Nov. 2013

Wonderful Thanksgiving weekend with Bob, Julie, Chris, David & others. Go Sparty in B10 Championship.
  • David Kessler We just had a fourth-night-of Hanukah Persian lamb dinner with Patrick James Dunn on his way home to Vancouver after Thanksgiving with his family in the Southland....Wish we could all have been together!!!
Dad Katie's grandmas address and phone number. Her email address Her name is Elena Eftimiu. 



No comments:

Post a Comment