Thursday 14 November 2013

Last Week Before Blast Off Blues: Thursday, November 14th

Everyone discusses my art and pretends to understand, as if it were necessary to understand, when it is simply necessary to love. -Claude Monet, painter (1840-1926) 

Alastair Bird "One of a few photos I did for Access Pro Bono of BC. They are a great group,..."
 Good work Flash, great snapola! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi, dear Patrick!

I'm in Istanbul for vacation just now! Don't always have good internet so I'll read up on the e-mail and reply first chance I get (or in a week when I get back the latest). I'm sorry I missed France too. Work was pretty intense and I travelled a lot to Amsterdam and back. Actually, I'm just 'working off' my summer vacation so you can imagine it's been busy. Still, I'm enjoying it. :)

Many many greetings from lovely Istanbul and I'll write as soon as I get back. Today we're going on a boat ride down Bosphorus, I'm very much lookin forward to it! Cheers! M  


Hello Istanbul!

Glad to hear that you are finally enjoying a summer vacation! Sounds as if you really needed it. What better place than Istanbul. We certainly enjoyed our stay there in 2005. Probably took a similar trip down Bosphorus that you did/are on.

Admiral Barnacle, aka Branko, confirmed, a day or so ago, that he will be riding shotgun to California, (We leave on Monday, November 18th for two weeks of house/cat sitting in Simi Valley, just north of LA. Cora Lee will fly down on Thanksgiving morning for a week.), so pleased about having company. Have a wonderful time in The Grand Bazaar and Spice Market! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Lauren!

I have already penciled you in for November 24th. I'll have my people talk to your people about details! (LA jive!) Sadly, for you, Cora Lee won't be down until Thanksgiving so you'll have to suffer my culinary skills, along with those of Ayn and Branko on Sunday! Don't worry about Thanksgiving. If it works, fine. Cheers, Patrizzio!  


Hi Brenda Louise!

Quite a story! Serendipity indeed! Glad all turned out so well. Not sure of the exact circumstances as we never did find them out, but our own cat, Sneakers, went missing for about two weeks, towards the end of her life.
We assumed she had simply gone somewhere to die. However, as we were living here at the time we took to leaving the patio door open enough to allow her to squeeze in, in case she was still alive and decided to return. One morning Cora Lee was out on the deck and who should come dashing up the walk but Sneakers, complaining loudly! We think she might have been locked in somebody's house or enclosed garden. Who knows? She had a history of "visiting" other dwellings in the neighbourhood. One of our neighbours in Kits told us that she used to stand at their front door and beg for food! She lived for a few more years after her miraculous return. Talk about nine lives! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Admiral Barnacle pontificating and paparazzi-shy Chef Cora Lee!



Hi Patrick,  Excellente! We've marked the event on our calendar as it will be a wonderful part of our yuletide celebrations. 

Your continuing dialogue on your journeys makes me think of The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. You could write part two "The Unlikely Biking Pilgrimage of Patrick Dunn
Around the World." The people he meets, the places he sees, the distance he travels and the challenges along the way. Part travelogue and part memoir and other little bits thrown in for spice and tannin. I can see it all ( in big print). Chow for now, Ruth


Hi Little White!

I'll hire you to be my publicist! Cora Lee and Ricardo can be the nasty, negative critics!!! Since you already have blurb for dust jacket written, all I need to do is collate diary entries. Do you think we could have it out in time for the Christmas coffee table market? The critics won't be so superior when they see all that cash pouring in and all the fab wines we red-heads will be drinking!

Thought that you might enjoy the following. An email, just in, from Brenda Louise and Wally, people we visited in Kamloops before driving to your place. "The Unlikely Pilgrimage of a Lost Cat" could be one of the chapter headings! Bye the bye, we both enjoyed Harold Fry. What a marvellous book, what a powerful story! Guess Mr Grumpy will be joined by Critic Cora Lee on patio while we luxuriate in front of fireplace on December 14th. We can throw them the odd crumb of shortbread and an empty bottle of Zin or two, to finish off remaining drops!


Fondestos and Cheers, Ciao, (not, "Chow", Dearest Publicist, but I love you dearly, in spite of your minor spelling faults!), Patrizzio, #1 Best Selling Ego-maniacal Author, according to NYT latest literary poll!

Hi Paul!

Glad that you can see a glimmer of light at the end of the surgery tunnel! Hope it shines on you!!!
Guess Kjell is off today. Will call after sending this to bid him farewell until February.


 6pm Thurs Nov 14

Met with my surgeon late afternoon and we are good to go for early Friday barring any last minute complications. I am pleased that it is the surgeon I had my original consultation with in Sept. The surgery could take 5 or so hours so any status report will be late in the day Friday at the earliest.

The only other time I had general anesthetic was as a young fellow when I had my tonsils out. I vividly remember being told that I would see Mickey Mouse as I drifted off. This has led me to speculate on who I might be promised this time around: Rob Ford, Mike Duffy, Pamela Anderson....? I'll report back.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and good wishes. It is great knowing you are out there pulling for me. Best Wishes....Paul


Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick
 

Thanks so much for the update--and thank you for the invitation Dec. 11 or 12--will get back to you right away--just have to check in with Colin.  I suspect Dec. 11 would be terrific.  I will be in touch before you go to LA.  Colin's mother celebrates her 88th birthday on Saturday so we will be going to the Island tomorrow evening. Be in touch tomorrow morning. Cheers for now. Jo-Anne 

Hi Michaelo and Marilyn!

Grand to chat this afternoon, Digitale!

Executuve Summary:

Leave The Islay Inn, I hope, no later that 10:00 am, Monday, November 18th to arrive in Portlandia/Cornelius Pass sometime between 5:00 pm-6:00 pm, traffic allowing. Will be accompanied by Admiral Barnacle, co-pilot and serious consumer of beer and malt! Trust this is sufficient information.
For those so inclined, full length article is to be found below
. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!
 

Hello Dearest Eveline and Heinz, Swiss Grandparents Extraordinaire!

Trust you are both well. Please accept my sincere apologies for not writing sooner. Terribly sorry that I've not been in touch sooner. I'm embarrassed that it has taken me almost a month to say how delighted we were to receive the marvellous news of the birth of Lia. Please pass along our best wishes to Sabine and Simon! Once again, no excuses but plenty of reasons!

Had been thinking about you two, (especially when in France!), and then I received your message, Eveline, (We were in Chabeuil, near Valence, at the time), congratulating us on Alice Munro being award a Nobel prize, (Funnily enough the only other friend to send along congratulations was Stefano, an Australian!), and informing of us your new granddaughter.

Any plans for a visit to Vancouver? It is your turn, you know!!! Bring Lia! Let us know and we'll plan accordingly. Fondestos from Cora Lee to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Pat!

I'm so sorry to mess you about and disappoint you but Mark has just informed me that his son's birthday party is now taking place on Sunday 24th and of course I do not want to miss out as Hayden will be gutted.

If the offer is still there, I will ensure to come over on Thanksgiving around 5-6pm after we drop the boys if that's ok? Want to see you! Once again, my apologies and I very much look forward to seeing you all! Lauren


Hello Ich Bin Ein Berliners!

Trust you are both well. Please accept my sincere apologies for not writing sooner. Terribly sorry that I've not been in touch sooner. I'm embarrassed that it has taken me almost a month to say how delighted we were to receive your message from Berlin! What a wonderful city we found it to be on our first visit there in August, 2010. Hope we can find time to get together to swap travel experiences.


And now it's Thursday evening and I don't know where time has gone! Any plans for a visit to Vancouver? It is your turn, you know!!! Bring venison and we'll plan accordingly. Fondestos from Cora Lee to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Chops w/ Spiced-Rhubarb Chutney
Ingredients
3 cups fresh chopped, rhubarb (1/2 inch chunks)
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/4 cup chicken broth (you can sub water or white wine)
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon, minced fresh ginger
1/2 cup chopped green garlic (you can sub leeks)
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
1 cinnamon stick
salt and pepper
4 pork chops
2 tablespoons coconut oil
cumin
salt & pepper
  1. Heat coconut oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add green garlic and ginger and saute for a few minutes, until green garlic begins to brown.
  2. Next add honey, cumin, coriander, cardamom and cinnamon stick, and apple cider vinegar. Saute until honey is dissolved.
  3. Add rhubarb and chicken stock.
  4. I placed the lid on at this point for a few minutes (3-4 mins) to help the rhubarb cook through.
  5. Remove the lid and saute until rhubarb is tender. It’s best to prepare the chutney about 2 hours in advance, to help the flavors meld.
For the pork-
  1. Sprinkle pork with cumin, salt and pepper on both sides.
  2. Heat a large frying pan on medium high heat and add coconut oil.
  3. Add all 4 pork chops (if they fit) and cook until the first side is golden brown, then flip to cook the second side.
  4. Cooking time will vary depending on thickness, I check to see if it is cooked through to my liking, by just cutting a little piece off the side.
Alexandra Smith
Director, Programming
Crown Media Family Networks
Celebrating 25 Years of helping foster youth!
View this email in your browser
November 14th Update:
Items to be AUCTIONED off :
 2 tickets for the Canucks December 9th vs.the Hurricanes
 2 tickets for the Canucks January 23rd vs. Predators
a hockey stick signed by Henrik Sedin
 
If you have any questions, please contact ChloĆ« Dunn at 604.525.1204 ext 224 or cdunn@auntleahs.org 

Hi Big Al!

I thought that you said you had fully recovered from your knee injury! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Fly-fishing for the long haul. Who needs a wading staff when you have,,,,,

Dear "Whinging and Whining" One!

Glad you have finally seen the error of your selfish ways! Just kidding but it is true we are so fortunate, for so, so many reasons.
I'll be sure to pass along your best wishes and thoughts to Paul. Thanks.


Corinne is reading her morning paper before driving her parents to dentist and bank. Clara baked Christmas goodies for Ayn and Los Horridos this past Tuesday. Dusty sealed them in a lock-box so no pilferage in transit. As you know, I'm driving down to LA, leaving on Monday, November 18th. Admiral Barnacle, friend Branko, has confirmed he will be accompanying me so pleased for company and help with wine/malt consumption!

Clara just brought over two "healthy" muffins and they are already gone as I enjoyed them with my java! Cora Lee informs me that either the 11th or 12th are best for us. However, we'd like to have you here so let me know which day is preferable and we'll plan accordingly. Vacation? You UBC Librarians are always on vacation or else reading a book while working! What a life! Money for nothing and parking for free! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Pat, 

I would never skim although I might have to admit  to an eye roll here and there when I scroll through and see twenty plus pages and not being a skimmer I anticipate many hours of reading ahead! Coupled with bike ride stat analysis. And going to specialty liquor stores to find the wines and single malt you've described!

All in jest of course and I always enjoy reading your emails even if it takes me several weeks!!.


I did notice you were going to be off to California and I’m glad you have some company. I would love to join you on a similar trip sometime soon ..maybe we can do one in the Sunbeam although the trunk is kind of small and would not leave much room for crates of wine or malt!.


I very much look forward to seeing you when you get back, I am probably out of town from the 6th to the 14th on the cruise ship thing and we will be heading to the cabin for Christmas this year. It would be great if you guys could come up for a night or two during the holidays. let me know what your schedule is and we’ll figure something out.

Have a safe trip and love to the family. Cheers, Al
Patrick 
 
Having sampled Clara's baking, the locked box is a wise decision! Have a safe trip. Tom

Patrick,

On Monday, we will be with our grandson at the MAC from 4 to 5 or so.  We have to take him to his squash clinic.  We'll be home around 5:45.  However, you will find the key to the front door taped in an envelope underneath one of the chairs on the front porch.  I will leave the alarm OFF.

Come in and make yourself at home.  You know the drill.  Put your buddy upstairs.  Have a beer.  We'll be back soon after you arrive, if we do not get here first.

Dinner will either be left overs or a trip to the local pub.  Will see.  Am having a birthday (70th) party for Mike tomorrow w. 3 other couples.  Sauerbraten and the fixin's  . . .so maybe leftovers from that meal.  None the less, always lots to drink. . .See you Monday.


 Nice to hear from the intergalactic travellers. I am very interested to talk to Corinne about Trinity UC getting into the restaurant business. That conversation sounds more like a phone call or a trip to BC.

At the moment I am sitting at a Tae Kwon Do studio watching Maddie (age 6) taking it all so very seriously. My current church gig expires Dec 31. I think after 10 yrs of retirement I may actually have to quit work. Of course I could accept a Senate appt or run for Mayor of Toronto. I think I might manage to avoid offering oral sex to my staff--so of course they will want to elect me. I am playing bridge twice a week--I assure them that "Short Club" is a bid invented by the Devil. But I am one of only 3 who says Better Minor is a better bid. I am on the look out for a duplicate partner. All applications seriously considered.


Hello! I've just posted the details about the seasonal craft shows Harobed Designs is taking part in. You'll find all the details for our November shows on our blog at:

http://inside-outstyleanddesign.blogspot.com

I've also included some "teaser" photos of what we'll be offering. Look forward to seeing you at one of the shows! Deborah


Dear SIr Pat and Lady Coriander. Just a brief email from Camelot Castle. We are having a great time in spite of very blustery weather and some rain! The wind has been so strong Mandy had to be held very tightly on her lead! We are here on a special deal. Pay for one night and get two free. Of course there are snags.You have to have to have two evening meals and then there is VAT tax.However it is a still a good deal and it has been very quiet and we also get more attention! Food has varied.Since Pat complained everything has been much better and they know us pretty well by now! We have done lovely walks and the light has been fantastic, particularly the setting sun over the White Horses on the sea. We have been to Port Isaac for tea and plan to go to Davidstow to the cheese factory and military museum before returning home. There have been good music programmes on TV and radio particularly to do with requiems and masses. You may recall my mentioning Benjamin Britten a famous composer who was born 100 years ago. We have naturally heard alot about him and his music and many other composers. Must dash now. A brisk walk down by the old castle. Tomorrow it is Pat's birthday. All our love. Fondestos. Sir James and Lady Patricia.


No comments:

Post a Comment