Sunday 10 November 2013

Jack O'Dell Civil Rights Blues: Sunday, November 10th

As far as I'm concerned, 'whom' is a word that was invented to make everyone sound like a butler. -Calvin Trillin, writer (b. 1935)


Hi Pat, 

I'm assuming that we'll ride at 9am. Unless it's raining really hard. OK? I'll meet you outside your place. Dress warmly! Sara


Cora Lee's Sunday night offerings! Curried shrimp, green, cashews with rice; a pork curry, red, and a chick pea/spinach dish, below. Scrumptious!

Hi Sara!

Sorry to send this along so late but I just found out that there is a wonderful speaker at one of the churches which Cora Lee attends, Jack O' Dell:

During the 1950s, Jack O'Dell was a member of the Communist Party USA (CPUSA). In the late 1950s O'Dell withdrew his membership from the CPUSA to work in the Civil Rights movement in the South. He worked with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.  O'Dell was a director of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC). Because of O'Dell's past involvement with the Communist Party, Dr. King received pressure from many liberal leaders—including the Kennedy brothers, John and Robert—to distance himself from O'Dell. After conferring with King, O'Dell decided to accept a less prominent post within the movement in order not to alienate important allies of the Civil Rights struggle; nevertheless, he continued to play a decisive role in the SCLC, as well as in King's move towards the political left towards the end of his life.


I know him from Trinity United and I would like to hear him speak tomorrow. Unfortunately, service is at 10:30 am so I fear I won't be able to ride tomorrow at 9:00 am. I apologize for this but I really don't know if I'll ever have this chance to hear him speak again. He is in poor health and has been struggling with various medical issues for last number of years. In spite of his considerable ailments, he never complains and is an incredible, remarkable  individual, gentle in the extreme but with a will of steel, as you might imagine, given his history.

I'll phone in the morning or else you can phone me if you read your email before leaving. If we don't manage to connect beforehand, I'll wait for you in the parking lot and explain myself. Of course, if you happen to want to wait until around noon, I would be delighted to ride then. However, from what you have said, I assume earlier is better for you and I don't want to disrupt your day. Again, many apologies. Talk tomorrow, one way or another. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi.  I did get your message.  I have all ubc email going to a separate folder and I forgot that yours is a ubc address!  I've filtered your name now so that your messages will come to my inbox.  Too bad about the ride but it will so good for you and Corrine to see Jack O'Dell (very interesting life story). Sara

Sunday 10 Nov.

Saturday passed slowly and Sunday promises more of the same. Reading progresses - I have digressed into the 40's and 50's noir novels of David Goodis in the handsome Library of America edition. Trivia tit bit, his novel Down There was the basis for the screenplay for Truffaut's Shoot the Piano Player.

Assuming the surgery will be Tuesday and I'll get back in touch when there is increased certainty on this. In the meantime, enjoy the long weekend. Cheers....Paul 


Thanks Patrick - I spoke with Kjell at length yesterday. It sounds like his knee pain is really bad and I think his real worry is not being able to fly home. The underlying lesson here is that he didn't scale back on the stress on his leg after the initial fall what with mountain climbing, cycling etc. and this appears to be what exacerbated things to the present situation. There is a message here for us all - we ain't as young as we used to be and need to act accordingly.

Trust a good time was had by those who made it last night. Cheers....Paul 


Stats for today's ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/402730954#.UoA2xz1ZgXE.email

Hi Paul!

Well, we certainly missed you and Kjell last night but somehow we managed to enjoy ourselves in spite of your collective absence! Had a chance to catch up with everyone's travels and must say Coriandre prepared a delicious number of dishes. Thank you for "instructing" Joan to bring the 2009 Burrowing Owl Cabernet Sauvignon, 14.5%, as it was fabulo! Much appreciated, especially since you were not present to enjoy its wonderful fruit and firm tannic backbone. I had "discovered" a 2002 Fox Creek, (McLaren Vale), Short Row Shiraz, 15%, in our "winecellar", such as it is, and was worried that it might have been past its peak. Delighted to find it was still amazingly fruit forward. One of our favourite wineries there and we have been fortunate to be able to have visited it every time we have been in this marvellous region. As well, had an Orofino, Similkameen, Cawston, 2008 Red Bridge Red, (100% Merlot), 14.5%, which was very, very tasty as well. Do you know this winery? Really like their offerings. It, along with Herder, are two stupendous wineries in this appellation, at least I think so. View from tasting room at Herder is quite spectacular, looking out as it does across the Similkameen to the stuning rock bluffs/cliffs behind.

Jane brought along some delicious rice cookies, (Gluten-free sensitive lady that she is, catering to Cora Lee's allergy), and we had some gluten-free macaroons, from Terra Bread, (Thank you VWF for the $5 off certificate in the volunteer package!), so dessert was rather more-ish as well.

Well, hope this finds you as well as can be expected. Must away as we are having friend, with whom we stayed in Valence, for dinner. He is over here visiting his mother, on Vancouver Island. Hello to Joan and tell her how pleased we were to have her come over last night, even without her harsh task master! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pic: The Sisterhood!  


This is a really important column. All one ever hears is that the French welfare state is doomed because it's fiscally irresponsible. On the contrary, Krugman points out, it's more sustainable than the austerity regimes that strive to marginalize it. In fact, France, while imperfect, is a model for what people around the world should strive for. We need to preserve and expand our safety net, tax to make it possible, and watch our economy grow to make social justice and human happiness economically sound policy!
The Plot Against France
  • Sabrina Sérac Thanks for sharing! xoxo
  • David Kessler Sabrina, I was hoping you would see this! XOXO, hugs from across the big sea....and thanks for helping to keep the dream of a decent life for all alive in France!
  • Patrick James Dunn I concur wholeheartedly. I lived the dream for six weeks this past September/October and not just because of the French wines and cheeses, soft summer breezes!
Dear Patrick:

Thanks for your message - good to hear from you!

I read every word of your comprehensive trip narrative - took best part of an hour! I enjoyed it . . . it gave a real sense of the rhythms and pleasures and places that you visited and the things that you did while you were there. (It's only fair now, of course, that you read my entire India blog! Or at least, the part covering this most recent trip).

I must have known -- but forgot -- that you would be away for such a long time. Wonderful! But how did you cope with the exorbitant European prices? I was in Frankfurt airport for a few hours last week and spent the best part of $20 (Canadian) on two bottles of water (1
large, 1 small) and a cafe latte. I know that things tend to be overpriced at airports, but I also experienced it at the British Museum at the beginning of my trip: $32 for cranberry juice, a simple roasted eggplant salad, and bread; $58 for a 15-minute Express train trip from
Heathrow to Paddington (return, but still . . . ); $7 for a short Tube trip.

I got back from India around noon last Wednesday (November 6) and was met by Greg and my mother. I've done the return trip from India twice before, but this time it seemed more gruelling (27 hours from door-to-door) and is taking long to adjust. I have been feeling below
par for the past few days - a bit head-achy, sniffly and exhausted. I am not sure if it's the cause or the result of hurtling across 13.5 time zones, though the fact that sleep patterns are very disrupted certainly is. I will be back at work and into a more regular routine on Tuesday, which should help.

It would be delightful to get together to have a good natter about our respective recent travels - when would be a good date for you? My calendar is quite open; I know that you will be away for a bit, though. I still have pictures to give you from our get-together with Eyob and his family.

So you have definitely decided to go to India in 2015? Terrific! I would highly recommend my travel agent (based in Delhi) who has handled the arrangements for my last two trips. You can completely customize your itinerary. It's a really good option, I think -- I would be
inclined to avoid organized group travel and yet, to make all of your arrangements independently, especially on a first trip, would be a daunting prospect. It is a wonderful country but it can be challenging.

You'll have to temper your expectations, though, when it comes to wine! India does produce wine . . . a bottle was given to me as a gift on one of my trips, and it wasn't too bad. But there isn't really a strong a wine-drinking culture. The flavours and spices of the cuisine are quite distinct and strong and therefore incompatible with wine appreciation, I think. Still, you could include the French enclave of Pondicherry in your itinerary - things are a bit different there! Well, must run (metaphorically speaking).

Hope you are enjoying cycling and the other pleasures of being back at home . . . .Let's talk soon . . .Janet

 


Hello Andre The Giant!

Terrific to see you tonight, along with Rhonda. Hope we will connect before you return to London. If not, Bon Voyage. Take care of each other. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

No comments:

Post a Comment