Friday 22 November 2013

Simi Valley Blues: Thursday, November 21st

 He is a hard man who is only just, and a sad one who is only wise. -Voltaire, philosopher (1694-1778) 


8:00pm, Thurs Nov 21 

Things continue to improve and I am hopeful I'll be released either tomorrow or Saturday. I feel stronger each morning despite a good all night's sleep being elusive in the hospital setting.
 

A couple of visitors have asked who I encountered when under general anesthetic. (New recipients of the email updates will have missed my musings on who I would see based on childhood memories of being told I would meet Mickey Mouse when being given general anesthetic for tonsil surgery - and actually meeting the mouse.) The experience was totally different this time. Wheeled in to the operating room around 11am Friday, a friendly greeting from the head nurse and then....nothing, nada, the void.... No small talk, no promised celebrity encounters. On the plus side there was no Rob Ford bearing down on me in his Argos sweater, no Mike Duffy tugging on my sleeve wanting to give me the real story behind the $90,000 and, with greater regret on my part, no Pamela Anderson wanting to discuss why the Riders have a lock on Sunday's game. The next thing I knew it was Saturday morning and I was back in the land of the living in the OR Recovery Room.
 

I'll be back in touch as soon as I am homeward bound. Cheers....Paul 

Thank you again Pat for your hospitality, gluten-free cakes and tall tales.

Since there's some lag time until our next meeting, just wanted to throw it out there, would a facebook group be appropriate for our small but loving book club? Is the NRBC ready to take the next step into the 20th century? I know Jon and I are the only members under retirement age in this group and that some of you may not be comfortable with computers outside of emailing, but if you all think a facebook group could be useful/fun to further help us keep in touch, stay in the loop and share malt/things then I don't mind setting one up for us. Just an idea but if there's interest I don't mind dealing with it Best, VL
Dear Victor:  Kindly note that we are in the 21st century. Yours truly, One of the old folks--Kurt 

Kurt, my sincere apologies for the confusion, should have clarified my joke better, the "20th century" comment was another uncalled-for crack at the average age of the NRBC members, as opposed to any youthful naiveté and ignorance on my part - but I agree with Guy, the latter 20th century was a lot more fun than our current century, smartphones have not made us any smarter and space travel is still only for the rich and Richard Branson

George, I will set up the group and then it's just a matter of who has facebook and adding everyone according to their facebook account whether by email or facebook pseudonym. I think a facebook group would be great just to simply have a nice record of our meetings and happenings, as well as a great medium for sharing links and other goodies, and more importantly to stay in touch in-between our meetings. I'm really keen to see it actually. 

Perhaps a good start would be to ask everyone to provide me with the email they use on facebook or their facebook name so I can easily find you. If anyone else has any suggestions regarding the facebook page, please let me know Take care, VL

Victor, I like the idea. Thanks for offering to set it up. Let's do it. We can drag along any opposing old farts, kicking and wheezing. Let me know how I can help. G
I for one would cherish a step into the 20th century.  This one so far had left me nostalgic for the last one.  A combination of the post 9/11 world and general old fartdom I suppose. Did we have Facebook in the 20th century? I think my memory is slipping. Guy


Hello gentlemen, Thanks for including me de facto in the The Non-Readers Book Club. It is a great honor to become the 9th member of such a spurious spirited conventicle, and I will respond fulfilling the duties I acquired together with the privileges (although I am not completely sure which they are). I will be on time for the next appointment, both proposed dates work for me, and I will read entirely Blood: The Stuff of Life. At least I promise I will try harder. About the offering distinguished VL has made to create a facebook group, I think it is a very good idea.Thank you very much for your attention, Yours, jon

Hello nomad Poppa Rae was wondering what time you would arrive tomorrow. Judy has a performance in her school play Friday at 7PM. why does Rae think Sarge is with you? 

the best laid plans of Mice and Men! (Name author, please, Dear Reader!)

My father used to recite endless Robbie Burns poems. All the best Livingstone  

Hi Patrick RBC called re security issues call them at 1-800-711-9946 and TCR credit agency called call them at 1-866-519-6435 ext. 5027. called back the TCR but they wouldn't tell me anything. Hope trip is going well, off to Friends and then shift at Hycroft Christmas market.
Love Corinne


Hi Beatricce!

Trust you are well! Arrived yesterday afternoon after driving down from Berkeley where I spent a lovely evening/night with close friends, Nancy and David. Quite a bit of traffic on I-5 but it thinned out as I made my way south.  A few showers, on and off again, but nothing like the deluges that had plagued my first two days, (Monday, to Portland, and Tuesday to Williams), so it was pleasant enough. Just before the Grapevine, heavy fog/mist completely shrouded the hills ahead. Quite surreal, in fact. And just as I started to climb, the rain started, with a vengeance that was disconcerting, not to say disturbing. Back in the moving car wash as wave after wave of spray, thrown up by the almost continuous lines of semis grinding their way up the fairly steep incline, enveloped me and blurred/obscured my vision as the wipers, on full tilt, could barely keep the windscreen clear.

If you know the terrain here you will appreciate how harrowing driving under such circumstances can be, at least for me. Climbing wasn't too, too bad as gravity meant that all the vehicles were travelling reasonably slowly. However, once I started on the roller coaster further along, the curving downgrades were not much fun as there was so much water that I was rather concerned about aquaplaning or having to deal with other vehicles that might lose control as a result of skidding. Fortunately, once I reached the top, as it were, the low cloud cleared and the rain but spattered down. Much relieved, I continued on without incident, in sparse traffic by then, so I could zip along without undue concern.

Garmin Goil instructed me to leave I-5 at Castaic, turning onto CA-126 W all the way to Filmore. This is a route I'd not been on before and it was wonderful to be exploring new territory. It soon became apparent that this is rich agricultural land and endless market garden fields, glistening emerald green from the recent cleansing rain, carpeted both sides of the highway, sometimes stretching up the lower sides of the surrounding hills. Then grove after grove of orange trees, I think/assume, and, as one might imagine, many road-side fruit and vegetable businesses, their produce displayed in crates and on large stands, typically outside the establishments.

On to downtown Filmore to then take CA-23 to Moorpark. This part of the drive was spectacular as one soon follows Grimes Canyon Road, a twisting, winding, steep ascent through hillsides carved by torrential rain to leave stunning erosion sculptures in the sandstone cliffs. I was very glad it wasn't raining as the road skirts sheer drops for much of the way and a moments lapse of attention and or reckless speed could easily lead to unthinkable disaster. I subsequently learned, from Wikipedia, that "It is a notoriously dangerous road, and the rusted chassis of cars that have gone over the side can still be seen. Philip Taylor Kramer, bassist with the rock band Iron Butterfly from 1974-1977, allegedly committed suicide by driving his van over the side along this route." Not hard to believe once one has driven this road.

Near the bottom, one passes the entrance to Grimes Rock, Inc., a huge sand and gravel operation. At various points, coming around this hairpin turn or slowing to a crawl around a curve that has s sheer drop but feet away, one catches glimpses of large conveyor belts, numerous dump trucks and other pieces of earth moving equipment, all bent on scooping away the mountainside and doing a good job of it. Would like to go back, while here, and stop at some "safe" point to get a better look at the remarkble vistas afforded.


One descends into the outskirts of the community of Moorpark, past more orange groves with magnificent, gigantic Eucalyptus trees lining the south side of the road for kilometres. I had ridden to Moorpark, a number of times, last year, so once I encountered Olsen Road I knew exactly where I was and I was soon sailing along Ronald Reagan Fwy, past the entrance to the Presidential Library and onto Wood Ranch Pkwy to pull into Fawn Valley Court at about 3:30 pm. Judy, Rae's/Rick's 15 year old daughter arrived back from school just a moment later so we greeted one another and she let me in. Rae came downstairs and we hugged and kissed. Judy had to have an early supper as it was opening night for her school choir concert. While she and her mother talked about her solo numbers I unloaded Titanium Green and settled in to my downstairs bedroom, helped all the while by both Joey and Chandler, the two felines that would be my charges for week family would be in Hawaii. I knew Joey from last house/cat sitting visit but Chandler came to FVC a few months afterwards. Both are lovely, lovely creatures so I'm quite looking forward to having them for company.

Rae prepared pasta for Judy and Judy's tutor, Diane, a 22 year old college student they have hired to help with Judy's school work/music/singing. As well, Diane, usually picks Judy up from school as Rae travels a fair bit and although Rick works from home he often has to be in LA. Once the young women left, Rae and I had a chance to visit, over large glasses of BV, Beaulieu Vineyard, Rutherford, 2010 Cabbage, 14.5%, with wonderful hors d'oeuvres, delish olivettis, fab cheeses, dried apricots, cashews and almondos,  before Ricardo returned from Hollywood. (He was doing a final music mix before air for a reality show.) Had a chance to actually visit with Rae and learn much about her background. Her father, Les Vogt, (He had quite a musical career himself: http://members.shaw.ca/lesvogt/), was Roy Orbison's Tour Manager, ("In 1976 he moved to Nashville to work exclusively as TM for him and after a short time became the defacto manager and exclusive promoter and for all Roy Orbison concerts in the USA and Canada."), and during the 1980's Rae travelled with him and entourage, (He preferred the bus which carried the support staff to the VIP bus, with better A/C, that her Dad and rest of band occupied. He wanted to spend time with her while her own father did not!), for a number of years, in the summer holidays, selling his albums and T-shirts at various gigs. At the time, Roy's career was waning. It took off again, after he was asked to join the Traveling Wilburys.  Rae attended one of the last concerts he gave, in Vancouver, on December 4th, 1988, two days before he died! She has a picture of Roy, together with her sister, backstage. 

Also had a chance to learn how Rae and Rick met in Vancouver, back in the mid '80's. Quite a fascinating story there too! Just about to get all the gory details when Rick walked in the door so Rae opened a 2012 David Coffaro Zinfandel, 15.5%, to help bring Rick up to speed and after we had had a quick update on his session she popped a stupendous 2012 Rideau Vineyards, (Santa Ynez Valley, Solvang), 2012 Estate Viognier, 15% and we enjoyed it with
bbq'd salmon, baby aspargus and some kind of mixed ancient grain. An incredible carrot-cake for dessert with Quarles Harris 1994 Vintage Porto, fantastico! Three malts to make it all blend together: Grangestone, (highland), 21 years old, 40%; Glenfiddich, 21 years old, 40%; Bruichladdich, 14 years old, The Italian Collection, 46%

Around 10:30 pm Rae tidied up the kitchen and then went upstairs to visit with Judy, now home from the concert. Rick had to do about an hour or so of work so he left me and the malts around 11:00 pm. I sipped and scribed until just after midnight and then I was more than ready for bed. Brushed and flossed and opened  the bedroom window to let the wonderful valley air in and snuggled down on the comfy bed, replaying images of the precipitous drops of Grimes Canyon Road as I drifted off! 

Hi Patrick!

Thanks for your very newsy email! So glad that the last part of your epic trip was enjoyable and your return journey was relatively trouble free. I always find it comforting to get home after a being away for a long period. Krissy was pestering us to come over for Christmas but I don't think I could handle another long haul flight so soon after returning plus she somehow thinks we have money to burn! I think we will remain at home for the winter with maybe the odd weekend break. We plan on going to Malta in the Spring with Maur and Bill and are still debating wether to book on Queen Victoria for a Baltic cruise in August but will decide after Christmas.

Went to visit Tristan a couple of weeks ago. He is becoming so entertaining and has now started to string little sentences together. We will be going up again on Dec 12th for his birthday for a few days. We will spend Christmas at Sydney House and go to Southampton for the New Year to help Marnie and Ant with their move. They have just sold their place and bought a four bedroom house not far from where they presently live. Their present house is a little too small for them and since Marnie works from home a couple of days a week, she needs a room to convert into an office that she can shut off from little sticky fingers!

I managed to fall off a ladder the other day while climbing up into the loft! Ladder went one way and me the other! No major damage just a very sore back for some days. On top of that have had some stomach problems so had to get some medication from the Doc! He advised me to stay off the wine for a couple of weeks which is a killer! Hasn't stopped us from doing things though. Met Gudrun and Steve for lunch and a walk yesterday. They are off to Winbourne today until Sunday. First time they have been up there since the breakup of their daughters marriage. However, they feel they still have a good relationship with their son in law and, of course they still need to visit the boys. They are spending Christmas Eve with us here at Sydney House and will most likely spend the night. Their daughter is driving down from Winbourne with the boys late on Christmas day.

We have several events to go to between now and Christmas at the Hall for Cornwall and the Cathedral. Also a friend of Gayle's is in a choir that is putting on a choral evening at the Truro Methodist Church which we have purchased tickets to. Funnily enough although they have been around a while and recorded a few CD's I have never heard them so this will be a first for me!

Glad to hear Maggie has settled back at Granville Island. She definitely did not seem to enjoy her vacation at the loft! I don't think Chloe enjoyed being woken up in the middle of the night either! Spud is his usual lazy self and shuffles between rooms to eat and sleep with the odd excursion to the garden!

Gayle is cooking dinner tonight. Asparagus Risotto with her freshly baked bread! Only downside is that I can't have a nice glass of vino to go with it! Must go lay the table. Incidentally, Sainsbury kindly sent you a $12 voucher (that should be pounds!) towards wine and, since you can't use it since it expires in December, I took the liberty of using it!

 







No comments:

Post a Comment