Tuesday 19 November 2013

I-5 to Portland Blues: Monday. November 18th

Words are but the signs of ideas. -Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784) 


Noon, Monday, Nov 18th

Transferred back to the Cardio Ward this morning which is the next necessary step towards getting home. They continue to be concerned about my irregular heartbeat - a long standing issue for me - atrial fibrillation.

I'll probably be ready for visitors on Wed but do check before coming or this email address -  Centennial Pavillion, floor 10, section A/B, room1027. Cheers....Paul


Thanks so much for remembering.  No great rush on this end.  Have a lovely Thanksgiving and a safe journey in both directions. All good wishes, Peggie

P, Thanks for hosting the lads last night. It was a fun night. Safe travels. Glorious rides. Be well, W

Pat,
 

thanks again for hosting the lads and plying us with malt. Kudos to Victor for choosing Blood is a Rover which generated some interesting discussion -- even if it was almost unreadable. Welcome to Jon Artano.

I will float the idea of a meeting in early January -- the 12th or the 19th. Let me know if either of those dates work for you . The next book is Blood: The Stuff of Life by Lawrence Hill (George). We are hoping to get Lawrence to attend the NRBC. I will approach him when we can pin down a date for the next gathering. Pat has chosen the title to follow the Hill: Umbrella by Will Self. G


Hi Patrizio, We’re on for the 14th! Just let us know what time and what to bring. CC (also known as Charles in Charge) Charlie

Hi  Folks,

Hope you both are well.  Firstly, I must apologize for this very late letter to inform you that Aunty Mary passed away in July.  Tonight as I was cleaning up some files on my lap top I was horrified to find an unsent letter to you right after her death.  I drafted the letter to you but did not send it as I was under the idea that you were still away on holidays and that I would send it in a few weeks.  In the meantime I bought an ipad which I just love.  Unfortunately, I still do not have it synced to my computer and because I mostly use the ipad or my iphone I never realized it till tonight. 

About 10 days before her death the home care giver found her one morning in bed in a state of confusion and not knowing who or where she was.  She went to hospital and was transferred to hospice where she passed away some 8 days later in her sleep.  My only source of information during this time was from cousin Diane who began to visit every day.  Unfortunately Diane does not have a medical background and was unable to provide me with very much.  Aunty Mary by this time was not eating and had lost weight and no longer conversed with her.  She was receiving pain medication so perhaps it was her suspected colon cancer that did her in.

I always knew that once she went into hospital I would not be going up to visit with her.  I felt that for the last 2 years of travelling every 2 months that I had the best of quality time that I could ever have received.  I have not regrets about that.

She left everything to my brother Ron and he has been such a jack ass towards our cousins Diane and her sister Chris.  He never did call Diane to inform her that A.M. was sent to hospital and he had her cremated even though he knew she wanted to be buried!  We all knew that but she would not put it in her will because she said she had discussed her wishes with him along with her bedroom suite  to be given to my daughter Shanna and some large framed needlepoint pictures were to be given to Diane, Chris, and their other sister Lorraine.   Sadly, no one has received anything.  I talked the other night to Aunty Mary's first cousin Helen Slobodian who said Ron called her in August willing to sell her the 4 chairs to Aunty Mary's dining table for $25 per chair.  She declined just on principle.  Her daughter has the identical suite to A.M.'s and Helen always told AM that her daughter would like more chairs.  Obvious Ron paid attention to AM when she told this story.  Diane was called to the hosp the night when AM passed as they could not get hold of Ron.  He was not very pleasant towards seeing Diane and when she mentioned the needlepoints he just said she would just have to wait to see what was in the will.  What a pr_ _ _!!!  AM had such faith in him.

Life around here has been so busy.  Shanna and her husband bought a farm last month.  It is 90 acres and is right next door to the 80 acres that they already own and were just in the process of designing her dream home with the architect when this came up for sale.  Actually a couple of months before they heard thru the grapevine that this farm was for sale but were unable to find anyone home and nor could their agent.  They let the idea go and began to concentrate on their home instead.  then one day in late september they are told the farm was again for sale.  In 48 hrs they were the new owners.

Cory would love nothing better than to be able to quit his job in manufacturing and concentrate solely on farming.  These past 2 years he has raised a couple of cows, 50, chickens and 13 sheep all on their own land but all had to be slaughtered in the fall because there were no barns on their property and it is very costly  to build as you could imagine.  He already has orders for next year.  As you know, everyone wants to know where and how their meat comes from and programs like marketplace, 5th estate etc are certainly helping his business.

The farm comes with a 100 yr old farm house which at closing time they were told that it used to be the post office for the surrounding area.  It has an ultra modern barn and a professional sized green house.  For the past month contractors have been working on the house as well as shanna, Cory and other family members.  Ripping out laminate flooring to expose the original hardwood floors, removing wall paper, upgrading  the electrical, you name it.  They are exhausted in addition to having to go to work at their own jobs. 

They are hoping to rent their home here in the city but so far there is little interest shown. The rental agency(a former cop at the station with Shanna) said that nov and dec are the 2 worst months for transfers.  Fortunately for them they are able to live at home while the farm is being renovated.  With so much activity going on in the farm house they simply could not live there.  Unfortunately, they are having to make payment on 2 properties for the next while.  I have been spending time at their city house just sprucing up the place.  Again, a few jobs where more than what I was bargaining for.  A paint chip on the door frame had me scraping off all the paint and sanding the wood and now applying the proper paint etc.  Transplanting plants so that next spring we can transfer to the farm.  Lots and lots of work at both places.

Well, I guess it is time to ask my question of you which is what brought me to the computer in the first place.  Cory and Shanna are going again to Costa Rica in February and their friend has asked if they would bring him a bottle of single malt whiskey.  Is single malt scotch whiskey the same thing?  If not could you suggest the name of a single malt whiskey in case we have to get the liquor store to order it.

What do you think of Toronto's crack smoking mayor?  Are you getting ample coverage about Mayor Rob Ford?  The news media keeps saying that his coverage is world wide.

Take care and again I do apologize for being not so computer savy. Simone










 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment