Friday 29 November 2013

Black Friday Blues: Friday, November 29th!

The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been. -Madeleine L'Engle, writer (1918-2007) 


Spent the day at Aunt Leah's Tree lot on 54th and Granville St. Many thanks to all the volunteers (Lawrie Morgan) for coming out!! Even though I didn't see you!
Aunt Leah’s Place helps prevent children in foster care from becoming homeless, and mothers in need from losing custody of their children. To support them on their journey to self-sufficiency, we provide supported housing, job training and coaching on essential life skills.













































Aunt Leah's Tree lots are in Immediate need of volunteers for our Coquitlam & North Vancouver locations. Our Tree Lots raise money to provide young mothers with a home.

Patricio, I trust you had a groaning table (many wine bottles, at least a few scraps of food) for the traditional Yankee Thanksgiving.  We did not suffer. Luckily a cute 20 year old was there to keep me company bending the elbow!!! I am planning to make you a scrumptious feast tomorrow evening!! I expect you plan to roll in around sunset? We'll have your quarters ready for you.  Then museum Sunday morning. Cact.
I just talked it over with Nancy. She has her art class then, and it's my normal swim time (i.e., many seals will be awaiting fish tossed their way from my hands).  Since the show IS in town til Jan. 20, why don't you take it in by yourself and we'll go over on our own sometime when it works for us.  That way you won't be impeded by my turtle's pace viewing a museum show....

Hello Cactooosian and Donna Florida!

While I am devastated not to have your turtle company at the Hockney exhibition I understand that you other commitments are far more important than spending time with your favourite Canadian visitor. Not to worry, I will note this in my little black book and keep it ready when the time is ripe for revenge! I think you might need to revisit your travel plans for north of the 49th parallel!

No big deal, of course. I'll make my way to the de Young unaccompanied and un-aided by local knowledge but who cares if I make a wrong turn while Naughty Nancy is daubing canvas and Cactoosian is feeding the slippery seals!

I am stopping at Macy's at 9:05 am to take advantage of a sale and then blasting north to the inhospitality of Villa Vicente. At least Boris and Natasha are more than welcoming, sharing the same sort of rejection, I am sure, I have been subjected to.

Alejandro came by for dinner and just left for work, Buffalo Wild Wings Sports Bar, beautiful downtown Burbank, waiting on tables, raking in the tips, and Xavierino is about to arrive for nosh before he has to leave for Sound, his regular security gig. All is well although my heart is heavy. Northern Californians are so superficial. You think that they are friends and then they stab you in the back, chortling as they walk away! E Tu Brute? Nonetheless, Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio, Wounded Knee/Heart Dunn!

Pics: Our Thanksgiving! Sweet dreams (catlike) and see you tomorrow....

Happy Birthday!

thank- you for your email, as always you are leading a busy and interesting life!
Ron and I are presently on a bus from Letterkenny, Ireland, heading south to Dublin. In Letterkenny, we visited a doctor friend that Ron worked with in Lesotho, 28 yrs ago.  he is still working like a mad man, 8:30ish to 9 pm ish, crazy!   His wife is great, a devout Catholic. They have 6 kids who range between 21 - 31 yrs old.
 

We borrowed their car  Erragan Mt, but it was too mucky. We then went to visit a castle nearby and walked the 4 km to the castle and hiked the surrounding hills. We have one more day in Dublin and we will run, shop, and have dinner with Sam and his girlfriend, Kayla, and then we head home on Sat Nov 30th.

Sam and Kayla are 2nd yr medicine and working all the time.  We wanted to visit them to check out their life.  We stayed downtown Dublin and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.  As always our trip was too short, 8 days, but what can I say, ron said he couldn't take more time off work, not true!

C'est la vie! I am planning to be in Van in late February, are you around?  I would love to go on a bike ride. Say hi to Corrine ! Love Rhoda



No comments:

Post a Comment