Friday 20 September 2013

Beau Soleil Blues: Sunday, September 22nd, Béziers or Bust!

Fame is a vapor; popularity an accident; the only earthly certainty is oblivion. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910) 


Up at 7:23 am, a bit later than I had hoped to rise, as I had a busy morning/aftrenoon ahead, to ready Beau Soleil for The Sisterhood, en route from Florence, (She left Firenze at 9:30 pm, Saturday night, [Only great good fortune allowed her to discover she was at the wrong station and only had 45 minutes to get from Santa Maria Novella, the main railway station, to Florence Campo di Marte, to arrive at Gare du Lyon to make TGV connection to Béziers. God only knows what would have happened if she had missed the train out of Florence as she would not have arrived in Béziers as expected.

Once I'd discovered she was not on the train I'd have had to return to Neffiès to monitor email as this is the only way we can communicate. There is no phone at Beau Soleil and neither of us has a cell phone along. Given the fact that the overnight trains only leave once a day, Tuesday afternoon would have been earliest she could have expected to arrive! On the bright side, two extra days of unfetterage!], occupying a couchette, private berth, nothing but the best for Madame Coriandre, to arrive in Paris at 10:30 am, leaving on TGV at 12:10 pm from there to make Béziers at 4:28 pm.

Stripped the bed as soon as I was up and put the sheets and pillow cases in to the washing machine so that I could hang them up to dry while I went for my ride. While I was waiting, I gave my Navigator a thorough  cleaning with the detergent/de-greaser I'd purchased in York. Once I'd rinsed it I left the bike to dry and had a bowl of my red kidney bean cassoulet for breakfast. Hung up laundry on the line in the back patio and the went back downstairs to oil the gears and chain. Quite pleased with my shiny steed, I went back upstairs to suit up.

 By the time I'd done a few more chores it was close to 1:00 pm so I knew I'd only have time for a relatively short ride. Knowing this I set off up Mont Neffiès to make a loop through Cabrières, (my tires almost sticking to the road near the cooperative there, grape juice leakage from the wheeled bins pulled by small tractors to the crush pad, vendage continues), Péret, Fontès and then back up and over Mont Neffiès for a quick run into Roujan to loop back through the vineyards, (a lone harvester making its mechanical way along the rows), and home. Another lovely, lovely day with only a slight breeze so that made ride even more enjoyable. Stats for ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/379497506#.Uj73emeQvS4.email


Sheets and pillow cases were dry by this time so after I had a quick shower and had changed, I made the bed. Had a quick Instanto and it was time to leave for train station.  Roads are even quieter on Sunday, form my experience, so I literally zipped into Béziers, pulling up in front of the station to see Cora Le pulling her bag along the sidewalk. Busy place so I had to pull ahead a bit to find a temporary parking space. She had already opened the trunk by th etime I was out of the car. Quick fond embrace and a few kisses and I loaded her bag and we set off for Neffiès.

Loads to talk about on way back so we caught up on our time apart. I pointed out the various villages I'd often cycled through as we made our towrds Neffiès adn we were soon climbing the stairs to the second floor of Beau Soleil. Once I carried Cora lee's suitcase upstairs and she did a bit of unpacking I opened Le Petit Olivier, Faugères, 13%, the rosé, Mourvèdre, Cinsault and Grenache left for me by Simon and Dina, the owners, and put out some of the black olives and the wedge of cheese I'd picked up at the Saturday market. We toasted one another and continued to catch up.

Dinner: steak, mushrooms, zuchinni yellow/green, tomatoe, green saladin, dessert Cassis sherbert, Downtown Abbey! Pastis, bed around midnight!

2011 Gravas, 14.5%, 

Hi again, Bob!

Thanks so much for your Oregon Odyssey! What a fabulous trip. What incredible scenery and countryside. Not quite sure why but I tend to forget how dry, desolate and magnificently rugged are parts of this fascinating state. Have never been where you dared to go but have visited Yakima and Walla Walla numerous times, wine-tasting of course, and there is a stretch between Ellensburg and Yakima that looks quite like the surface of the moon. Again,as I need not tell you, Intrepid Explorer that you are, this is but a continuation of the Okanagan Valley and so, I think, on into Oregon, roughly, geographically/climatically, speaking. 


Anyway I was more than delighted to have enjoyed more of your wonderful photographs and informative travelogue. I'm surprised there wasn't some graffiti scrawled in the dust covering your aging Matrix: "Pronghorns Go Home!" It seems as if Ellie is a felicitous travelling companion so am pleased that things are working out for you both.

Fondestos to you and Ellie! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi No Longer Nicotine Man, I trust!

Interesting that you sent along clip of John, (I knew him as "Jack"), Foster! His ex-wife, Jocelyn Godolphin, was a classmate of Cora Lee's in Library School, as it was then called, back in the '70's. I was a year ahead but knew most of Corinne's classmates as the School limited enrollment to about 40-50 students per year.



I didn't know Jack all that well in those years but came to know him when I worked in ILL, in the 90's and until he retired. I liked him, to the extent I had any dealing s with him, as he was friendly, affable and self-deprecating, qualities that many of his academic colleagues did not possess. At any rate, glad to have seen this snapshot of his life. I did not know he had returned to Ireland. Haven't seen Jocelyn since 2007 when she was at a CLA conference in St John's. I drove to Newfoundland with Sarge earlier and met Cora Lee there as she was still working at the time. Jocelyn was a colleague at the UBC LIbrary but moved to Montreal with her second husband, Jim Henderson, when he became Head of the McGill Medical Library. Jocelyn eventually became head of the HSS Reference Division there, although I believe she has now retired from that position. From other classmates I gather they plan to return to BC. Whether they have done so, I don't know.

Fondestos to you and Natalia! Cheers, Patrizzio!  
Hello Sino-Naramatians!

Trust you are both well.
Have been meaning to say hello for ages but no time, even in Paradise! Interestingly enough, had a message from Paul Whitney, (He wanted to know if we wished to join their table at the opening event for VWF.  As it turns out, I'm actually volunteering at (G)Literati, pouring wine! (Why am I typecast?) Had a message from Kathryn, Volunteer Co-ordinator, asking if I would as I gather they were short of help. Pleased to do it. Guess I'll see all the beautiful people there!), and he and Joan probably just missed Cora Lee as she was leaving from Stazione Ferroviaria di Firenze for Paris and thence to Béziers where I am to collect her, if I've not had too, too much Pastis, this afternoon!
 

Not quite sure where you are, in terms of being home or already travelling, but you will notice that I forwarded an interesting video clip, (from one of my Book Club members), of Jack Foster. Do you know if Jocelyn/Jim are back in Vancouver/BC? Anyway, another reason why I wanted to send along a message.  Fondestos to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

 Ni hao Patrick,

It was good to get your latest news and good to hear that you're having a relaxing time in Languedoc.  Sorry to hear about Corinne's tailbone - hopefully it will recover so she can sit up at the bridge table for your upcoming cruise, which sounds heavenly.
 

We finally have a day off from touring.  We finished our China tour yesterday and have a free day in Shanghai before flying to Hanoi tomorrow via Hong Kong.  Hopefully the typhoon will have blown over so we won't have any disruption in Hong Kong - yesterday most flights there were cancelled.  Our trip has been really busy, and quite an eye opener.  We've pretty well had our fill of Chinese food for awhile.  We've also eaten far too much, with two weeks still to go in Vietnam and Cambodia so we'll have to be sure to take advantage of every  workout opportunity along the way.  Not sure if my plans were set last time we talked, but after Vietnam I'm headed directly to Johannesburg and onward to Madagascar for a consulting job.  Lynnie will head home from Ho Chi Minh City on October 10, and I'll be away until October 22.  It's likely I'll miss the grape harvest, as the crop is very  early this year.  Fortunately the good folk from Nichol winery will fill in if I'm not there to organize the pick.
 

China is just amazing. Some of the cities we've visited include Beijing (20 million), Tianjin (12 million), Xi'an (10 million), Chongquin (33 million), Wuhan (10 million, Shanghai (23 million) and Suzhou (10 million).  Everywhere you look, the sky is full of building cranes. It's a bit hard to take it all in.  We spent five days cruising down the Yangtze, including a visit to the 3 Gorges Dam, where 1.3 million people were relocated to make way for flooding.

Attached are a few photos - the bullet train to Tianjin and the speed we hit; with my former Klohn Crippen colleagues who happened to be on the trip, taken in the Tianjin Museum; in Tienanmen Square; Lynne on the Great Wall (it was foggy that day); touring the old neighbourhoods of Beijing in a rickshaw; the terracotta warriors that were unearthed in 1974 near Xi'an, used to guard an emperor's tomb; in the three Gorges; entering a shiplock in the Three Gorges;  Shanghai.
 

I'm so envious of the good wine at cheap prices that you are enjoying.  Alcohol is a big problem in China, with extremely high taxes.  At the Beijing Westin where we stayed our first few days, the restaurant charged $18 for a small glass of mediocre wine.  Needless to say, after one such experience we didn't order any more.  I've been forced to endure the beer, which is cheap and fairly tolerable.  Fortunately I had the foresight to pick up a bottle of 15 year old Glenlivet at YVR for sipping on the boat cruise.  Wine was included at dinner on the boat, not great but passable.

All the best for the rest of your European travels.  We'll look forward to catching up in the fall. Peter


Hi Tiptoe! Trust you are well. Have been meaning to say hello for ages. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrice!

Hello Big Al and Sunshine Valley Girl!

Trust you are both well.
Have been meaning to say hello for ages but no time, even in Paradise! Fondestos
and Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hello Big Al!

Trust you are well.
Quite enjoyed the helpful tips. Go Green!
Cheers, Patrizzio!



What a fascinating holiday.  You're obivously enjoying your days on the Continent.  Me? well,  I've rendered somewhat immobilized.  I went fishing on the Squamish in mid August and somehow aggravated an old knee injury, such that I have had to rely on velcro/neoprene wraps and a cane to get about.  Its a bursitis of the inner tendon of the left knee, called pes anserine bursitis.  Very painful even when prone.  But, one of my doctor colleagues took pity on me.  He was concerned that nearly a month had gone by and there seemed to be little progress in the condition, notwithstanding my icing my knee, wrapping and elevating it and taking an inordinate amount of ibuprofen.  He called in a prescription for Anthrotec, an anti-inflammatory contaning diclofenac, and within 48 hours the improvement was remarkable.  I'm at 80% now I reckong-my foot is a bit swollen and my left ankle seems mildly sprained on account of the change in my gait when the knee was bad.  I had to cancel a fishing trip to Quatsino sound on the north end of Vancouver Island which I sorely missed.

Still chairing the mental health panels.  We had to adjourn a hearing the other week where it was obvious the patient was, from her thick accent and her name, from either Germany or Austria.  I explained to her why we were postponing the panel and at the end said: "Alles klar?" She replied "Alles klar, Kommissar!".

Below is one of the pink salmon I caught on the Squamish as my knee was about to quit:
 
Hello Patrick,
 

Wow.  It certainly sounds like you are having a fantastic holiday.  And thank you for the pictures and the great description of your trip.  I am jealous of your adventures.  As I have recently started my job with ICBC I have no holidays so this summer has been nothing but long weekends here and there.  Now having said that I am certainly happier at ICBC than I was at KPMG.  The stress to sell and bring in work is pretty big.  Now I can just sit back and let the work come to me.  Much better. 

I am still reading and keeping an active mind.  And Ia am still keeping fit by running.  But can you believe that I have not ridden my bike at all this summer!  I bought a camera at the beginning of the summer so I was focusing a lot of my attention on trying to learn my camera as well as getting out there and doing some photography.  All of this has managed to cut in to my time regarding getting out on the bike!

The girlfriend moved in back in March (I think I knew that though) and that is going well.  We are starting too look at homes, but wow.  They definitely are expensive!  And of course when I look at what homes cost in other parts of the country, it is definitely hard to take.  But I guess when you look at how amazing it is to live here, it kind of makes sense why homes cost what they do.  Of course that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Thanks again for all of the hospitality with the book club.  I enjoyed my time there and it was always great to sample some of the scotch that you had.  The collection is impressive!  Trouble it I was just not dedicating enough time to reading the books and attending the meetings to make it fair to you and the rest of the members.  I do hope some day to catch up with you guys again.  And who knows?  The world is a small place so I'm sure we'll meet up for a bike ride sooner or later. Cheers,..Dave

Stats for Sunday's ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/379497506#.Uj73emeQvS4.email

Hey Patrizzio!


So good to hear from you and it sounds as if you are doing quite well living the good life. Mucho impressed with your cycling stats, especially at your age. I believe I’ve mentioned my best friend and roommate in school Barry (from college and rock band days). He is even older than you (my age!) and rides semi-competitively and now living in San Diego, at last leaving the confines of the more inhospitable, wintry East Coast. He is also very much like you – a warm and VERY engaging fellow. But enough about you!



Yes, just saw recently where the accuweather site now offers fairly good 45 day reports of the weather all over which we advertised in one of our recent  travel club newsletters.



We are getting ready for our big 21 day South Africa adventure leaving on Oct 6. We will not return until the end of October.  Will be in touch when we (and you) return. Charlie

 Hi Patricovich,


Your stories continue to bring back nostalgic memories of the beautiful rides.  We biked to Gabian several times but we always took back roads through the hills  and farms and avoided main roads.  We had 4 very detailed ordnance survey maps of the area that had every road and path on them.  We bought these at a bookstore in one of the towns.  Google maps don't have enough information.



Isn't it amazing to see the grapes being harvested. The charcuteries are amazing. And the cheeses.  My own favourite personal cheese is Morbier.   Make sure you get to know the people who run the local store.  They are excellent people.  And they have a surprisingly good selection of charcuteries and cheeses. I have passed on your greetings to Claire, and she is enjoying your fascinating stories as well. Dennis

Thanks for the update Patrick - makes me tired reading it what with all the cycling. Speaking of cycling, it is in my good books as there is this race on in Florence all week which has led to many street closures. Motorists and taxi drivers are pissed off but for us humble pedestrians are enjoying a blessed reduction in the Florence traffic. Also at play apparently are the interventions of a new activist mayor who has reduced traffic volumes in the city centre. 


It took me one day to settle into the rhythms of the former monastery I'm staying in in the hills above the city (Joan is on a northern Italy garden tour while I await a presentation I'm giving to a bunch of Italian academic librarians on Friday following 2 lectures in Parma). What I was told was an informal presentation turns out to be a keynote at a gathering of 200. I'm working in prep given my new understanding of what is expected along with bus trips into town to wander and look at art and architecture. Hooking up with Joan again in Venice at the beginning of October - contemporary art awaits - and then on to Berlin with friends we are meeting in Venice for more art and good food.

We are back in Vanc on Oct 15 and will certainly see you at the WF Gala. We will have to arrange a get together with Kjell and Jane before he leaves on Nov 14. To be discussed - at our place perhaps. In case you haven't heard, he isn't drinking these days which sets him apart as well as being 6' 5" and Swedish. He's still one of us and it is good to have him around.


Take care and don't over exert yourself.  Cheers....Paul

The high-minded man must care more for the truth than for what people think. -Aristotle, philosopher (384-322 BCE)  I dream my painting, and then I paint my dream. -Vincent van Gogh, artist (1853-1890)



 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment