Friday 20 September 2013

Beau Soleil Blues: Saturday, September 21st

Those who know nothing of foreign languages know nothing of their own. -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, dramatist, novelist, and philosopher (1749-1832) 

 
Hello Field of Wrath, (If you annoy them, They will depart!), and Moulin à Vent, (closest approximation of "Whirlygig I can find!):

I beg to differ. Titanium Man left, not because he hadn't time to read any NRBC assignments but rather because he was unable to log any decent distances on his bike. Think he must suffer from the "I only cycle for fun" Syndrome! Speaking of individual who first exhibited this psychological malady, Grogg and Sarge had dinner in Paris last night!




Off to the Saturday Marché in Pézenas this morning. By now I know, in passing, quite few of the regulars, both at the market and in town, so it is fun to make the rounds. Cora Lee arrives in Béziers at 4:28 pm on Sunday so I have to start vacuuming now! Cheers, Patrizzio/Il Conduttore!

Pics:  Moon Thursday night, Werewolves of Neffiès, Aaoooooo!; sky from balcony in living room last night; Pastis with a Vermentino-Roussanne chaser, far tastier than porch-climber or chain de-greaser!


Up at 6:37 am as wind continued its all night gusts. Only one Instanto possible as I'm out of milk! Poor planning on my part so I guess I'll have to use Pastis!

2010 Domaine des Prés Lasses, (20% Carignan, 30% Grenache, 10% Mourvedre, 30% Syrah, 10% Cinsault), Faugères, (rode through village earlier today, about 20 km from where I'm staying in Neffiès), 15%, €11/$15.32, wonderfully, wonderfully spicy, with ripe red fruit flavours and subtle wild herbs, finishing with silky-fine tannins, that I picked up at my favourite wine store, Cave Alain Reinaldos , wine store, while at the Pézenas Saturday Marché.

 Hello Aquarium People!

Sounds like a reception fabulo! Please pass along best wishes and congrats to Stacee and Sean. If Concorde was still around I'd hop it, crash bash, steal a glass of champers and toast newlyweds!
Fondestos from my spartan cell to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Jean and John and Hounds!

Sounds like a summer fabulo! Thanks for the wonderful snaps. Really enjoyed seeing Il Professore! Haven't had time to look at all the links you provided but will do when I've a moment. Not quite sure when that might be as
time is marching on as I'm sure I need not tell you! At any rate, loads to talk about when next our paths cross, I trust, sooner than later.



Fondestos from my spartan cell to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Titanium Man! Sorry to see you go but Buona Fortuna! Trust all goes well at ICBC. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Raymond and James! Trust you are both well. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Pat and Corinne -  trust this finds you well on your travels. Will you be back in town in time for the Writers Fest Gala (Mon Oct 21st?). If yes, do you want to join a table I'm putting together or can I otherwise arrange to get some tickets for you?
I'm currently in the hills above Florence staying at an old abbey which reeks of atmosphere and has beautiful views of the old city. Next up I have to figure out how to get into town.
Cheers.....Paul 

Hi Paolo and Joan!

Trust you are both well.
Interestingly enough you probably just missed Cora Lee as she was/is leaving from Stazione Ferroviaria di Firenze for Paris and thence to Béziers where I am to collect here, if I've not had too, too much Pastis, tomorrow afternoon!

Thank you for the kind invitation to join your table but as it turns out, I'm actually volunteering at (G)Literati, pouring wine! (Why am I typecast?) Had a message from Kathryn asking if I would as I gather they were short of help. Pleased to do it. Guess I'll see you there! Not sure if Coriandre has volunteered for same but since I've copied her on this message, perhaps she'll respond, perhaps she won't!

In case you can't figure out how to get into town and don't have any reading material!
Fondestos from my spartan cell to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Pics:  from market this morning: Katia and Jean Marc my favourite charcuterie booth. 

We'll monsieur patrice this is the first time I have read your epistle to le fin! Am on train 720 to city as hoping to get into the gherkin as part of open house London so amusing reading on my journey. 

What a performance with Jamie - I was amazed he could ride back from the winery. Quite a liability on all counts! Michel is taking his grandson out today and I am meeting Bruno and Lynda in town.  Seeing Carol later as she is having something done to her eyes and needs me to drive.  Will stay at m s afterwards. Have fun with ye lovely wife P x 


Hello Duhlink!

I knew you cared for Jamie more than me! Your concern is touching but we weren't riding at the fainting stage. Thank goodness!

Trying to log as many miles as poss before The Sisterhood hits town.
After I'd been to the Pézenas Saturday Marché this morning/early afternoon, I went for a grand ride but I won't bore you with the details since Sir James doesn't figure in the scheme of things!

Time for some Pastis as I've almost finished, (Please don't text Coriandre on the overnight train from Firenza to Parigi and thence to Béziers!), the 2010 Domaine des Prés Lasses, (20% Carignan, 30% Grenache, 10% Mourvedre, 30% Syrah, 10% Cinsault), Faugères, (rode, as you will know if you had read message in its entirety, through village earlier today, about 20 km from where I'm staying in Neffiès), 15%, €11/$15.32, wonderfully, wonderfully spicy, with ripe red fruit flavours and subtle wild herbs, finishing with silky-fine tannins, that I picked up at my favourite wine store, Cave Alain Reinaldos , wine store, recommended by Alain himself, while at the Pézenas Saturday Marché.

Fondestos to Madcap and Unrequited Love to you, Dearest Penelope! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Patrick James Dunn Looks terrific and Cora Lee can eat Ancient Grains so that makes it even better. Come on over and try my cassoulet, paired with a 2010 Domaine des Prés Lasses, (20% Carignan, 30% Grenache, 10% Mourvedre, 30% Syrah, 10% Cinsault), Faugères, (rode through village earlier today, about 20 km from where I'm staying in Neffiès), 15%, €11/$15.32, wonderfully, wonderfully spicy, with ripe red fruit flavours and subtle wild herbs, finishing with silky-fine tannins, that I picked up at my favourite Cave, wine store, while at the Pézenas Saturday Marché. Pic shows my first cassoulet but I've been refining it ever since! Cheers!

Today's ride:  Today's weight: 79.4 kg=175.05

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/379045605#.Uj3gQ_L_4Fs.email 

1 sec for 400 pounds!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/10319792/Road-bikes-how-much-time-does-your-money-buy-you.html

Hi Raymond and James!

I quite enjoyed the Jonny Cooper four bike comparison video. Cost relative to time advantage is well taken but since I'm really only interested in longish rides, anywhere between 50km-100km, (depending on time, weather, latte companions, etc,), the weight factor is more of an issue for me. Per esempio, if I had my Trek Madone I know that my rides would be easier and probably longer. Not that I'm not happy with the Navigator, I am, but having a lighter bike, within reason, in terms of cost, certainly contributes to the enjoyment and possibility of what I want to do.

As an example, after I'd been to the Pézenas Saturday Marché this morning/early afternoon, I went for a ride. Since yesterday's outing was a very good one for me,I decided I'd do a bit of exploring and try to figure out how some of the surrounding villages that I'd not yet visited, fit together, in terms of my plan for 100 km+ rides. Had a pretty good idea about some of the spatial relationships after yesterday's ride but I had never been able to figure out route from Vailhan to Gabian so that was my first objective.  

Left Beau Soleil at shortly before 5:00 pm and was pleased that head wind was more of a breeze, at least initially, than the gale force battering ram it had been over last three rides. I set off to scale Mont Neffiès, cutting over after about 2.5 km worth of climb to take the cross-hill route to drop into Vailhan. Once here I was at a loss to discover where the road/lane leading to Gabian, (as shown on Google Maps), connected with route I was quite familiar with. I assumed it had to be close to the campsite, at the bottom of the hill out of Vailhan towards Roujan, I'd noticed on previous rides. Nevertheless, I had never seen a sign for Gabian so I was sorely perplexed!

More by luck than good management I found what I was looking for as two cars were coming towards me, off to my left so I assumed/hoped they had traversed route I was seeking. Only sign in sight indicated overflow parking for campsite, otherwise unsigned in terms of geographical directions, so that is probably why I'd not noticed or paid any attention to road before. At any rate, I found myself on a very decent, albeit fairly narrow track, and after the first reasonable climb I was, more or less, on a fairly level plane and could simply enjoy the relative remoteness and tranquility of my surroundings. More vineyards, of course, but not as many planted as in the surrounding valleys.

Simply wonderful to explore the surrounding area in this way and I was pleased that I'd decided to reconnoiter. At about the 10 km mark the lane I was on intersected with the road to Gabian and as I'd descended this section twice already I knew exactly where I was headed. Had forgotten what a terrific rush it was to sail along this stretch at 40 km+ without having to do a lick of work. Into Gabian, looking for a sign directing me to Laurens, my next objective. Could only find pointers to villages I'd ridden to before so decided I'd head for Faugères, a destination I'd been avoiding as I knew it was hill country! In fact, this year's Tour, Stage 7, went from Montpellier through Pézenas/Roujan and Faugères, en route to Albi, so I was in good company! In fact when I started the long, slow, gradual climb out of Gabian it turned out to be not nearly as difficult as I had assumed it would be. Road is wide with a very good surface. Wind was moderate so not really a factor and I quit eenjoyed the steady but not punishing grind. Bit of blow as I neared the top of the ascent but not much compared to what I'd endured on last rides so I spit in the face of the gusts and carried on.

About mid-way between Gabian and Faugères there was a trun-off to Laurens but by this time I wanted to see if i could reach the latter so I kept going. Finally reached the last curve to the top of the last hill, close to the turn-off to Roquessels, on my right, and I dropped down and then up again, into Faugères itself. Pleasant hill village from what I could take in so decided I'd ride through it, all uphill, and see what I could see. Having become somewhat familiar with the traffic layout of French villages I assumed there might be a roundabout somewhere which might direct me to a place I knew or was vaguely familiar with. Turned out to be the case and I was rewarded for my optimism by finding myself on a wide shouldered, well paved thoroughfare, headed to Laurens!

The descent was a giddy glide, topping 50 km/h at times, with but little, if any effort, on my part, gravity slingshot-ting me along, all the way to  Magalas. En route I passed Laurens so perhaps I'll explore the approach mentioned earlier, at some point. Once in Magalas I knew, more or less where I was and where I wanted to go, although I'd never approached the town from this direction before. Headed for Fouzilhon but when I reached the intersection I'd taken a number of times before, I decided to make directly for Roujan to continue scoping routes not yet travelled. Glad that I did as grade into Pouzolles is slightly downhill so once again, I was zipping along, the wind helping muchly as well,  
From Pouzolles into Roujan it was a bit of a slog, even avenues of plane trees didn't seem to help much as wind breaks against the strongest gusts I'd yet encountered on this outing. Still, I was more than glad to map out this alternative approach to my "hub" town and so I plugged along, my legs noticeably tired by now, I surmise as a result of yesterday's exertion. Once in Roujan and making for Neffiès the last stretch seemed interminable. Where once the unbroken avenue of plane trees had lifted my heart, today I just wanted them to disappear behind me. Literally didn't have the energy to worry myself about my AVG so I knew I was well and truly tired. Still, managed a tiny dipsy-doodle to up the total to just over 53 km so not all was lost, Dear Reader!

Long way of saying that such a ride would have been, I know, much, much easier with a lighter bike. Common sense, of course. Fondestos to Sylvia and Christine. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Some shots from today's market; Katia and Jean Marc, my favourite charcuterie vendors 

P, I am going to try to attend the Wagamis reading. This may be connected to the 'Reconciliation' week that has just past -- honouring the victims of the residential school debacle. 


Sorry to learn that your wine consumption has been rather uninteresting. I gather you cannot get good BC wines there. W


Hello Whirlygig Wagamis!

I'd like to go as well. Let's talk, over our first latte, on The Rum Runner, once I'm back!

Trying to log as many miles as poss before The Sisterhood hits town.
I truly wish you and your Sisterhood could be here to share this remarkable region, for so, so many reasons, cycling aside. Only thing missing is such good friends as yourselves. (How much computer bridge can one play?) Not that I'm lonely but I know this is a real find and would love to share the myriad magnificences/munificences of The Languedoc. But when have you ever paid heed to me? 


Hearst Pool!
Time for some Pastis as I've almost finished, (Please don't text Coriandre on the overnight train from Firenza to Parigi and thence to Béziers!), the uninteresting 2010 Domaine des Prés Lasses, (20% Carignan, 30% Grenache, 10% Mourvedre, 30% Syrah, 10% Cinsault), Faugères, (rode, as you will know if you read message in its entirety, through village earlier today, about 20 km from where I'm staying in Neffiès), 15%, €11/$15.32, wonderfully, wonderfully spicy, with ripe red fruit flavours and subtle wild herbs, finishing with silky-fine tannins, that I picked up at my favourite wine store, Cave Alain Reinaldos , wine store, recommended by Alain himself, while at the Pézenas Saturday Marché. I spit on The Naramata. Can't get, don't want!

Fondestos to Tia Maria and Kerriopolous! Cheers, Patrizzio/Il Conduttore!

Hi again, Maggie!

Wonderful how we are inter-connected! Vera is taill alive and well and living on Aldine. Buona Fortuna with sale of your apt/condo.
I truly wish you and Francesco could be here to share this remarkable region.
Fondestos to you both! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi again, Dennisovitch!

Trying to log as many miles as poss before The Sisterhood hits town.
Fondestos to you and Claire de la Lune! Cheers, Patrizzio!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment