Sunday 22 September 2013

Beau Soleil Blues: Monday, September 23rd, La Reine est arrivé!

In the common words we use every day, souls of past races, the thoughts and feelings of individual men stand around us, not dead, but frozen into their attitudes like the courtiers in the garden of the Sleeping Beauty. -Owen Barfield, author (1898-1997)




"You know who I am."
It's international book week. The rules: grab the closest book to you, turn to page 52, post the 5th sentence as your status. Don't mention the title. Copy the rules as part of your status.
Patrick James Dunn The ROAD from St-Laurent to La Grande-Chartreuse, cleverly engineered by the monks, was made (c. 1510) in order to bring down timber and charcoal from the forests.

Dear Patrick, 

You have been assigned and scheduled as the Sunday Brunch/Tea Set-up&Strike Crew Captain for the 2013 Vancouver Writers Fest!

As soon as possible, please log in to myVolunteerPage.com and click on the Assignments tab to see details about the activities and shifts to which you have been assigned.

If these shifts are good for you, please check CONFIRM.
If you are unable to confirm a shift or shifts, please check DECLINE.
If your availability or qualifications have changed, please update your profile.
I know that this will be an EXCEEDINGLY LONG DAY for you, but we need you.
No other volunteers signed up to Captain these shifts and my charms to induce others to take at least one or two of the shifts FAILED. If you can step into the breach, we'd all be most grateful. Many thanks, Kathryn 

Wendy Porter was devastated when she lost her engagement ring while gardening. Luckily, Chris Turner of Ring Finders and his metal detector came to the rescue.
Hi Yael!

I see you have changed jobs again! Trust all goes well. Fondestos and Cheers to one and all, Patrizzio! 


Would love to do a ride through wine country… How is the trip going? I just saw a photo of you in a warm-looking spot. -A

Hi Flash and The Graveley Sisterhood!

Trust everyone is well.
Have been meaning to say hello for ages but no time, even in Paradise!
Fondestos from both Cora Lee and yours truly, to you and yours. Cheers, Patrizzio/Nanny/Chauffeur/Psychiatrist and Meteorologist all rolled into one tasty chocolate croissant, with magnums of Pastis and Single Malt and an IV on the side!!!!

  • Patrick James Dunn Three Canadian Gargoyles, ossified with malt! This is not the proper way to behave, with decorum, not buffoonery!
Lazy sleep-in until 7:30 am, tip-toeing out of the bedroom to let the tired traveller continue to snore gently, to sleep away her long train journey, while I had my morning java and re-connected to the world. Another lovely morning so am pleased that weather is joining me in welcoming her to Languedoc. Cora Lee made her drowsy entrance around 9:30 am and we spent a quiet morning, continuing to catch up, with each other and family and friends. Around 10:30 am I suited up as I wanted to go for a short ride while Cora Lee took a stroll into Neffiès itself, just to get a sense of the place.

Today's ride, just a quick, short one but was more than pleased with 20.4 km/h AVG, best to date, even if only over 33 km. 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/380113836#.UkAZ50rjSPc.email

The day was grand, with but a very slight breeze so I breezed along. Made for Vailhan, via Mont Neffiès, and encountered more vehicles on the road than ever before, workers participating in the on-going vendage, I was soon to discover when I passed a number of small cars parked next to a huge grape harvester. Was quite relieved not to have had to negotiate passage past such a behemoth on any of the quite narrow sections of the route!

Out of Vailhan I actually achieved my top speed, ever, 68.7 km/h down the hill past L'Auberge du Presbytère, so I was flying high as I sped on towards Gabian, taking the cross-country lane I'd discovered last week. Out of Gabian I took another cross-country lane to put me on the road to Roujan where I had to do a bit of creative dipsy-doodling to avoid having to stop for a huge mobile crane that was inching its way through the narrow streets. Following my nose I looped around the church and cemetery and exited just around the corner from Olive Man's production facility.

Since I was doing quite well, in terms of the time allotment my harsh task mistress had consented to allow me for the outing, I headed for Caux next and had to fight the wind on this section. However, at this point I was just above the elusive  20+ km/h AVG so I was determined to see if I could maintain the speed. Lost a bit of ground on gradual ascent into Caux itself but was back in the safety zone out of village and into small valley towards Fontès. Another struggle up the hill leading to the intersection which would take me back into Neffiès and I was at 19.6 km/h when I reached the top. Wasn't too, too displeased as I knew the long, downhill run, almost all the way home, would hold me in good stead. In fact,  now aided my my former enemy, the wind, I actually touched down on the doorstep of Beau Soleil with 20.4 km/h on the clock! At 33.16 km, not a particularly long ride but certainly a good outing, under severely restricted Sisterhood legislated time constraints!

Ironically in fact, when I knocked on the door to let Cora Lee know I was back, discovered that she hadn't even been into village! She had spent the time I was away removing the polish from her toes and was still unshowered! Anway, I was back and in her good graces: "You're early!" We both showered adn changed and then had a bite to nibble, an apple and some dried sausage, Grignotin Catalan Piment, (5%), and we were off. Stopped at L'Auberge but they were closed for a private party so not even to make a reservation. On into Pézenas to stop at Carrfour. I knew that they stocked some gluten-free items and thought it a good idea for Cora Lee to stock up on such foodstuffs when available as who knew what we would find along the way over the course of the two weeks aboard our Flying BridgePénichette, the french-style barge we were to cruise upon out of Agen.

Shopping finished we asked about buying sim cards for iPads and laptops and were given directions to a computer store a few blocks away. When we found it helpful chap there sent us back in the direction of Carrfour, saying that we could obtain what we wanted at a store nearbye. We couldn't see anything that looked like what he had described so decided to park and stroll around town. As it was Monday, most places were closed, a blow to The Power Shopper. I wasn't fussed as I wanted to take in Scénovision Molière, the film which Jamie had seen the week before, at the Office de Tourisme. Film was about to start, shortly after we arrived so we spent next hour learning about Molière's life and how he came to be associated with Pézenas. Quite interesting, in terms of the dramatic style of his time, and the events leading up to his becoming the renowned playwright the centuries have come to recognize him as.

Once film was over, I decided I'd let Coriandre wander the streets of the Centre Historique to window shop at will while I returned to Carfour to see if I could find the place which sold sim cards. We arranged to meet by the fountain in the square in an hour and went our separate ways. I had an inkling, from what chap at computer store had said earlier that Carrfour was part of a mall, although I'd not explored farther than the supermarket before. Turned out to be the case and I found an Orange outlet, one of France's cell providers, I gather, and was able to buy, and have installed, a sim card for Cora Lee's iPad. Couldn't obtain a dongle for my laptop so will have to search elsewhere, in a larger town.

Back to Carrfour to try to recharge sim card, (add extra gigabytes), but again, cards for iPad, only mobiles, were not available. Still, had accomplished first step so was pleased about that. Hooked up with Cora Lee a few minutes later and after buying a loaf of bread we made our way back to car and thence home.
 
Was close to 7:00 pm when we were back at Beau Soleil and Cora Lee was quite peckish so she immediately set about preparing melon slices draped with Prosciutto and we sat on the deck, armed with a 2012 Ormarine Picpiul de Pinet, 12.5%, to enjoy both the appetizers and the changing ocloures of the evening sky/susnset. Hunger pangs satisfied, we repaired inside to check email. etc., and around 8:30 pm Cora Lee set about preparing her fab meatballs. Using some of the potatoes we had in the fridge she sprinkled them with Herbs de Provence and so we had fried katofellage as well as the overleft veggies from Sunday's dinner and a mixed green saladin. I opened a 2009 Clot de Malibran, 13%, even more pepper and spice on the finish than I had remembered, so it paired exceedingly well with the tender, succulent meatballs courtesy of the new Chef de la Maison. 

Just before we started dinner I happened to hear, on BBC 2, about a programme in which Hugh Laurie examines the way in which the blues has influenced all the types of popular music that we listen to today. I was really keen to hear it as I've been taken with his music ever since I realized that he had a CD out. At any rate, Cora Lee was flipping through the channels to look for something to watch later on and she came across the TV version of his series, Hugh Laurie's Blues Changes so we plunked ourselves down in front of the set and were glued to the screen as he and The Copper Bottom Band mesmerized us. The fact that this installment started off with Alan Price's "Changes", one of my favourite, favourite cuts from the sound track of "O Lucky Man" had me hooked from the very get go! I've included the following programme notes as it brings together, very nicely, an overview of his remarkable career. I realize that most on my devoted readers are probably quite familiar with Laurie's accomplishments but I didn't know many of the specifics:

Actor, comedian and musician Hugh Laurie presents this new series in which he examines the ways in which the blues has influenced all the types of popular music that we listen to today.

Each week he'll be playing a song with his acclaimed Copper Bottom Band and using that as a starting point from which to explore the permutations and permeations of the music that he loves.

Launching the series, Hugh plays and sings Alan Price's "Changes", written in 1973 for the Lindsay Anderson film "O Lucky Man" and explains how that links a World War 1 protest song, a Presbyterian hymn and a Nashville country instrumental before going on to look at the evolution of the blues itself.

Starting with the primitive country blues of Robert Johnson and Charley Patton, Laurie traces the changes in the music through the electric Chicago period of Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf, the soul and rock influences of the 1960s to the blues as we know it today.
A performance film accompanying the series can be seen on the BBC's Red Button service.

Hugh Laurie is an English actor, comedian, writer, musician and director. He first became known as one half of the Fry and Laurie double act, along with his friend and comedy partner Stephen Fry, whom he joined in the cast of A Bit of Fry and Laurie, Blackadder and Jeeves and Wooster from 1985 to 1999.

From 2004 to 2012, he played Dr. Gregory House, the protagonist of House, for which he received two Golden Globe awards, two Screen Actors Guild awards, and six Emmy nominations. He has been listed in the 2011 Guinness Book of World Records as the highest paid actor ever in a television drama, earning £250,000 ($409,000) per episode in House, and for being the most watched leading man on television.

Acting aside, he is an accomplished pianist, leading the Copper Bottom Band in a smorgasbord of traditional jazz and blues which has so far resulted in two critically acclaimed albums and a series of sell-out world tours.

I cannot recommend this series highly enough and even if one doesn't have access to these programmes on TV , BBC, via the Net makes it possible to listen to it everywhere in the known universe! In fact we listened/watched it again as we did dishes and answered email. 

Into bed a little after midnight, a bit later than I had wanted as we were planning a day trip to Carcassonne on the morrow. I had already made sandwiches, (Cora Lee was to make her own gluten-free ones in the morning), for the excursion but knowing that I had inherited another "Jamie", in terms of an early riser, I was worried that our departure would be delayed until mid-morning. Drive is about 1-2 hours and there is so much to see that it is a good idea to spend as much time as possible wandering the site. Anyway, we are on holiday, I suppose, so just have to let the chips fall where they may!

To be continued... 


Hi Paul and Kjell!

Am including you both, for obvious reasons, but also to bring to your attention, should this be necessary, the wonderful series that Hugh Laurie has on BBC, knowing how knowledgeable and obsessive, one might say, both or at least one of you, happen to be, about music of all sorts! (See below, if you have the fortitude!) I trust all goes well for you both and look forward to seeing you two, along with Joan and Jane, of course in October/November.


Fondestos and Cheers, to one and all, Patrizzio!

Pics: Pézenas and deck at Beau Soleil; some screen shots of Hugh! 

Shibboleth

MEANING:
noun:
1. The use of a word or pronunciation that distinguishes a group of people.
2. A slogan, belief, or custom that's now considered outmoded.

ETYMOLOGY:
According to the Book of Judges in the Bible, the Gileadites used the Hebrew word shibboleth (ear of corn; stream) to identify the fleeing Ephraimites who couldn't pronounce the sh sound. 42,000 Ephraimites were slaughtered. Earliest documented use: 1382.
 
P,
thought this word might have some cache to those of us with the naming disorder.

Believe me, I would dearly love to be there riding in the south of France, and sharing all those amazing places not to mention food and drink -- with or without the sisterhood in tow. Reluctantly agreed that the property search in Squamish would trump the solo trip to France. Mea culpa. Have to live vicariously, I guess. 

Just off for a short camping trip with Jake and Amira in the country near Merritt. Should be fun in the fall weather. It is raining here as you might expect. Safe riding,W
 

Hypocorism

MEANING:
noun
1. A pet name.
2. The practice of using pet names.

ETYMOLOGY:
From Greek hypokorisma (pet name), from hypo- (under) + kor- (child). Ultimately from Indo-European root ker- (to grow), which is also the source of other words such as increase, recruit, crew, crescent, cereal, concrete, crescendo, sincere, and Spanish crecer (to grow). Earliest documented use: 1850.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment