Thursday 19 September 2013

Beau Soleil Blues: Friday, September 20th

What progress we are making. In the Middle Ages they would have burned me. Now they are content with burning my books. -Sigmund Freud, neurologist, founder of psychoanalysis (1856-1939)  

 
Up at 7:59 am after a wonderful sleep. Temperature was just right. Spent a quiet, enjoyable morning working on The Diaries and answering email. Had a bowl cassoulet for breakfast around 10:00 am, a good base for my intended ride to come and before I knew it it was almost 1:30 pm and by the time I'd done a few chores and suited up it was close to 2:30 pm. Having consulted AccuWether.com for the day's forecast I knew that the wind was not nearly as strong as it was yesterday, (between 13 to 10 km/h, out of the NW as opposed to the peak wind speed which exceeded 46.3 km/h!), so I set off, for an up-and-over of Mont Neffiès with high hopes. 

Was almost a poifect day for a long ride as there was quite a bit of cloud cover although the shy was a brilliant bright blue when not obscured. It was only 15º C but it felt far warmer although I never really soaked my top, even on the various long climbs. Once descending Mont Neffiès I wasn't buffetedas I'd been yesterday but the stretch from Cabrières to Clermont-l'Hérault was a struggle until I reached the downhill grade close to town. From there on, through Nébian, past Aspiran, dodging earth moving equipment in Paulhan, on to Lézignan-la-Cèbe, then into Pézenas, ride was exhilarating and I built up some credit for my AVG.

Didn't take long for that to drop as I headed back towards Nizas and then, past the Aérodrome turned off to Caux. Had the wind partially at my back as I made of Roujan so I was pleased about that. Out of Roujan, close to Super U, I took the main road to Aligna-du-Vent and was soon back sailing along. From there on to Servian. On my last ride here I'd taken a wrong turn somewhere along the line, out of Servian, and had ended up on a very busy road which took me, eventually, to Boujan-sur-Libron, near the outskirts of Béziers. I certainly didn't want to do that again. Not only was it like riding on the shoulder of The Island Highway but until I was able to re-orient myself, I inadvertently took off cross-country! Literally, Dear Reader, as I turned onto a side road that was signed, something to the effect that it was only suitable for agricultural equipment, assuming it would be narrow but otherwise passable. I've traversed many such lanes since being here and quite like them  as they usually run between vineyards and I'm all alone, just me and the wind and the odd cricket or praying mantis on the tarmac.  
At any rate, as events unfolded, for next section of ride, until I eventually found myself in Bassan, was nothing but a quasi-nightmare, so I was predisposed to avoid repeating the experience, at all costs. This being the case, I thought I'd follow the sign for Abeilhan as I knew, roughly where this road would take me. All was well as I started to recognize landmarks landmarks as I passed through Coulobres and then I was back on course as I entered Espondeilhan. I've driven and ridden through the town quite a few times so know its approaches quite well. I simply gasp every time I'm in the green tunnel formed by the extended avenue of plane trees which run in an almost unbroken stretch all the way to Pouzolles.

Next on towards Gabian. When mapping out my route I had wanted to circle through Puissalicon but to do so would have meant making for Lieuran-lès-Béziers from Espondeilhan, as I wanted the extra distance. However, by this time, the wind was starting to take its toll and I was more than happy with the shorter course. Once out of Gabian I took D174, a tiny, well surfaced lane that I'd ridden a number of times before so I knew it intersected with D125, the road leading to Vailhan. Once over the hill out of Gabian it is a super rush to fly down the other side. Had to be careful, especially on a number of tight curves as the lane really is a narrow lane and the drop quite precipitous, although not dizzyingly steep.

Once en route to Vailhan I had high hopes of keeping my AVG just above 20 km/h as it was bouncing between 19.9 and 20.1, dependng on the grade and the wind. I knew I had to fight both all the way into Vailhan and such was the case. I was down to 19.6 km/h when I entered and then quickly exited the town, taking the back road to Neffiès. Had the benefit of the wind for most of this section but couldn't regain any ground, although I was heartened to see that I'd not lost any either. Hoped that I'd gain what I needed on last zip down into Neffiès and when I registered 20.0 near the bottom I decided I'd make for Roujan.

I knew that I could probably add a bit to the AVG on the straight, slightly down-hill run there and needed that to counter balance the loss I'd experience on way back into Neffiès, not so much from the wind, but from the slight, constant uphill grade, once one enters village limits. Knowing all this I pedaled as furiously as I could all the way to the turn-off towards Vailhan and when I reached the intersection of D 125 and D 174, (my earlier route out of Gabian), I took my favourite shortcut through the vineyards. The grade, for most of he way, is fairly level and with the wind pushing me along, coming cross-wise, more or less, I maintained 20.1 km/h all the way into town. However, as I took the dog leg towards Ave de Fontès speed dropped to 20.0 so I knew I had to go for broke. Standing up I pushed as hard as I could and pumped my way up the three short, not overly steep climbs to maintain the sought after average. Knowing I had achieved my goal I took a victory dipsy-doodle past Beau Soleil to the area I use as a turn-around, just down the street from our building, returning to pull up at the doorstep, my precious AVG intact!

Was extremely pleased with result. If I had taken this ride, and attempted to maintain or better this AVG, a few weeks ago, I know  the ride wouldn't have been as arduous as today's. The wind factor certainly figured to an extent that it wouldn't have earlier. This makes me wonder if the seasons are changing as I certainly didn't  experience such "gales" on any of my earlier outings. Nonetheless, a wonderful result as far as my own personal goals are concerned, although I may well have to temper any thoughts of longer rides, in time remaining, should the hurricanes continue to roar out of the northwest.

Stats for today's ride and weight, pre-ride: 81.4 kg=179.46 lb, post-ride: 78.3 kg= lb 172.62

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/378536607#.UjyNW-G3jn0.email  
 To be continued... 


Hi Lads! Just came across this:

Our Truth Programming – Richard Wagamese Authoor Reading from Indian Horse

Join us Thursday, October 31st, 2013 at 2:00 in the Lillooet Room (Room 301) at the Irving K. Barber Learning Centre for a reading by author Richard Wagamese from his latest novel, Indian Horse.

In this emotional tale of Saul Indian Horse, Richard Wagamese tells the realistic story of a man whose life is drastically changed by one of Canadas most painful histories. When Saul was a child he was taken away from his family and forced into an Indian Residential School where he witnessed and experienced unimaginable abuses at the hands of the school's educators. In spite of the harrowing atrocities, it is at the school that Saul discovers his love of hockey, a game that, for a short time, serves as a means of escape. Saul's talent leads to a draft with a minor league team and a spot on Team Canada during the 1972 Canada-Soviet Summit Series. However, as Saul grows into a man, he struggles with racism and alcohol addiction. Saul's tumultuous adulthood eventually leads him back to his roots, where he confronts his past and begins a new journey towards healing.
 

This event is free and open to the public but registration is recommended. Registration and more information is available at https://ikblc-wagamese.eventbrite.ca/. Tea and bannock will be served.


Fondestos from my spartan cell to The Brotherhood. Cheers, Patrizzio/Il Conduttore, Diarist and Meteorologist all rolled into one tasty chocolate croissant, with magnums of Pastis and Single Malt and an IV drip on the side!!!!

Pics: Typical rider, by roadside, here in Languedoc; empty test samples!


Just landed in Paris. Wayne  

Hi Sarge!

Glad flight went well and you are headed for your hotel. Where are you staying in The City Of Love? When does Flamin' arrive? Fond regards to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!


We are renting from Hertz but will hope to get to Agen around 4 PM. We drive there from Rose Mary's. Wayne

We are in Marias District. Michele arrives tomorrow. Wayne                                                          Hi again, Sarge!

Great place to stay! As I understand it, "the 3rd arrondissement of Paris, situated on the right bank of the River Seine, is the smallest in area after the 2nd arrondissement. The arrondissement contains the northern, quieter part of the medieval district of Le Marais." If I remember correctly, you will be relatively near, I think, to the great restaurant we ate at, one night towards the end of our stay, La Robe et le Palais. Lucky you! Have the Millionaires treat you there!

From what you say, when leaving Rosemary and Andre in Chabeuil, your route will mirror our possible 3 hour one, almost exactly, once you are past Narbonne. Everything going smoothly for both parties, we'll most likely be in Agen around the same time. If I have correct Hertz location, it is almost the same distance from Locaboat as is Europcar, but a bit to the southeast.

Another glorious day here and wind seems to have died down. Last night was first time I've used a light blanket. Wind howled and moaned most of the night, not that I minded, and it was cooler than it has been since I arrived. Perfect for sleeping, for me, but I'm sure Coriandre will want the duvet when she arrives!

Keep me posted on your time in Paris, when you've time and inclination. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: What I use in my camel pack!


I think the obit is wonderful. Doesn't disguise John's life but celebrates the positive.

How are you all doing? Last day in paradise. Off to Florence tomorrow to catch train.

Love, Mom/CoraLee
 
Hi the train gets in at 16:28 from Paris. TGV 6211. Suitcase is packed, we leave here at 9 am but first must get Robyn to Chusi to get her train to Rome.
 

Had great day in Pienza yesterday. Wonderful walled Renissance town. Meals have been great had rabbit wrapped in bacon last nite and mushroom risotto. Will finish all the left overs tonight. Looking forward to France. Much love, Corinne
 

Hello Duhlink, and Goils!

Glad all goes well. Rabbit sounded fabulo indeed! Made a reservation at Les Goutailles, just a block away,last night for Thursday evening. I have been by the place a number of times. Looks like a lovely place and was almost completely filled with what I took to be British couples. Strange to hear so much English spoken at one time, in one place. Haven't had any real difficulty with language since arriving and in fact quite like having to try to converse in French, to the extent that I am able to do so.

Snapped a few pictures of the full moon on way home and once I was upstairs I served myself a brimming bowl of the cassoulet I'd thrown together earlier in day. Tasted delicious, if I do pat myself on my culinary shoulder, and followed with are tasty green salad with tomatoes and last bit of Jaimie's cheese. Worked away at The Diaries until just after midnight. Brushed and flossed and then read until 1:00 am before snuggling down, listening to the wind rattling the shutters a I drifted off. 


 Will probably pop by L'Auberge du Presbytère, in Vailhan, about 15 minutes away, by car, later today, although I want to make a reservation for lunch as don't really want to have to drive after having had too, too much to drink, especially at night. Guess we could balance you on my handle bars! [How go things with your coccyx?] Will also try to scope out the waitress at Le Chat Noire in Roujan. [Tip from Dennisovitch but have to be careful not to anger Freja, my resident Swedish masseuse!] Have been buying most of my charcuteries at the market in Pézenas so have not needed to shop at the tiny store here in the village. Like the boulangerie here. Unfortunately, for me, since you are on a gluten-free diet I won't be buying as much bread and other pâtisseries as I might otherwise. How has this been in Italy?

Sarge landed in Paris around 9:30 am this morning. They are staying in the Marias, (actually Marais!), District. Michele arrives tomorrow. Great place to stay! As I understand it, "the 3rd arrondissement of Paris, situated on the right bank of the River Seine, is the smallest in area after the 2nd arrondissement. The arrondissement contains the northern, quieter part of the medieval district of Le Marais." If I remember correctly, they will be relatively near, I think, the great restaurant we ate at, one night towards the end of our stay, La Robe et le Palais. Lucky him. I told him to have the Millionaires treat him there tonight! He supplies restaurant, they foot the bill!

From what he mentioned about when leaving Rosemary and Andre in Chabeuil, their route will mirror our possible 3 hour one, almost exactly, once they are past Narbonne. Keeping off toll highways will take about 5 hours. I prefer latter as I'd like the tiny villages and countryside and I can see more when driving on the good roads which link them as opposed to the toll roads. However, this will depend on how you feel about sitting for that long. You decide as either is fine, (Fine!), with me.

 Everything going smoothly for both parties, we'll most likely be in Agen around the same time. If I have correct Hertz location, it is almost the same distance from Locaboat as is Europcar, but a bit to the southeast. I will drop you off along with our stuff and then return car to Europcar. It's only about 1.4 km away so an easy walk but I'll probably take my bike and ride back.

Another glorious day here and wind seems to have died down. Last night was first time I've used a light blanket. Wind howled and moaned most of the night, not that I minded, and it was cooler than it has been since I arrived. Perfect for sleeping, for me, but I'm sure you will want the duvet when you arrive!


With respect to your arrival in Béziers, I will park in the lot beside the station and meet you on the platform to help with your bag, etc. If train arrives on same platform as did both mine and one Jamie was on, one needs to negotiate a series of steps to get through the underpass which leads to the station proper. Once we are at street level, I'll walk back to bring car around so you won't have to go any further than need be. Of course, if you can manage, the distance to the car, depending on where in lot I can find a spot, will not be too, too far away anyway. Off shortly to attempt my 100 km+ ride. Enjoy your last day or so in Firenza. France is looking forward to you too! Much Warm Love, Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio, Dad!
 

Dear Patrick,


As a valued member of the Writers Fest, we hope you will join us for Literati–an unforgettable evening of festivity, food and music, in celebration of the Literary Cabaret’s 25th anniversary. We invite you to spend an fabulous evening meeting festival authors and enjoy an exclusive Literary Cabaret performance. Proceeds from Literati support the Festival's Spreading the Word education outreach program.

Hope to see you there! Anne Giardini, Honourary Chair
Patrick,

Another very interesting read.  Your place in France looks great and sounds like you really are immersed in French living.  We were so sorry to hear about Corinne's back - nothing can be more painful or debilitating than a really sore back and even worse when you are away.  We hope it is getting better.

Well tomorrow is the party for Stacee and Sean at the Aquarium.  Our friends from Terrace are coming which is wonderful and all Sean's family is coming too.  With Stacee and Sean's group of friends added in it should be great fun.  Oh yes Gerry's and my families are here too. 

Weather in Vancouver has continued to be amazing.  Everyday they say it is going to rain but each day has been glorious.

Keep us posted with your stories and super photos. Dawn


First day in Paris stroll around the Marias District. You could tell who the homebodies were. It is 17 degrees and we were in shorts the locals were in winter jackets.with Wayne Connors and 2 others at Le So What.
  • Patrick James Dunn Dear Sarge: It is "angel" not "angle"; it is "Marais" not "Marias"! You are not back on the beat putting drunks in the Black Maria, or paddy wagon, as Mr Fixit would say!
We wondered around today and got the lay of the land. Gregg's bringing two reds tonight. Can't wait. This is the 4th Arrondissmont. Wayne
Your name appeared in my translation magazine: This happened in a small South Bohemian town. "These wealthy senior citizens were often approached by ladies who would offer to reignite their amorous bonfires. Alas, the old trouts mostly preferred to keep their assignations with beer and paprika. The women thus scorned would jeer at them, calling them among other names Old Paprika (starej paprika in Czech). so coined by the soiled doves, the expression is used to this day for a prudent, judicious man past his first youth (that's you all right), reasonably frugal (yes, they got that right too), who shuns exciting past times no longer suited to his age (no, not our Paprika)."
Patrick James Dunn No time for either beer or paprika, too busy cycling!
Hi Sarge, Grogg and Mr Fixit!

How was dinner? Where did you dine? Off to the Saturday Marché in Pézenas tomorrow. By now I know quite few of the regualrs, both at the market and in town, so it is fun to make the rounds. Cora lee arrives in Béziers at 4:28 pm on Sunday so I have to start vacuuming now! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics:  Moon last night, Werewolves of Neffiès, Aaoooooo!; sky from balcony in living room tonight. 


Patrick,

Another very interesting read.  Your place in France looks great and sounds like you really are immersed in French living.  We were so sorry to hear about Corinne's back - nothing can be more painful or debilitating than a really sore back and even worse when you are away.  We hope it is getting better.

Well tomorrow is the party for Stacee and Sean at the Aquarium.  Our friends from Terrace are coming which is wonderful and all Sean's family is coming too.  With Stacee and Sean's group of friends added in it should be great fun.  Oh yes Gerry's and my families are here too. 

Weather in Vancouver has continued to be amazing.  Everyday they say it is going to rain but each day has been glorious.

Keep us posted with your stories and super photos. Dawn


I'm thinking that Pat scared him off:

Don't come unless you have read the book. A missive from Pat de Hooligan.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment