Tuesday 10 September 2013

Beau Soleil Blues: Wednesday, September 11th

We all travel the milky way together, trees and men; but it never occurred to me until this storm-day, while swinging in the wind, that trees are travelers in the ordinary sense. They make many journeys, not extensive ones, it is true; but our own little journeys, away and back again, are only little more than tree-wavings -- many of them not so much. -John Muir, naturalist, explorer, and writer (1838-1914) 


Up at 7:37 am this morning. After I was fortified with my java regulare and bowl of yogurt/muesli/chopped fresh peach, I drained the beans and put them on to boil while I diced three cloves of garlic and two small oniones. Once I'd sautéed these ingredientes I popped them into pot which was boiling away quite nicely by then. Next I washed, peeled and diced three carrots and chopped up a zucchini, then cut up two generous portions of the Espetec Catalan 130 sausage and after I'd turned down the heat I added everything to the pot, along with some Herbes de Provence, Basilic and Poivre Gris, to taste. Let it simmer for almost three hours. Took a spoonful around 1:00 pm, after I'd let pot cool and it was truly delicious, if I don't say so myself! Simple, easy recipe, using things a hand. Will be first in my new cookbook, Legumes of Languedoc, to be published by Ragin' Bull/See Red Press, just in time for the Christmas coffee table market!
 
Dear Calumnist et al!

Just for the record, I am not "an exiled cyclist" but rather an ascetic, a hermit monk who has left the getting and spending of The Sisterhood and the back-biting, character assassination and pernicious court intrigue of the NRBC, filled with illiterates and fops, yet nonetheless vicious and horribly malevolent, to pursue contemplative ideals while practicing extreme self-denial, sometimes stooping to self-mortification, for literary reasons only, denying, forgoing all material satisfaction.  That being said, I think I'll have a snort of malt!

Given time difference, I calculate that around 9:30 pm, Sunday 29th, Vancouver time, it will be 6:30 am, Monday, September 30th, Agen time. Not sure what connectivity I will have there as we will be on the canal barge at that point. In the event that Skypability is available to me then, please send along ether/vacuum address for radio operator(s) and I will gladly try to make contact. I will have been up for hours, chanting mindlessly while eating dried cicadas.


Time to ride to the top of Mont Neffiès where I will sit naked and cross-legged, while Freja massages my shoulders and nether parts with organic, sustainable Extra Virgin Olive Oil, produced by Jean René Blayac, ogre of Roujan.

I trust all goes well with the sharpening of knives and the spreading of foul rumours. Fond, hyprocritical regards to one and all. Cheers, Saddhu Patrizzio, Ascetico Adamantina,
Coscienza Universale!!!

Pic: Gothic Church Tower where I spent most of my time; Freja's studio where I take my full-body massages!


How to find me on 29th: My address is on Homer Street (intersection of Homer and Drake, downtown) Please buzz 192 - i should call you in and then run (joke) to the elevator - press 5 and tern right on the floor heading towards #506. There are possible visitors parking underground. please let me know. Visitors parking in the building on first come first served basis... hopefully we will have some available. but i would need to know and to arrange those with a concierge. entering the parking is from the drake street - in the back ale between Homer and Richards (there are clear arrors). There is intercom and you should press same #192.

See you all on September 29th (do we start at 7pm?) have a great ~~3weeks, Misha ps: for the skype with the old continent, if someone can bring a laptop it would be great (my desktop will be in another room when we meet)
thanks.

Hello Giggster!

How go your attempts to weigh anchor? Thought you might like to sail into the sunset with me in November. I'm planning to head down to Simi Valley to house/cat sit for Rae/Rick, same friends as over last Christmas. Coriandre has too, too many meetings over the course of the time we would need to be away. Rick wrote: "We leave Thursday, November 21st, at 4:50 p.m. and return on American Thanksgiving Day, Thursday November 28th at 3:55 p.m.
I hope you know how to cook a turkey!"

I would probably want to leave around the 18th +/-, to spend first night in Portland with Mike/Marilyn and then on to Napa to do a tad of winetasting there and in Sonoma and then into Berkeley to stay with Cactus and Donna Florida before making for Simi Valley. Weather should be fab for biking most everywhere. Loads of room in Simi so others are welcome should that be an option. Day trips into LA to have power lattes with Quen, Sy and Ange, (note first name basis!), visits to Getty if you must! Rides along beach from bottom of Topanga Canyon, (Box Canyon, out of Simi, may be enough!), through Venice Beach, (stopping for prescription dope!), and beyond await. Anyway, think on it. I'm pretty flexible, as you well know, and can tailor my schedule, (other than dates I need to be in Simi), to fit yours. Now to the important stuff!

Let me know your thoughts on Simi. Regardos to your Sisterhood Shipmates. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pic: Sky laster evening

Hi Kathy!

Trust you are well. Saw an update on Linkedin so thought I'd say hello. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Hi Marco!

Trust you are well. Saw an update on Linkedin so thought I'd say hello. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi again, Maggie!

I understand completely but hope you can visit at some point.
Travel safely. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Sky last evening; odometre evidence!


Stimato Mente Legale!

I am truly sorry that you and Naughty Nancy were not able to join me here,
à la campagne, as it is a truly wonderful situation. Cheers, Professore Patrizzio!
 

Hi Aquitaine!

Trust you are well. Saw an update on Linkedin so thought I'd say hello. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Goils!Trust you are both well. Saw an update on Linkedin, for JT, (JWo, can't connect as you have an old email address for me), so thought I'd say hello. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Beatricce and Patrizzia!

Great to hear from you , Beatricce, and that the wedding went so well. Congratulations and Bravo! Lovely snaps! Thanks. Terrific to see some of your family.


I am truly sorry that you both were not able to join me here,
à la campagne, as it is a truly wonderful situation.  However, pleased that Beatricce has met a "Gentleman Friend", (Mom outlived my Dad and referred to the two other "boyfriends", she had and, also outlived, this way!),  and that everyone will visit Vancouver soon! 

 


Perhaps we can connect sooner, this coming November. I know it might be a busy time for everyone, pre-Thanksgiving and all, but let me know and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Duhlink,and Goils!

How is Cinque Terre? How is your "trouble" for which I'm sorry! Getting ready for Sir James!
He phoned Niall, property manager, (I'd given Jamie his phone number in case of emergency!), last night and Niall very kindly sent me an email confirming his arrival today.

Even though you can't make trip, I'm planning to head down to Simi Valley. Have asked Whirlygig if he is interested. I would probably leave around the 18th +/-, to spend first night in Portland with Mike/Marilyn, and then on to Napa to do a tad of winetasting there and in Sonoma, (Have asked Patrizzia if she'll be around.), and then into Berkeley to stay with Cactus and Donna Florida, before making for Simi Valley. Asked Beatricce if we might possibly connect. I know it is a busy time for everyone, pre-Thanksgiving and all. 

Off to Pèsenas shortly to do a bit of grocery shopping and looking around. Was planning to visit Carrefours in Bèziers before collecting Jamie but thinks this makes more sense, in terms of refrigeration, etc. Loved Saturday market in Pézanas and am looking for to showing it off to Jamie this coming weekend. Unfortunately, we leave for Agen on Saturday, 28th, so not sure if we'll have time to take it in while Power Shopper is here. Fondestos, Love and Cheers, Dad/ Monk Patrizzio!

Hi Niall!

Thanks very much for passing along confirmation from Jamie! I'd given him your phone number in case of emergency! Anyway much appreciated. Funnily enough, had more "visitors" yesterday morning than I've had since I took possession of place. First, you and Mike, and then an hour or so later a very pleasant chap was here to read water meter. Some problem with interpreting dials so someone else dropped by earlier this morning. (I'll leave sheet he left in envelope with Cleaning Fees unless you need it beforehand. You can pop around anytime. It'll be tacked to the notice board on the kitchen counter.) Can't escape the Utility Polizei no matter where one tries to hide! 



Glad to meet you as well. If you are around when I'm around you are welcome to have a chat over coffee or something stronger. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hello again Darling, or should I say Jamie, misplacing everything!!! Pic: Paolo and his wailing horn!

Hello again, Brenda Louise!

Weather couldn't be better! Don't know much about the technology of the actual GPS but I simply plug it in to my laptop and connect to Garmin site. A few clicks and I have access to more information than I know what to do with! Still, I love the route tracking capability!
Can even use it when walking around port of Rochelle searching for Acadian roots! Next year!!!

Cheers, Patrick!

Hello again, Pytor The Pounder! Print one for Bandy Legs Frymire! Cheers, The Soon To Be Completely Drunk Patrizzio!

 Hi Mint Julep Girl!

Thanks! On another matter, Aunt Leah's has an old email address for me, Interchange account, so perhaps you could delete it as I receive two of every emailing. Love and Cheers, Dad!


Hello again, Peps!

Will do! Weather couldn't be better here but life is still hard!  Cheers, Il Conduttore!


Hi again Patrick

Jamie just rang again, his train is two hours late. So about 10.30. Kindest, Niall


Hi again, Niall!

Thanks very much for acting as a "go-between"! Hope it hasn't been an imposition. Thanks again for update. Will give me more time to wander around Bèziers. Just hope his train arrives tonight! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Went for a short ride yesterday afternoon, (wind even more ferocious, and I mean, ferocious, than on marathon ride),


http://connect.garmin.com/activity/374148699#.UjCqpfsCJ7U.email

more to stretch my legs after the 100 km of the day before as well as to scope which exit to take out of Roujan. When I was back took a look at my email and had the following message from Niall:

Hi again Patrick. Jamie just rang again, his train is two hours late. So about 10.30.

Shades of Ayn arriving in Truro but at least I'd didn't have to worry about rushing to Béziers and thought I'd be able to do a bit of grocery shopping beforehand. Wrote back:

My friends and family will laugh themselves silly when I tell them about this as Jamie has a deserved reputation for always being late, not matter where or for what. I know this delay probably has nothing to do with him, in particular, but somehow he always manages to complicate every aspect of his life and interactions with others. Still, he is a close friend and I care for him in spite of his often highly annoying foibles.


Quick shower and change to leave for Béziers around 7:45 pm, via Margon as I'd not ridden this way before and wanted to do some scopage. Enjoyed the drive as it was all new territory to me until close to Béziers. Once there which I was vaguely familiar with layout of town so took a run by SNCF to see if there was any free, on street parking there. Not really anything so I went back up the reasonably steep street which runs right to the station as I'd noticed a few stores still open. I needed milk and lettuce so decided I'd park somewhere and do my shopping while I was waiting for train to arrive. Found a spot on a side street near to far from the top of aforementioned thoroughfare. If train was still two hours late I had about an hour or so before Jamie would be at station.

After shopping I walked back to car and then drove to station and by this time I could park right across from the entrance. Went in and according to Arrivals board only had about 10 minutes to see how Kinsey was doing in her search for Guy Malek. 

Went back to stand beside car as I hadn't bothered to buy a ticket at this time of night although signs indicated that I needed to do so. Hadn't even finished a chapter when I noticed people exiting station so hied myself inside and found Sir James. He'd just made the walk under the tracks, as I had done when I arrived, and we embraced as I welcomed him to Languedoc.

Bit of  inadvertent sightseeing as I missed turn I wanted on way out of  le centre de la ville but found my bearings, (after we were given directions from a helpful chap standing near a parked car on one of the roundabouts we'd been past a few times already), and we were soon headed in the direction of Bédarieux. Since I now knew I was looking for the exit towards  Bassan and Lieuran-lès-Béziers I took it, shortly after we left the outskirts of Béziers and we were home free, so to speak. Not much traffic once we were off D 909 and we chatted, catching up, all the way back through Espondeilhan, Pouzolles, Margon and Roujan. Once there, we were almost home and we drove up the last avenue of plane trees

for the night, through the deserted streets of Neffiès to arrive outside Beau Soleil around 10:30 pm.

Carried Jamie's bag inside and upstairs, (His back was a bit sore after sitting for so long on the train, as well, Dearest Cora Lee!), and gave him a quick tour. He tested out single beds first and then opted for double downstairs as it is larger and more comfortable for his frame. That works well as he will have his own bathroom close at hand. If he is up during the night I don't really want him falling down, (to certain serious injury or worse!), the quite steep set of stairs, the top of the flight being right outside the bathroom door, as he stumbled around in the dark, in an unfamiliar place in the middle of the night.

While he was unpacking and settling in to his bedroom, I put out some bread sticks, some Camembert and a wedge of the basil green cheese I'd bought at the Pésanas market. Before I started to throw a salad together I opened a bottle of the Terres en Coleurs 2012 Rousanne and was more than delighted with it. When I'd first tasted it I didn't really appreciated it. Whether it was the temperature of the wine or my palate or both, I'm not sure, but this time I was taken with the full rounded mouth feel of the subtle fruit and the  finesse of the very pleasurable minerality on the finish.

When Jamie joined me we set about visiting in earnest and spent a most congenial night. I zapped him a bowl of my variation of a cassoulet and it went well with the 2011 Club des Sommeliers, (I gather something like a "Sainsbury's" brand bottling), Cotes du Rhone, 14.5%, one which I'd picked up at a convenience store in Roujan the second day I was here. Finished up with some maltage, Jamie stretched out on the sofa, I in my comfy cane armchair and didn't say goodnight until 2:00 am! Went to brush and floss while Jamie made himself a cup of tea. Apparently I was asleep before he turned off the lights in the kitchen and went downstairs to bed himself. 

In startling contrast to today, in 1960 more than half of women were married before the age of twenty. But vast changes to marriage and the family were just over the horizon, and one of the key harbingers of this change was Enovid, which in 1961 became the first pill approved by the FDA for contraception. In 1961, Carly Simon -- later to achieve worldwide fame with such songs as "Anticipation," "You're So Vain," and "Coming Around Again" -- was a freshman at Sarah Lawrence, one of America's elite women's colleges. By 1964 she was an apostle of this change -- she had dropped out of college, was defying convention by living with her boyfriend, and was taking Enovid:

"[In the early 1960s], ... the elite women's colleges were cliques of smart, talented, opinionated girls who were on their way to becoming the wives of [the young men who would shape their generation]. Such was the cultural dictum, for even the smartest daughters of wealthy, educated families. The very recent year 1960 would prove to have marked the all-time youngest age of first marriage for American women for the entire prior one hundred years -- more than half of women married by age twenty -- affirming the gut sense that decades' most 'typical' characteristics emerge at their sunsets. 'Girls' identities were very much about the man you were with,' recalls Carly's best friend, Ellen Wise Questel, now a psychotherapist, who went off to Sarah Lawrence, along with Carly. Despite privilege and culture and high expectations, Ellen says, 'We were still not whole.'

"Carly -- only slightly facetiously -- remembers imagining her future thus: 'I was going to live in the kitchen and serve little pouffy mousses with demitasses to my husband, the poetry professor at a small New England college, and his terribly intellectual friends, around an old farm table where no napkins matched.' In Carly's Andrea-modeled version, it was the man who would do the interesting thing; the woman -- wittily, flirtatiously, creatively -- who would be his muse, the power behind his throne, and a thinking-woman's version of a socialite. Still, the Riverdale [Carly's New York private high school] girls were expected to finish college before getting married, and not to have children immediately. But be major creators in their own right? That wasn't necessarily part of the agenda.

" 'However,' adds Ellen, 'If there was one women's college that got the few women who did not think in that conventional way -- who believed in their own talent and expected to be artists in their own right -- then that was our college, Sarah Lawrence.' 'It was a magic time to be at Sarah Lawrence,' says award-winning filmmaker Helen Whitney, who was a student there during those years. ...

 

"[By 1964, living in the south of France with her boyfriend, Carly suffered from anxiety attacks.] Once in bed, ... Carly's anxiety attacks would descend like clockwork -- night shakes so intense that she was certain she was having a nervous breakdown. Today Carly believes the shaking attacks were a combination of a later-proved allergy to the wine and the enormous dose of estrogen in her daily Enovid.

"Every woman who took Enovid back then was, by today's standards of drug approval, a guinea pig. Enovid had been approved by the FDA during the last naive and lax moment in the agency's history -- two years before the dangers of thalidomide (an anti-nausea agent for pregnant women that turned out to cause severe physical malformations in babies) forced a tightening of clinical trial standards. Not only had Enovid essentially slipped through that approval crack (in fairness, been pushed through because women wanted a birth control pill, desperately), but no one knew exactly what the side effects might be if, for the first time in history, so many people -- 7. 5 million by 1969 -- ingested a medication daily, for so long, for something other than to treat a disease.  


"When it came to drugs for women, the medical establishment, including obstetrics and gynecology, was overwhelmingly male, and women were not included in clinical trials for medications appropriate for both sexes, so there was no reliable data on how such drugs would affect female bodies. This solipsism led to naiveté at best -- for years, drug companies didn't believe women would even want to take a pill to not have babies -- and, at worst, it led to danger. Highdose Enovid was thought to cause thromboembolism and obstructions of blood vessels leading to crucial organs, a risk substantially reduced by lower-dosage versions of the Pill in the early 1970s. But a possible link to the early Pill and breast cancer has never been disproved, and this would later prove significant for Carly."

Sheila Weller, Girls Like Us, Atria Books, 2008 




Hi Pat,
Lying on my belly, here in bed and pecking away at the keyboard attachment of the iPad. The coffee is brewing in our room at the Rodeway Inn, in Bend Oregon. Ellie has substituted the motel issue with superior Salt Spring Island get up and go jo.

Having read your long account of torrential rain, a wander through a market and pedalling in the countryside, one can conclude that you are living a good life over in Euroland.
Here in Bend we discovered that the city is more then one big strip on steroids. Yesterday evening after coming Northwest from the desert, along Highway 31, we joined 97, making stops along the way. That included Fort Rock, a basalt bastion out in what was once an ancient lake. 



Next, the obsidian flow in Newberry National Volcanic Monument left me agape. It was better then i expected – a real showpiece amongst Oregon's varied geological circus acts. Finally, we went to the High Desert Museum just south of Bend. It was a revisit which included the marginal cafeteria. Snobby Bobby's diplomatic but firm protest, about the stale bread in the sandwich, and the dishonesty about real turkey meat (when it was processed) being used brought an instant refund at this late lunch.
In the city we discovered, via the internet, Spork. What a change from diner fare! I had Lomo Saltado, a fusion take off on one of Peru's national dishes and Ellie had a novel chicken and rice, vaguely Thai and flavoured with Tamarind, sweet chilli sauces and peanuts. Also lovely. It was happy hour here so i had a potent Mai Tai (feeling goofy) and Ellie a Margarita. We went for a long walk in the lovely city park along the Deschutes River, and 30+ temps gave way to cool evening air.




Ellie is gong  to have get on so i will send you a video first and do a cut and paste later, as i know you won't be offended. The video that follows is from the Steen Mountains. This fault block includes a superb mountain driving experience on mostly fine gravel road. The aging Matrix had no trouble taking us up to the East Rim at 9,700 feet. Why, i was labouring more then the engine.

Bye for now, bob ps: no time to fully proof this, Ellie wants on!

Hi D,



I will update but won't be for a few weeks or a month. We are just changing over our data bases and I am not able to access for change old system and new system is not up and running yet. xxx

on our way home from the Pacific Northwest. Enjoyed the hospitality and art of Alain Clerc in Gig Harbor. http://www.alainclerc.com/

Hi

I must admit that I am absolutely amazed at the information at the Garmin site. Must give you a lot of extra satisfaction to see it laid out for you like that.  Perfect temp for exercise  but because of the amount of calories you burn I hope you are eating more than sausage and beans.  



My sister turned  60 a few days ago and is making her long term goals happen this year.  She has 5 small parts in the Hong Kong Ballet production coming up in November..a huge event in Hong Kong.  Her husband and she are also to go on a tour of the Australian outback with a private driver dedicated to helping her find budgies during their migration, a long held dream of hers. The walkabout will include seeing Ayers Rock etc. .  Food, tent all provided by their private entourage. 

This all happening while Wally and I continue the Kamloops experience!  Actually I don't think I could handle the long flights so I am content to experience it all vicariously.  I adopted a couple of elephants in Kenya from the Sheldrick Foundation.and although my little one died last week from infection his closest elephant friend is still doing well.



Congrats on meeting those goals

'Yesterday's ride' was more the kind of riding that I was doing.   And we always made sure that we would stop in the little villages along the way to have our lunch or to sip a glass of wine or to fall in love again with the waitress in le Chat Noire. To get our feet on the ground as it were. Watch those knees.  After 2 weeks I found that one of my knees started to get sore from the climbs.

The restaurant very close to you, Les Goutailles, is very good.  Don't forget you will need a reservation on most nights. You should book a week ahead or at least 3 or 4 days ahead.

The little store is  amazing.  You can pretty much get everything there.  Excellent Charcuteries. Yes it's closed when you don't expect it to be closed but that is part of the rhythm of life in the French countryside.  You need to live by the French rhythm of the French culture.



P,



Thanks for asking: the anchor rode is short and and thickly braided. With my hands tied behind my back I will need to learn some contortionist moves to chew them off. 



Nice showing on the Garmincer. Does the masseuse (Garmina) enter the numbers based upon,,,?

The annual Republic Ride was spectacular -- in an area you would enjoy exploring -- endless roads. We did 50 kms Friday as a warm up, 80 kms Saturday -- nearly rained out, 130 kms Sunday. Not Province but unbelievably beautiful and no traffic. 



I recognize my street cred in Neffies is, how do you say, 'sans poids' at the moment. With that in mind the California trip sounds very appealing as the November monsoons approach. I have already broached it with the first mate and she recognizes a mutiny on the rise should she dare to emit so much as a heaving sigh down wind. Safe riding, W



Hi Patrick, 

Just remember if you fall down the stairs again help is at your beckoning.



Seriously though, I'm glad to hear that Cora Lee survived her fall fairly well. When I first read your news I thought of the possibility of concussion in addition to all the other possible injuries. Is she symptom free of everything now?



Thanks for the photos, your place looks just how I'd imagined, same with the surrounding countryside. What has surprised you the most about it?



Everything here is fine, sunny and warm. Just trying to recover from almost two hours of squash with the Kaz last night -his pacemaker is working very well! Cheers, Bill.
The contemporary art at the Portland Art Museum is as colorful, delightful and unpredictable as one can wish; amazing variety of sculpture as well. http://portlandartmuseum.org/ FUN collection in very warm city...
Hi all, not doing well. Only managing because Robyn is carrying my suitcase up and down stairs. I'm in a lot of pain can hardly walk up and down. Big thunder storm in cinque terra today using the train as part of the walk is closed due to land slides and the rest is too difficult for me. All for now, we have no Internet in apt. Lv Mom/ CoraLee

Mom is this pain from your fall?? Love you
So sorry to hear you are in so much pain Mom.



Try to take soaks in the tub and stretch often. Have you seen a doctor?  You need ibuprofen too. Love Ayn


Pat,

    
We experienced thunderstorms in both Penticton and Vancouver at about the same time as you. Weather is great again - 26 degrees today. It sounds as though your rides do not encounter heavy traffic which is always a bonus. The colours from the market in the photos were very attractive and the wine reasonably priced, it seems.

    
The Gran Fondo to Whistler happened this past weekend, again with another serious injury. One of The Sun writers, Gary Kingston, completed the course in a minute under 6 hours, even more impressive when you learn that he had a quadruple by-pass a couple of years ago.

    
I haven't done any riding other than the Penticton venture, so haven't contacted anyone. Doing a bit in the gym most days. Just getting into the teaching aspect and starting to get busy. Finished 'A Married Man' by Piers Paul Read last night. 1979 novel which takes place in England. Not sure how I came across it but it's very worthwhile. Hope all is good in Languedoc. Ray

Gents,


I hope both of you had a great summer and managed to get in lots of bike riding.  I on the other hand did not get out on my bike at all.  I think I'm turning sour based on how many people are out there riding these days.  People who are doing it because it is hip/cool.  Oh well...


In any event, I am sorry to say that I am withdrawing from the book club.  I have not dedicated enough time to the club and it is wrong of me to only be a 'half assed' member.  I would like to thank the both of you for making me feel welcome; and Patrick a big thank you to you for standing in line and signing me up for the singles night at the library .  While I did not meet the future Ms. Iverson at the event, it was fun all the same.


Thank you.  I enjoyed meeting everyone and learning some new things about literature. Cheers, Dave 
Dave, good to make your acquaintance as well. Sorry to see you go but I do understand. All best wishes, G 
Patrick,

What an interesting email and the photos made us want to go to stay with you immediately.  Gerry especially liked the olives.  Thank you for sharing your adventures with us.

Well, the wedding is over and we have a married daughter.  Actually everything went so smoothly in great part because Stacee and I were relaxed and not uptight about anything.  The minister was actually an airforce chaplain and he did a nice job of the ceremony.  Stacee and Sean said their own vows which was very nicely done.  The two families had not met except for the moms and everyone got along well and in fact we all had a good time together.  The suite where they got married looked out over the Vegas strip and the fountains at Bellagio so that was a beautiful backdrop and there was a large wrap around balcony so we could go outside and enjoy the sights.  Following the wedding we had booked a room at one of the hotel's restaurants and that went really well with good food (everyone wanted to order their sides of Mac & Cheese and it was delicious) and perfect service.  They have a time limit of 2 hours to use the room and anything over is $500 an hour but because we had the last sitting they said it wasn't a problem and we stayed for 4 hours at no extra charge which was nice.  The most important thing though is that Stacee and Sean exuded happiness at getting married after being together for 8 years -  it was a nice feeling for all of us.  We now are getting set for the party in Vancouver.  Many of our Terrace friends are coming down which is special for us plus all our families are able to attend and then of course Sean and Stacee's friends are going to be there. 

Gerry is in Kimberley with 3 other fellows this week on a golfing trip.  The weather is amazing - 28 degrees and not a cloud to be seen so all is well with him except he is never happy with his golf score.  We both fly to Vancouver this Sunday and then on the 21st we have the party. 

I was going to try to send you a photo or two of the wedding but I can't seem to get it to attach so I will have to try again when Gerry can help me to figure it out ( I lack the patience).  Ooops I decided I know how to send single photos so I just sent you 3 photos in three separate emails - you can feel very popular getting so many emails.

By the way when do you come home?  We are in Vancouver for a day or two and then off to Italy on the 26th of October for a couple of weeks and then London for 5 days.  Any suggestions of a place to stay in London that won't break the bank but is conveniently located and has a bathroom with shower?????

Keep us posted on your adventures. Cheers, Dawn
 
Dear Corinne and Patrick,



I am sure from your many stories and pictures you both had another marvelous time overseas and settling back nicely to your familiar surroundings as you catch up with many of your friends.



John and I had a wonderful month out at sea with the hounds, Benson and Tess. We celebrated our 47th anniversary at Poet's Cove on Pender Isl. (see picture).  We cruised the magnificent Gulf Isl. waters in the Strait of Georgia the same waters that the Spanish explorer Christopher Columbus discovered in 1492.  Many of the surrounding islands are named after the Spanish explores that entered these waters so long ago.  One such picture shows us coming through the open waters of Samsun Narrows that runs between Vanc. Isl. on the right and Salt Spring Isl. on the left. The view is breathtaking. Of course the hounds thoroughly enjoyed themselves as their ears flapped in the wind enjoying their sea journey and we stopped at many marinas so they could enjoy the many beautiful forest walks,  one such was through the Enchanted Forest.



We just had friends from Wpg. visit Dianne and Jim Wood, John was best man at Jim’s wedding.  Jim did not attend our wedding because it was at the time both he and John were planning a long extended trip to Europe but John met me in the process of planning an adventure and stayed home to marry me.  How adorably romantic don’t you think!!



I have just finished my wonderful daily walks through Mt. Doug with the hounds. Here we climb rocks or just walk along the many paths to meditate and contemplate life.  Back at home our roof is in the middle of being re-shingled which needs to be done every twenty five years, so the noise is pretty intense. Then at the end of the month all our appliances are being replaced since after twenty years they are now inoperative and getting up in the middle of the night to turn the dishwasher off has become exhausting not to mention that it takes sometimes an hour to get the oven turned on. It has a mind all of its own.



Our friends Barry and Kathleen Hogrefe from Seattle also come at the end of the month so there might not be appliances but eating out will suit me just fine.  Their daughter and son both live in Alaska and Kathleen just told me that her daughter after five years of marriage has left her husband so we will hear the stories when they come.



I am off to Wpg. first week in Oct. to visit family.  My Mom’s 97th birthday my niece is having her second child this week a boy and her sister is pregnant with her first a boy so it will be a wonderful visit.  Will be cooking a Thanksgiving turkey with my brother for the family and my niece has already ordered the cakes from La Grotta. Lemon Mousse, triple berry cheesecake and a flourless chocolate cake. Yummy!  Down side I am off flour and sugar being both Hypothyroid and Hypoglycemic, sugar plays havoc on my system somehow I still am indulging in chocolate but now have control.



John is fine and back at work where he seems to be the happiest.  He has one year left but somehow I feel he is of the type that will never retire and I encourage him not to as I do not think he would survive adjusting to the real world.



You both might be interested in listening to talks by the French Molecular Biologist Matthieu Ricard who had a promising career in cellular genetics before leaving France to study Buddhism in the Himalayas thirty five years ago. He currently is involved with scientific research on the effects of Neuroplasticity and how meditation can change the brain.  He has written a book on Happiness and now considered the Happiest Man in the World.  John has read the book and I have read it many times as it is truly enlightening. To acquire Happiness is a skill. 



I discovered Matthieu when I linked  onto

1.   Ted Talks www.ted.com  Matthieu Ricard the Happiest man in the world.”  Matthieu talks to the world

2.  link www.youtube.com  by Google  “Change Your Mind Change Your Brain”  Matthieu talks to a group of Google employees.

3.       link www.youtube by Alvand “ Matthieu Ricard “ What Makes Life Worth Living”  there are seventeen videos, please remember when you link in to focus on “Alvand” as there are many links. The series is amazing.



Also on TedTalks.Com there are many, doctors, neurologists, psychiatrists that talk about the mind.

One was  www.youtube.com  “Transform Your Mind, Change your Brain”. By Dr. Richard Davidson

At one of his many lectures to students he introduces his research on how “Neuroplasticity and Meditation” can change the brain and make us more productive.  He introduces  Matthieu Ricard and shows how after hours of MRI scans that Meditation makes you a happier and compassionate human being that produces a clearer thinking mind.



Matthieu Ricard states that Meditation through the simple act of listening to our breath we are able to take control of our thoughts training our minds in habits of well-being that generates a true sense of serenity and fulfillment.  Meditation because it has been proven to transform the mind is being introduced into the school systems to help children with learning difficulties and helping seniors to keep their minds focused and improve concentration.  From a health perspective Meditation lowers blood pressure..



The Latin root of Meditation is “To Breathe”

The Latin root of Spiritual is “To Breathe”



Going back six months or maybe a life time, I was tired of the constant noise in my head and frustrated that I did not have control over my thoughts so began the process of learning to Meditate and with practice I have achieved this skill. It is absolutely amazing to be able to transform the mind I enjoy the peace and tranquility that it has brought me.



Hope to see you soon, we are not doing our annual New Year’s Day Open House. 



Much love to you both Love Jean & John 

Hi jean thanks for your news. We are still in Europe. Have been gone for 2 months now. I'm in Italy with friend Robyn and Patrick is in France biking. Robyn and I will meet up with Agneta and some other women on Sunday to share a villa for a week near Siena.

We've had a great time in Rome Venice bologna and now cinque Terre.

In an Internet cafe before taking a train to a nearby village the coast here is ver dramatic.

We return on oct. 19. Doing a two week canal trip in France from sept 28-oct12 with Wayne and Michele. See you in late fall. Love Corinne

 

No comments:

Post a Comment