Wednesday 25 September 2013

Beau Soleil Blues: Thursday, September 26th, Dinner at Les Goutailles!

Half of the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm but the harm does not interest them. -T.S. Eliot, poet (1888-1965) 


Lapsus linguae:


MEANING:

noun: A slip of the tongue.


ETYMOLOGY:

From Latin lapsus linguae. Earliest documented use: 1668.


NOTES:
Malapropisms and spoonerisms are two examples of lapsus linguae. 

Patrick James Dunn The ROAD from St-Laurent to La Grande-Chartreuse, cleverly engineered by the monks, was made (c. 1510) in order to bring down timber and charcoal from the forests.
Ann Smulka "I want the power to turn whatever I touch into cupcakes!" (Can you tell I have a 10-year-old daughter?)
Hi June! Great that we can get together. Only thing I have been "instructed" to add is that Cora Lee wants, and desperately so, to spend a goodly part of Saturday shopping in The City, or perhaps other shopping areas you might suggest! "Who knows when I'll next be back in London, Patrick!!" This being the case, would it be possible to have an early brunch/lunch, somewhere relatively convenient to let her train into town/elsewhere afterwards? Approved for release by The Sisterhood! Thanks again. Let me know what you think and we'll plan accordingly! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pic: Last Monday on the patio of Beau Soleil, appetizers, Prosciutto with melon and Viognier, €3/£2.53/btl at local Super U! 

Michele Darrow-Sutherland

Very somber beautiful tribute to battle at Vimy ridge, I was able to find my grandfather's battalion , the Cape Breton Highlanders who took the hill during the battle.

Hello Wine Plumber!


Very relieved to learn that your sink is working well! For my part I couldn't be happier, here at Beau Soleil, with everything from the accommodation to the weather to the wine to the food to the incredible cycling. Honestly, just my sort of holiday. Coupled with wonderful house exchange in Cornwall and more than lovely time in Yorkshire and elsewhere in Britain, I couldn't imagine things being any better. At any rate, loads to talk about when next our paths cross, I trust, sooner than later.
 
Some of my tasks over last few days included making restaurant reservations. One at Les Goutailles, just a block away. I have been by the place a number of times and made a reservation for tonight, last week. Looks like a lovely place and was almost completely filled with what I took to be British couples. Strange to hear so much English spoken at one time, in one place. Haven't had any real difficulty with language since arriving and in fact quite like having to try to converse in French, to the extent that I am able to do so.



Same for L'Auberge du Presbytère, in Vailhan, about 15 minutes away, by car, although I want to make a reservation for lunch as don't really want to have to drive after having had too, too much to drink, especially at night. Guess I could balance Cora Lee on my handle bars! [Very relieved to learn that her coccyx is becoming less painful but still pretty sore. She did a spectacular back-flip down the stairs at our friend's house in London, two days before flying to Rome, September 2nd, day I left for France by train. Early take-off, I assumed. [Am I that difficult to be with?], to be At One with The SIsterhood Book CLub 20th Anniversary Celebrazzione! Also tried to scope out the waitress at Le Chat Noire in Roujan. [Tip from friend, Dennisovitch, but had to be careful not to anger Freja, my resident Swedish masseuse!] Have been buying most of my charcuteries at the market in Pézenas so have not needed to shop at the tiny store here in the village. Like the boulangerie here. Unfortunately, Cora Lee is, as you may know, on a gluten-free diet so I won't be buying as much bread and other pâtisseries as I might otherwise.


What has surprised me most, (not necessarily the countryside and its topography, vegetation, etc., as I've been close before, (2003 with Annie, 2010 with Sarge and Flamin', and lived in Cyprus for 9 years as a child, as you obviously know!), is the unbelievable quality of the wine which suits my palate and taste, both red and white, and the simply ridiculous prices charged for the wonderful, wonderful quaffage! Even the Summer Specials at Sainsbury's in the UK are put to shame!



At any rate, The Islay Inners were successfully reunited this past Sunday, September 22nd. Cora Lee left Firenze at 9:30 pm this past Saturday night. Only great good fortune allowed her to discover she was at the wrong station and only had 45 minutes to get from Santa Maria Novella, the main railway station, to Florence Campo di Marte, to arrive at Gare du Lyon to make TGV connection to Béziers. God only knows what would have happened if she had missed the train out of Florence as she would not have arrived in Béziers as expected. Once I'd discovered she was not on the train I'd have had to return to Neffiès to monitor email as this is the only way we can communicate. There is no phone at Beau Soleil and neither of us has a cell phone along. Given the fact that the overnight trains only leave once a day, Tuesday afternoon would have been earliest she could have expected to arrive! On the bright side, two extra days of unexpected unfetterage!

Have been trying to log as many miles as poss before The Sisterhood hit town. After I'd been to the Pézenas Saturday Marché in the morning/early afternoon, I went for a ride. Since outing of day before was a very good one for me,I decided I'd do a bit of exploring and try to figure out how some of the surrounding villages that I'd not yet visited, fit together, in terms of my plan for 100 km+ rides. Had a pretty good idea about some of the spatial relationships after yesterday's ride but I had never been able to figure out route from Vailhan to Gabian so that was my first objective.


Left Beau Soleil at shortly before 5:00 pm and was pleased that head wind was more of a breeze, at least initially, than the gale force battering ram it had been over last three rides. I set off to scale Mont Neffiès, cutting over after about 2.5 km worth of climb to take the cross-hill route to drop into Vailhan. Once here I was at a loss to discover where the road/lane leading to Gabian, (as shown on Google Maps), connected with route I was quite familiar with. I assumed it had to be close to the campsite, at the bottom of the hill out of Vailhan towards Roujan, I'd noticed on previous rides. Nevertheless, I had never seen a sign for Gabian so I was sorely perplexed!


More by luck than good management I found what I was looking for as two cars were coming towards me, off to my left so I assumed/hoped they had traversed route I was seeking. Only sign in sight indicated overflow parking for campsite, otherwise unsigned in terms of geographical directions, so that is probably why I'd not noticed or paid any attention to road before. At any rate, I found myself on a very decent, albeit fairly narrow track, and after the first reasonable climb I was, more or less, on a fairly level plane and could simply enjoy the relative remoteness and tranquility of my surroundings. More vineyards, of course, but not as many planted as in the surrounding valleys.


Simply wonderful to explore the surrounding area in this way and I was pleased that I'd decided to reconnoiter. At about the 10 km mark the lane I was on intersected with the road to Gabian and as I'd descended this section twice already I knew exactly where I was headed. Had forgotten what a terrific rush it was to sail along this stretch at 40 km+ without having to do a lick of work. Into Gabian, looking for a sign directing me to Laurens, my next objective. Could only find pointers to villages I'd ridden to before so decided I'd head for Faugères, a destination I'd been avoiding as I knew it was hill country! In fact, this year's Tour, Stage 7, went from Montpellier through Pézenas/Roujan and Faugères, en route to Albi, so I was in good company! In fact when I started the long, slow, gradual climb out of Gabian it turned out to be not nearly as difficult as I had assumed it would be. Road is wide with a very good surface. Wind was moderate so not really a factor and I quit eenjoyed the steady but not punishing grind. Bit of blow as I neared the top of the ascent but not much compared to what I'd endured on last rides so I spit in the face of the gusts and carried on.

About mid-way between Gabian and Faugères there was a trun-off to Laurens but by this time I wanted to see if i could reach the latter so I kept going. Finally reached the last curve to the top of the last hill, close to the turn-off to Roquessels, on my right, and I dropped down and then up again, into Faugères itself. Pleasant hill village from what I could take in so decided I'd ride through it, all uphill, and see what I could see. Having become somewhat familiar with the traffic layout of French villages I assumed there might be a roundabout somewhere which might direct me to a place I knew or was vaguely familiar with. Turned out to be the case and I was rewarded for my optimism by finding myself on a wide shouldered, well paved thoroughfare, headed to Laurens!

The descent was a giddy glide, topping 50 km/h at times, with but little, if any effort, on my part, gravity slingshoting me along, all the way to  Magalas. En route I passed Laurens so perhaps I'll explore the approach mentioned earlier, at some point. Once in Magalas I knew, more or less where I was and where I wanted to go, although I'd never approached the town from this direction before. Headed for Fouzilhon but when I reached the intersection I'd taken a number of times before, I decided to make directly for Roujan to continue scoping routes not yet travelled. Glad that I did as grade into Pouzolles is slightly downhill so once again, I was zipping along, the wind helping muchly as well,


From Pouzolles into Roujan it was a bit of a slog, even avenues of plane trees didn't seem to help much as wind breaks against the strongest gusts I'd yet encountered on this outing. Still, I was more than glad to map out this alternative approach to my "hub" town and so I plugged along, my legs noticeably tired by now, I surmise as a result of yesterday's exertion. Once in Roujan and making for Neffiès the last stretch seemed interminable. Where once the unbroken avenue of plane trees had lifted my heart, today I just wanted them to disappear behind me. Literally didn't have the energy to worry myself about my AVG so I knew I was well and truly tired. Still, managed a tiny dipsy-doodle to up the total to just over 53 km so not all was lost, Dear Reader!

Long way of saying that such a ride would have been, I know, much, much easier with a lighter bike. Common sense, of course. Furthermore, over the last little while, I've even been toying with buying a carbon fibre for next visit. (Probably in France as I've seen some pretty good deals, €999/$1,400CDN in Pézenas. Haven't really researched things but will certainly do so before next trip. I'll rent my Navigator to you and make money!) Life is short and how many pairs of shoes can you, Imelda/Cora Lee, buy anyway? Would be far easier/lighter to carry and even if it doesn't collapse like Navigator, one could take off both wheels to shrink it to pretty much same size. Food, or drink, for thought.


Stats for today's ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/379045605#.Uj3gQ_L_4Fs.email



One of the stunning wines I've discovered since being here:  2010 Domaine des Prés Lasses, (20% Carignan, 30% Grenache, 10% Mourvedre, 30% Syrah, 10% Cinsault), Faugères, (rode, as you will know if you read message in its entirety, through village earlier today, about 20 km from where I'm staying in Neffiès), 15%, €11/$15.32, wonderfully, wonderfully spicy, with ripe red fruit flavours and subtle wild herbs, finishing with silky-fine tannins, that I picked up at my favourite wine store, Cave Alain Reinaldos , wine store, recommended by Alain himself, while at the Pézenas Saturday Marché. I spit on The Napa Valley now!


Fondestos from Cora Lee to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Up at 7:48 am to do dishes from night before!  No ride but some progress on The Diaries!

Montagnac tasting at Paul Mas, haircut in Pézenas, home to get ready for dinner out. 2012 Terres en Couleurs Roussanne, 14%, for Cora Lee while I had a Pastis before going to Les Goutailles for  dinner, Thai soup for Caramandel, rabbit paté with hazelnuts for me, then a wonderful meal, two types of lamb for Cora Lee and Peter Rabbit's French cousin for me! Creme bruléefor dessert. Corkage, (€3.50/$4.88), on a bottle of Faugères L'Liquieriere, magnifique! Next table, couple from Kent, wife, husband from Germany, Lubeck, Pauline and Erhardt. Immer auf drei/Beimen das dritte/Will nicht waschen!

British threesome at table as we were leaving, Cora Lee fussed as she had to wait for an  hour and a half, on a door stoop, in village, on way home, for me to arrive as I had key to Beau Soliel, as well as the secrets to the UNIVERSE! Sir Terrance and Linda: younger sister and brother-in-law, Jenny and Keith, @ www.bramptonstables.com, former, own a house in Neffiès so possible house exchange or break and enter and squat!

Hi Patrick!

Many thanks for your email. Pleased to know that all is going swimmingly in France. Although pretty traumatic event regarding Jaime. Obviously you pushed him too hard! Fortunate that it was nothing more than a fainting episode. He may not be rushing to ride a bike anytime soon!

We have now moved out of Granville Island after a more than pleasant stay and are now at Krissy and Marks. We drove them to the airport yesterday and they are now sipping their margaritas in the sun! They almost didn't make their connection in San Francisco because of delays at security and had to run 26 gates to just make the plane before boarding closed! Fortunately on the way back it is a direct flight.

Have now completed the flooring at K and M and it looks great. The co op have also replaced the badly soiled stair carpets with wood vinyl. So much easier to keep clean with the animals.
 

We had a very pleasant stay with friends at Gibson last week. The weather was kind and we ate and drank far too much! We had a great evening with Chloe at the veggie restaurant we also enjoyed her fundraising event. Gayle managed to get two auction items, a lovely quilt and a bag!
Krissy is trying to convince Chloe to go with her to the UK next September!

Friends from Nanoose Bay are in Vancouver for a couple of days so we are meeting them downtown this evening for a few drinks and dinner. They have lived on Vancouver Island for about 6 years but have only visited Vancouver for the odd seminar with their respective employment. Consequently, they decided to take the float plane across and do a bit of sightseeing on the mainland!

I must say with all the eating and drinking we have been doing since arriving in Vancouver I won't be sorry to get back to some normality otherwise I would need to buy a whole new wardrobe!

We will now look after the animals until we fly back to the UK on Tuesday and two of their friends will be staying her for a few days until they return from Mexico. I have a couple of odd jobs I would like to get done in Krissy and Marks place before we leave and Gayle still have a few things to pick up before we start to pack.
 

I would imagine you now have plenty of company in France and will be preparing for your Midi boat trip soon.

Best wishes to all and continue to enjoy your vacation Derek


I got lost.  Where are you?  How is the weather?  better than here?  We (Orcas) have been having buckets of rain off and on. Gail 

Something we may want to consider: Lawrence Hill, author of the Book of Negroes and more recently 'Blood' would be willing to speak to the NRBC.  Maybe we can discuss on Sunday. He is giving the Massey lecture this year. G




 

No comments:

Post a Comment