Saturday 7 September 2013

Beau Soleil Blues: Sunday, September 8th

Letter writing is the only device for combining solitude with good company. -George Gordon Byron, poet (1788-1824) 

 


for anyone who can't get their hands on a hardcopy of Pnin (or audio version). Like smiles at McDonalds, free, of course: http://lavachequilit.typepad.com/files/pnin-.pdf  VL

 Hello Kjell! 

Grand to hear from you! Funny how these things work. I was about to send you a message when yours arrived. A few days ago, now, I happened to find two small tins of Läkerol stuffed into a side pocket of one of my knapsacks. I guess I'd put them there when we were visiting Gävle in 2010 and missed them when unpacking! At any rate, I've taken to popping a few into my mouth before most rides. Must say I had forgotten how much I like them and will have to ration them carefully.

Glad to hear that all goes well in Vancouver and that you are back on the tennis circuit. Say hello to Paula. Cora Lee is in Venezia at the moment and doesn't arrive here in Neffiès until September 22nd. She flew from London to Rome on September 2nd while I took Eurostar from St Pancras and then TGV from Paris to Béziers. Picked up my rental car and have been enjoying life in paradise ever since, although "having problems of abstinence, and I'm not talking about cycling, mind you!" My Navigator, Montague foldable bike, has been best investment I could imagine. What a way to spend time here and in Cornwall and Yorkshire!

Up until this past Friday night, I had had nothing but incredibly sunny, sunny, hot weather.
Didn't get up until 7:34 am this morning to a the gorgeous, rain-washed landscape outside my bedroom window. Forecast suggests that their might be a some light showers, (Neffiès and Pésenas seem to small to have their own particular forecasts so I tend to "bracket" ones for Montpellier and Béziers. Oops! Just found a site: http://www.accuweather.com/en/fr/france-weather, which provides detailed forecasts for Neffiès!), later today but think I'll risk a ride later in spite of yesterday's thorough soaking! Latest consult now suggests I'll be fine!

Best wishes to Jane. Take care of your abstaining elbow! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Pésenas Market; après Power Shopping; kitchen après deluge; this freshly scrubbed morning!

Hello Goilages!

Trust everyone is well across the scattered world. Didn't get up until 7:34 am this morning, (I woke at 2:30 am, thinking I was dreaming as I heard English being spoken. Turned out there were a number of British people on the street outside my window. I assumed that they had just arrived in Neffiès and were staying in one of the nearbye houses. Quite strange when one is otherwise immersed in a non-native tongue. Before I went back to sleep noticed that rain had stopped by then so was pleased as it had been pouring all evening and when I turned out the bedside light.), to the gorgeous, rain-washed landscape outside my bedroom window. Love and Cheers, Dad/Patrizzio!

Hello Kettle Valloids!

Thanks for snapolas from Okanagan. Sounded and looked like a more than grand trip. Will be great  to have you both, (Sylvia on her new Carbon Fibre!), as guides next time! Trust everyone is well. If you have a moment send Kjell a message as I think he'd be interested in joining you for a ride, at some point. Any contact with Derek/Gayle? Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Slamin' Steve! Not sure if I have correct email address for you so thought I'd send one to Ross as well, for him to forward, if need be. Please arrange to have my Escape waiting in Agen, October 12th, at the end of our two week canal barge. We'll need it to drive back to Paris before Chunneling to London! Plenty of room so bring Escape and you can stay for nothing!  

Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Mr Grizzle!

Saw you on a Linkedin Update so thought I'd say hello. Trust you are well.Plenty of room so bring salmon and you can stay for nothing! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Elaine and Ted!

I have been meaning to express my sympathy on the death of your lovely Mother ever since you let us know, at the end of August. I know Corinne send a message of condolence earlier but I wanted to add my deepest sympathy as well. Your Mom was such a delightful lady and I always enjoyed our visits. I know she had been failing for some time and that things had been difficult for many reasons. My heart goes out to you, even more, in light of all that you have had to endure, of late. I trust that the joy of your newest grandchild, Oliver Michael Vaughan, [Please pass along congratulations to Kristina and Alejandro, (no time for cycling now!)], until I've time to do so myself], will mitigate, to the extent possible, the loss of your exceptional Mother. Again, deep sympathy to you and all your family.
 

This being said, trust you are well. Bit hard to "crow" about our travels when your lives have been so inordinately difficult. Love and Fondestos to both you and Theodorakis. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Maret and David!

Saw that you are following me on Twitter, Maret! Funny as I really don't even know how to use system efficiently and have to keep asking for a new password as I don't use it often enough to remember it from one post to another! Anyway, thought I'd say hello. Trust you are well as haven't heard a word for years!!! Plenty of room so bring Twitter for Dummies and you can stay for nothing! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Lurch and Grogg!

Trust you are both well. Sorry that it has taken me so long to reply to your missive from Tallin, (Love to visit at some point!), but Life on the Road has been busy! Don't know Galli but perhaps Stefano does. Believe he and Kathleen are in Italy now, but not really sure about dates/whereabouts there. Plenty of room so use some Air Miles and come and stay! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Sarge!


Trust you and Flamin' are both well. Heard from Lurch and Grogg! fromTallin. Seem to be enjoying themselves. Plenty of room so use some of The Millionaires Air Miles and come and stay! Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hello J's Squared!


Trust you are both well. Thought I'd say hello and bring you up to date, at least form my perspective. Plenty of room so throw caution to the wind and come and stay! Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Hello Kurt!


Trust you are well. I think you have an old email address for me. Interchange account has changed and Linkedin won't let me connect with you! I assume you did initiate this request but perhaps not, as this system seems to have an electronic mind of its own! At any rate, thought I'd say hello. Plenty of room so sell your house in Panama and come and stay! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hello Picasso et al!Trust everyone is well. Plenty of room so put Picasso in cryogenic storage, throw caution to the wind and come and stay! Cheers, Patrizzio!

 Hello Terrace!

Trust everyone is well. Has wedding taken place? If so, hope everything came off as planned. 
Plenty of room so sell Porsche and come and stay! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Goils!

Trust you are both well. How was wedding? Hope everything came off as planned.  Plenty of room so throw caution to the wind and come and stay! Cheers, Patrizzio!


 Hello Snobby Bobby!

Trust you are well. How was wedding? Hope everything came off as planned. Anyway, thought I'd say hello and try to bring you up to date, {IF YOUR MAILBOX ISN'T FULL}, at least from my perspective. (Re-sent last message, back in mid-August, three times before I gave up in abject defeat!)
Plenty of room so sell a few paintbrushes and come and stay! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Shot from local ferry of ocean liner going out of harbour as we headed for the train station.
Did not have Internet for past 2 days. Have arrived in bologna in lovely B&B just going out to explore. Ayn see that you are going to visit John. Love to all, C


Got your email, sounds like fun, but you must miss being with the Sisterhood!

Sitting on our deck sipping a St Emilion watching boats on the Seine, from where Monet stayed and painted, along with many other impressionists. Saw an incredible Impressionist exhibit in Rouen, where we stayed 3 nights-probably over 100 of Monet's alone, plus others, from all over the world brought in for a special 6 month expo.

I recall a couple of great French rides with Fred in St Emilion, and then over in St Remy en Provence- very enjoyable! Off to see some DDay sights, Canadian Cemetary etc, so will have extra Kleenex tomorrow. A couple of weeks in Normandy and Brittany before Paris.

Look forward to seeing you back in Canada, maybe late September, or early October. Will email again soon with some pics. Enjoy!! Grog & Lurch


Today's ride:             Today's weight: 80.7 kg = 177.913 lb

http://connect.garmin.com/activi/372701232#.Uiy9CjHGfMM.email 

Hi Pat,

Thanks for message. Mailbox should be working well now. We are on the run. Ellie has given me only 10 minutes to email so an abbreviated response from the high desert of SE Oregon and from the Crystal Crane Hotsprings. Had a divine soak and then made breakfast in a kind of communal kitchen. Please see attached video. I will read your travel report later, when we get to a motel. We camped last night under a canopy of stars after some 600 kms of travel from the foggy shores of Lincoln City, also in Oregon. 


OMG it sounds like heaven!  The food And the locals look divine!  I could gaze all day. Especially the one that looks like Beckam. Not much news here.. Have fun!

Patrizio!

I am wondering if you'd be willing to serve as the SET-UP/STRIKE Crew Captain for the Sunday Brunch & Tea? This would mean working the 8 am - 11 am shift, then the 12:15-3:15 shift and, if you're very agreeable, the 5-9 shift as well.

Crew Captain does mean extra responsibility, but it's mainly a communication/liaison role, although I'm sure that Heidi would get you hauling coffee urns, etc. Let me know, ok? I am beating the bushes right now trying to drum up Crew Captains, so may not have to impose on you....you'd be a great asset as well on the Service Shift crew. The choice is entirely yours! I hate to ask anything more of you, given how great you've been overseeing the 1398 bar. If you can't bring yourself to take on the captaincy for the Brunch & Tea Set-up/Strike shifts on Sunday, I may lean on you to captain the Service shifts :) Please feel free to share all your thoughts on this. Thanks so much, hope to hear from you soon. Kathryn

Hi all, Loving the duo Euro diary and photo emails.  Went to visit Samantha in the hospital last night while Alex was working. She came down with a bout of diverticulitis and has been there three nights being treated for it. A very painful intestinal infection unfortunately.  Alex had a bed brought in and sleeps there each night. I think he is excellent boyfriend material. The heat continues here!



I am flying to Bellingham on the 19th and Chloe will pick me up. Staying three nights...flying home on Sunday.  Need to figure out my way back to Bellingham. Chloe could you ask any Sutherlands if they're going to Seattle for a game that day? Or maybe Gaelen could take a trip to the mall that day? Thanks, Love Ayn

Erich just called from David's in Vancouver...John had a stroke this evening. He's in ER and will be admitted. Jonathan is with him. Not sure what to do yet. Ayn
 
Talk to Eric regarding how he is. Maybe you should be going now. Love, Mom

Hello Giggster, Diamond Jim and Proper Job!

Trust everyone is well. I've included the three of you for a number of reasons:

A) You are all cyclists, more or less!
B) Proper Job has never been to Yorkshire so I'm hoping Diamond Jim will make the rides there so appealing that he'll move from Sydney to either
Long Marston, Askham Bryan or Bilton-in-Ainsty!
C) Giggster has been remiss about including Proper Job in The Peloton so please extend some Granola/Birkenstock/Sustainable Tofu Vancouver hospitality!!!

Heard from Robo Man, James, that you are back running. I suppose that makes it easier to stop for lattes!
Any whale watching, Derek?
When am I to collect you at Béziers train station, Whirlygig?
  Didn't get up until 7:34 am Sunday morning, (I woke at 2:30 am, thinking I was dreaming as I heard English being spoken. Turned out there were a number of British people on the street outside my window. I assumed that they had just arrived in Neffiès and were staying in one of the nearbye houses. Quite strange when one is otherwise immersed in a non-native tongue. Before I went back to sleep noticed that rain had stopped by then so was pleased as it had been pouring all evening and when I turned out the bedside light.), to the gorgeous, rain-washed landscape outside my bedroom window.

Very pleased about the change in the weather as I had a glorious ride yesterday, longest in France, just short of my Cornwall best. Sky had managed to empty itself over the course of the evening/night so day dawned clear and soft. As I mentioned, I wasn't up until 7:34 am so I had enjoyed a bit of a lazy sleep in. Just pottered around all morning, working on updating The Diaries. Enjoyed not having to do anything but listen to BBC 2, sip java, look out window and watch the few clouds throw moving shadows over the vineyards in the middle distance. Very large bowl of Carrefour Muesli, topped with Activia, Aroma Vanille yogurt and a fresh peach, for breakfast/brunch which sustained me for the ride ahead.
 

My cycling shoes were nicely dry when I checked them around 2:00 pm so I oiled my bike chain, washed clean by the pounding rain of the day before, and after I'd lubed myself with sunscreen and suited up, I locked the door of Beau Soleil and set out to scale Mont Neffiès from the get-go. Each time I do this climb it gets easier so pleased that my fitness is improving. Also, once one knows a given ascent, it is usually easier as one knows how long the climb goes on.

Once near the top I decided to follow a side road I'd noticed before. It would take me to Vailhan and I wanted to approach this village from a different direction. Bit more of a relatively easy climb before I was at the crest of the new hill and then a long descent into the valley on the other side. Much more rugged here, hillsides covered with dense scrub, few if any trees and not many vineyards. Ones I noticed were fairly small.  Still, a very attractive landscape and I enjoyed finding myself close to where I thought I would be when I reached Vailhan, on a narrow lane leading into the small town square.
 

By this time I'd decided that I was going to revisit the steep hills around the far side of the reservoir so took the road towards Fournols and pressed on. Passed a number of couples strolling along the edge of the road so didn't feel quite as lonely/isolated as on last ride. Made my way around the numerous fingers of the reservoir to the base of the climb, took a couple of gulps of camel water and started off. Once again, I was pleasantly surprised to find the ascent wasn't as crushing as I had remembered. Day wasn't as hot as on first climb so that helped. Also, same familiarity/fitness factors, (ones I mentioned earlier), came into play and I was in Fournols, but a house and a tractor, before I knew it. (Didn't actually realize it at the time but Fournols is a town close to Lyon, in fact, so sign actually indicates but an out of the way, back-country approach!)
 
At any rate, one descends into another valley here. Road narrows considerably after the intersection but it was an easier downhill glide this time as recent rain had washed roadway clean. Didn't take too long and I was back climbing again. This section is probably a tad steeper than first hill but I plugged onward and upward and reached still dilapidated, deserted Paders without too, too much difficulty. Did see a car this time so I presume someone might actually live here, in one of the spooky looking, large weathered buildings.

From here it was nothing but a delirious, extended downhill swoop, through Montesquieu and the surrounding hillside vineyards, confidently negotiating the tight switchbacks even more quickly than the car I could see below and ahead of me, the effort of the long climbs completely forgotten in the euphoria of the eagle soar. Then into and through Gabian to climb the next hill, (Basically, almost all the towns/villages in this region are located on hilltops or in river valleys so one is faced with a climb, one way or another!), roadway lined with more magnificent plane trees, past Le Chateau de Cassan and then into Roujan.
 

At this point I had decided that I'd make for Caux so when I came to the first road leading there I turned off, about two-thirds of the way to Neffiès. had not taken this particular route before but it wasn't much different from one closer to Neffiès itself and I was soon climbing into Caux. Bit different from riding in a monsoon so I quite enjoyed seeing the scoured streets of the town. Once through Caux, Nizas was next and then Lézignan-la-Cèbe. This route is now rather familiar so I knew precisely where I was and where I was going. Furthermore, slight downhill grade and with the strong wind at my back, I hurtled along at over 30+ km with little if any effort.

Once I reached Lézignan-la-Cèbe I slingshot myself through the roundabout to head north towards Paulhan. I ridden this road, in the opposite direction, on one of my earlier rides, but once through Paulhan, itself, I followed Route de Cleremont-l'Hérault rather than Route d'Aspiran. Former is a better class road but traffic was light so I "tacked" along. Wind was now smack dab in my face and it was blowing fiercely, Dear Reader! Would stand up, every so often, to pedal in order give my legs some relief from riding into a hurricane. Persevered and finally reached turnoff to Aspiran. Had not approached this town from this direction before but had my bearings once I was in town square. Was making for Péret and was just about out of Aspiran when it occurred to me that I should have taken road to Lieuran-Cabrières instead so with a bit of dipsy-doodling I turned around and took Ave. Georges Clemenceau north towards LC.

Terrain was reasonably flat but wind more than made up for effort required. Was almost like riding on a stationary bike at times, such was the force of the wind sweeping relentlessly down and across the valley floor. In fact, it was far easier climbing the sheltered hills than fighting the incredibly powerful gusts.

Was very pleased when I reached Lieuran-Cabrières as route to Péret took me south for some much needed respite. Unfortunately cyclone was back when I had to turn north once again and I almost lost the will to live, Dear Reader! The wind really was nearly impossible and my legs were tiring. Never been so happy as when I finally reached Péret and was able to ride west towards Cabrières. Climb out of Péret was a piece of cake as opposed to approach on the flat, into a whirlwind.



Descent into Cabrières was not as easy as it should have been, again on account of the gale force wind but at least gravity was on my side. Once I'd reached Cabrières I thought my troubles were over. And they were, at least until I started to climb mont Neffiès. The first switchback takes one back into the full force of the explosive blasts but since the grade isn't too steep going isn't all that difficult. This changed once I'd made it as far as the second, much longer stretch. Here, even standing up, I could barely make headway and although I screamed at the technicians operating the super-sonic wind tunnel fan they either couldn't hear me or chose to ignore my blue language! Never so glad as when I made the next switchback and didn't even bother to try and kick, (to drained to un-clip anyway), the dog who snarled and ran at me as I passed the house not far from the top of the seeming mountain!
 

Once there all seemed worthwhile as I now sailed along, enjoying the magnificent view. The sun had pushed through the clouds and the valley below was drenched in sunshine. Young couple had parked their car on the shoulder and were snapping shots of the postcard view. I tossed them my card so that they could forward best images. Couldn't even imagine stopping to touch The Burning Ground, at this point, after all the sustained effort. Anyway, I didn't have my camera with me so it was a moot point. Swoosh down into Neffiès was doubly exhilarating as I'd finally done an "up-and-over squared". Had about 75 km on the clock by the time I was mid-village so made for Roujan next as I wanted to break 80 km mark. 

Whistled along avenue of plane trees and then cut back towards Vailhan after reaching outskirts of Roujan to return to Neffiès via the vineyards. Wind wasn't too, too bad on this leg and I was soon on Ave de Fontès and outside Beau Soleil just short of 7:45 pm, tickled pink, high as a kite and sunny-side up, the longest ride here in Languedoc, to date!



Ride stats: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/372701232#.Uiy9CjHGfMM.email


Inside to stow bike and gear and then a java while I diced garlic, oniones and red pepper for frittata I was going to make for dinner. These fixings ready I jumped into shower and luxuriated in massage of the hot water. 


Always plenty and never have to wait but a few moments. In fact, one needs to be careful not to scald oneself by inadvertently bumping hot water tap. Towel wrapped around my waist, back into kitchen to sautée first ingredientes and then opened a bottle of Ormarine 2012 Picpoul de Pinet to celebrate my achievement. Toasted myself and my Navigator and then added some kartofellage along with some small chunks of the same sausage as night before. Once everything was sizzling nicely I cracked six eggs into mélange and folded and tumbled, adding sprinklings of Poivre Gris, Basilic and Herbes de Provence, more is better, just for good measure, and when comcoctione seemed just right, turned off gas and let it simmer in cooling fry pan while I put together my mixed green saladin: lettuce, red cabbage, tomatoe, topped with Coeur de Lion, Normandy, Camembert, slices of radish, (hot little buggers), finely sliced red oniones and Jean René's Lucques olivettis. 



Assemblage finished I enjoyed my food and drink as Kinsey learned about her latest missing -persons' case. Dinner finished, half a bottle drained I repaired to my keyboard to digitate and sip until close to midnight. Then did the dishes, brushed and flossed and read until 12:30 am. Pleasantly cool so I drifted off remembering paragliding, almost free-falling into Gabian, the rushing wind snatching the yelps of joy from my mouth no sooner than uttered, flung back at the crows cawing in the trees I whistled past.


As you can tell, Derek, I'm creeping up on my best ride in Cornwall! No time for lattes, Jimbo, but I did encounter a lone jogger, however! Do you know him? He said he moved from Wetherby two years ago when he was refused a social membership at the golf course there!


I spit on the wind out to Iona, Giggster, as whenever I was headed north on today's ride, I could barely make headway and took to standing up. When I was on return ascent of Mont Neffiès I thought I was with Mallory on Everest or at least in a Boeing wind tunnel!

Plenty of room so throw caution to the wind and come and stay! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello O Susannah and Champagne!

Trust you are both well. Plenty of room so catch one of the cheap/almost free flights you have access to and come and stay! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Deborah! Trust you are well and that things have improved, as far as both your parents and your neighbours are concerned.  Plenty of room so come and stay! Cheers, Patrizzio! 

So, now they've moved the Eurostar departure hub to St.Pancras... (I think this is the 3rd shift in recent memory.) I have fond memories of St. Pancras because that's where the trains went from London to where I used to livi in Luton... Situation not much better here with either parents or neighbours although the hearing date is now set for October 17. I will be conducting cross-examination, spoke to a lawyer who viewed my neighbour's "evidence" and pronounced they didn't have any. I can, however, prod them about their criminal records on the stand, meaning I can shoot holes in their credibility - which is the aim of the game. Enjoy your life! Deborah

Hello Portland Editor/Textual Critic and Digitale!

Trust you are both well and that Michaelo's copy editing microscope is in good working order! I appreciate your close attention to detail, Mr Persnickety, but your comments about self-glorification, (mine, as opposed to yours since you obviously don't have much, if anything, to self-glorify about!), are wrong, simply wrong! (See attached picture for evidence!)  Plenty of room so come and stay! Bring your 9HB pencil and plenty of Duty Free malt! Cheers, Patrizzio!  Pic: Young Patrizzio, l'Innocente! 


Hello Maggie!
 
Trust you are Franceso are well. Thanks for the detailed family history! Sorry it has taken me so long to reply.
Plenty of room so come and stay! Cheers, Patrizzio! 

How I wish. I loved Italy but France would be my next choice. Florence is certainly idyllic but not for anyone who wants to rent a vehicle, absolutely nowhere to park. The pics you took made my mouth water and the wine well, enough said. Don't you just love wandering through a market and sampling wine!! Didn't see wines offered at a market where we were. Certainly wouldn't see that in Canada unless it was non alcoholic perhaps. Still, you are an adventurer and have an adventurous palate!! Good thing you can cook too!! How is your francais?? Were you using it? We did attempt to speak as much Italian as we could; the locals love it! I must admit I find Italian much easier to learn than Spanish.
 

We are off to Penticton Oct 25 to attend the Celebration of Life on the 26th for my Auntie Pat, 92, who passed Aug 24th. She just missed Uncle Roy, 93, who passed July 15, too much and was eager to join him. Both died peacefully at home with family present. From there, we will head south to Osoyoos where we will cross the border, being certain not to mention anything about wacky weed. It seems that Justin Trudeau has certainly lit a fire he may regret. Don't know if you have been following the Canadian/USA news since you left home. They are now preventing folks from entering the States if they admit to smoking pot. The ban is for 5 years. I wonder how some of the honest politicians will get around this one!! Syria of course is the huge issue at present. Scary move for Obama. Wish he would think before he opens his mouth.
 

Fall has descended upon us and it has been lovely here since the beginning of August. I love Fall, the aromas & the colours! Travel safely mon ami and enjoy each and every savoury moment! Ciao, Maggie

Hello Duhlink and Madcap!

Sorry that it has taken me so long to reply. Trust you are well. Regards to our dear Merry Prankster Milk Maniac Madcap. Truly sorry you two won't be able to spend some time here as it really is a wonderful situation, the house, the community and the area. Anyway, here is the first set of snaps of the party. More to follow. Fondestos, Patrizzio!


Pics: Before and just beginning! Beginning and during!  During! During! and the morning after! The party's over! The party's over! Have you lost the will to live yet?

Hi Lisa!

Trust you are well. Please forward these to Lauren. I thought that I had her email address but don't. Really enjoyed meeting Elizabetta and Alistrado! Cheers, Patrizzio!

 
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment