Sunday 8 September 2013

Beau Soleil Blues: Monday, September 9th

 Words are like money ... it is the stamp of custom alone that gives them circulation or value. -William Hazlitt, essayist (1778-1830) 


It is as easy to dream a book as it is hard to write one. -Honore de Balzac, novelist (1799-1850) 

Strepitant: strepitant, adjective, also strepitous, noisy; boisterous.

From Latin strepitantem, present participle of strepitare, from strepere (to make a noise) 

Factotum:


noun: A servant or a low-level employee tasked with many things.

From Latin factotum, from facere (to do) + totus (all). Earliest documented use: 1573. 

Hello Cruel Task Mistress!

Trust you are well in spite of the pre-Festival juggling. I'm happy to serve as
SET-UP/STRIKE Crew Captain for the Sunday Brunch & Tea and/or work on the Service Shift crew. Your wish, Caesarina, is my command. So let it be written, So let it be done, (Dunn)! [BUT, he whines, will I have time to do my Diaries?]

Just let me know what you'd like me to do as the beating of the bushes flushes, or not, prey into your talon-ed clutches. Whether she would consider role or not,  perhaps you might entertain approaching Die Direktoren Cora Lee as she is far more efficient, (especially at barking out orders, spiting them out, staccato-like, in fact), and, paradoxically, diplomatic in a
communication/liaison role, than 'yer 'umble servant, Memsahib! The ball is now in your court, Serena!Since you initiated this contact, thought I'd subject you to another missive. Plenty of room so come and stay if VWF cajoling becomes too, too much! Fondestos to fellow harried. I await, with bated breath, your reply, by return post, Madame. Fondestos and Cheers, base, mean Scullion/
Sguattero Straordinaria Patrizzio, Esq!


I understood you had already Left Venice! Gondola jam under the Bridge of Sighs?

Hi Ayn, et al:

Difficult situation, all around, but Nana's advice seems sound.



Just by chance I heard this song on BBC 2 just as I was stating this message. Had heard it a number of times before and thought it was by Serena Ryder at first but upon further investigation I discovered song was by Passenger. You may already know this but in case not, here are the lyrics:

http://www.youtube.com/user/lamborghiniivo?feature=watch

Further surfing lead me to discover
that
"Mike Rosenberg, better known by his stage name Passenger, is a British folk-rock singer-songwriter. His stage moniker comes from the folk-rock band of which he was the co-founder, main vocalist and songwriter, and which released just one album." I followed more links to "official videos" and have been listening ever since!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8IPgWk9RNM&list=TLve8A6D9vcX4

Perhaps his voice and lyrics will be of some comfort and help, given what you must deal with regarding John's desperate situation. Onward! Fight!!Had a glorious ride yesterday, longest in France, just short of my Cornwall best. Sky had managed to empty itself over the course of the evening/night so day dawned clear and soft. As I mentioned, I wasn't up until 7:34 am so enjoyed a bit of a lazy sleep in. Just pottered around all morning, working at updating The Diaries. Enjoyed not having to do anything but listen to BBC 2, sip java, look out window and watch the few clouds throw moving shadows over the vineyards in the middle distance. Very large bowl of Carrefour Muesli, topped with Activia, Aroma Vanille yogurt and a fresh peach, for breakfast/brunch which sustained me for the ride ahead.


My cycling shoes were nicely dry when I checked them around 2:00 pm so I oiled my bike chain, washed clean by the pounding rain of the day before, and after I'd lubed/suited up, I locked the door of Beau Soleil and set out to scale Mont Neffiès from the get-go. Each time I do this climb it gets easier so pleased that my fitness is improving. Also, once one knows a given ascent, it is usually easier as one knows how long the climb goes on.

Once near the top I decided to follow a side road I'd noticed before. It would take me to Vailhan and I wanted to approach this village from a different direction. Bit more of a relatively easy climb before I was at the crest of the new hill and then a long descent into the valley on the other side. Much more rugged here, hillsides covered with dense scrub, few if any trees and not many vineyards. Ones I noticed were fairly small.  Still, a very attractive landscape and I enjoyed finding myself close to where I thought I would be when I reached Vailhan, on a narrow lane leading into the small town square. 


By this time I'd decided that I was going to revisit the steep hills around the far side of the reservoir so took the road towards Fournols and pressed on. Passed a number of couples strolling along the edge of the road so didn't feel quite as lonely/isolated as on last ride. Made my way around the numerous fingers of the reservoir to the base of the climb, took a couple of gulps of camel water and started off. Once again, I was pleasantly surprised to find the ascent wasn't as crushing as I had remembered. Day wasn't as hot as on first climb so that helped. Also, same familiarity/fitness factors, (ones I mentioned earlier), came into play and I was in Fournols, but a house and a tractor, before I knew it. (Didn't actually realize it at the time but Fournols is a town close to Lyon, in fact, so sign actually indicates but an out of the way, back-country approach!)


At any rate, one descends into another valley here. Road narrows considerably after the intersection but it was an easier downhill glide this time as recent rain had washed roadway clean. Didn't take too long and I was back climbing again. This section is probably a tad steeper than first hill but I plugged onward and upward and reached still dilapidated, deserted Paders without too, too much difficulty. Did see a car this time so I presume someone might actually live here, in one of the spooky looking, large weathered buildings.
 

From here it was nothing but a delirious, extended downhill swoop, through Montesquieu and the surrounding hillside vineyards, confidently negotiating the tight switchbacks even more quickly than the car I could see below and ahead of me, the effort of the long climbs completely forgotten in the euphoria of the eagle soar. Then into and through Gabian to climb the next hill, (Basically, almost all the towns/villages in this region are located on hilltops or in river valleys so one is faced with a climb, one way or another!), roadway lined with more magnificent plane trees, past Le Chateau de Cassan and then into Roujan.
 

At this point I had decided that I'd make for Caux so when I came to the first road leading there I turned off, about two-thirds of the way to Neffiès. had not taken this particular route before but it wasn't much different from one closer to Neffiès itself and I was soon climbing into Caux. Bit different from riding in a monsoon so I quite enjoyed seeing the scoured streets of the town. Once through Caux, Nizas was next and then Lézignan-la-Cèbe. This route is now rather familiar so I knew precisely where I was and where I was going. Furthermore, slight downhill grade and with the strong wind at my back, I hurtled along at over 30+ km with little if any effort.

Once I reached
Lézignan-la-Cèbe I slingshot myself through the roundabout to head north towards Paulhan. I ridden this road, in the opposite direction, on one of my earlier rides, but once through Paulhan, itself, I followed Route de Cleremont-l'Hérault rather than Route d'Aspiran. Former is a better class road but traffic was light so I "tacked" along. Wind was now smack dab in my face and it was blowing fiercely, Dear Reader! Would stand up, every so often, to pedal in order give my legs some relief from riding into a hurricane. 

Persevered and finally reached turnoff to Aspiran. Had not approached this town from this direction before but had my bearings once I was in town square. Was making for Péret and was just about out of Aspiran when it occurred to me that I should have taken road to Lieuran-Cabrières instead so with a bit of dipsy-doodling I turned around and took Ave. Georges Clemenceau north towards LC. Terrain was reasonably flat but wind more than made up for effort required. Was almost like riding on a stationary bike at times, such was the force of the wind sweeping relentlessly down and across the valley floor. In fact, it was far easier climbing the sheltered hills than fighting the incredibly powerful gusts.

Was very pleased when I reached
Lieuran-Cabrières as route to Péret took me south for some much needed respite. Unfortunately cyclone was back when I had to turn north once again and I almost lost the will to live, Dear Reader! The wind really was nearly impossible and my legs were tiring. Never been so happy as when I finally reached Péret and was able to ride west towards Cabrières. Climb out of Péret was a piece of cake as opposed to approach on the flat, into a whirlwind.


Descent into Cabrières was not as easy as it should have been, again on account of the gale force wind but at least gravity was on my side. Once I'd reached Cabrières I thought my troubles were over. And they were, at least until I started to climb mont Neffiès. The first switchback takes one back into the full force of the explosive blasts but since the grade isn't too steep going isn't all that difficult. This changed once I'd made it as far as the second, much longer stretch. Here, even standing up, I could barely make headway and although I screamed at the technicians operating the super-sonic wind tunnel fan they either couldn't hear me or chose to ignore my blue language! Never so glad as when I made the next switchback and didn't even bother to try and kick, (to drained to un-clip anyway), the dog who snarled and ran at me as I passed the house not far from the top of the seeming mountain. 

Once there all seemed worthwhile as I now sailed along, enjoying the magnificent view. The sun had pushed through the clouds and the valley below was drenched in sunshine. Young couple had parked their car on the shoulder and were snapping shots of the postcard view. I tossed them my card so that they could forward best images. Couldn't even imagine stopping to touch The Burning Ground, at this point, after all the sustained effort. Anyway, I didn't have my camera with me so it was a moot point.

Swoosh down into Neffiès was doubly exhilarating as I'd finally done an "up-and-over squared". Had about 75 km on the clock by the time I was mid-village so made for Roujan next as I wanted to break 80 km mark. Whistled along avenue of plane trees and then cut back towards Vailhan after reaching outskirts of Roujan to return to
Neffiès via the vineyards. Wind wasn't too, too bad on this leg and I was soon on Ave de Fontès and outside Beau Soleil just short of 7:45 pm, tickled pink, high as a kite and sunny-side up, the longest ride here in Languedoc, to date!
 

Inside to stow bike and gear and then a java while I diced garlic, oniones and red pepper for frittata I was going to make for dinner. These fixings ready I jumped into shower and luxuriated in massage of the hot water. Always plenty and never have to wait but a few moments. In fact, one needs to be careful not to scald oneself by inadvertently bumping hot water tap. Towel wrapped around my waist, back into kitchen to sautée first ingredientes and then opened a bottle of Ormarine 2012 Picpoul de Pinet to celebrate my achievement. Toasted myself and my Navigator and then added some kartofellage along with some small chunks of the same sausage as night before. Once everything was sizzling nicely I cracked six eggs into mélange and folded and tumbled, adding sprinklings of Poivre Gris, Basilic and Herbes de Provence, more is better, just for good measure, and when comcoctione seemed just right, turned off gas and let it simmer in cooling fry pan while I put together my mixed green saladin: lettuce, red cabbage, tomatoe, topped with Coeur de Lion, Normandy, Camembert, slices of radish, (hot little buggers), finely sliced red oniones and Jean René's Lucques olivettis.

Assemblage finished I enjoyed my food and drink as Kinsey learned about her latest missing -persons' case. Dinner finished, half a bottle drained I repaired to my keyboard to digitate until close to midnight. Then did the dishes, brushed and flossed and read until 12:30 am. Pleasantly cool so I drifted off remembering paragliding, almost free-falling into Gabian, the rushing wind snatching the yelps of joy from my mouth no sooner than uttered, flung back at the crows cawing in the trees I whistled past. To be continued...



Up at 8:33 am this morning. Didn't wake up once so ride must have tired me out. Or was the wine? Nevertheless, another gorgeous morning. Back to workstation with my cup of Instanto, (Carrefour Discount but not any different from higher-end stuff, at least as far as I can tell!), to beaver morning away. Zapped overleft frittata for brunch and it was even better this morning! Once I've tidied up my mailbox I will stroll up to village square. I need another head of lettuce but that is about all. Have been getting in provisions, ready for Sir James, ever since I arrived but might need to do a bit more shopping before I collect him Wednesday evening at Béziers train station. He arrives at 8:30 pm so will likely go there a few hours ahead of time to scope out the town beforehand.

Not sure where I'll ride today. Might try heading back to Gabian and on towards Faugères as I've not ridden that way before. Into the real climbs so not sure if I want to go all the way there after yesterday's ride. Will wait and see where my nose takes me. Haven't ever taken the exact route I've had in mind when I set out. I am nothing if extraordinarily spontaneous and impulsive, Dear Reader, as you well know!




Much Warm Love, Fondestos and Cheers, Dad/Patrizzio, Humble Cyclist, Doting Father, Dutiful Husband, Stylishly Dressed Man-About-Town, all rolled into one tasty morsel!!!


Pics: morning views: dove, framed by power lines, perched on rooftop of house across the street; front garden of house next door; my favourite, favourite avenue of plane trees leading from Neffiès to Roujan; latest tally!

PASSENGER "Holes"
I know a man with nothing in his hands, nothing but a rolling stone
He told me about when his house burnt down, he lost everything he owned
He lay asleep for six whole weeks, they were gonna ask his mother to choose
When he woke up with nothing he said I'll tell you something
When you've got nothing, you've got nothing to lose

Now I've got a hole in my pocket, a hole in my shirt, a whole lot of trouble, he said
But now the money is gone, life carries on and I miss it like a hole in the head

I know a woman with kids around her ankles and a baby on her lap
She said one day her husband went to get a paper and the mother fucker never came back
Mortgage to pay and four kids to raise, keeping the wolf from the door
She said the wolf's just a puppy and the door's double locked so why you gotta worry me for
 

 Now he left a in hole in my heart a hole in a promise a hole on the side of my bed
Oh now that he's gone well life carries on and I miss him like a hole in the head
Well sometimes you can't change and you can't choose
And sometimes it seems you gain less than you lose
Now we've got holes in our hearts, yeah we've got holes in our lives
Where we've got holes, we've got holes but we carry on

Where we've got holes in our hearts, yeah we've got holes in our lives
Where we've got holes, we've got holes but we carry on
Said we've got holes in our hearts, yeah we've got holes in our lives
Where we've got holes, we've got holes but we carry on


Said we've got holes in our hearts, we've got holes in our lives
We've got holes, we've got holes but we carry on
Said we've got holes in our hearts, we've got holes in our lives
We've got holes, we've got holes but we carry on

Said we've got holes in our hearts, yeah we've got holes in our lives Where we've got holes, we've got holes but we carry on


Planete Velos:
Address: 31 Avenue Emile Combes, 34120 Pézenas, France Phone:+33 4 67 98 34 04



Hello Whistler Woman! Trust Gran Fondo went well. (Owner of Beau Soleil, Simon Collins, was entered as well.) Had some of my own quasi-GF rides over last few days so thought I'd say hello and try to bring you up to date, at least from my perspective. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio, Humble Cyclist, Doting Father, Dutiful Husband, Stylishly Dressed Man-About-Hamlet, all rolled into one tasty Nem Thai roll!!!



PS: I spit on the wind out to Iona as on return ascent of Mont Neffiès I thought I was with Mallory on Everest or at least in a Boeing wind tunnel!

PPS: Still plenty of room so sell Jake, throw caution to the wind and come and stay! 


Today's ride:                   Today's weight:  88.7 kg = 177.913 lb 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/373149786#.Ui4JgrB8NgY.email 

Hope you're having lots of fun. Ill forward this onto Lauren no problem. What dates are you back in England as we may get to see you before you head home.
Hope Corinne feeling better after her fall. Hi Patrick these dates don't work for me. CoraLee



Hi all:
I have changed my flights to this Thursday...the 12th thru the 15th. Thank you Poppa for the lovely support and musical therapy. Will forward to Bart as well as I think he will appreciate it. He is taking me to Mary Chapin Carpenter next Feb...as his musical beard. Love Ayn 
Today's ride:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/373149786#.Ui4JgrB8NgY.email

Hi Pat,


I'm so glad to hear from you.  Your cycle routes in Languedoc sound wonderful.  I want so badly to ride there one day - soon, I hope.  Dermot and Jake and I really want to return to France, although Italy is beckoning also.  Regardless of where we go, I'm going to do some cycling when I am there.  Are you riding your fold-up bike, or have you rented a road bike for the duration?

My Fondo was great.  Started out with some rain (it was only mist, really, but soaked my shoes) which lasted for about the first 1/4 of the ride.  By the time we got to Whistler it was a lovely day.  I don't often get to Whister but whenever I do, I never want to leave - it is such a gorgeous place!  My time (chip time) was 5hours and 50 seconds!  One hour and 4 minutes less than my first and only Fondo in 2011.  My actual riding time was just under 5 hours which what I was hoping for (although I didn't think that I would make it).  I was exhausted but exhilarated.  I managed to join some pace lines along the way but only intermittently - but every bit helps.  


The Fondo didn't get the 7,000 riders that they had allowed for - the results charts shows that 813 women rode and 3,086 men.  If you know any fit female singles, get them to start riding - thars men out there!!  Anyway, I was 17th of 186 in my category (women 50 to 59) which I'm really pleased with.  And I was 158th of all the 813 women in the ride.  Top quarter which seems good to me!!



BC liquor laws are ever so gradually getting into the current century (or at least the 20th) - Whister was able to grant the Bearfoot Bistro a catering license for the Celebration in the Olympic Plaza which meant that underage people could attend also.  It makes so much sense, after all we bring our children into restaurants so why not beer gardens?  And the average age of Fondistas/Fondistos is 48 so it's not like we were going to booze it up like college students!

It was good to hear your description of the Saturday market in Pezanas.  We were staying just about 12 houses away from the street where the market is held.  Our house was about 300 hundred years old!  But with really nice modern plumbing, thank goodness.  Thanks for sharing the photos, too, they bring back very fond memories.


Favourite places in Italy!

All for now - please do write again.  Given the reportage on vino and spirits consumption, you have an excellent memory for details.  The rose sounded lovely - I am, unfortunately, unable to drink red any longer.  It seems that red wine just doesn't agree with some women reaching a certain age group (bad headaches, ultra red-face, savage mornings-after etc) and I am one those women.  I really enjoy your travelogue writings, thank you for sharing. Sara



PS:  Please tell me that you don't wear white cycling shorts.  Men may be handsome and svelte in regular clothes but white shorts (made see-through with sweat and rain) provide WAAAY too much anatomical information. 

Chloe,

Thanks for making it possible to pick me up and bring me back to Bellingham this week...here is my revised itinerary. See you Thursday night xoxo 



Hi Gudrun, thanks for the email. I've had a great time in Italy so far. Venice was charming, really loved Burano such a colourful island. We went to Modena by train, very short 35 minute ride from Bologna and tasted some balsamic vinegar and had a wonderful lunch. Off tomorrow for Cinque Terra to walk or train and boat around coast. Weather has been so warm. Enjoying breeze tonight. Hope to see you both in Canada soon. It was wonderful to spend time with you both in Cornwall. Thanks for your warm hospitality. Love, Corinne
How my monk doing? Just off to bed and getting train around 9 am tomorrow. Will take 2 train changes to get to Cinque Terra. In lovely B&B, would definitely come back to this area again. Thanks for all your ride info. Makes me tired reading it. Too bad John is deteriorating. Feel badly for Ayn and of course for him. Thinking about you, Much love. CoraLee
 
Hi Patrick
 

Thanks for pics - did u take any of the dancing queens?  Will try to download on my computer. Glad yr enjoying France and will soon have yr close friend to guide u on expeditions! Steve just arrived from Minorca - staying in Lisa's room for time being. Elodie out dancing and I'm off to bed. Bob sante etc au revoir xx

Hi Dunners,


We are celebrating the 60th anniversary of the club this year and resurrecting some history. Do you have a "choice" article that you wrote about Team 2 after one of our sterling victories? We hope so. If you do, can you forward one to me as we will display  and frame it.


Thanks, Pepperoni Kid PS we won the League Championship in 1985-86, 1986-87 and 1990-91 (my last year playing singles). Is that awesome or what?

Patriçio, This brings back such good memories to me.   I remember riding though all of those towns.  Sometimes we would go as a group of six.  More often just the three men would go, sometimes just two men, and sometimes I would go myself.   You can almost see the tour going through. It really is a cycling paradise. 

How are you finding the little store in the Neffiès?  Have you been to the two restaurants yet?  How did you find the Pésenas market? Life is good, Dennisovitch

The medical world is full of acronyms. A patient who is "DNR" has a directive demanding that doctors not use certain means to potentially prolong the patient's life. "CBC" stands for "complete blood count," a diagnostic tool used to measure various aspects of the components of a patient's blood. And there's "NPO," which stands for "nil per os" -- Latin for "nothing by mouth" -- and instructs patients and caretakers alike that the patient must refrain from eating or drinking until further notice.

And then, there's "TTFO" -- "told to [go away]," let's say.

In 2003, the BBC interviewed Dr. Adam Fox, a physician at St. Mary's Hospital in London. Fox had "spent four years charting over 200 colorful examples" of doctor slang -- terms physicians have used to, among themselves, complain about patients out in the open.


One just needed to know the lingo. Among the offensive-if-you-knew-what-it-meant initialisms were FLK ("funny-looking kid"), LOBNH ("lights on but nobody's home"), and DBI ("dirt bag index," referencing the numbers of missing teeth and tattoos of the patient in question). Another one, according to Wikipedia (and not mentioned in the profile of Fox) is GOMER, an acronym for "get out of my emergency room," which is used to describe a patient "bordering on death, hence taking up room unnecessarily in the hospital." (Yikes.) In general, these notes go undiscovered or, at least, unnoticed by patients, which is a good thing, because no one -- least of all an ailing person awaiting care in a hospital -- wants to be find out that he or she is a ten out of ten on the dirt bag index or so sickly as to not warrant the attention of an ER doc. 

But in one case documented by Dr. Fox, a patient did, in fact, notice an initialism -- the aforementioned TTFO. Thankfully, the doctor covered for himself -- he said it stood for "to take fluids orally."

Bonus fact: Doctors aren't the only ones who use snarky acronyms and initialisms to describe those who they are charged with helping, but are often considered less-than-desirable. Computer user support professionals (the IT help desk at your job, perhaps) have one as well: PEBCAK. It means "user error," but of course, is in code: it stands for "Problem Exists Between Chair and Keyboard." It's so commonly used that it once made an appearance as a Daily Double on Jeopardy! in the category "Online Insults."

No comments:

Post a Comment