Monday 9 September 2013

Beau Soleil Blues: Tuesday, September 10th

The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas. -Linus Pauling, chemist, peace activist, author, educator; Nobel Prize in chemistry, Nobel Peace Prize (1901-1994) 


Hi Vittorio!

Thanks for link to Pnin. Unfortunately, I won't be at the next NRBC but plan to read book anyway. Here is link to my longest ride, to date, here in Languedoc:


http://connect.garmin.com/activity/372701232#.Ui7CA4jrl-k.email

Are you volunteering at VIFF? Seems like a stellare line-up of films. Guess I'll have to try and see the ones that are screened, post-festival. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: A few shots from last Saturday's market in Pézenas!

Hi Brenda Louise!

Continuing to have a wonderful time here, weather, countryside, pace of life being what they are. A cyclist's paradise so I'm in Nirvana! Here is link to my longest ride, to date, here in Languedoc:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/372701232#.Ui7CA4jrl-k.email  With yesterday's ride: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/373149786#.Ui4JgrB8NgY.email


I have finally stitched together a plan to shoot for 100 km. Will gird my loins for it either later today or tomorrow, before I head into Béziers to collect Jamie, friend from London, who'll be staying for a week. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Bob!

Enjoyed video of Crystal Crane Hotsprings. You'll know Oregon like the back of your hand, if you don't already!
Cheers, Patrizzio!


 Hi Norman and Brittany, aka Saint-Émilion People!

Monet exhibition sounded wonderful. Did you hear about the Van Gogh that has just been discovered/verified? Quite a story: "The first full-size Vincent Van Gogh painting to be discovered in 85 years has been authenticated as a genuine long-lost work of the Dutch master after an odyssey that included lingering for six decades in the attic of a Norwegian industrialist who had been told it was a fake." Cheers, Patrizzio!

PS: I might forget The Sisterhood and run away to join the circus!

Hi Maggie! Cora Lee has been having a wonderful time in Italy. In Cinque Terra now, I believe. Your comment about Florence reminded me of time, back in 1997, when we had to return our rental car to an outlet near the central train station.

Spent about an hour trying to find place as there was a warren of one-way streets and not knowing the area we couldn't seem to find how to reach our destination even though we'd catch brief glimpses of it as we passed, helplessly, one narrow street away! Didn't help that there was a traffic jam, outside the station, as we approached and locals simply started driving every which way, backing up, going sideways, honking, honking, honking. Imagine this at Portage and Main at rush hour! Still don't know how we extricated ourselves from chaos complete and returned car without a scratch!!!

If you have a few extra days after the Celebration of Life for your Aunt Pat, why don't you consider a quick visit to Vancouver? You are more than welcome to stay and we'd love to see you both. We are back on 19th and then volunteering for VWF until 27th but that is not a big deal, as far as you staying. 


I'm sure you can entertain yourselves on either Saturday, (We are in charge of a bar at Studio 1398 but only have shifts from 6:00-800 pm and then usually attend an event), or Sunday, (I might be working all day. Not yet confirmed.), depending on when you might arrive. You could, if interested, even take in an event or two as Festival is right on Granville Island, just a minute from us. Anyway, think about it and let me know and we'll plan accordingly.On Wednesday off to Béziers to collect Jamie Gairdner, (Did you study French with his Dad at U of W?), friend from London, who'll be staying for a week. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Della Street!

Your mention of Luton is quite a coincidence, inasmuch as our friend Penny, with whom we stay, lives at Mill Hill Broadway, a stop along same line that goes from King's Cross/St. Pancras, as you well know. In 2010 we went to see The Railway Children and it was staged, (Bleacher seating on both sides of the track with a real locomotive!), in the "theatre" which occupied the space when Waterloo International closed after the Eurostar service transferred to the new St. Pancras railway station.

Have had more "visitors" this morning than I've had since I took possession of place. First were Niall, (property manager), and Mike, (tradesman), both British from the sound of their accents, here to look at front door. Gather owner, Simon, wants some work done on it. An hour later a very pleasant chap was here to read water meter. Some problem with interpreting dials so someone else will drop by tomorrow. Can't escape the Utility Polizei no matter where one tries to hide! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Lisa!

We plan to be back in London, pushing you out of your digs at MHB on Thursday, October 17th! This would probably be best evening to see Lauren as we are out with your Mother's close friend, Jamie, and his wife, Pat, on the 18th. However, if that doesn't work, I'm sure we can squeeze in a drink some other time that works for everyone. Let me know closer to time and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Ayn, Chauffeur and Train-Setting Nana! Glad you were able to change your travel plans. Pleased that you obviously found Passenger so powerful and moving. Hello to Bart.
 

Have you ever started Titanium Green, Branson?

Cora Lee, had a message from Lisa about connecting with Lauren who will be in London when we return. I told her we plan to be back in London, pushing her out of your digs at MHB, on Thursday, October 17th! This would probably be best evening to see Lauren as we are out with her Mother's close friend, Jamie, and his wife, Pat, on the 18th. However, if that doesn't work, I suggested we could probably squeeze in a drink some other time that works for everyone. Told her to let me know closer to time and we'd plan accordingly.


Everyone has been asking about Cora Lee's coccyx! (I didn't know you were traveling with an exotic pet!) I've replied that she has been having a wonderful time in Italy so I assume you have recovered or else have been washing down some powerful drugs with copious amounts of Montepulciano! In Cinque Terre now, I believe, if sporadic messages can be believed! Bring back beach towels!!! Fondestos, Warm Love, and Cheers, Dad/Patrizzio Il Monaco!

Pics: I might forget The Sisterhood, put on my monk's cowl and run away to join the circus!

Hello Duhlink!Sorry, I didn't capture any of The Dancing Queens' gyrations! Think I was starting to feel the effect of the long day by the time the groovin' started! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Pepperoni!
Great to hear from you! I do know about VRC's 60th. You might want to contact Morley  as he scanned and put quite few Team II newsletters online. I don't have website with me as I bought a new laptop and it doesn't have all my older files, etc. I'd be happy to go through what I wrote once we return on October 19th. Is that time enough? Cheers, Il Conduttore!



Hi Dennisovitch and Ragin'!

Great to hear from you! I've only used the store in Neffiès once, last week. Went there yesterday to buy a head of lettuce but it was closed! Settled for an extra ounce of malt! Haven't tried any restaurants yet a I know Cora Lee will want to do so. As I think I've mentioned, she is in Italy at the moment and doesn't arrive here in Neffiès until September 22nd.



Everyone has been asking about her and I've replied that she has been having a wonderful time there so I assume she has been washing down copious amounts of Montepulciano! In Cinque Terre now, I believe, if her sporadic messages can be believed!
Loved market in Pézanas and am looking for to showing it off to Jamie this coming weekend. Unfortunately, we leave for Agen on Saturday, 28th, so not sure if we'll have time to take it in while Cora Lee is here. Cheers, Il Conduttore!


Don't come unless you have read the book. A missive from Pat de Hooligan.

Hello Nicotinigan et al!

Great to hear from you and know that you have not let your pushiness and penchant for misattributing false statements flag since I've been away! Life is tough here.
Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Hi Whistler Wonder Woman!

Fabulous result on your Fondo! Bravo! Bravo! Bravo! Congratulations indeed. Sounds like a party after event was something as well. I can remember, (You are far too, too young!), when you could not move from table to table with your drink! One of the reasons I like being in Europe so much, aside from everything else, of course, is just how relaxed things are about alcohol. Anyway, I suppose I'll have to re-evaluate asking you to join our riding group once I'm back. Don't think any of us will be able to keep up with you! On the other hand, you don't have to worry, in the slightest, about my cycling attire, at least as far as the white shorts you mention. My Sisterhood despairs of my gear and always compare me to riding mate, Whirlygig, who is always very nicely and appropriately turned out. I'm still wearing two long-sleeved, cotton tops from a 1997 double tournament! In fact, they are poifect for the conditions I've been cycling in for a number of reasons. I try to minimize the amount of sun I expose myself too so the long sleeves are good for that. As well, the cotton is very light and is quite cool, drying quickly, particularly in this heat, so I have my own skin-fitted air-conditioning unit!


However, I am bowing to Sisterhood Fashion Pressure and will leave both tops in Chabeuil, near Valence, along with all the other riding gear I brought over. Close friends, Rosemary and Andre, have a wonderful, wonderful farmhouse, (3 stories with a huge swimming pool and on and on and on), and will very kindly store these things, along with my Montague foldbable Navigator, of course. Yes, I'm riding it as opposed to renting, although I miss my Trek Madone carbon fibre. By the time all is said and done, probably cheaper than latter, given I have a place to store it. We hope to spend more time in Europe, over next few years, so this makes more sense than hauling all my cycling stuff back and forth across the Atlantic.

Just back from my longest ride, in Europe, to date:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/373693290#.Ui9gwS8WjpM.email

Not as big a deal as your terrific ride but I'm quite chuffed about finally breaking the 100 km mark. I did one 80 km, or so, ride in Yorkshire, and 86 km outing in Cornwall but just didn't have the time or the terrain to go longer until I arrived here.
First link is to my longest ride, here in Languedoc, before today's outing:


http://connect.garmin.com/activity/372701232#.Ui7CA4jrl-k.email

With yesterday's ride:


http://connect.garmin.com/activity/373149786#.Ui4JgrB8NgY.email

I had a good idea of how to finally stitch together a plan for the magic 100 km.

Couldn't have asked for a better day, sunny but not too hot by the time I set out around 2:30 pm. At least that is what I thought until I had to ride into the ferocious head wind. I actually came to look forward to the various hill climbs as they were, by and large, far easier than battling the malevolent mistral on the flat!

The climb out of Neffiès to Cabrières is getting much easier and therefore more enjoyable! The section from
Cabrières to Clermont-l'Hérault is perhaps my very favourite, so far. Aside from the fact that it is relatively flat until the glorious downhill swoop into ClH, the road runs throough a lovely, lovely valley, manicured vineyards climbing up the hillsides. There are, as well, some stunning, mammoth rock outcroppings, paleolithic Brobdingnagian fangs snarling  at the puny mortals below.
 

Made up time on section between Lieuran-Cabrières and Lézignan-la-Cèbe as the mistral was hurrying me along and the road surface was wonderful. Knew I'd be in trouble when I swung north after loopng through Pèzenas towards Nizas. Didn't mind too, too much, especially as I happened to pass by Terres en Couleurs whose product I'd tasted at the market last Saturday. I knew, roughly, where it was located but now I now exactly where it is and plan to visit when Cora Lee is here. Speaking of wine, sorry to hear that you can't drink red but there is more than enough white to keep even Superwoman happy. For my part, I'm drinking more and more white, (Can't get enough of some of the Naramata Bench wineries' product. Do you know Black Widow, per esempio?), and never thought I would. According to Hemingway, in Death in the Afternoon, mature wine drinkers come to whites as their palate develops! Take heart!

Had to tack sideways from Caux to Roujan and then I was riding on a spoke and a prayer as I'd not ridden to Aligan-du-Vent before. As it turned out it was a wonderful, narrow, lane, probably only used regularly by locals for vineyard maintenance, etc.
Once I left Aligan-du-Vent I realized how well named it was! Veritable hurricane when I left its confines. Battling for much of the way to next village I had to circle around the centre of Abeilhan a couple of times as I keep missing sign to Espondeilhan. However, once I found it I enjoyed the ride, particularly out of Espondeilhan as road runs between massive plane trees which go on for miles and miles and miles, (Sounds better than "kilometres", at least to my ear!), not to mention ubiquitous vineyards!

Once in Magalas I was on home turf as I'd ridden that far yesterday. Really needed a sail between there and Fouzihon but another swoop down into Gabian made up for soul destroying gusts. Wind was at my back into Roujan so climb out of Gabian was almost fun. Penultimate leg to Vailhan was taxing/frustrating/maddening but by this time I'd clocked over 90 Km so I wasn't going to give in to Aeolus at this point. Put my head down and tried to enjoy the setting sun, dropping slowly behind the hilltops off to my left. Climb into Vailhan isn't too difficult although, as is often the case, I've found, the wind howled with even greater force, as I turned the last corner to finally escape its horrific power.

Knew just where I had to turn, out of Vailhan, to make my way back towards Neffiès and was more than pleasantly surprised to find climb was really not very difficult, especially with wind at my back most of the way. Not long after climbing out of Vailhan, I was screaming down Mont
Neffiès and heading for Beau Soleil. Just a tiny dipsy-doodle to add a bit of distance to the odometre and I pulled up on my doorstep with 103.45 km to show for my effort. Hip Hip Hooray! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Ride stats: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/373693290#.Ui9gwS8WjpM.email

Time to open the Terres en Coleurs 2012 Roussane! Cheers, Patrizzio!



Pics: Sky this evening; odometre evidence!

Après Vélotoday's weight: 80.2 kg = 176.811 lb

Those Garmin sites are really something.  How are you connected?.  Must be a fairly sophisticated GPS,

I have always wanted to go to the port of Rochelle. Since studying my Family's Acadian roots this is the place an ancestor started out as well as a place where later generations were dumped after the Expulsion.  Beside the deluge you must be having fairly warm weather?

Hello Patrick Your friend Jamie has just called to confirm he arrives at Beziers station @ 20.27 tomorrow. Kind regards Niall Ps it was nice to meet you this morning N

Bon Soir, These may be the finest words of wisdom that I have witnessed, that seem to apply to our motley crew of friends and family!! Petr the Great really understood the meaning of grog. I shall have this framed and presented to the Island Inn, the Madrona Manor, and wherever the Twits gather! Laugh well my friend..Grog

Dear mr. and mrs. Dawe,
Please find hereby the drinking rules of Peter the Great.
A selection from the rules of the  'Drunken Synod' Decree by Peter I. On the dignity of guests which there must be at assemblies. Before appearing before the company the guest should satisfy the following requirements: 1)    He should have washed carefully, without neglect of 'those' places. 2)    He should be thoroughly shaved, so that the tenderness of the ladies is not afflicted by vile stubble. 3)    He should drink as much alcoholic liquid as his heart desires, as long as his legs keep him upright. Should the legs unexpectedly refuse then drinking should be continued seated. Nothing more should be served to those who are recumbent, even if they request it, as this could cause them to choke. Honour to those who have choked! For such a death has been regarded in Russia as exceedingly honourable since the primeval age.  

4)    He should, if he knows no measure, rely on a friend, for he is a better guardian to you than the state. 5)    Those who are completely drunk should be carefully removed, without injuring them, so they form no hindrance to dancing. Those removed should be separated and sorted according to sex, for otherwise great confusion will be unavoidable on awakening. 6)    On seeing someone of extremely high status, even if it is the Tsar: do not be too cast down, do not let your mouth fall open, but do not start to toady either - you can scarcely be of service, and in a drunken state are probably thrice more likely to offend and irritate.
With kind regards, Natascha Heijne. Projectleider Tentoonstellingen Curator of Exhibitions Hermitage Amsterdam

Hi Patrick

I seem to have lost some of the pics u sent.  There was one if Paul playing the sax and my friend Ricki has asked if I can send.  Would u be able to send me just that one please?

Catch up soon xx
 
Carol Riera
Patrick James Dunn Just to prove I was putting coins in and not taking them out, Paprika!
  • Patrick James Dunn You look like a cherub on the roof of the Sistine Chapel, praying that La Polizia Fontana won't clap you in irons!
     
And if you do join the circus, will it be acrobat or clown? (Easier tohide from the Sisterhood in a clown suit.) A bientot! Deborah

Punchinello certainly!
 

Thx for your kind offer, Pat. We have already made plans to stay with a friend in Roseburg, Oregon and then another in Thousand Oaks, CA before having to arrive in Yuma on the 1st. I coordinate the Zumba group in our Park which begins the 2nd while Frank teaches Player Development for the Pickleball Club of which he is the outgoing President. Perhaps another year. Penticton will no longer be a regular stop as both Aunts & Uncles are gone. My friend in Oregon is 88 while the family friend in CA will be 91 on Oct 11. These people are special to us so we try to see them while we can.

The only cars we really saw driving were mainly cabs. The train station is on the outskirts of the downtown area so some from outlying areas do drop off people there. Parking is nearly impossible. Much wiser to rent a scooter. Even parking for scooters is at a premium. The streets are very narrow and there is definitely a one way system. We had considered renting a car but were forewarned by many friends who had been there before us. We took the local bus system to get a few places and the Sita Ordinaria as opposed to the Sita Rapida to travel to Sienna. 


We never did try the trains. I love traveling through the countryside and the small villages so this mode of travel was perfect! We walked a lot too, probably 10 k a day. I was feeling very fit when we left. It balanced off all the pasta/ pizza/cheese/fresh bread we scarfed down, not to forget the vino tinto we drank every day! Our little studio apt, about 300 sq ft, including a small galley kitchen and very teeny shower/toilet/sink, was 81 old stone steps from the ground to our door. The day we arrived with back pack style luggage in tow, I didn't think I would ever leave more than once a day. By the last week, we were climbing those steps 2/3 times/day one way. They certainly love stairs in Florence. Everything goes up rather than out and of course there might be only one elevator in a museum so not worth the wait. Must run as haven't eaten or showered yet. More to come. Thx again for the offer. Maggie 

Dear Professor Garmin Maltagiano:
 

Encouraged to read and see that you are passing a bearable late summer a la campagne.  Keep up the good work.  Guy   

Hello Patrick

Your friend Jamie has just called to confirm he arrives at Beziers station @ 20.27 tomorrow.
Kind regards Niall Ps it was nice to meet you this morning N


What a day you had Patrick!!!  I can't believe you went for a bicycle trip after imbibing all that wine at the market.  Great pictures BTW!!!  Love them. What a lucky man you are not to have been struck by lightening, washed down the road and into a ditch or gotten pneumonia
The wedding was fabulous. Thank you for asking.  Here are a couple of pictures for you and Corinne to enjoy once she comes back from the Sisterhood.

I'm so glad you wrote. I have wondering how your trip was going. It doesn't look like Tricia and I are going to be able to visit you in Europe this time but I have some good news... I have met a wonderful man and he loves to travel all over the world so maybe we'll end up somewhere with you two!! Much love, Trice

I am going to suggest that we meet on the 29th September,  chez Misha. Misha, thanks for offering to host. Misha will provide directions to his new digs. Look froward to seeing you there with the exiled cyclist on Skype from France. Nicedriveway,

that day works great for me, it's the one Sunday in September I do not have work. Thank you Misha. See all of you on Sep 29th VL
Hi Dunners, 
Nice life of leisure you lead.....Yes once you get back a choice article can be selected for the "wall". Cheers, Peps

Hi D, have not started you mint julep of a car yet!! will at some point Sunday as i work at the brewery!! love you

This evening, while I was throwing together my simple supper, (fried kartofellage/oniones and local sausage, together with a cabbage, carrot and radish salad, (haven't picked up any lettuce yet!), and toasting myself with a glass of Terres en Couleurs 2012 Roussane, (magnifique!), I put some of Sainsbury's finest Cannellini beans,  (muled from Cornwall as I knew they might come in handy in spite of Cora Lee's raised eyebrows and wrinkled nose!), in a large pot of water to soak overnight.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment