Tuesday 17 September 2013

Beau Soleil Blues: Tuesday, September 17th

A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul. -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, writer and scientist (1749-1832) 


Chimera:


MEANING:

noun:
1. A fanciful fabrication; illusion.
2. An organism having genetically different tissues.


ETYMOLOGY:

After Chimera, a fire-breathing female monster in Greek mythology who had a lion's head, a goat's body, and a serpent's tail. From Greek khimaira (she-goat), ultimately from the Indo-European root ghei- (winter), which is the ancestor of words such as chimera (literally a female animal that is one winter, or one year old), hibernate, and the Himalayas, from Sanskrit him (snow) + alaya (abode). Earliest documented use: 1382. 

Chimera

Dear Ayn:

Heartfelt condolences on the death of your father. Irrespective of the fact that you have always had and have had to endure a very difficult and problematic emotional relationship with John, his death is not something that leaves you unaffected. That you were able to be with him so shortly before he died must have been a significant comfort to you both. Nonetheless, a sad, sad story with but a heavily qualified ending.

To a certain, limited extent I think I can imagine your state of mind and heart. I was estranged, more or less, from my own father when he died and it took a goodly length of time before I was able to understand/accept, not only his behaviour but also my reaction to it. This is not the time to go into all the painful details but suffice it to say that with the love and support of friends and family, (The caring Vancouver Vogts, as you have already mentioned, and Los Horridos, your mother, your sister and I, obviously), I know that healing is possible, and necessary. You are a strong, emotionally healthy person. You have demonstrated this in countless, countless ways ever since you sat under the tree in front of Hotel Kits with your arms folded and a frown on your face!



Enough! I go on and I'm sure rolled eyes and looks of exasperation already appear on Nana's and Chloë's faces. Again, sincere sympathy. Love, Poppa/Dad!

Pics: Just a few pictures from yesterday's day trip to Carcassonne, with Jamie. An incredible site, (about an hour and a half away), as you can well imagine. The statue of the Madonna and Child is my sympathy card to you.


Hello Villa Person, et al!

Very relieved to learn that your coccyx is becoming less painful. Even better that your abode is so comfortable and that you are getting to know the countryside even if you can't spell "Montepulciano", Dusty! Bring a couple of bottles of your favorites and I'll show you mine if you show me yours, Babycakes!

Let me know train #, etc., and arrival time in Béziers on Sunday, September 22nd. Otherwise it's a good walk since the bus doesn't run on Sunday!

How are you doing, Ayn? Trust you are coping. Too, too bad that you couldn't just snap your fingers and be here in Neffiès as it would do you a world of good just to be in this quiet, beautiful corner of Paradise. Next year!

Chloë, how did the Trivia Night go? I gather it went well from a comment Ayn made so pleased to hear that.

Quite a day, yesterday, with Fumble von Bumble. Pleasant sleep in until 8:30 am. Jamie joined me a couple of hours later and we didn't so much but laze about, having an extended breakfast/brunch of cereal/yogurt/fruit with a couple of boiled eggs each. After I put on a load of Jamie's laundry he said his back was a tad sore so he lay down for a nap, on the rugs, on the floor of his "gym". The hard surface helps his back. AS it turned out, he drifted off until just after 3:00 pm. He then had a cup of tea, banana and some chocolate biscuits to fortify himself for the coming ride. By the time he was ready to ride it was close to 4:00 pm and we set off, making for Fontés. I had mapped out a route that would minimize the climbs we would need to take as I didn't want to tax Sir James inordinately, given that he has not been riding regularly.  
He did well, managing, for the most part, to shift into the appropriate gear, but still doesn't think far enough ahead. I have learned that I need to tell him, well in advance, that "around this next bend we will be going up a moderate grade so you should probably be shifting into second", per esempio. Bit like walking a toddler as he looks and comments on everything, which is fine, but invariably, he weaves back and forth, chattering all the while, so that he is often in danger of running off the road or else into me! Experience has taught me that it is better for me to ride behind him, (in my highest gear, the better to slow myself down to his more than leisurely pace), so as to be able to keep an eye on his zigzagging. Shepherding cats is a far easier task, Dear Reader! That being said, I exaggerate, but there is much truth in what I say, nevertheless.


Yet, because of the glorious nature of the afternoon and the landscape we were traversing, it was a most congenial time. Approaching Carbrières we witnessed La Vendage as we passed a vineyard being harvested with a mechanical harvester and closer to town a coopérative where the crush was in progress. While Jamie stopped to have a drink from his water bottle, (I improvised with an empty milk container as a regular water bottle is too small for holder on his bike.), as I circled, I had to dodge the small tractors, pulling bins of grapes, waiting to dump their loads into a hopper to begin the crush. Across the road another man was washing down his harvester on a concrete pad obviously set up for this very purpose.

Delighted to have seen this activity we proceeded up the gradual grade out of Carbrières towards Perét. With the extremely strong wind now at our backs, we literally sailed along, taking in the spectacular valley below and off to our right. Once in Perét we turned south. The grade is slightly downhill from here, basically all the way to Pézenas, so still having the wind behind us we were soon approaching Adissan. Turned right close to the outskirts and cycled towards Fontés, now back fighting the fierce blow. Back through the village to climb the long hill we'd descended so easily about an hour earlier, to take a short-cut into Caux. The run here is such that one descends for almost the entire length of the valley floor and so it was quite exhilarating to swoosh along, forgetting, momentarily, that another climb awaited before would be in Caux itself. Still, Jamie was doing very well so we plodded along and eventually we crested the last real hill of the ride.  
Approaching Caux I specifically told him to bear right when we reached a bend in the road. True to form he went left but eventually caught up to me, after striking up conversations with all the locals about, stopping to take pictures only to realize his camera was back at Beau Soleil and taking off the jacket I told him he needn't wear! As well, he would have stopped to find the post office to buy stamps and set up a language exchange with the postmistress and mail postcards if he'd taken the time to write any after spending ages trying to decide which ones to buy at the market on Saturday! 

Out of Caux we made for Roujan as I wanted to loop back, along the grand avenue of plane trees which runs between there and Neffiès. Jamie had learned that there was a former railway station, (He quite likes such edifices and makes a point to search them out on his travels.), not far from the outskirts of Neffiès and from what he had said about where it was I though that this would be the best way to approach the building and finish the ride. I didn't really know where the former station was located so told him I was planning to make for home while he continued his search. I wanted to go to Terres en Couleurs for a degustation later as evenings were best for winery owners. By this time it was just after 6:00 pm and I knew, Jamie being Jamie, that we'd be lucky to leave our place for Nizas by 7:30 pm! At any rate, I told not to be too, too long, and made for Beau Soleil. 

Stats for today's ride: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/377219746#.UjiOqq1P6mg.email

Put out the wedge of cheese Jamie had bought at the Saturday market and the Saucisson Taureau, along with some bread sticks that I'd picked up at same market, a week earlier, as I knew Fumble von Bumble would be more than peckish after the ride. I was just about to jump into the shower when he knocked on the door so I helped him bring his bike in and then we both showered. Having changed and munched on the tasty snacks we set off for Roujan for a quick stop at Super U for some supper fixings and then we made for Caux. For some reason I thought the winery was between there and Pézenas and as soon as we reached the roundabout leading into Pésenas I knew I was mistaken. Bit of backtracking and we were soon driving up the lane to Terres en Couleurs.

Once we entered the yard Nathalie came out to greet us. She said Patrick was in the winery washing out the press so she accompanied us there. He was just finishing so Jamie and I sat at the tasting counter and chatted. Nathalie had gone back into the house, (the two buildings are joined), as she was preparing a meal for Patrick. With la vendange on he had had a busy day: up at 6:00 am and on the go until 8:00 pm! In spite of this he was most welcoming and once we'd shaken hands we chatted, Sir James translating when necessary. Since I'd opened a bottle of their Roussanne one evening last week I wanted Jamie to taste the Vermentino-Roussanne blend, as I was particularly impressed with it and thought he might like it as well. Patrick opened a bottle and poured our tasting, joining us as his work day was over.  
Couldn't imagine a more congenial situation and we sipped and asked questions about the winery and vineyard, (He and Nathalie tore up the 45 year old Carignan vines which they inherited when they purchased the property in 1999.  (It is very small, 4 hectares/10 acres so they hand pick the grapes),  and replanted with above mentioned varietals. They kept the 47 year old Cinsault vines however, and this figures, obviously, in their reds. I was just going to ask for a some Roussanne when Jamie said he felt funny. I immediately thought that perhaps the exertion of the ride, about 37 km, was catching up with him. Next thing I knew he put his head down on the tasting counter and I started to become quite concerned. He had had very little wine, at this point, as I think he had already started to feel dizzy and nauseous. When he sat up I touched his forehead and it felt clammy. I wondered if he was having a heart attack and asked him if he was experiencing any pain in his arms or chest. When he replied that he simply felt nauseated I asked him if he would mind if I finished his wine since he had barely touched his glass. (Just joking, Dear Reader!)  
By this time, matter of seconds really, I was starting to really worry and I think Patrick was as well. He came around the counter and we took Jamie's arms as he started to slump off his bar chair. At this point I thought that he was going to faint, or worse, that he was starting to convulse. I thought I heard him gurgling and his eyes appeared to have started to roll back. All this was happening quite quickly but both Patrick and I came to the same conclusion, namely that we should lower Jamie, now more of a dead weight rag doll, to the floor. Telling him what we were about to do we levered him off the chair and holding him under the arms we managed to ease him into a prone position on the concrete floor.

Thoughts of ambulances and para-medics flashed through my mind as Patrick called Nathalie and I covered Jamie with his jacket. Lying down seemed to settle his dizziness and nausea and before Patrick returned with two small pillows and Nathalie with a box of sugar cubes, he was talking coherently, apologizing, (as one often does in such situations, feeling embarrassed for inconveniencing others, out of all proportion, of course, with the real concern that those in attendance have for individual so stricken), and apologizing and apologizing. Knew this was a good sign as once Jamie begins his usual non-stop talking it is likely that things are back to normal. Anyway, Patrick poured some Armagnac, (We later learned that he is from there!), on a couple of sugar cubes and I told Jamie to put them under his tongue and let them dissolve slowly.

Whether this folk remedy helped or not he soon felt well enough to try to sit up so we helped him into a sitting position and I started to poke fun at him, telling Patrick that Jamie would probably have to stay for a week or so! After a few minutes of banter Jamie felt like trying to stand so we helped him up and he seemed to think he was much better. He sat back down at the counter and once we were confident he wasn't going to collapse I asked to taste their Bag-in-a-Box Roussane that I'd not had as they don't pour it at the market. [At €15/$20.70 for five litres, ($4.14 for 1000 ml isn't too tough to take.),  I thought it would be a great buy for a house white on the canal barge!] Nathalie had re-joined us by then, concerned for Jamie's welfare, and she translated, (Her English is quite good.), my request. Patrick immediately went to get me a large glassful from one of the large steel tanks at the back of the winery and while I sipped, (Delighted with product, floral notes and hints of pear with a touch of pleasing acidity, so looking forward to sharing it with Flamin' and Sarge and rest of gang, if it makes it that far with Coriandre arriving in four days!), we had quite a conversation, finding out how the two met, (at agricultural college), who designed the labels, (Nathalie's mother paints and Nathalie takes digital shots of the paintings they wish to use and gives them to a printer. An obvious niche market for Dusty!), and the like.  
By this time it was about 9:35 pm and I felt we should be going, given everything that had happened and that Patrick had not yet eaten. Since I'd like to return with Cora Lee to re-taste the reds, I asked for the almost full bottle of Vermentino-Roussanne, (I planned to have it with dinner even if Jamie wasn't keen on drinking after his "spell"!), and a box of the Roussanne. Purchases made we thanked them both for their attention médicale, (We came to the conclusion, jointly arrived at,  that Jamie's system had probably reacted to one or all of the following factors: after-effects of fairly vigourous physical activity, which is not his "habitude"; very hot shower, (He mentioned that he felt a bit faint after his soak of night before.), after ride; having not eaten very many, (uncharacteristically), of the appetizers; and lastly, but perhaps the true culprit, the fermentation fumes, (carbon dioxide), that were quite noticeable when we first arrived. Fumble/Bumble is actually just a Sensitive New Age Guy under all his layers of maladroitness), and their hospitality and waved goodnight and goodbye.

Home at 10:00 pm and I immediately set about preparing dinner while Sir James put his feet up for half an hour. Didn't take long for me to sautée some oniones and once they were sizzling I added pieces of the bifteck I'd picked up earlier at Super U and let everything simmer in my latest tomatoe paste find, Panzani Tomacouli saveau basilic. Threw together a large mixed salad and when the Blackout Boy reappeared we sat down to our late dinner, just after 10:30 pm. His appetite was normal so I was pleased to see that his stomach was back on track. He even had a modest amount of Vermention-Roussane and we toasted his recovery, a number of times! Since it had been a rather full, quite eventful day, we said goodnight around midnight although I was hoping for an earlier time. We had planned out tomorrow's schedule of events and first was to have Jamie ride into Pézenas to return his rental bike.

While it is only about 13 km, at the rate he'd been cycling when we'd been out together, I estimated it would take him an hour or so. This being the case, if he left at 9:00 am I felt he should arrive at Planète Velos around 10ish. I wasn't concerned about him riding by himself but I was concerned about him getting up in time to leave by 9:00 am! Anyway, we said goodnight and I said I'd see him at 8:00 am. Then went to bed myself. Had thought I might read after brushing and flossing but I was far too sleepy when I turned back the covers. Simply turned out my bedside light and fell asleep, flashing lights and ambulance sirens whirling around my interpretive cortex!

Got him to the station on time today but that is a story for next message. Back to my hermit monk existence and not minding my solitude one iota. Fondestos, Love and Cheers, Dad/Patrizzio/Nanny/Chauffeur and Psychiatrist all rolled into one tasty chocolate croissant, with a magnum of malt on the side!!!!

Pics: Tuesday night at winery: before, during and after: Wednesday morning: from street after I walked to bakery for bread to make sandwiches for Traveller; setting off to return bike; Special Delivery "package", signed, sealed and delivered, now someone else's responsibility!


Dear Jack, I trust that you are well. I do apologize for not writing sooner but Judy informed me very recently that she had a packet addressed to me. I was taken aback to see it was sent months ago. I am so sorry not to have replied sooner. You must have wondered what was going on. Since you sent the book to Judy's flat I didn't receive it, and your letter, until early September. Having received it and the kind letter, I was, of course, more than delighted to have heard from you.

Now that I am in possession of your email address, it will be possible for me to be in easy, regular contact. My wife and I live in Old Chesham. Patricia sang with Covent Garden for 17 years and now does Tales of the Opera, an hour session to to such organizations as WI and the like. She seems to be extremely well received and is in much demand. For my part, I am a retired teacher, now supplementing my pension income doing market research, an activity which suits me very well, in terms of my personality and the flexibility of work schedules. I am a member of the Bach Choir and have been so since 1977. I am fortunate enough to have been able to travel with the Choir to many overseas and European venues. In fact, my next trip will be to China in April 2014.

Thank you for your more than generous gift of the book which mentions my father. I found this very moving and cannot express my sincere gratitude. It was both kind and most  thoughtful of you to think of me in this way and I do appreciate having such a memento. Among other things, it brings back exceedingly fond memories of my time at U of Wpg.

I do look forward to seeing you and your wife in 2014. Please let me know, when you have a moment, about the dates for the 750th anniversary celebrations of your college so that we can plan accordingly.

Once again, let me thank you for your wonderful gift. Fond regards and best wishes, Jamie!
.

Pic: Snap taken in Neffiès the night I arrived in Languedoc. 

Terres en Couleurs Envie de L'Année, 2012 Vermentino-Roussanne, 14%, perfume with minerality 

Dear Corinne and Patrick,



Just received this link, John’s research interview is now on You Tube talking about what he loves best: http://youtu.be/PGbkadsz8eA



Three of my young Ukrainian girl friends who teach at the Univ. attended along with our husbands to enjoy an afternoon of song at the Univ. on Sunday. We were entertained by one of our friends in a classical arrangement of music by Rontgen & Schumann accompanied by operatic song. Music to sooth the soul.



John took these pictures while out at sea. Our good ship “Commitment II” ( I named her) has two colourful red, blue & yellow umbrellas on the top deck. It is a cool, cloudy day here but always vibrant with its greens.  Our roof is complete and happy.



To your continued journey in your quest to experience Joy, Pleasure and Happiness. Love Jean, John, Benson & Tess

How is Ayn doing with Johns' death? Is she still in BC?
 
Ayn left to get here plane and John died about an hour later. His brother Erich was there as well as his nephew Jonathan.

Ayn is ok, I think she is really glad she went to Vancouver when she did. He said her name and she held his hand. The stroke I think was a sign his body was shutting down with all the cancer he had. 

Erich and his children were extremely supportive and loving to John so he was surround with care for which Ayn was grateful.

They are scattering his ashes at a later time. There will be no service as John did not want one.

I'm in Tuscany with friends right now. Had a good cry last night as feel sad for John.
I guess his life was not wasted as I got Ayn and the boys as a result. Love to you all, Corinne

Thank you all for your love and constant support xoxo.



Going for a walk this morning...will return to the office tomorrow.



Loving all the pics from France and Italia! !
Hi Penny, card from Patrick using my account. Having great time in Italy. Tail bone still very sore, But getting better slowly. Hope you are well,Hello to Mike, Love, Corinne
 
Had a good cry last night about John. Just felt so sad about his life. Great day in Montepulcanio?sp Lovely villa. I will send pics. Love to you and Jamie. Glad that you are enjoying each other. Love, Corinne
 

No comments:

Post a Comment