Wednesday 17 July 2013

Wetherby Bluse: Thursday, July 18th

For blocks are better cleft with wedges, / Than tools of sharp or subtle edges, / And dullest nonsense has been found / By some to be the most profound. -Samuel Butler, poet (1612-1680) 

http://connect.garmin.com/player/344291689#.UeeLFRRBUe8.email

Hello Lads! Lots to tell but wanted everyone to prepare themselves for highly anticipated, upcoming barrages of spread-sheet detailed riding statistics, at least as soon as I can actually figure out  how to use the Über odometre!

Chris and Jim met us at the York train station at just before 10:00 am and we went directly to Evans Cycles where the two Navigators, 19" & 21" frames, were waiting to be test ridden. I took both for a short sppin and immediately settled on the 21" frame. The Sisterhood waited, patiently, until I had made my choice of steeds and then left to power shop. Jim waited ever so patiently while I selected above-mentioned Garmin, All Condition Armadillos, Louis Garneau, spiffy red helmet, Shimano M520 pedals, (no collapsible ones in stock), de-greaser, oil and a RaceRocket, mini-pump, magenta, causing much consternation with the Fashion Police as it apparently clashes with the shade of red of helmet!

Jim and I walked over to a nearbye Sainsbury for a java, (James polished off a croissant as well), while bike was being worked on and when we were back at Evans the Navigator was pawning the ground, eager to be off. Making for Wetherby, we cycled through the centre of York and it was a bit disconcerting for me, riding on a different side of road, getting used to new clips, dodging traffic, etc. Anyway, it was a wonderful, wonderful ride. Unfortunately, cannot be logged as an official ride as I think I touched the Burning Ground more times over the course of the ride than I'd done since owning the Madone!


Time to suit up for our ride to Ripley Castle, north of Harrogate! Greetings from Yorkshire Jim to one and all. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hello Mimi and Friends!

Thank you again for all your marvellous hospitality! As you can tell, we are happily situated in Wetherby after a pleasant train ride to York. Other than to say hello, I must ask you to send along your street address. I forgot my address book at home, ("Dolt that you are, Patrizzio", shouted Cora Lee, and Furious Femme needs it to have train tickets, Florence to Montepellier/Beziers, posted there even if she doesn't want a hard copy!



Thanks muchly. Off to ride to Ripley Castle, near Harrogate, shortly. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!


Harrogate: 71.80 K over 5:18:54, AVG 13.5 KPH, MAX

Into Wetherby for shopping: bike gloves; bank; alarm clock, home for dinner, tagine, Chris out for her retirement dinner.


Glad yr enjoying sunny Yorkshire.  My address is Mill Hill NW7 3LT x 

Hi Patrick,

The Navigator sounds ideal and terrific for traveling. Shouldn't take you long to come to grips with riding on the "correct" side of the road! Received the link from the Garmin but unfortunately couldn't open it since my iphone and iPad don't support flash player. Could open it on the computer except my computer is totally knackered and I have to get a new one, either when I'm in Canada or when I return. Therefore, I couldn't see your impressive stats! It's bloody hot here today so have no intention of getting on the bike! Will probably get ahead of the heat tomorrow and go for an early spin. Not even walking this afternoon so will make do with lounging under the umbrella. Poor cat hates this weather and has been spending all his time on the tiled bathroom floor. Even had to take his food into the bathroom for him!



On a more somber note, I think I told you that Gayle's mother in law had terminal cancer. Unfortunately she passed away yesterday although it was peaceful and at home with her family so that was a blessing. The funeral may coincide with you being here so we may have to desert you for a day and evening to drive up to London for the funeral. Anyway, will keep you posted.

Hope you enjoyed your ride to the castle today! All the best Derek End of panic. Managed to open it without flash! Will now analyze it!!


Jim/Pat,

    
3:14:24 to do 33 miles! Were you stopping for coffee every few minutes? Must admit to the like myself. Rode with Mike Carter to Steveston and he was very keen on a cup of, so we used my gift certificate for Starbucks and I very much enjoyed the giant chocolate chip cookie. Lot of new construction in the village and with hanging baskets overflowing with a variety of colours, it was a very pleasant scene. You'll be pleased to know, Pat, that the new parkway trail down Railway is now open and we rode most of the way on it. - fantastic surface and only 1 rollerblader and 1 pedestrian along the route. We rode about 45km and Mike did very well, especially as he is only 11 weeks post-op from knee surgery.
Definitely keen to come over next year, Jim. Trying to decide whether to wear the 'Borat' one piece or a superman costume as I sprint alongside the riders in the Tour. Pat must have eaten you out of house and home after burning up 1705 calories on the ride. I can see a bombardment of stats over the next few days. Sunscreen the order of the day according to the weather predictions. Enjoy your riding and give me a call if you have time. I see Pat is wearing the same old outfit he uses over here. At least he has a new stead and a fancy helmet. Remember not to feed him on the last 5K as it will be considered an unofficial ride.

Sylvia just returned from  kayaking in Deep Cove which she said was wonderful. 26 degrees here- perfect temperature. Ray

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/344425750#.UejdBDp-kwg.email


Ray

A coffee in route would be nice. On our second ride to Ripley Castle and back I thought I was danger of dehydration and had to stop at a Harrogate garage for a lucozade drink which I was not allowed to finish.

On the York trip I was allowed an Americano on the grounds the new bike was being fitted with gadgets.

Having to find new routes to achieve higher mileages, consequently spending more time on roads I don't know so well. Found a nasty hill outside Harrogate which we were both relieved to achieve.

Visited your old Windmill stomping ground last night-its their beer festival on Saturday.

Expecting to have a BBQ with Laura and family tonight. Am trying to persuade Pat to visit York today to give me a break. We watched Tour yesterday again enraged by some of the supporters. Will try and Skype at some stage. Ji, 


Hello all!



Sorry for the late reply, it's been very busy around here. Hope you've been enjoying your travels :)



Thank you for thinking of me and look forward to setting a lunch date. This is my email and my telephone number. Speak soon. Lauren Xx

We are celebrating today!!!! Like this and share please! The more people who can celebrate with us the better!!!


HAPPY 25TH ANNIVERSARY, AUNT LEAH'S SOCIETY! To my fellow staff members and all who came before us - thank you for the incredible and important work you do!
  • Corinne Durston Aunt Leah's staff and supporters should be congratulated on their efforts on behalf of all youth who need support and care.
Please read Rebecca Solnit's letter to Edward Snowden; "Our lack of privacy, their monstrous privacy -- even their invasion of our privacy must, by law, remain classified -- is what you made visible."

The Germans are coming!  Hallo Pat und Corinne,



thank you very much for the delicious lunch! And it was really great to see you both. It was like a Journey to my youth.  The time in Canada is always something special. I even went to your old place and took some photos. When I saw your house I had many positive feelings.



I hope, we don´t have to wait for such a long time to meet again. I see you also have a good time in Europe. I wish you the best! Greetings, Olivetti 


No comments:

Post a Comment