Wednesday 3 July 2013

Pre-Departure Blues: Wednesday, July 3rd

Men are the devils of the earth and the animals are its tormented souls. -Arthur Schopenhauer, philosopher (1788-1860) 


From Wall Street!
Pat, 8:30 OK for a ride? Ray
P, I regret to admit thst I am anchored today. I used all my chips lasterday. Looks like a perfect morning for a ride. Let me know if you want this book: Solea. A good and short read. Enjoy, G 

P, from Locarno watching MT mermaid  -- with beer in one hand, latte in other.
Sorry, dropped book earlier on bike with beer and latte. Think about that.
Occurs to me that you should start the trilogy at vol 1. Solea is third and final. Really enjoyed it. W


Hi Yael/Ania!

Sorry that it has taken me so long to respond to your last message but we have had a flurry of visitors and social engagements over past few weeks. Thanks for being the Linked In go-between! I wondered if Ania was having trouble with the system. I really don't use it all that much but find it useful, at times, to connect with people.

At any rate, thanks for all the news. Wirra Wirra is one of our favourite wineries indeed. When we were in McLaren Vale last time, I was biking on the Shiraz Trail and wasn't quite sure which cross-road I needed to take to get to winery. Made it with just 15 minutes  to spare but still managed to taste everything that was being poured!



Glad to learn that all goes well with everyone in Sydney. Sorry to hear about the weather. Sounds like winter in Vancouver! For our part, it has been simply glorious over last week or so. Will be eating on our patio this evening with friends, Catherine/Matt, whom Ania knows.

Best wishes to one and all. Cora Lee sends her best wishes to you both and the rest of the gang and is busy polishing her credit cards until they gleam, even in the dark! Time to run a number of trip related errands so must away. Cheers, Patrizzio!

PS: Forgot to mention that last week Cora Lee was coming into the building and there was an ambulance in the parking lot. It turned out that it was Sheila Barkusky who was being taken away to hospital. We didn't know what was wrong but I just talked to her and she is getting better. Was hospitalized for a week with a nasty bladder infection. We've offered to shop for her if she needs anything.                         


Hello Sir James! Thanks for calling last couple of times. Sorry that it has taken me so long to send this along but we have had a flurry of visitors and social engagements this past week. Cora Lee sends her best wishes to you and Lady Patrizzia! Buona Fortuna with travel plans. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Kjell!

Great to hear all goes well with you and your antiques! Thought I'd include our itinerary in case your travel plans change.
Cora Lee sends her best wishes, as do I, to Anna, Bodil and Jane and is busy polishing her credit cards until they gleam, even in the dark! Buona Fortuna with travel plans whatever you decide. Probably won't connect until October, it seems. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi GiggsterLollyenheimer!

Trust squash went well and your sunburn wasn't too, too itchy!
Talk tomorrow morning. I'm reasonably flexible about time so if you see an opportunity I'm happy to accommodate. If we can't connect for a ride, Buona Fortuna with parenting duties! Cheers, Patrizzio!

PS: Latest word from Jim is that Montys are going to be ready by July 16th so am pleased about that, of course. Jim, as I think you know, has really been terrific about dealing with Evans. PPS: Much as I'd love to read Solea I know I simply won't have time. I'm almost finished Beggar's Opera, by Peggy Blair, a Canadian, quite an interesting murder/mystery set in Havana with a dectective from Ontario, on holiday, as suspect in the murder of a young boy. Then I need to polish off Indian Horse for Sunday! Maybe I could take Solea to read on the plane and ask one of the flight attendants to return it


P-Ray, thanks for the link. I will return the book to the library. W

Ride: Robo Ray, SP, solo UBC Imperial Loop, etc., 102.8 K over 4:53:14, AVG 21.0 KPH, MAX 55.3 KPH 

Hi Pat. It's good to hear from you. That sounds like a great trip. Have fun!

Hi again, Bernice! Thanks for travel wishes. I'm hoping to come out to UBC, once back in October, to visit with people. Be great to catch up over coffee sometime. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hey Patrick! Thanks for the message. It sounds like you are going to have a wonderful trip--I love Yorkshire and London and I bet I would also love every where else you are visiting. We haven't made too many plans for travel yet Sophie is in the Teen Shakespeare program again this year, which keeps us close to home until mid-August.

Hope you and family continue to stay happy and healthy and that you all enjoy yourselves during your travels! cheers Christina

Hi again, Christina!

Speaking of Shakespeare, last Friday evening we thoroughly enjoyed Bard production of Hamlet. Guess we'll see Sophie there soon! How time flies. Cheers, Patrizzio!

 
Hi Sheryl! Trust you are well. Bike out to UBC quite often and am dazzled by Main Mall! Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hi Ricardo! Trust you are well. Not home until October 19th, just in time to volunteer for the Vancouver Writers Fest! See you then! Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hi Bill! Trust you are well. I ride out to UBC fairly frequently and thought of you when I passed by Scarfe. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Sounds like a great spot to be. Have a double-malt for me - although with my celiac affliction I can't touch the stuff. Let's get in touch when you're back. We're enjoying beautiful sunny weather, as are the folks at Wimbledon which I was watching this morning. But of course things change very quickly in England, as you know.Talk to you soon. Stomp

Hi Stomp! With a name like that you should certainly come to Languedoc for grape harvest. You'd be in such demand that you'd probably have to cancel The Stackettes Eurpean Tour, 2013! Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hi Pat, It's so great to hear from you!! I'm glad to hear that you are about to have a wonderful holiday, jealous, but glad for you. Dermot and Jake and I had the pleasure of a trip to France about 5 years ago. We were in the Languedoc in a lovely town called Pezanas. I'd go back there anytime. The house (about 300 yrs old!) was wonderful and just steps from the centre of town. 


Hi, Pat Sounds like a wonderful summer! Enjoy it. We'll try to get together in the fall. Maybe you can visit the Sunshine Coast! Matt 

Hi again, Matt! Both Cora Lee and I would dearly love to visit the Sunshine Coast. WE have a close friend in Powell River and perhaps we can dovetail a visit to both places. And arrange to see Gary and Di as well. Enjoy the current sunshine on The Sunshine  Coast! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Gary and Di are in Ireland for the whole months of July and August. I am in charge of their lovely dog, Anna, while they are gone. If you think you can or plan on getting to Ireland (County Cavan) this summer, let me know and I can put you in touch! But for sure we will hold you to a visit here next fall! Take care Matt 

Hi Matt! Thanks for update on D/G! Would love to try and connect in Ireland but our itinerary simply won't allow a side trip to Ireland at this time. This being the case look forward to a reunion in the Fall. For now, please pass along our regards to them both. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
[After most people eat asparagus, their urine becomes potentially odorous due to the presence of a compound which passes through the body. But not everyone can detect the odor. According to one study, only about 10% could detect the asparagus even if the urine was "highly diluted," suggesting that a chromosome unique to that group was responsible for this ability. Wikipedia states that "only about 22% of the population have the autosomal genes required" to detect the smell.]

July 10th sounds ominous - are you by chance speaking of a birthday ending in a zero? Yes, I am still biking. It's been so long that we've spoken or emailed that I can't remember if you know that I did the Whistler Gran Fondo in September 2011. I celebrated a birthday ending in a zero (50 - ack) and wanted to something big. So I rode 120kms to Whistler!! I succeeded and have been doing other long rides since. I've done the Ride to Conquer Cancer twice, and will do the Whister Fondo again this September. Also, I did the Canada Day Populare - 146 kms for Canada's 146th Birthday. It was difficult but I did it! Are you biking? Looking fine in your black lycra?! Thanks getting in touch, Sara

Hi Iron Woman!

I'm sorry that I contacted you as your cycling efforts make me wonder why you aren't in the Tour de France! Bravo indeed! I'm most impressed. Yes, I am cycling, but No, not in Lycra, much to The Fashion Police's' disgruntlement! They despair that I keep all the great cycling gear I receive from them for presents, birthdays, Christmas, etc., (No, D Day stands for Departure Day. I turned 65 last December so I have a bit of wriggle room until next birthday ending in "0"!), claiming they are too good to wear! I use my old squash T-shirts until they literally tear them off my back to use for rags!



Last year I bought a Trek Madone, carbon fibre, and couldn't be happier. It has allowed me, with incremental distances, to be able to ride 100K quite comfortably, at least for me. Longest ride I've managed is 160 K over in Parksville. I have wanted to do the Gran Fondo out of Penticton and used the ride mentioned to see if I could do that distance. Have only ridden from Squamish back to Vancouver, once, but would dearly love to do the Whistler Gran Fondo as well. I'll be thinking of you when I'm sipping wine in Languedoc. Place I've rented is in Neffiès, only about 20 minutes, by car, from Pézenas. I plan to ride to latter to go to market with my panniers.

Speaking of such, I'm buying a foldable road bike, (Montague Navigator), in York, as I plan to ride everywhere, except London. Relatively easy to carry in rental cars and on trains, (Eurostar and TGV in France). Will leave it with friends outside of Lyon as we hope to do more traveling in Europe over next few years.

Buona Fortuna with Gran Fondo in September. I'd love to ride with you once back in October so keep in touch. Looking forward to drafting behind you, Wonder Woman!  Hello to Dermot and Jake. Cheers, Patrizzio!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment