Monday 8 July 2013

Pre-Departure Blues: Monday, July 8th


It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards. -Lewis Carroll, mathematician and writer (1832-1898) 

Exhausted Kitten!

Hi Elaine and Dick!

Trust you are both well. Absolutely wonderful to have seen you at the the IB Reunion! Sorry that it has taken me so long to send along these snaps.

Not sure, as of this writing, but we have been invited to stay with close friends in Florida, (Not sure where in state as it was just mentioned in passing, a week or so ago.), this coming January/February so if that trip happens, I'll certainly be in touch about visiting you in Sarasota! In any event, we plan to be back in Winnipeg to celebrate Corinne's parent' 68th wedding anniversary, next July/August so perhaps we can connect there if not sooner.


All the best to you from Cora Lee. Keep in touch. Cheers, Patrizzio!




Marvinator's court babies!
Hi Dick!

I believe the email address on the card you passed along to me is missing a "c" in the name. Hence, first message was undeliverable! Nice try! You always cheated  in handball so I'm not surprised that you'd do the same with digital media! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Warren!

Trust you are well. Absolutely wonderful to have seen you at the the IB Reunion! Sorry that it has taken
me so long to send along these snaps.
We hope to travel as far as Toronto next summer so perhaps we can arrange to stop by and say hello, if things work for everyone. All the best. Keep in touch. Cheers, Patrizzio!

  • Hi Dany! 
    Congratulations on your more than wonderful trip. I'm delighted I had the opportunity to meet you at the very start of your incredible journey. We leave Vancouver on Wednesday for London. Hope I'll be able to post some pics of my rides in Yorkshire, Cornwall and Languedoc as summer continues. All the best with the rest of your holiday. Cheers, Patrizzio!
Hi Bill, Roger and Don!

Trust all goes well.  Absolutely wonderful to have seen everyone at the the IB Reunion!
We plan to be back in Winnipeg to celebrate Corinne's parent's 68th wedding anniversary, next July/August, so perhaps we can connect with Winnipeggers then. Hope to go as far as Toronto as well, on same trip, so would be grand to pop by and see you and family, Bill, if everyone's schedules allow.

 

All the best to one and all. Keep in touch. Cheers, Patrizzio!

PS: Bill, please send these along to Ricardo. Thanks! 


Hi Gail via Ian via Lynne!

Trust everyone is well. Sorry we weren't able to connect at the IB reunion, Gail.

All the best to one and all. Keep in touch. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Gail via Ian via Lynne! Trust everyone is well. Sorry we weren't able to connect at the IB reunion, Gail. I apologize, as well, for taking so long to send along these snaps. Busy times here, (I'm sure we are not alone in this!), but starting to feel the pinch now since Father Time's clock is tick, tick, ticking away and 10th of July, D-Day, Departure Day, is approaching with alarming speed! We fly to London, then train to Yorkshire, then rental car to Cornwall, for the month of August, (house exchange), then Eurostar/TGV to Languedoc, (rented a house for September), then two weeks on the Canal du Midi with three other couples on a canal barge. Not home until October 19th, just in time to volunteer for the Vancouver Writers Fest!


All the best to one and all. Keep in touch. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Jill! Trust you are well. Best wishes from Cora Lee. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Derek!

I tried the link yesterday and site was busy or some such. Just clicked on it a few minutes ago and Eureka! What a wonderful display/record! One small ride for a Cornwallian, a quantum leap for cyclists everywhere! I'll have to inquire about such and odometre now. (Must keep up with the Seymours, don't you know! As if I don't already have enough expenses! Thanks, Derek! I'm turning into the Sisterhood! Spend! Spend! Spend) Since I am planning to buy something for the Montague I might as well have something that will impress friends and relatives when I ride over the Tour route when in Languedoc!
 

Will have to be sure I don't send them rides such as your test one, however. I noticed that the "latte/lunch" stop, (Did you stay overnight?), was over four hours long while ride itself was 1:43:43! Think I'll start calling you Ragin' Bull! He'll want to go riding with you when you are here, for sure now! I'm almost ashamed to pass along my latest official stats. 

Had our Non Readers Book Club here last night. We sat out on the patio and had a wonderful discussion of Indian Horse by Richard Wagamese. Tells the story of young child torn from his family and sent to a Residential School, a practice all too common in Canada in the '50's and '60's, with terrible, catastrophic results, as you can imagine or have even heard about.  I found the novel very, very powerful and moving. Much of it is set in and around Kenora, not all that far from where Cora Lee's parents live so I know the area reasonably well. Wagamese is an Ojibway from Wabaseemong First Nation in northwestern Ontario.You are more than welcome to read it while here so feel free to pick up anything that catches your fancy from our book shelves.



Glad that you are happy to stay on as Caretakers of The Islay Inn for rest of your visit. Thanks for offering to help with hydro bill but we are simply pleased that there will be someone here. (Now that I think about it, perhaps I'll send bill for most expensive odometre to Cornwall!) I'll get you back when I come over next year to be part of Tour and ride from London to Paris!

Have included a snap of Whirlygig and Vittorio, (Young lad is off to Library School in January. We were both volunteers at the Vancouver Film Festival and although he is a qualified lawyer he wasn't interested in practicing. I suggested he might try Librarianship and that is what he has decided to do.) Other one shows Christine, lovely woman who will be staying in our place once we leave and before you arrive. Know her by chance, more than anything, as mother of a friend of Chloë's from GIB, knows her and knew she needed a place to stay as she was just transferred to Vancouver from Prince George. She actually moved into Annexe ahead of time, last week, as she didn't like where she was staying although she had already paid for a week. You can blame missing malt on her: "Cabinet was half empty when we arrived!"



Must run as scads of errands/chores to do. Still optimistic that I'll make flight, at least at this point! Cheers, Patrizzio "Green with Envy over Cylemeter" Dunn! 

Hi Lads!

Dipsy Doodling, the next wave! Let me know if a ride works sometime this afternoon. I can hardly wait to be able to say, "I am tethered to my suitcase and watering can but otherwise would love to join the peloton!" Cheers, Patrizzio, starting to move towards the
Sisterhood's camp!

Hi Dottore!

Have a wonderful time in Croatia. Not been to that part of country but would like to do so at some point, if possible. Take notes! Fond wishes from Cora Lee. Cheers, Patrizzio 


Hola Señora!

Great snap! How was bash? We had dinner with Chloë this past Friday night at a place which used to be a Mexican restaurant, Pepito's. I knew I recognized Mike from somewhere! Fond wishes from Cora Lee. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Dana! Thanks for sending along your phone number. We leave London, by train, on July 17th. Then to Lake District for July 21st/22nd. Will be in and around Wetherby, where we are actually staying, for rest of visit in Yorkshire. Will call or email once we are with friends there and have a better idea of how time will unfold. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Rae!

How is The Simi Valley Devil Cat? Hope he is recovering, (from what?), nicely. Fondetos and Cheers, Patrizzio!



Lads,



I have to take the Deli to New West for midday and should be home mid-afternoon if anyone wants to ride at that time. G


Hi Sandwich Man and Constant Gardner! There are plenty of Greek delis in Kits. You needn't go all the way to New West for tofu souvlaki. Too, too much malt last night, not enough kale, at the NRBC methinks, Osricsternkranz! Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Good morning, lovely pictures, thanks for sharing.  I've eaten there for
lunch and agree, it's wonderful food.  Not as good as the Island Inn however!!Tonight is Strata council meeting at my house!!  Will check in on you
before you leave, good luck packing!!


Hi JT! Thanks for good wishes for packing. Are you sending me packing? Buona Fortuna with Strata! Cheers, Trizzo! 

Hi Kristine, et al! Should I pass along your email to Giggster as he is unofficial Secretary of Non Readers Book Club? Cheers, Patrizzio 

Hello Duhlink! Thought that you'd appreciate these! Your Love Slave, Patrizzio! 

Is he really going to library school??? wow he must really look up to you!!!
that's great! see you tonight!! Is the lady with mom the one that's staying at your place??


Hi Chloë! Yes, embarassingly, I seem to be Vittorio's idol! Yes, Kristine is next door until we leave. She seems very friendly so you should give her a call sometime, especially if you are planning o have lunch at the Annexe when working your GIB shifts! She might need to ask questions about The Island Inn as well.

Not sure if you received my message about a ride to C's/G's to see Noreen tomorrow. If you can call me before I leave for your place I can let Colin know about when we might arrive.

Love, Dad!


Hi Pat, I am wondering if you could send me Michelle Sutherland's phone#, and email? I am wondering if she is going to the Folk Festival this year and if so perhaps we can  meet up. Thx. Sylvia

Hi Sylvia: As you can see, I've included Flamin' on this message so you can contact her about which phone number is best. Probably see you domani when I drop off my bike tomorrow. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hi Dana!

I think we are staying in Keswick at a hotel our friends have stayed in before. Not sure of the name but we are there for two nights, 21st and 22nd, back to Wetherby on the 23rd. Sorry, I can't remember where you live. Let me know and I can plot out a route from York. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Lads, Looks like I am stuck out in New West for a while. How about an early morning ride? G

How early, George? TCG 
Hi Laddage!

I could probably squeeze in, and would very much like to do so, an up-and-over if we left Heartbreak Terrace around 8:00ish. If this doesn't work, go ahead on your own.

Hoisterman, I have two paddles and an assortment of other odds and ends waiting here and you can pick them up at the end of the ride or I can leave such oddments on the patio if you would like to attempt clambering around The Big Yellow Fence, at some point!



Raymond, I'll let you know about Madone Trek drop-off tomorrow, depending on what happens with respect to ride, etc.

Talk later. Cheers, Patrizzio! 


I can ride as early as you are willing. G

Hi Lads!
A 7:30am start at HBT would be grand! Somewhat flexible but let me know. Cheers, Patrizzio!


I'll try and get out of bed early enough but if there is no sign of me at the appointed hour, just carry on. Ray

Hi Patricio, We’ve had our own Tour activity here, with the great Granfondo rider Eduardo of Isle de Bowen in residence.  He got his revenge on the course yesterday, taking advantage of a cooler day to finish the ride in 7 hours 22 minutes.  Eduardo says that his life’s ambitions are pretty well fulfilled, but doesn’t contemplate retirement from the sport yet.  Lynne has been providing lots of good calories for all of us during Eduardo and Debbie’s visit.


I haven’t had much time for tour watching, other than last Monday when we were at sister Mary’s where brother-in-law Peter had it on the telly.  Very exciting stuff ofr sure and amazing scenery.  

My TV watching has been focussed on Wimbledon, which had great outcomes with Marion Bartoli and Andy Murray coming out on top.  I’ve also been busy with golf – last Friday at the Princeton Sr. Mens Open, where I missed my chance to be in the money by choking to a 9 on my final hole after a pretty solid round up to that point.



This morning I had an e-mail from my client in Lima that my planned trip tomorrow is postponed to some unknown future date, which is fine with me as the grapes are needing a serious pruning. 



Best of luck with your packing and bon voyage.  We’re looking forward to your terse, condensed comments on the trip highlights over the next three months. 

Cheers, Peter
Hi Lads and Lass!

Congratulations Eduardo! wonderful, wonderful ride! Well done! Bravo! Bravo! Bravo! Given your stellar showing, you might be interested in Dipsy Doodling, the next wave! Here endeth the terse, condensed comments about yesterday! Cheers, Patrizzio, starting to move towards the Sisterhood's camp! In fact, Coriandre is polishing my credit cards for me, as I scribe!! Cheers, Patrizzio!

when is Oliver coming to your place??

He's staying with you and Maggie all summer Chloe! !! Poppa told him it was ok!!                          well at least Mags will have company during the day!!


Hi Goils!

Olivetti is staying on the patio in the sleeping bag he didn't have dry-cleaned last time he was here! Problem for him will be that the baby skunks in the area will think he is a cousin as the bag is pretty high by now, with 20+ years of fermentage! Mean Streets!!! Maybe you should send Maggs back to keep him warm, Chloë! Love and Cheers, Dad/Patrizzio!

Bash brilliant apart from me having choking fit,  couldn't breathe then puking on carols patio! See u both on Thurs - keys in black bin x

Hello Darling! So glad you survived! How much was bill for having piano power-washed and then re-tuned! I guess Carol won't be coming to Languedoc for fear of a repeat performance! I'll ask Cora Lee to reach into black bin, gingerly and carefully, when looking for house keys as one never knows what one might find, given your propensity for gin! Guess your girls will have a story to counter one you are fond of telling about Christmas Eve and their similar behaviour! Cheers, Patrizzio! 
Hi Patrick,

Wow! Your travel plans sound very exciting ... I would say I'm envious, except that Linda and I just had our own travel adventure (Japan and Palau for hiking / diving). Okay, I'm envious anyway!

Work is ticking along here at VCC. Nicely slow in the summer, but already looking busy with research classes in early September. Oh well, busy is good in the library world ... 'don't want to appear expendable.

The biking has been mostly limited to commuting, although my 70-year-old neighbour insisted on Friday that I ride the Cypress climb (from the West Van works yard) with him. He's training for the Whistler Gran Fondo, so I obliged.

Much of my recreational activity in the summer is devoted to paragliding; Saturday had me flying Grouse in what turned out to be a wonderful excursion to Crown Mtn. I have a very short, unedited video of a portion of the flight on Youtube, if you're interested in experiencing the flavour of this passion of mine (http://youtu.be/hvEJ39xSltY). Looking forward to hearing more about your upcoming adventures! Cheers, Bill N. 


Hi Titanium Man!

Wow! I'm impressed with everything from Cypress climb to paragliding! Given your propensity for extremes you might be interested in Dipsy Doodling. My riding mates rib me about my propensity for this. Great to re-connect. BE CAREFUL! All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!



Dunners, Thanks Big Guy for your generous donation to Autism Speaks Canada on behalf of my son Patrick (your namesake!). We really appreciate your support. How are you, Cora lee and Chloe doing? It has been a long time. I am still playing doubles three times a week - still fun and the beer tastes pretty good for sure. Cheers, Covey

Hi Pepperoni! Great to hear all goes so well. Busy time here. Cora Lee sends fond wishes to one and all, as do I, especially to my namesake! Cheers, Il Conduttore!!!

Hi Kids!

Sorry, I don't know where time has gone! Meant to call BUT.......... Life is a Three Ring Circus at the moment!!!
Still optimistic that I'll make flight, at least at this point! Cora Lee sends fond wishes to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!!!

Pakistani Pile Driver

 

The recent, horrible and tragic building collapses in South Asia have already resulted in the adoption of new building construction standards and practices ... in a regulatory effort to ensure this type of disaster never again occurs.

Only a month after more than 1,100 Bangladeshi garment workers lost their lives in the collapse of a badly-built and poorly-maintained eight - story building, the new building code has - thankfully - gone into force ... and its rigid practices are already being applied by highly-skilled and properly-trained construction teams labouring on job-sites all across the sub-continent.


Especially for those of you with some construction work in your background I give you this New South-Asian construction process

No comments:

Post a Comment