Tuesday 2 July 2013

Pre-Departure Blues: Tuesday, July 2nd

I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes. It involves Russia. -Woody Allen, author, actor (b. 1935) 

Scullion:

1. A kitchen servant who does menial work.
2. A low or contemptible person.

[Middle English sculyon, probably from Old French escouvillon, dishcloth, diminutive of escouve, broom, from Latin scopa, branches, broom.]

"The old cook enraged,
The scullion gone wild."
W.B. Yeats; The Wild Swans at Coole; 1919.


http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/tour-de-france/10145901/Tour-de-France-2013-interactive-stage-guide.html



Finally got my books from amazon!


  • Patrick James Dunn How many for your nose, now that you are on the road to gettin' hitched? Re-Engineering the Beta, Marvinator. Wrong title!!!
Hi Patrick

Just spoken to Evans Cycles about status of bikes. The 21 inch is in store and they are expecting the other on July 7. They have agreed to stage the bikes on the 16th for you to trial them on July 17 at 10.30. Hope this is OK by you. Depending on weather and how you feel we can ride back with Chris and Corinne driving back perhaps with a stop in York or the Designer shopping outlet on way back. Will you be coming up in your Lycra?
 

Laura and Ed will have moved into Harrogate by the time you arrive so we hope you will see them. Ed's degree ceremony is on the 16 July. Our garage is filling up again with their things.

Rain stopped play at Wimbledon and may also dissuade me from a training ride.
Hope your preparations are all in place. Jim


Hello Montague Man! Thanks ever so much for being my "domestique" with respect to Evans and all the arrangements regarding the Full Two Montys! Much appreciated since you seem to be drawn to Wimbledon as opposed to picking up riding tips by following the Tour de France! 

I have managed to watch two of the three days in Corsica and feel that after riding with you in Yorkshire, I'll be able to qualify next year! What incredible scenery and the riders make the incredible effort of the pace, whether on the flats, ascents or descents seem like a mere cycle in the park. Managed to watch the finish of yesterday's last stage in Corsica after our 3rd Annual Harbour Terrace Canada Day BBQ, 3:00 pm-7:00 pm, on the verge, (teetering on the edge), outside Clan Sutherlands' place, east side of our building. Was simply fascinating to watch the strategy of the teams within the peloton as they "devoured" the breakaway riders to launch a sprint to the finish which required a photo finish! This is usually the scenario which unfolds between Ragin' Bull and Robo Man at the latte stops to see who can order the first cappuccino!


Anyway, Sir James, OYE, (Order of the Yorkshire Empire!), thank you again for all your efforts on my behalf. Sounds terrific about timing for test ride, etc. I will probably be sleeping in my lycra, once we leave Vancouver, so I would enjoy a ride back from train station if it is not too, too much trouble with bikes, driving, etc. While I will have a helmet, etc., I'm not sure what sort of pedals you use. I am bringing my clip-ons but will have a pair of sneakers as well, mainly for rambling the Dales and beach walking/cliff scaling in Cornwall! We can simply play it by ear, depending on weather, The Sisterhoods' desire for a Designer Shopping spree and the like! We could always go for a ride once we are back at your place, if that suits. I'll let you decide.
 

Look forward to meeting Laura and Ed. Congratulations to Ed on his degree. Since we are bringing a container full of things we needed to remove from our place at Harbour Terrace, to make room for house exchange, we are both a bit dismayed to hear that your garge is already full! Do you think Evans might have a large warehouse? Preparations are in place, plenty of plans and lists but not much action on my part.

However Cora Lee has started the process of packing-repacking so she is further along than I had hoped to be by this time. Maggie has been quite helpful, nestling down in her open bag, squashing the heaped garments to make room for more! Theoretically, I know exactly what I'm planning to take but just need the time and motivation to pack. That usually surfaces about three hours before we need to be at the airport! I really do need a domestique at this stage! 

Speaking of cycling, went for one of the most enjoyable rides I've had since the onset of the glorious weather. Sarge and I headed out to UBC, (Robo Ray claimed he was In the midst of house painting and needed "to use the cooler, earlier hours, unfortunately!", while Whirlygig was spending the day at the beach, sipping beer instead of lattes!), so  we left Heartbreak Terrace at 8:30 am and made our way out to UBC, along Spanish Banks and then on to Marine Drive. Fairly quiet at this time of the morning so we were soon over the Arthur laing Bridge and making for Iona. Head wind wasn't all that strong and we were able to cruise along at between 21-22 KPH. Quite pleased as I thought it would have been fairly hard slogging, based on what we'd encountered in more sheltered spots.

Once at Iona we turned around and made for the Cambie Sky Train Bridge. Sarge wanted to be home by 11:30 am or so and by then it was 10:45 am. Consequently headed up Cambie, making for home, while I continued along Kent to Boundary and then into the Glenlyon Industrial Park. 


Passed a couple and they asked me if I knew how to get to New Westminster from there. Since I was planning to head over the Queensborough Bridge anyway, I suggested they follow me along N Fraser Way to Marine Way which turns into Stewardson Way with a dedicated bike path all the way to Lonsdale Quay in NW. Waved goodbye to Peter, (originally from London), and his wife, Laurie, (Canadian), both from Kits, not all that far from us, as I headed over bridge to make my way along River Road all the way back to CSTB. Head wind, at this time, was very strong so I really had to work with nobody to draft behind!


Once over bridge I had almost exactly 80 K on the clock so continued eastward, along Kent, again, for another 5 K to give me 91 K by the time I was making my way up Cambie. Timed all the lights so that I avoided the dreaded "Burning Earth" Syndrome and when I crossed Broadway, dipsy doodled my way to Ontario, a dedicated bike route, to take me to Olympic Village.
 Thence, pretty smooth sailing, in spite of having to tack into the unrelenting head wind and soon I was in the safe harbour of Harbour Terrace with 101.3 K over 4:38:00, AVG 21.* KPH, MAX 52.7 KPH. Pleased as punch with ride and the delightful weather. Actually,  a bit of cloud cover for about half of distance covered so not scorchingly hot. My malt filled camel pack kept me nicely hydrated so no cramps!

Cora Lee sends her best wishes to you and Christine and is busy polishing her credit cards until they gleam, even in the dark!  Time to run a number of trip related errands so must away. Cheers, Patrizzio!
                      


Hi Derek! Thanks for stunning pictures of St Michaels Mount. Can hardly wait to see it ourselves! I think talk on local wild flowers would be fascinating. Wish I knew more about flora and fauna and birds and geology and astronomy but guess I'll have to settle for malt! 

I am always so impressed, (and grateful), to be in the company of individuals who can identify this or that, in a given landscape or night sky.  As you mention, clock is tick, tick, ticking away as 10th approaches at alarming speed!

Cora Lee sends her best wishes to you and Gayle. Cheers, Patrizzio!

PS: Before I forget, I meant to say that I will leave a list here, (as well as bring along a copy, to go over with you in Cornwall), of "things" about our place so that you will know where to look for laundry soap, light bulbs, etc. Of course you can ask Chloë about "stuff" but your coffee might grow cold while you are wondering where the sugar is kept. Will include which bicycle keys go with which bike, etc., as well as the phone numbers for a few friends you might like to ride with and/or socialize with, time and inclination allowing, as you see fit.
Pics: Yesterday's BBQ! Cora Lee; Sarge in front of Newfoundland flag; action shot from hotly contested, power bocce tournament; winners, Patrizzio and Cyrus, with Canadian flag in pocket, over Laura and Phillipo, former champions; cake for dessert! 


 Pics: Yesterday's BBQ! Cora Lee holding court; Sarge in front of Newfoundland flag; action shot from hotly contested, power bocce tournament; winners, Patrizzio and Cyrus, with Canadian flag in pocket, over Laura and Phillipo, former champions; cake for dessert! 

Hi TNT! Sorry that it has taken me so long to respond to your last message but we have had a flurry of visitors and social engagements this past week. Your email arrived on Tuesday, June 25th and Peter and Lynne, (friends from Naramata), hit town the following day, to stay for two nights.

After they left on Friday morn I cycled up to the bank on 4th to collect the €1000, (I already had €250 to cover deposit but decided I'd pay for everything and then not have to worry about that expense.), I had ordered to pay for month at Beau Soleil and then Whirlygig and I rode out to UBC. We cycled along MD and through part of Musqueam to do Camosun/Imperial Loop. Back along MD to take Chancellor BLVD where we wved goodbye at Blanca, he to head down 4th and home, while I made for 16th. 

Did a quick detour, back through UBC and then onto 16th once again to do a mini-Imperial Loop, ending up on the corner of 25th and Highbury, (Simon and Dina Collins, owners of Beau Soleil, live here.), with 53.5 K over 3:10:04, AVG 20.2 KPH, MAX 55.3 KPH, on the official odometre! Had cycled through a radar trap on 16th and as I passed the motorcycle police officers, hiding behind a tree trunk, one of them smiled at me and called out, "31 K on the flat!" Technically, he could have issued me a ticket for exceeding 30 K speed limit in a School Zone so I said, "Thanks!" and belted off before he could change his mind!


Knocked on door and after we introduced ourselves, first thing he said was that he had just received an email from Christina and Trevor Tassell! My jaw almost hit the patio as I stammered, incredulously, "Do you know TNT too?" After a few moments, I pieced sequence of events together but at first I was quite discombobulated! Simon and I had a chuckle and I vouched for your sterling character should you decide to rent place, at some point.

For our part, we will need to look carefully at timing as we, (along with Chloë, and The Tinsel Towners), are off to Mexico for Nicolina's wedding in May. Furthermore, Lynne and Peter have invited us to Florida, after Christmas, as they have rented a house for January/February. Furthermore, The Millionaires have asked us to house/cat sit in January so we need to figure out timing, for all of the above, and, more importantly, finances! At any rtae, let us know what dates you might have in mind and we'll se what might work. Must say, I'm quite looking forward to staying in Languedoc and at Beau Soleil. Looks and sounds, (from various reports of people who just returned from staying there), like quite a find.

After paying Simon and wishing him Bon Voyage, (He and Dina were flying to Paris on Sunday, for a few days, before driving south to Beau Soleil for a month or so.), I cycled home. What with "errand ride" to bank, (on Brodie),
8.31 K, added to odometre reading upon arrival at The Heartache Hotel, 64.1 K, I managed to chalk up a GRAND TOTAL of 72.41 K so pleased with outing.




Cora Lee sends her best wishes to you and Teens. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi again, Trevor!

Forgot to say how our hearts ached for your Dad, and you of course, over his understandable tears and distress.

On a much lighter note, I simply loved your Official Wheelbarrow stats. Incredible numbers given that you didn't need to resort to any malingering, dispsy-doodling either! There's a yellow jersey in there somewhere! Cheers, Patrizzio! 


Hi Sally and Filmer, The Truly De-Nested Ones!

Sorry that it has taken me so long to respond to your last message but we have had a flurry of visitors and social engagements this past week, although it has been busy for last month or so. To my regret, haven't had time to look fro Travis and his travels on Facebook. Trust all goes well with him and Guinness! Cora Lee sends her best wishes to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Simone! Sorry that it has taken me so long to respond to your last message but we have had a flurry of visitors and social engagements this past week, although it has been busy for last month or so. To my regret, I missed sending a card or wishing Aunt Mary Happy 100th Birthday!


Know that you and Ron have a difficult relationship, to say the least, but am pleased to learn that he was able to arrange what sounded like a lovely celebration for her. Trust all goes well, as well as can be expected, at this stage, with her. Please pass along our fond regards. I do plan to send along a card. Not complaining but one of myriad things I have to do before we leave.
 



Cora Lee sends her best wishes to you. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Raymond! Thanks very much for the link to the Tour. What a great overview! Just what I wanted, all in one place. Much appreciated. Quite enjoyed Team Trials tonight. Nice looked fantastic. What a countryside. Looking forward to watching when route is closer to Languedoc as well. However, I need someone like you or Sarge to watch with as I don't really have the foggiest about strategy, how points are awarded, etc. Still fascinating to see how race unfolds.


Starting to feel the pinch now since Father time's clock is tick, tick, ticking away and 10th of July, D Day, is approaching with alarming speed! Cora Lee sends her best wishes to you and Sylvia. Talk tomorrow morning. I'm reasonably flexible about time so if you see an opportunity I'm happy to accommodate. If we can't connect for a ride, Buona Fortuna with deck staining/painting! Cheers, Patrizzio! PS: Latest word from Jim is that Montys are going to be ready by July 16th so am pleased about that, of course. Jim, as you know, has really been terrific about dealing with Evans.

PPS: Much as I'd love to read Solea I know I simply won't have time. I'm almost finished Beggar's Opera, by Peggy Blair, a Canadian, quite an interesting murder/mystery set in Havana with a dectective from Ontario, on holiday, as suspect in the murder of a young boy. Then I need to polish off Indian Horse by Richard Wagamese, our next selection for the NRBC this coming Sunday! Maybe I could take Solea to read on the plane and ask one of the flight attendants to return it!


Hi Matt! Sorry I've not replied sooner but starting to feel the pinch now since Father Time's clock is tick, tick, ticking away and 10th of July, D Day, is approaching with alarming speed! We fly to London, then Yorkshire, then Cornwall for the month of August, (house exchange), then Languedoc, (rented a house for September), then two weeks on the Canal du Midi with three other couples on a canal barge. Not home until October 19th, just in time to volunteer for the Vancouver Writers Fest! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Allan! This year's DCM was a blast! Much to tell but will have to wait. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Ann! Thanks again for simply wonderful reception at US Consul General's gorgeous home! Corinne and our two friends found the event at Freddy Wood a wonderful evening as well. Cheers, Patrizzio!  

Hi Tracey! Thank you for sending along some hints. I must admit I've not had a chance to look into the matter but will do so as soon as I've packed my bags! Do appreciate you taking the time and effort to help. All the best with your tiles! Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hi Bernice! Sorry I've not replied sooner. Trust you are well. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi McGillicutty! Trust you are well. Are you still biking? Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Christina! Trust you are well. Bike out to UBC quite often and am dazzled by Main Mall!  Cheers, Patrizzio!



P, Hope your celebrations were festive lasterday. The beach was smokin hot. All one could do was drink and swim. It was exhausting. I finished Solea, the book that Ray kindly loaned me, and can drop it by. It is a library copy so let me know if your reading card is full. I have squash today and Thursday and the MT is my task mistress for the week so I will have to work around her operatives. W
 
Hi GiggsterLollyenheimer! Trust squash went well and your sunburn wasn't too, too itchy! Have you been watching any of the Tour coverage? 

Cora Lee sends her best wishes to you and your Sisterhood. Talk tomorrow morning. I'm reasonably flexible about time so if you see an opportunity I'm happy to accommodate. If we can't connect for a ride, Buona Fortuna with parenting duties! Cheers, Patrizzio!




 Our next gathering is this Sunday, 7th of July, at the Islay Inn. The book is Indian Horse by Richard Wagamis (George). 

Kurt has chosen Nabokov’s  Pnin  to follow the Wagamis. Victor has chosen Blood's a Rover by James Ellroy to follow the Nabokov. G

Sorry for late reply, but it's been pretty hectic after Jane arrived on June 19.
First week was spent at the cabin where Anna and Bodil joined us after a couple of days. Lazy days, day trips, and a football game as the peak. 

We came back to Akalla last Wednesday, primarily for a visit to Tomas (former national librarian, -2003) and his wife's on their maginificent estate (well, big house by the water) outside Stockholm. During the last few days we have developed a keen interest in antiques, auctions, and flea markets, primarily brought on by Tomas, who has been a collector for quite some time.


You are more or less correctly informed about my health. The start of my tests was a bit shaky (blood pressure, PSA), but it sorted itself out in the end, it seems. 

 Of course, you can never be sure about anything in this context.


Jane is going back, by way of England, next Tuesday. For the fall, my preliminary travel plan is to go back to Vancouver late August, for two or three months, with Jane working continuously. Unfortunately, it doesn't leave much room for a trip to France, however nice it would have been. We shall have to accelerate our traveling pretty soon. I'm getting restless about it. Bestestos, and fondestos, Kjell     
  
The Sicilian Mafia got its start in America in New Orleans in the mid-1800s. That same Mafia got a boost in Italy from the Americans in 1943:

"The first that America heard of what it would later call the Mafia was in newspaper accounts of certain events in New Orleans. In the spring of 1869, the Times of that city noted that the Second District had become infested by 'well-known and notorious Sicilian murderers, counterfeiters and burglars, who, in the last month, have formed a sort of general co-partnership or stock company for the plunder and disturbance of the city.' Emigration from southern Italy then was still largely to Brazil and the Argentine; New Orleans, with its busy port traffic to and from South America, was a natural destination for Sicilians, among them the mafiosi whose presence became known in 1869.


"The Mafia was, and is, una cosa puramente siciliana, a purely Sicilian thing; and even in Sicily it was never a concerted, homogeneous force. One cosca might do business or conspire with another, but even when marriage brought them together they remained leery and covetous. They coexisted, but they did so da lontano, at a distance. Whenever that lontananza was breached, it was more often in hostility than in harmony. And as much as these men distrusted one another, so much greater was their animosity for outsiders. The purely Sicilian nature of the Mafia was sacrosanct. This idea of Sicilian purity -- part Greek, part African, part Italian, part French, part Spanish: no matter; the Sicilian could tell an outsider at a glance -- was ingrained as deeply as greed in the nature of the Mafia. 


A cosca's business might extend to the Italian mainland, to the cities of the world beyond. But men who were not Sicilians would never be part of that cosca; they would never be mafiosi. It was a matter of blood pride; and a similar sense of exclusivity, superiority, and natural enmity governed the black forces to the north, the Camorra of the Campagna, the 'ndrangheta of Calabria.
 


"Mussolini was the only man who succeeded in driving down the Mafia in Sicily. In 1926, when the first laws against the Mafia were decreed, sixty-four-year-old Don Vito Cascio Ferro of Palermo, the most powerful mafioso on the island, was seized and committed to the Ucciardone prison, where he remained until his death. Conspiracy charges were brought against his successor, Don Calogero Vizzini, in 1929; and the dark forces remained subdued under Il Duce's dictatorship throughout the decade that followed. But Mussolini's dream of power came to its end in the summer of 1943, and in Sicily the Allied Military Government of Occupied Territories (AMGOT) set about its business of restoring 
order.






"Under AMGOT officers such as forty-year-old Colonel Charles Poletti, a former lieutenant governor of New York, the mafiosi who had been driven down by Mussolini's reign were placed in positions of sanctioned power. Sixty-six-year-old Don Calo Vizzini, whose indictment under Il Duce in 1929 had signified the suppression of the honored society, was in the summer of 1943 appointed mayor of his town of Villalba. 
 
He would remain the Mafia's patriarch until his death in the summer of 1954. Other honored men in other towns, victims and enemies of Fascism all, were placed by AMGOT in like positions. Poletti, the Harvard-lawyer son of northern-Italian emigrants to Vermont, was received by the pope and decorated in Rome for his work. After returning to New York in 1945, he founded his own law firm on Madison Avenue. The mercenary ease with which he moved from American law and Democratic politics to Mafia vassalage and back illustrates that the two spheres were not wholly dissimilar."

Nick Tosches, Dino: Living High in the Dirty Business of Dreams, Dell Publishing, 1992 

No comments:

Post a Comment