Sunday 7 July 2013

Pre-Departure Blues: Sunday, July 7th

Language is a form of human reason, which has its internal logic of which man knows nothing. -Claude Levi-Strauss, anthropologist (1908-2009) 

Svengali Maggster!

Hi Patrick,

Trying something new to see if it works! Have linked my cycle meter stats to email. If it works you should be able to open the link and get on the stats including map of my cycle yesterday to Trelissick. Let me know if it works! Cheers, Derek


Route: Trelissick
Ride Link: http://cyclemeter.com/ec581644a5848379/Cycle-20130706-1045?r=e



Maggie's first morning back at the Loft, she's a wee bit grumpy.

  • Ayn P Maybe she doesn't like the new flooring...
  • Patrick James Dunn She's trying to hypnotize you:" You will take me back to The Island Inn! You will take me back to The Island Inn!"


    Seal Pup Maggs!
    Hi Lads:

    Anyone interested in riding out to Iona? Let me know. I wouldn't mind leaving sooner than later but let me know what you think. Cheers, Il Conduttore!

P, looks like a great morning for a ride. Sorry I cannot join you. See you around 7 PM. Enjoy, W

Hi Lads, unfortunately i will have to miss today's gathering (second day of moving for me). Will catch up next time, Misha

please remind me again, is it 6p or 7p tonight? VL
Comrades,  I too will have to try to catch up next time.  I regret that a cold has rendered me unfit for service at the NRBC meeting this evening. I'm disappointed to miss the discussion, however brief, of Indian Horse.   GR Parallel49 Gypsy Tears Ruby Ale Fiat Justistia 

Joey!
P, Not unlike the peloton, the NRBC is rapidly dwindling. 

Dave, Kurt, Mishy, Guy,... all confirmed no-shows. 

Mark uncertain. 
Stephen beyond unlikely.
Amir undone. 

That leaves Moe, Victor. Is it something we said? WTF, W
 

Hi Lads!

The doors to the Islay Inn will be open at 7:00pm. Remember that due to construction outside our patio, access will be through front door, on 3rd Floor. (Brave souls can clamber along Big Yellow Fence to gain ingress. Two dinner invitees did just that this past Wednesday but then again, they had read the book and were eager to discuss it!) Buzz us and we'll let you in.
 

Comrade Secretary, if you bike over, call when near Heartache Terrace and I'll come to parkade to let you in. Unless you are walking/being chauffeured if Nicotino is over.

Sorry to hear about the "code in jour dose", Guy. Hope you recover quickly. Buona Fortuna with move, Kalasnikov Kid. Look for ward to seeing both of you in October or sooner if you decide to come to stay in Languedoc! Cheers, Patriizzio!                                              Hi Patrick,
 

Trying something new to see if it works! Have linked my cycle meter stats to email. If it works you should be able to open the link and get on the stats including map of my cycle yesterday to Trelissick. Let me know if it works! Cheers, Derek 

Hi Giggster!

Taken to blocking your iPhone messages? Speak for yourself regarding the peloton, mate! At 9:30 am Robo Ray and I wended our way to Iona. Head wind wasn't as bad as we thought it would be and we didn't even bother to draft on way out. I waved goodbye to the Constant Gardner once back over CSTB. He headed home via Heaher while I took Kent, making for for Boundary and Glenlyon Industriale. Did some serious dipsy doodling there to head for the Queensborough Bridge with 66 K on the clock. Wasn't looking forward to bucking the wind on River Road but as things turned out it wasn't nearly as bad as I assumed it would be, given what we had experienced earlier on way out to Iona. In fact, I think I was moving along at around 21-22 KPH for much of the way, and 24-25 KPH when trees/houses offered a modicum of shelter.
 

What a poifect day, all around, as it wasn't too, too hot making, and, paradoxically, cooling breeze was actually as pleasant as it was punishing. Made it back to CSTB with 85 K on the trusty odometre so made for River Rock and just beyond to have 91.5 K before I crossed Fraser for fourth time. Up my favourite street, Cambie, as not a solitary domestique in sight, and was able to time all the lights so that I was soon near 16th. Slight dipsy doodle right on 14th to turn around and then catch light there to cross Cambie. Once that manoeuvre was  neatly accomplished I was Home Free, down Heather, and soon hurtling along Charleson Road to pull into The Heartache Parkade with 103.2 K over 4:45:35, AVG 21.6 KPH, MAX 42.2 KPH. 



After we finish talking about Indian Head, which I found very, very powerful and moving, perhaps we can start figuring out fines to be assessed for No-Shows, etc! Loved your characterization of NRBC delinquents. Sounds like a poem by e.e. cummings! I can understand Nicotino not wanting to take any more heat about his habit but I'm not sure about the rest. More malt for us! See you in a few hours. Cheers, Trizzo! 


No comments:

Post a Comment