Tuesday 16 July 2013

MHB/Wetherby Blues: Wednesday, July 17th

You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do something about its width and depth. -H.L. Mencken, writer, editor, and critic (1880-1956) 


 Hi Derek!

Just a very short note to thank you for more stunning pictures! Your latest cycle sounds terrific and I'd certainly love to do it. We are off to York this morning and our host there, Jim Brownlee, has arranged with Evans Cycles to have the two Navigators, (19" & 21" frames), ready for me to test ride later this morning. 


Once I've decided on which bike I'd like, (and had it outfitted with a few accessories, odometre, lock, bell, etc.,), Jim and I plan to cycle to Wetherby, where they live, about half an hour away, by car, I believe, leaving our domestiques to drive the support vehicle! Perhaps I'll be able to send you my Cylemeter stats!

Spent a wonderful afternoon at Knebworth House, the historic Hertfordshire home of the Lyttons since 1490, about 30 miles from MHB, then home to enjoy a delicious steak bbq washed down with a 2011 Domaine Marquis Ravardel, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, 15% and a 2010 Jim Barry, Coonawarra/Clare Valley, Cover Drive, 14% so I slept soundly until 4:30 am this morning! Must away to wake Cora Lee as we have to catch our first train from MHB to  King's Cross at 6:00ish. Cheers, Patrizzio!

To be continued...

Penny came down to say goodbye when we left the house at just after 6:00am. No difficulty getting to station as we could pull our bags, much of the way, on the road, as opposed to over the bumpy sidewalk pavers, at that time of the morning. Caught a train 15 minutes earlier than one we had planned to take so were in King's Cross a bit more than an hour before our train too York departed. Found seats where we could watch the Departure Board and read/snacked on steak overlefts from night before.

Half an hour before scheduled departure time, 7:49am, I thought I'd ask one of the staff members at the entrance to the bank of platforms we would eventually proceed through about our tickets. Although I had been able to print out what  thought were tickets, much information was missing, indicated by random letters/symbols, although there was a bar code on each one. I assumed this would be acceptable but was told it was not and instructed to go to the Ticket Office!

Woman there informed me that I held but a confirmation for the journey but if I gave her my iPhone she could print out tickets from this confirmation message. Slightly annoyed at the presumption and necessity of having a smart phone, i told her I didn't own such a mobile. This being the case, she said I would simply have to explain situation to the guard and hope that we would not have to pay £51 each! Cora Lee started to fret as soon as I returned with the news of our plight but I remained optimistic. A few minutes later platform was announced and we proceeded to board the train. It was almost completely full but we managed to find seats right next to the luggage rack so we were soon settled in.

Few minutes later the train left the station and quite shortly thereafter the Guard, a friendly young woman came by asking passengers to produce their tickets. I showed her the sheets I had and explained the situation. She didn't seem at all fussed and simply asked for some identification. I showed her my passport and all was well.

Had about an hour's snooze once this was over as I had been up at 4:30am after going to bed about 1:00am. When I woke up I started to chat with chap, Clive, in seat across the aisle. I noticed he was reading a Jo Nesbø novel so we talked about various other writers we both enjoyed and before we knew it the train was slowing to stop at York.  

Chris and Jim met us at the York train station at just before 10:00 am and we went directly to Evans Cycles where the two Navigators, 19" & 21" frames, were waiting to be test ridden. I took both for a short spin and immediately settled on the 21" frame. The Sisterhood waited, patiently, until I had made my choice of steeds and then left to power shop. Jim waited ever so patiently while I selected above-mentioned Garmin, All Condition Armadillos, Louis Garneau, spiffy red helmet, Shimano M520 pedals, (no collapsible ones in stock), de-greaser, oil and a RaceRocket, mini-pump, magenta, causing much consternation with the Fashion Police as it apparently clashes with the shade of red of helmet!
 


Jim and I walked over to a nearbye Sainsbury for a java, (James polished off a croissant as well), while bike was being worked on and when we were back at Evans the Navigator was pawning the ground, eager to be off. Making for Wetherby, we cycled through the centre of York and it was a bit disconcerting for me, riding on a different side of road, getting used to new clips, dodging traffic, etc. Anyway, it was a wonderful, wonderful ride. Unfortunately, cannot be logged as an official ride as I think I touched the Burning Ground more times over the course of the ride than I'd done since owning the Madone!

Home to find the Babes luxuriating in the garden in the glorious sunshine. After putting away our bikes and stowing our riding gear, (Jim does not wear a helmet and I continue to chide him about this. In the same category as FeldWrath's self-destructive nicotine habit!), I took our suitcases upstairs and started to unpack those items of clothing I'd need for stay here at Oakhill House. That done I showered and changed then took a look at my email while rest of gang readied themselves to go out.

Jim had booked a table at the Wetherby Golf Course where he holds a Social Membership. We strolled the few blocks to the Club and enjoyed a drink on the patio overlooking the course. It was another wonderfully warm evening and the pint of Black Sheep Bitter I decided upon went down extremely easily! Our table was ready before we had finished our drinks so we carried them to our table and delighted in the pork roast plate that was the choice for all of us. I was still rather thirsty from my first ride in over a week so I asked for an alcoholic ginger beer and it was so good that I could have downed about three more. Dessert for Sweet Tooth Jim, (helped by Chris), but Cora lee and I were fine with finishing off the Sauvignon Blanc, Colchagua Valley, which was left.

We strolled back home after Jim very graciously paid the bill, and others watched a bit of TV while I digitated. Not much of either as it had been a long day for all concerned so around 10:00pm we said goodnight to one another. I did a bit more unpacking while Cora Lee brushed and flossed and then I did the same. Wanted to read a few chapters of Denise Mina's Gods and Beasts, her latest DS Morrow, but I literally couldn't keep my eyes open. I placed the book on the bedside table, turned out the light and groaned a "Good Night" to Coriandre who was too, too engrossed in her reading to manage but a slight mutter of dismissal by way of reply. I was asleep almost before I could register her disgruntlement and certainly long, long before she turned out the light, Dear Reader!

To be continued... 

Yes I definitely hope to visit with her. I will call her later so we can agree dates:-) x

Dear Mr Patrick Dunn,


Thank you for shopping with Evans Cycles. Your order reference is S0026-13110.

Hello! 

I am not quite sure when I wrote my letter last year, but I'm guessing it's getting close to the 12 month mark or has possibly gone beyond it. So, to bring everyone up-to-date, as I try to remember events from then until now, here is the 2013 edition.

I'll have to confess that I'm only vaguely aware of some highlights from mid-2012 through the early part of this year. I did have a painting in a regional exhibition at the Burchfield-Penney Gallery in western New York and more recently had a painting in a tenth anniversary show at another gallery in Buffalo. The feature film I was in, "Tower", had its North American premiere at TIFF in September. I did land parts in a few short films and an infomercial.

So, nothing major or traumatic until late April this year. My motherhas been nagging, for well over 12 months, that she could no longerstand living with my father and that he had to go. Now, for medical reasons, he has probably needed to be in the Assisted Living section
of their seniors complex for some time. However, legally, he doesstill own 50% of the apartment my mother lives in. And that's wherethe trouble begins.

On April 29, I went and managed to coax my father down to the first floor (assisted-living) where he was given a bed in a room shared with one other gentleman. Not the best choice, but the only option we had.

I felt rather mean. His caregiver had dressed him up so nicely, and there he was, sitting all brushed and combed, and looking spiffy, and he came oh-so-trustingly when I went downstairs. Not being one to fall down on the job, I also managed to move his chest of drawers and night table down to the room the same day, as having personal items in the room is considered a huge factor in helping the resident settledown. Of course, when I went back to the apartment to say goodbye tomy mum, she just stood in the door said. "Well, this was all your idea!".

Since then, it has been nothing but "fun and games" for me andincreasingly my brother, Rod, who - to give him his due - has finally started to do more than he did in prior years. We are both just disgusted with how our mother has treated our father in this case,
because there were other solutions which could have been effected if she was just willing to make some changes within the apartment. Dad is not settled at all, and frequently reminds his private caregivers (the ones we hire) that he does own an apartment in the building.

He even managed to once get out and get back up to the eighth floor, and knocked loudly on the front door. Mother was in the middle of typing a letter and is most put out she had to stop typing and go to the kitchen to finish the letter by hand.

To make matters worse, three or four weeks ago, the roommate attempted to strangle my Dad. Luckily, this was while one of our private caregivers was with Dad and she managed to forestall this problem. The roommate has since been moved out. So Dad is in a very large room by himself, which Rod and I don't think is very cozy. Rod is currently campaigning for Dad to get a single room while I am campaigning to get him off the meds he's on. He was only taking three medications when he was in his own apartment at the beginning of the
year. Now he's on seven officially, and, according to our caregivers, extra little white pills are presented for him to take during the day.

I am really not impressed with the drug culture in the Assisted Living section, and I also don't like the way they administer the medications. Dad is still able to put the tablet in his mouth and swallow with liquid. But the preferred method of the staff is to sneak up on someone while they are eating and shove the pills in with the food. Not very pleasant when you consider how some pills taste if you bite into them...

On top of this, the administrator of the floor is trying to get Dadshifted to another facility. This is because Dad occasionally shouts. But he only does that if you startle him in some way. I also note that the woman across the hall from him sits in her room all day and yells "Help! Get me out of here!" while around the corner from Dad's current room is someone who howls like a wolf from time to time. She does it in the dining room as well. Not much fun.

So, I am very, very disgusted with how dreadful the Assisted-Living floor is, though, if you were to see it, you'd be impressed by the lovely carpets and the paintings on the wall and all the other finery. But if you look in each of the rooms, what you'll see is anoctogenarian or a nonagenarian drugged into a near-comatose state.The floor manager actually told me "Well, we have to drug them, otherwise we can't manage them".

And, to rub salt in the wound, so to speak, a few days after the attempted strangulation, the floor manager had the geriatric psychiatrist see Dad, WITHOUT telling me, which is strictly a no-no, I am official next-of-kin for medical care, so am supposed to be there. Luckily, by fluke, Rod had the week off and just happened to be visiting Mum that day, so they both went with Dad. Dad was apparently so out of it, he slept through most of it. Mum said he seemed drugged.

And, guess what test the psychiatrist used? I looked at the file and found it was...the Violence Scale! Dad can barely get himself out of a chair, it is just nonsense for them to test for that. (Dad scored zero!) (Letter to psychiatrist is in preparation...)

Rod and I would personally like to see Dad back in the apartment with some structural changes made to the apartment and an extra caregiver installed. It would be cheaper than what we're paying now as, right now, the bill each month is around $12,000. But Mum won't hear of it.

If this wasn't enough to keep me busy, I had another interesting surprise come into my life on June 20, when the doorbell rang and I went down to find a policewoman on my doorstep. She had a summons for me and I thought it was to be a witness to something. On reading it,
I found, no, my next-door neighbor, to the north of me at 1174 Shaw, has filed under Section 810 of the Criminal Code, to try and get a peace bond against me. As I said to the police woman: "Where's theevidence?"

This is a real case of where the shoe is 100% on the other foot. I think my neighbors have an amazing amount of gall to do this. I have since done a lot of reading on the subject of section 810 of the Criminal Code here in Canada and have found, luckily, that there's
something of a divide between public prosecutions and private prosecutions. Public prosecutions, where the evidence has gone through a third party, such as the police or the prosecutor's office, are not the same as private prosecutions, where the evidence may be
very shoddy. While each situation has to be taken on its own merits, usually, with a public prosecution, if you're offered a peace bond, it's best to take it. But with a private prosecution, the opposite is true. What my neighbors have filed is a private prosecution.

One of the outcomes of consenting to a peace bond, under section 810 of the Criminal Code, is that it essentially strips you of your legalrights. For example, if I agreed - and I will not be agreeing - Iwould not have the right to stop damage to my property from these
people, or call the police, or the by-law officers. The alternative, to consenting to a peace bond, though, is 12 months in jail. Meaning, summary conviction - unless there has been a hearing. (Section 810 is considered a rather draconian element of our law and talk is afoot, in parliament, to have changes made. As a provision of law, it has been abused more that used.)

The irony of the situation is that these neighbors are among the most dreadful people I have ever met. The guy who built our mutual fence back in 2000 - and thank God there is a fence - has always said if I ever needed him, he'd be happy to come to court to testify on my
behalf, because he found working for them so dreadful. The first winter we were here, namely, December 2000-January 2001, they allowed their sump pump to disgorge into the laneway creating a massive ice rink in the lane for over 6 weeks. People couldn't maneuver their cars into their garages and people were falling on the ice. For those of you reading this overseas, in Canada, this is the height of badmanners. You just don't CREATE ice on paths or lanes or roads. Mother Nature does an admirable job all on her own.

I tried to get them to stop, but they wouldn't. Other neighbors were trying as well. However, I succeeded in getting the bylaw officers out - who did manage to get them to cease and desist - and so the people at 1174 Shaw have never liked me since. Dating from that time, I got a letter from their lawyer saying I was never to speak to them directly, always to go through the lawyer. (Actually, this has suited me fine.) For two years in a row, they disgorged their sump pump in the winter, so it flooded onto my property and wiped out a good half
of my garden - again, when it's below freezing, we don't water plants here. They also, on two occasions, used a high pressure washer to wash their deck and also their side of the fence (not sure why the fence needed washing...), but they blasted half my plants and plastered the side of my garage with maple leaves off my tree, because all this high pressure water came through the fence about seven to 8 feet across my property.

The other damage they have inflicted on me came from basketball.First, the houses here - this being an urban area - are 3 feet apart.  Some activities are just not suitable for our back yards, plus there are many parks nearby. They bought their kids a large basketball hoop. I was then subjected to bombardment with four or five basketballs, often in quick succession, almost getting hit by them when I was just sitting on my bench minding my own business. This became a near-daily occurrence. And when I wasn't around to throwstray balls back, which I always used to do, well, the kids didn't think anything of climbing over the 6-foot high fence to get the balls. They've been seen doing this. Trouble is, they trampled my plants and have damaged the lattice on my fence. I think we have now stopped this, as the hoop is gone, but not before all our garage doors got whacked repeatedly by the balls. I suspect I am not the only onewho was unhappy about this assault on my door.

Then, of course, there was the attack on my maple tree last summer. I hardly ever go out to sit on my deck in the mornings during the work-week but, one morning, decided to take my paper and coffee outside. Lo and behold! Out comes the wife next door, marches down her
backyard with a ladder and pair of shears, and starts hacking off overhanging branches. As it happens, the bylaws do NOT support this, as it is still my tree, and the neighbors are supposed to ask me to do the work first. She then threatened to cut one of the roots, since it
was lifting one of her paving stones. Bad idea. All the roots at thesurface are structural roots and, if you cut one, you de-stabilize the tree. As their lawyer had since retired, I sent various Legal noticesto them directly, advising not to cut the root and what the outcomes would be if they did.

This year, back in June, we were treated to a breach of the noise bylaws... I'll spare you all the details, except to say the policeofficer attending at the scene was not up-to-date on the bylaws (ineffect for 10 years) and, I suspect, what he said to them has triggered their decision to go after me, under the Criminal Code. The latest is their kids and their friends leaving their bikes on my property (at least, I have now got a witness), it goes on and on....

Luckily I have photographs, names of by-law officers, the police etc. etc. All I am hoping is, when I go into court on August 16, that I will be asked if I want to "show cause", be given their disclosures and allowed to have a hearing date. I have identified a lawyer who is a former Crown prosecutor and experienced in criminal law to work with me as a legal adviser. But, for the time being, I will be representing myself, because I've always felt better speaking for myself than having someone do it for me. But unfortunately, all this nonsense will siphon off time I would rather be spending on dealing with my Dad's situation and trying to improve his lot in life.

Other than that, it's a bit of a challenge to find time to do anything more enjoyable! I am trying to get organized enough to submit my work for consideration at art galleries... I continue to audition for PAIDparts in TV, film and commercials... the apartment building that I own in Buffalo is at least full and the only tenant who has a lease up for renewal this year says she wants to renew for 2 years, so that is a relief. I have joined a couple of groups that go to movies, one for current releases, one for the classics. Saw a wonderful 1924 silent
version of Peter Pan, if you ever get a chance, it is a beautiful film and quite amazing what they were able to do in those days, with the technology they had. I have also, for the first time in decades of living here, joined a Brit Ex-Pat group, one reason being, the
following among the teaser copy describing the group: "Want to be understood when you're using real sarcasm?"

I'm also in process of signing up to do several craft shows just prior to Christmas. I did take part in several in the spring but they were a colossal waste of time, not just for me but for all the vendors. Will stick with pre-Xmas from now on. But, over the entire months of May and June, I did not manage to finish a single piece of merchandise (see above about Dad!) and am beginning to panic. November sounds a long way off but it will arrive all too quickly.

So, that brings you up to date for now. If I am still at large come mid-2014, I'll let you know how it's been going! Hope all are well at your end! Deborah 


In some circumstances, the refusal to be defeated is a refusal to be educated. -Margaret Halsey, novelist (1910-1997)  


No comments:

Post a Comment