Tuesday 30 July 2013

Sherford Malt Scoop Blues: Monday, July 29th

Literature is the art of writing something that will be read twice; journalism what will be grasped at once. -Cyril Connolly, critic and editor (1903-1974)



Bit of a sleep-in as it had been quite a full day, what with drive to Amesbury and then to Devon. When I woke at 6:30 am I didn't quite know where I was at first. Bit disconcerting as bedroom was unfamiliar and I couldn't really tell if I was dreaming or just where I was. After I blinked my eyes a number of times, my brain kicked in and memory reminded me that I was at the Malt Scoop. Hadn't even had any malt the night before either! 

Crept downstairs, on tiptoe, so as not to disturb Her Majesty, and made a cup of Instanto. Put away the dishes while I waited for the brew to cool and then sat down at the large table, off the kitchen, I'd commandeered as my temporary study. Had spread out all the various sightseeing pamphlets, brochures and maps that we seemed to have collected over the last few days, all the better to refer to when writing the diary entries. Since there is no internet, not even G3 reception for the iPad, connectivity here, (Not complaining, just reporting the facts. “The facts. Just the facts, Ma'm!”), I can't do a search to help my memory or clarify/elucidate something, so these printed, mnemonic aides are invaluable.



Worked away for a good to hours before I heard some creaking upstairs and knew Coriandre was up. Immediately jumped up to put the kettle on to boil so that she would not have to wait for her soothing first cup. Once downstairs she was more than content to read/watch TV for an hour or so while I continued to scribe. I usually do so online, of course, but have been using ApacheOpenOffice3 for last two days, the word processing package I downloaded, for free, shortly after I bought my MacBook Air. Must say that I am rather pleased with its text editing capabilities and for all my needs it certainly fills the bill. Naturally, delighted that I didn't have to spend the considerable amount one must for Microsoft Office since AOF3 seems to have all of the features of the latter, at least all the basic ones and more, ones that I will probably never ever use.



 Around 10:00am Cora Lee started in on brunch and threw together a delicious omelette, using some of the garlic and chive Cheddar we bought when visiting Roger and Sue, together with some tasty bacon. I had wanted a lazy morning so after we had finished our meal Coramandel went to shower and change while I did the dishes. Made myself another cup of java and settled back down to diarize.Was almost finished my entry for the day before when I heard mutterings emanating from the sitting room. It was clsoe to 1:00pm and The Navigator was keen to be back on the road again. Not wishing to annoy her, I polished off the entry and readied myself. Took along my laptop as I thought I might have the opportunity to use some WiFi somewhere, at a café, perhaps. I wanted to send a few messages, mainly to thank Mandy and Chris for allowing us to stay, as well as to Gayle and Derek to alert them of our imminent arrival.



Day was bright and sunny with a some clouds about but otherwise it was another gorgeous day. We had decided to visit Dartmouth, acting on Mandy's suggestion, and so we set off for there. What a delightful drive back through part of Frogmore, along the estuary there, on into Chillington and then to Torcross. As we approached, we caught our first glimpse of the sea there, Stuart Bay, dotted with sailboats skimming the calm surface, various shades of light and deeper green. Out of Torcross we headed up the coast through one vilage after another, Stokerham, Slapton, Strete and Blackpool, the last sporting a lovely, lovely crescent sand beach with holidayers and their deck chairs and umbrellas enjoying the sun and water. Some brave souls were swimming and I could only imagine what the water temperature was like.



 Back inland around Stoke Fleming, through more narrow roads with high, high hedges until the outskirts of Dartmouth itself where one descends a long, long hill to the centre of town and harbourside. Didn't know quite what to expect but was certainly taken with the quaint, colourful buildings set amid narrow street. We simply followed our noses as place was very, very busy, brimming with tourists bent of doing just what we ourselves intended. Digital signs inform one of number of spots available in various carparks and one in town centre flashed Full. Thought we might as well drive where we could and hope to find a place on the street. Things did not look particularly promising or first little while but just as we were about to have to head out of core, we came across the perfect spot. Not only free but also at the head of the queue so I avoided having to worry about parallel parking on a narrow, crowded street with a line-up of frustrated drivers behind, watching my every move as I inexpertly backed in, driving a car whose width I still don't feel I know intuitively.



Once smoothly nestled against the curb, we had an hour to wander so strolled along the quay, chock-a-block with families picnicking on fish and chips and ice-cream cones, watching scads of children fishing for small crabs, (catch and release, I gather from chatting with some of the proud fishermen), many of their buckets brimming with claws. Walked to the end of the quay where a small, open passenger/car ferry takes vehicles to the other side of the harbour. Opposite hillside is blanketed with houses, as is one above this part of the town so it is an extremely picturesque sea port.



We spent most of our time wandering into bookshops, antique stores, fashion boutiques, delis and the like. I was chuffed to find an Oxo tin from the 1950's, for a mere £7, and one of Robert B. Parker's Jesse Stone novels, Stone Cold, one neither of us had read. Our hour up, around 3:00pm by then, we had seen a fair bit of what we wanted so we headed up the hill to the Sainsbury's Super Store where we wanted to buy some things for dinner. I thought that the café there might offer WiFi but it did not so after we had shopped we made for home.



Ride back was even more fun as there was quite a bit of traffic so going was necessarily slow and just fine with me! It is hard to describe what it was like following a huge double-decker sized bus through streets I thought I could barely negotiate in a small car. However, I was glad to let the monster run interference for me and I was a bit disappointed when I was forced to pass when driver stopped to pick up passengers. I now know why the overhanging tree canopy is cut back to the height that it is, high enough to clear the top of the bus! With such congestion what happens is that fairly long queues form at a point where someone stops to allow oncoming traffic to squeeze by, at a corner, around a parked vehicle and so on. 

Near one such choke point I came around a bend and assumed that the cars in front were all parked, as is often the case, so since there was no traffic approaching, I pulled into the opposite lane and whizzed along only to realize that the cars I was passing were waiting to proceed! Felt a bit daft but there was nothing I could do and fortunately there was space for me to pull in, ahead of what I assumed to be a rather annoyed driver! In fact, I have found most drivers are extremely courteous in such situations and have never felt intimidated or otherwise uncomfortable.



Were home, without further incident, after taking a short spin, slightly out of way, through Kingsbridge to get a sense of the place, by 5:30pm. Unpacked our groceries and I had a java while Cora Lee read The Guardian on the patio, enjoying the last of the sunshine. When the sun went behind the clouds it cooled off considerably and she came inside to watch TV. I beavered away until 7:00pm and then opened a bottle of white, a 2012 from Languedoc, Grenache, Marsanne and Vermentino, 13.5%, bottled for Sainsbury's, two for £12, “brimming with white peach and lemon flavours, with floral aromas and a pure mineral finish”, according to the label. Couldn't have said it better, myself, Dear Reader!
 
Took her a glass and then lit a fire in the wood burning stove that has been inserted into the original fireplace. The insert reminde me of the one we had at Hotel Kits so it was a delight to play Boy Scout again. Not any kindling that I could find and Cora Lee would only part with the Sports Pages of the Guardian so I needed more paper. Found more than enough in the recycling bag in the attached shed so was able to get the smallest logs I could find to start burning with the help of the fireplace bellows. Once I had some lovely red coals I knew I was fine and was able to add larger and larger pieces over the course of the evening. It had started to rain around 8:00pm so the fire's warmth was welcome and made the sitting room more than cosy.



I made a mixed green salad while Coriandre fried up the fish we had bought earlier. Just before it was ready I heated up the overleft cauliflower in the microwave and opened a bottle of red, a 2012 Kumala Zenith, South Africa, Merlot, Cabbage and Shiraz, 14%, ripe plums and a hint of spice, another Sainsbury's, two for £12, special and quite full-bodied. Delicious meal and we revisited the day's event while we enjoyed it. Cora Lee repaired to the drawing room while the scullion washed up and once kitchen was tidy I joined her. We ended up watching Mrs Biggs, quite an interesting made for TV film, I gather, about the woman who ends up marrying one of the Great Train Robbers. Terrific period piece so that, in itself, was fascinating. Not sure how true to the facts the plot remains but a remarkable insight into the lives of those involved and the motivation for the caper if even somewhat close to the reality of the situation. Will need to watch next episode as this ended just before the actual heist.

After the program was over we enjoyed a sip or two of malt in front of the fire. Turned out all the lights and just gazed into the flames. Couldn't have asked for anything better. What a wonderful way to end a wonderful, wonderful stay. By the time we were upstairs with teeth cleaned and into bed it was 1:30am so lights out as soon as our heads hit the pillows!   To be continued...

 Hi Al,


I think it looks great, exactly as I remember when you were over and sketching it out!

My only comment would be where the metal hits the wall on the back right will it look thin?? and by that i mean i would like it to look substantial not a thin piece of metal flush to the wall, but i think we discussed that in how you were making the front edges "thicker" can that back right piece by the shelves be like that as well, or maybe it is and just does not reflect that as easily in the rendering?



Does that make sense? Thanks Al, really excited to see these pictures, makes the reality of actually getting the desk all the more real!!! Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment