Sunday 6 October 2013

Les Mas-d'Agenais Garonne Blues: Monday, October 7th

I was reading the dictionary. I thought it was a poem about everything. -Steven Wright, comedian (b. 1955) 


No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. -Niels Bohr, physicist (1885-1962) 

Chloe Alexis Dunn

Check this out..... It's the colour of some dude's van, cool huh!!

  • Patrick James Dunn Your boyfriend's? This where we shower when on the canal. Cool Huh!
  • Chloe Alexis Dunn Yup I'm dating a guy with a van :-0
  • Patrick James Dunn Your Mom will be pleased to know about that as well as the fact that you can return "your" car to her!

    How about the 10th or 17th of November? Please let me know how those dates work? G


    Hello Rebecca!

    Thank you for your message regarding check-in details. I have just confirmed our arrival time in Paris:  13h53 at Gare de Lyon. I gather we can catch the M14 from there to Saint-Lazare and then but a short walk to the apartment.

    My wife, Corinne Durston, and I look forward to meeting you, probably some time before 3:00 pm, probably sooner, depending on how we negotiate the Metro. Thanks again for your message. Best wishes. Cheers, Patrick!

    Pic: Corinne near Meilhan-sur-Garonne 


    Greetings from Buzet-sur-Baïse, about 100 km south of Bordeaux, Whistler Woman!

    Trust you and family are well! I gather September was pretty wet in Vancouver so wonder how this affected your riding. You haven't heard from me sooner because life is very, very demanding aboard The Good Ship Lollypop! So many bottles of wine to open and consume! However, did manage to obtain shore leave to do my longest ride, to date, yesterday, this past Saturday.

    Simply magical along Le Canal de Garonne for about 50 km and then I did a loop back as tow path finishes at Castets-en-Dorthe. At this point out type of hire boats are not allowed to enter the Garonne itself. Impressive river at this point. I got a great view of its wide expanse and the channels between long sandbars when first crossing over a bridge leading to La Réole, a fairly large place from the looks of it as I rode through, noticing the huge fortress/châteauâ looming over the town. Crossed back over the river after leaving La Réole, riding for about 5 km on a busy road. However, very wide shoulder and terrific surface so I whizzed along, basically slight downhill grade, making my way back, on much quieter roads to Meilhan to see if Damazan had arrived.
     

    This was at about 1:30 pm but no sign of pirate crew so I continued heading south, back towards the village of Damazan, not far from where I started my ride, but this time I followed the small roads which run parallel and right beside the canal. All went very well and it was most pleasant countryside, rich farmland, mainly corn and fruit trees of some sort although not vineyards on this side of the river. I proceeded south until I had about 98 km on the clock and then turned around, through tall, waving fields of corn, farm dogs not happy with my dipsy-doodle incursion. Then took at a slight jog towards Marmande but turned back after a few km as traffic became increasingly heavy. I suppose this larger centre draws such traffic.
     

    Short while later fairly strong head wind became fiercesome and just as I was approaching Pont des Sables the heavens opened. I just had time to put my camera under my vest and zip it closed before deluge hit. Was like taking a shower under Niagara Falls! Other than the fact that I was almost completely soaked it was actually rather spectacular. The huge plane trees which line, magnificently, the canal, acted like a green filter as the torrential rain sluiced through them. Didn't last all that long but nevertheless I was drenched. Sun came out shortly and I was now riding in a light sun shower with blue sky and a distant rainbow to keep me company.

     



    Took this as a good omen and coupled with the three magnificent herons I'd seen early on in my ride, my heart was high, my spirit unbroken as I clicked off the distance towards 120 km. Hit the Captainerie in Meilhan with just under my goal and saw Sarge walking towards me. They had just docked about 15 minutes before. I took the small lane beside the docking area for a final dipsy doodle to bring up my to ride total to desired goal!

    Stats for ride:

    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/386007317#.UlD1_cK61z0.email

    Celebrated with plenty of Pastis before dinner, let me tell you. And then more wine, from Buzet, (Will head back to the Cave there as were are docking overnight and also have another dinner reservation at Auberge du Goujon. Last night for Sheila/Done of couples. They fly to Geneva, from Bordeaux, via TGV from Agouillon, on Tuesday with fabulous pork loins, marinated in my balsamic/olive oil/garlic/mustard concoction, by Flamin', which Mr Fixit bbq'd on grill available for cruisers. Wonderful, wonderful ending, (in spite of my falling flat on my face, on the upper deck, after tripping over the lip of the hatch, breaking a wine glass but not spilling a drop of wine, (or blood from shards of glass), from the two bottles of red I was carrying to clamouring throats on the Flying Bridge!), to the day, finishing off with some bridge before we turned in around 11:00 pm.
     

    Today we are making our way back to Buzet-sur-Baïse to stay overnight. Sheila and Des, couple from Edmonton, will leave the Damazan tomorrow as they fly to Geneva, from Bordeaux, via TGV from Aiguillon, a short drive away. English chap, Terry, (Loads of Brits over here, either have holiday homes or live permanently. Who wouldn't if one could manage/wanted to do so!), who runs marina where we will dock will drive them to train station. We have dinner reservations back at L'Auberge du Goujon tonight, to celebrate/say goodbye. As well, plan to revisit Les Vignerons de Buzet as our hootch larder is just about as bare as Old Mother Hubbard's cupboard!

    Must away as it's time to suit up for my ride. We'll be docking in about 15 or 20 minutes , (Just passing Damazan, about 4 km, by road, from Buzet-sur-Baïse, and I want to be ready to go once we tie up. Haven't yet decided where I'll go. Know the surrounding area reasonably well, (One of the great things about cruising in this manner is that I can go off, away from canal and explore surrounding countryside while the tars swill rum!), so will probably just follow my nose and see what I can see. Fondestos from Cora Lee. Cheers, Patrizzio!



    P, the Simi Valley trip sounds very appealing especially if that fine french wine is in the boot. Kerry's birthday is on the 21 November. I would have trouble leaving before that date. To consider this drive, I would need to leave after that date.





    I will suggest the later dates to the NRBC and see if anyone is listening. W


    Pat,

        
    Looks like the ideal way to see the French towns and countryside. First ride for me for a long while this past Friday. Couldn't keep up with George and Mark on an easy ride around Stanley Park and was not pleased that I slowed them down.
        
    Riding down 16th yesterday following the steep descent from Dunbar when a young rider in front of me came off. Picked him up and fortunately there were no broken bones although he was quite shaken up and suffered some nasty grazes. There was some recent road work at the area just to the west of Carnarvon School but I examined the area and couldn't find see why he had taken the tumble. It reminded me that I should probably brake a bit when next flying down that particular hill.



    It was a nice weekend here and we had dinner with an old friend on holiday from West Hartlepool on Saturday evening. Hope the boating is going well. Ray

    Hi Raymond!

    Hardship postings are hardship postings, as Whirlygig would have it! With respect to getting to know French wine
    this is really only the second time, (First in 2010 near Valence/Lyon, Côtes-du-Rhône-Villages ), that I have had the opportunity to taste in this fabled country. I have always shied away from French wine as, not knowing anything and not feeling I could not understand nor afford the Bordeaux futures, per esempio, that some of our wealthy friends, (not mentioning names, mind!), buy at the drop of a sou, the ones I could afford interested me very little. Of course, this says far more about me and my untutored palate but until this trip, I tended to discount French wine, favouring Argentinian and Chilean product for price/quality ratio. 

    Languedoc opened my eyes and Buzet has continued to do so. I'm still just beginning to scratch the surface but I have had my wine-tasting socks knocked off, time and time again. At this very moment, I'm travelling with 18 bottles, (until the other dipsomaniacs aboard discover my stash), and I'm thinking, quite seriously, of dispatching Cora Lee into the canal, weighed down with empty bottles filled with cement, in order to use her baggage allowance to bring the hootch back to Vancouver! In short, what I'm saying is that this has been an incredible sojourn and has made me realize that I have been nothing but terribly uninformed and biased against the very country which produces some of the most interesting, exciting and ridiculously affordable  wine I have ever encountered! Here endeth the lesson!


    Glad to hear that you are biking in spite of the fact that you were not happy about keeping up with Giggster and Marcus Aurelius. I'm sure they were happy to stop for lattes, having been informed about best spots by Ragin'!

    Otherwise, trust you are well. Perhaps Sylvia will lend you her bike when we next attempt Seymour Demo Forest! I gather September was pretty wet in Vancouver so had wondered how this affected your riding. You haven't heard from me in a bit because life is very, very demanding aboard The Good Ship Lollypop! So many bottles of wine to open and consume! However, did manage to obtain shore leave to do my longest ride, to date, this past Saturday.

    Simply magical along Le Canal de Garonne for about 50 km and then I did a loop back as tow path finishes at Castets-en-Dorthe. At this point out type of hire boats are not allowed to enter the Garonne itself. Impressive river at this point. I got a great view of its wide expanse and the channels between long sandbars when first crossing over a bridge leading to La Réole, a fairly large place from the looks of it as I rode through, noticing the huge fortress/châteauâ looming over the town. Crossed back over the river after leaving La Réole, riding for about 5 km on a busy road. However, very wide shoulder and terrific surface so I whizzed along, basically slight downhill grade, making my way back, on much quieter roads to Meilhan to see if Damazan had arrived.

    This was at about 1:30 pm but no sign of pirate crew so I continued heading south, back towards the village of Damazan, not far from where I started my ride, but this time I followed the small roads which run parallel and right beside the canal. All went very well and it was most pleasant countryside, rich farmland, mainly corn and fruit trees of some sort although not vineyards on this side of the river. I proceeded south until I had about 98 km on the clock and then turned around, through tall, waving fields of corn, farm dogs not happy with my dipsy-doodle incursion. Then took at a slight jog towards Marmande but turned back after a few km as traffic became increasingly heavy. I suppose this larger centre draws such traffic.

    Short while later fairly strong head wind became fiercesome and just as I was approaching Pont des Sables the heavens opened. I just had time to put my camera under my vest and zip it closed before deluge hit. Was like taking a shower under Niagara Falls! Other than the fact that I was almost completely soaked it was actually rather spectacular. The huge plane trees which line, magnificently, the canal, acted like a green filter as the torrential rain sluiced through them. Didn't last all that long but nevertheless I was drenched. Sun came out shortly and I was now riding in a light sun shower with blue sky and a distant rainbow to keep me company.

    Took this as a good omen and coupled with the three magnificent herons I'd seen early on in my ride, my heart was high, my spirit unbroken as I clicked off the distance towards 120 km. Hit the Captainerie in Meilhan with just under my goal and saw Sarge walking towards me. They had just docked about 15 minutes before. I took the small lane beside the docking area for a final dipsy doodle to bring up my to ride total to desired goal!

    Stats for ride:

    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/386007317#.UlD1_cK61z0.email

    Celebrated with plenty of Pastis before dinner, let me tell you. And then more wine, from Buzet, (Will head back to the Cave there as were are docking overnight and also have another dinner reservation at Auberge du Goujon. Last night for Sheila/Done of couples. They fly to Geneva, from Bordeaux, via TGV from Agouillon, on Tuesday with fabulous pork loins, marinated in my balsamic/olive oil/garlic/mustard concoction, by Flamin', which Mr Fixit bbq'd on grill available for cruisers. Wonderful, wonderful ending, (in spite of my falling flat on my face, on the upper deck, after tripping over the lip of the hatch, breaking a wine glass but not spilling a drop of wine, (or blood from shards of glass), from the two bottles of red I was carrying to clamouring throats on the Flying Bridge!), to the day, finishing off with some bridge before we turned in around 11:00 pm.

    Yesterday we made our way back to Buzet-sur-Baïse to stay overnight. Sheila and Des, couple from Edmonton, were to leave the Damazan Tuesday morning. They are fly to Geneva, from Bordeaux, via TGV from Aiguillon, a short drive away. English chap, Terry, (Loads of Brits over here, either have holiday homes or live permanently. Who wouldn't if one could manage/wanted to do so!), who runs marina where we had docked earlier in trip offered to drive them to train station. We had made dinner reservations back at L'Auberge du Goujon for 7:30 pm, to celebrate/say goodbye. As well, planned to revisit Les Vignerons de Buzet as our hootch larder is just about as bare as Old Mother Hubbard's cupboard!

    Suited up for my ride at Damazan, a small, very attractive town, about 4 km, by road, from Buzet-sur-Baïse. I wanted to be ready to go once rest of crew were back from local bistro where they were relaxing after strenuous morning on the canal. I hadn't decided where I was heading but by now I know the surrounding area reasonably well, (One of the great things about cruising in this manner is that I can go off, away from canal and explore surrounding countryside while the tars swill rum!), so planned to  just follow my nose to see what I could see.


    However, my departure was somewhat delayed as when the co-captains returned, the boat would not start. We had moored on the canal bank across from where the power outlets are provided as we were not staying. Fortunately, for us, another barge was coming along the canal and they took a rope to the other side which enabled us to haul the Damazan across the canal and plug in. With an external source of energy we were able to start the engine. (This had happened once before when the ignition was inadvertently left on. This configuration drains the batteries and unless one is able to plug in somewhere, things become far more difficult, as you can well imagine.) Anyway, chap in charge of the marina told us that we had left the water and bilge pumps engaged when we'd left the boat and this is what had caused the batteries to run down, in this instance. Live and Learn!



    In fact, I learned most of this once I rejoined group after my ride. I left the Damazan in Distress once she was secured on the opposite bank. Lots of others to bark orders and trip over one another's feet as they tried to re-start engine! I prefer the quiet of the countryside and the company of tractors hauling grapes!

    At any rate, I waved goodbye to the squabbling crew and rode out of Damazan making for Casteljalouz, a town I'd cycled to, earlier, from the opposite direction. Great climb up into the Landes Forest and then a quick stop to snap an incredible château I'd not seen on my ride of a few days ago. I'd been going in the other direction and had only seen the huge gates to the grounds but not the magnificent edifice itself. Into town a short while later to ride to the Centre Thermal, just to see what it looked like. Nothing special, similar, in a vague sense, to the large bath house in Harrison.

    Back out of Casteljaloux to cycle the reverse route I done last week and I must say that I found it more difficult in this direction. The reasonably brisk head wind didn't help matters much but I think the grade is, generally speaking, more of an uphill climb coming form Casteljalouz rather than from Lavardac. A any rate, I persevered, and was pleased to find myself in Barbaste, a town I knew I needed to pass through on the way to Buzet-sur-Baïse. Somehow, as these cycling things go, I took a wrong turn and ended up on a very quiet, pleasant road leading goodness knows where. I decided that I would eventually run into a signpost so proceeded for a goodly distance, through what I can only describe as a very modern, acre or more lots, subdivision, until I came to a crossroads which directed me back towards Lavardac, next town but two from Buzet, so at least I now knew where I was!

    Once here it was plain sailing and I took the first turn for Xaintrailles, a community I knew and which posed a good climb from where I now happened to be. In fact, I had only descended the route I was about to ascend and I must say that I didn't realize what a good effort it would require. I'd done the road further to the north and while it is long, it is more gradual than one I was on, and subsequently, not nearly as punishing.

    Still, I hunkered down and finally made it into Xaintrailles to be rewarded with the glorious descent ahead, zooming down into and through Buzet to the marina to find the Damazan in harbour, the crew playing Wizard on the flying bridge deck. I needed about 4 km to bring my total up to 70 km+ for the day's ride so took a quick turn through the town and then pulled up close to 5:30 pm.

    Stats for Monday's ride:

    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/387191631#.UlLvTgNtA_w.email

    Had a quick shower and changed into "formal" wear, (shirt with a collar and sandals, as oppose to a frayed riding top and orange Crocs!), had large Pastis as rowdies had finished off four bottles of wine and we made for L'Auberge. Another stupendous meal and by chance, the Americans who had "saved" us came in a a few minutes later and we spent a pleasant time getting to know one another. Wives had been to college together in Colorado and I gather this trip was one of the reunions they have from time to time, scattered as they are from Vermont to Michigan to Virginia to Colorado. Anyway, we sent over a bottle of wine to thank them for their rescue services. We might well see them in Agen over next day or so as they are making for there as well.

    Back home and the other lads stayed on deck to drink malt and smoke cigars! Needless to say, I didn't join them and had my own Bruichladdich downstairs, although Cora Lee reverted to her high school delinquent days/ways and joined the menfolk for a puff or two! Still, boys will be boys! All in all, quite day, filled with all sorts of interesting experiences.

    Fondestos from Cora Lee to you and Sylvia. Cheers, Patrizzio!

    Pics: Château I passed while cycling towards Casteljaloux; appetizers and desserts from L'Auberge du Goujon  last night




    Just a bit of a leg-stretcher today, late this afternoon after a lazy morn ing/early afternoon on the canal. We tied up at Les Mas-d'Agenais and I had scoped out, via Google Maps, a bit of a route to follow, to explore surrounding villages. As things usually turn out, I ended up in places I had no intention of visiting but one cannot really go wrong, given the relatively short distances between the villages. Since we have been in this general area for last week I have come to know the area and after 30 km I came across a village, Villeton, from an entirely different direction. As soon as I crossed the bridge leading into town I knew I had been here before. I'd "detoured" here, yesterday, leaving the canal tow path, to avoid the  barriers, much like the ones on Stanley Park Seawall, that would have necessitated touching the Burning Ground! Once here, I was in terrific shape and logged an easy 15 km back to the Mother Ship to find the layabouts swilling rosé on the flying bridge and playing goofy card games!

    Fabulous chicken cassoulet by Coriandre and Flamin' for dinner and then unbridled bridge, with copious amounts of Pastis, to aid my precise bidding, after the scrumptious meal.

    Fondestos from Cora Lee to you both and Tia Maria, it goes without saying! As to NRBC's next gathering, weekends after November 3rd, 10th or 17th, looks like only possibilities as some people are going to Simi Valley on November 18th! Cheers, Il Conduttore!

    Pics: Extreme hardship posting on the canal! Today's excruciating journey! Note the ceramic wine cooler, from Pézenas, next to the The Sisterhood's divine cassoulet!




    Hello Mr Patrick Dunn & Mrs  Corinne Durston,



    Thank you for your mail and the picture!



    From the railway station Paris Gare de Lyon,  you can also take the metro line n°1 in Direction of "La Défense", stop at the station "Chatelet" (10 mn) and then follow the map attached by walk (10 mn)



    I will be at the apartment from 14h30. I wish you a nice week ! Best regards, Rebecca



     

No comments:

Post a Comment