Monday 7 October 2013

L'Auberge Du Goujon qui Frétille Blues: Tuesday, October 8th!

Poetry is the art of saying what you mean but disguising it. -Diane Wakoski, poet (b. 1937)



What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset. -Crowfoot, Native American warrior and orator (1821-1890) 

Up at 6:15 am as I had promised I would make sure Sheila and Desmondo were up in time to get ready to leave for train station at 7:30 am. Foggiest it has been since we've been on boat. Still, very magical. The Sisterhood find it too damp and chilly but I think it is wonderful. 

Just arrived in Agen. Beautiful day on the canal.with Peggy Connors and 4 others at Agen.

City · Government Organisation · Agen, Aquitaine

  • Nancy Mennel Ah, la belle vie Canadienne!!! Looks fab! Enjoy.

  • Once they'd gone, The Two Waynes went to the bakery for bread and croissants.
Plan, as of this moment, is to dock in Agen, do laundry and scope town. Will probably stay overnight at Locaboat marina as we don't have to pay to use facilities and services. I f we decide not to stay in Agen I am probably going to cycle to next day's stop to scope out situation there. Our eventual, and final stop, before we return to Agen, to leave the Damazan, is Moissac, by Wednesday afternoon.  

Left the babes off at the first lock before Agen with heaps of dirty laundry. They were to walk into town to start chipping away at mounds of soiled clothes while we negotiated three more to dock at Locaboat at just a little after 1:0 pm. Once the co-captains speak to the manager here about our electrical problems, I'm going to suit up and head out along the tow path towrads Moissac. Has turned into another simply gorgeous day so I'll need plenty of sunscreen but otherwise I plan to ride nekkid!

Hi Giggenheimer!

What with the Travelling Dipsomaniacs I'm afeared there won't be any French porch climber/chainer cleaner left by the time we reach the next ecluse, let alone Vancouver!


Unfortunately, I need to be in Simi Valley by November 21st as that is when Ayn's cousin and family are leaving. I understand your circumstances so don't worry at all. Just thought that if things worked out and interest was there that it would have been fun to have you along, riding shotgun. Perhaps I'll ask Captain Barnacle as I'll need to have someone I can "mother" since I won't have The Sisterhood telling me what to do, every minute of the day. Anyway, if things change, you are more than welcome, of course. In fact bring along the whole fam damily and that makes everyone happy. Tia can spend all her time at Disneyland, you and I cycling and Kerry, barefoot in the kitchen, preparing sustainable cactii dishes, spines included for Pelotonii!

Fondestos from Cora Lee to you and your Sisterhood. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Wild Bill!

Forgot to thank you for sending along link to PSILoveYou! Would be great to attend but timing is off, for us at least. I'm heading down to Simi Valley to house/cat sit on November 18th until just after American Thanksgiving. Cora Lee is too, too busy with VPL volunteer work to accompany me. Perhaps you should join me!

Fondestos from Cora Lee to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Lady Patrizia and Sir James!

Trust you are both well. Have you been to the dottore, Sir James, to make sure all is well. At any rate, hope you have not had any further spells! Will be in touch again, closer to time we will be in Paris. There for 15th/16th and then Eurostar to London on morning of the 17th. Fondestos from Cora Lee to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hello Everyone at Marquis!

Have been meaning to say hello ever since I first read the newsletter for September 5th and saw mention made of Domaines Paul Mas. On Thursday, September 26th, Cora Lee and I drove to Montagnac, about half an hour away, from where we are staying and enjoyed one of the most remarkable tastings we've ever experienced. By chance, as I mentioned above, I knew about Château Paul Mas from your on-line newsletter which I read shortly after I arrived, September 2nd, in Neffiès. I thought it might be fun to see what sort of winery, (size, etc.), it was and simply because it was so close by.

Lovely building and very tasteful and attractive tasting room. Only a few other people there and for most of our stay it was just Cora Lee and myself. What "shocked" me was that one literally chooses which wines one wishes to taste from the bottles arrayed on display racks around the room. It is almost like being a kid in a candy store. Where does one start when given so much choice? And believe me there was plenty to choose from! I think we probably could have tasted, had we the capacity, all afternoon. We ended up choosing two whites and six reds and for each selection the very friendly young woman, Anna, conducting the tasting, would go into the storeroom to select bottle in question, open it and pour the wine. Part of the time we spent chatting with a German couple, on holiday, like ourselves. Their English was very good so we had lots to talk about.

Charge for tasting is €5 for eight wines but waived if one purchases three bottles. I knew this was a laugh and we ended up buying a case of twelve! Prices, once again, were absolutely ridiculous, given magnificent quality of wine. Most of bottles we selected were between €7-€10 and I "splurged" on one for €15/$20.90! Almost glad I'd not done any other tasting at other domaines while here as I'd never leave, or be able to leave!

Have been on a canal boat, Damazan, with three other couples since September 28th. Leave boat in Agen, about 120 km south of Bordeaux on October 12th and then make our way to Paris, for two nights, before taking Eurostar to London. Home on October 19th.

All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Pics: Tasting at Paul Mas! 

Hello Broadway Dental!

Trust everyone is well. Have been on a canal boat, Damazan, with three other couples since September 28th. Leave boat in Agen, about 120 km south of Bordeaux on October 12th and then make our way to Paris, for two nights, before taking Eurostar to London. Home on October 19th.

Fondestos from Cora Lee to everyone. See you on the 29th! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pic: My gold crown after it fell off, in Cornwall! Only cost about $250 to have it cemented back in place! I wanted to use Krazy Glue. Corinne urged me to do so as she was hoping I wouldn't ever be able to open my mouth again!
 

Just arrived in Agen. Beautiful day on the canal.with Corinne Durston and 4 others at Agen.

City · Government Organisation · Agen, Aquitaine


Dear Patrick,


Wayne has just told me your trip ends on Friday so does this change your ETA at Le Colombier, Chabeuil from around 7pm on Saturday?  We are currently expecting you to arrive around dinner time and would hate for us to be out when you got here so please let us know if this is no longer the case.  Many thanks.  Looking forward to seeing you both.


Best wishes, Rosemary XXX
 
Hi Rosemary!

We just docked in Agen and are currently doing laundry. We plan to move along the canal, about an hour, after we are finished here, making for Moissac. We return to Agen on Friday night to spend last evening aboard. Sarge and company make for Toulouse on Saturday, we to you. I would like to travel across country so it will probably take us about 7 or 8 hours, according to Google Maps. If we leave by just after 10:00 am, when we pick up our car, everything going well, we should be in Chabeuil between 6:00-7:00pm, perhaps sooner. I think I can find your place once we reach Chabeuil but is there anymore to your address other than Le Colombier? If so it might help to plug it into GM.

The other thing is that I'm not sure if we said we were planning to leave on the morning of the 15th for Paris. We have arranged to drop our car off in Valance so won't need to be ferried to station. However, at one point I think I may have indicated we were off on the 14th, staying for just two nights. If this extra night presents a problem we can always stay somewhere else. Sorry for this confusion, especially when you are in the midst of closing up.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts and we'll plan accordingly. Thanks. Cheers, Patrizzio!



Stats for Tuesday's ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/387874252#.UlTuCq1i9Yo.email
Hi Patrick,


Thanks for the update.  We are expecting you for two nights and this is fine.  Wayne has detailed directions of how to get here so ask him to forward them onto you.  I sent them onto him on 29th April 2013.  They are on my computer in London so this is the simplest way.  If he can not find them I will try and find the attachment here.  The coordinates here are 44" 53' 25 71N and 05" 01' 18 33E if this helps.  As I said, we are looking forward to seeing you both on Saturday evening.  Am I correct that Corrine has a gluten/wheat allergy so might be useful if you reminded me exactly what she cannot eat - many thanks.
Cheers, Rosemary XXX

Hi Rosemary, look forward to our visit with you and Andre. See you Saturday. Hugs, Corinne
 






No comments:

Post a Comment