Tuesday 29 October 2013

Islay Inn Back Home Blues: Tuesday, October 29th

What we hope ever to do with ease, we must learn first to do with diligence. -Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)


Hi Al,

The desk is a go. Please let me know if you would like me to email transfer you some monies??

My banker is prepared :) Thanks Al!! Very excited! Chloe 


Dinner on the 5th will be great! Can you send us your address? We are staying at the Sutton Place hotel. We will be driving from Seattle. Looking forward to seeing you!

Hi Glenda, our apartment  is in a building called Harbour Terrace and the door code is XXX.
I've invited Chloe to come as well.  One of us could pick you up at your hotel if you would like. Let me know. Thinking of dinner at 6:30 or 7. Whatever works best for you. Corinne

Some Yorkshire humour after the county's recent elevation. The blogs especially the Lancastrian ones and the two youtube clips are funny although one is a bit vulgar.
Regards Jim 

Hi Chloe,

No problem on sending any money as I know where your banker lives.  The price was $430.00 before taxes for the sheet metal work, and I estimate $200ish for powder coating and we can see how much time was required on my end and work something out. Cheers, Al

Tobias Smollett, the inspiration behind Smellfungus
Art: Nathaniel Dance-Holland, ca. 1764

 Smellfungus:


MEANING:

noun: A habitual faultfinder or complainer.


ETYMOLOGY:

After Smelfungus, a hypercritical character in Laurence Sterne's 1768 novel, A Sentimental Journey through France and Italy. Earliest documented use: 1807.


Hi Big Al and Desk Girl!

Desk Girl's Banker is prepared but planning a quick getaway once invoice arrives! We are off to Little Shuswap on Friday, for two nights, with friends, Ruth/Rick, from Squamish, a their very comfortable cabin there. (Great to have good friends with holiday property!). Will stay overnight, on Sunday, with Lynne and Peter Lighthall in Naramata. Hope to stock up on some white wine before my bank account is drained! Perhaps we can think about dinner in the coming weeks. Will need to be before November 16th, for me, as on the 18th I'm off to California to house/cat sit/American Thanksgivng with Ayn and Los horridos, in Simi Valley again. Jet-Setter Cora Lee will fly down as she has too, too many meetings, (Can you believe it?), to be chauffeured there by her uxorious husband! Plan to be back around the beginning of December in time for Chloë's extravagant 66th birthday present on December 6th, for her aging, impoverished, almost a pauper, Dad!

Hello to Marilyn and The Young Brothers. Fondestos from Corinadre, (still snoring gently with Maggster atop her tummy!), to one and all. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Up at 6:05 am when my alarm went off. I wanted to take Titanium Green in for a quick inspection and oil change so that all was as it should be before we set off for both Little Shuswap, this coming Friday, and then Tinsel Town, on my own, on November 18. Fed the Savage Beast and then worked away on email until about 7:30 am and then put my Brodie on the car bike rack and drove to Coastal on Thornton. Had a pleasant chat with Slammin' Steve, one of the Service Managers and then rode back home. Quite a bit of frost on the grass as I rode along the Seawall but it wasn't unpleasantly cold so I enjoyed seeing the mirror smooth False Creek and the rising sun tinging the few clouds with pink and yellow.

Around 9:00 am gave Robo Man a call to see if he was interested in going for a ride. He was but wanted to wait until around 10:30 am to allow frost to melt. When he showed up we headed fro SP and did a very pleasant circuit via Prospect Point. hardly knew where I was most of the time as I was on automatic pilot as we chatted, bringing each other up-to-date on the goings on over the last three months or so. Back at The Islay Inn I contined on, accompanying Raymond to Macdonald. When he headed for home I made for UBC. Didn't climb the Foreshore Hill as I had to be at the dentist by 2:00 pm and had to be back at the Isaly Inn by 1:15 pm in order to have a quick shower and change of clothes. 

Stats for today's ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/397365373#.UnB1VCEjGAI.email

 All went well and I presented myself right on time. New dental hygienist, Andrea, sicne I was last there. Lovely young woman and I enjoyed chatting with her as she cleaned my teeth. Once that was over I was to see Diane Bird but she had left early as she wasn't feeling well. I had seen her when I arrived and was looking forward to chatting with her as she is loads of fun. Anyway, I was seen by a colleague, Heather, from office next door and given a clean dental bill of health. Stopped at a used book store a few doors down from the dental office and was delighted to pick up a hardback edition off Ellroy's Blood's a Rover, the current NRBC selection. After I did a bit of grocery shopping for some vegetables at a store on next block I stopped at Kits Library to cancel the hold I had placed on the book and then returned home, stopping at the Safeway on 4th & Vine for some Effudex, medication I am not looking forward to applying to my back, front, shoulders and arms over the next six weeks. Only consolation is that it probably won't be quite as uncomfortable as it was when I had to apply it to my face!

Back home to listen to voice mail and learn that TG was ready for pick-up so I returned to Coastal, taking the streets parallel to Terminal and around Home Depot to get at the dealership without having to stop for traffic lights and so avoid the Burning Ground. Loaded my bike back on TG after I spied car in small lot and once I'd paid, I made a bee line for The Island Inn. 

Errand ride stats: 20.10 km over 1:16'29, AVG15.7 km/h. Found
Cora Lee already there, her day's round of luncheons and meetings finally over. She put together a very, very tasty meal of pesto zucchini and fried white fish slathered in Devon Cream! We enjoyed our meal while watching another episode of Elementary. More opening mail, (endless pleas to give to charities of one sort or another), and a few messages before I was ready to start Blood's a Rover. Am particularly fond of Ellroy so am quite looking forward to as it follows American Tabloid and The Cold Six Thousand as the final volume of his Underworld USA Trilogy.

Clay lies still, but blood's a rover;
         Breath's a ware that will not keep
Up, lad: when the journey's over
         There'll be time enough to sleep.

A. E. Housman – Reveille 

Dinner on the 5th will be great! Can you send us your address? We are staying at the Sutton Place hotel. We will be driving from Seattle. Looking forward to seeing you! 
Hi Glenda, our apt. is on Lamey's Mill Rd. The building is called Harbour Terrace and the door code is XXX. I've invited Chloe to come as well. One of us could pick you up at your hotel if you would like. Let me know. Thinking of dinner at 6:30 or 7. Whatever works best for you. Corinne

Thank you so much for your hard work and leadership as a F&B Crew Captain this past week! Many hours, many steps on tired feet, many instructions given, many questions fielded, to say nothing of all the routine work of setting up, taking down, serving, bussing and dealing with the public!
 
Please let me know anything and everything about your experience this year. What went well, what can be improved? Are there any volunteers you'd like to see the back of, people who would be better placed elsewhere?
 
Any volunteers you feel should be promoted to leadership positions? Were staff helpful, were they appreciative and receptive to your suggestions? Did you get enough support, prep, etc from Orientation materials and from me and Lili? Job descriptions attached, it's not too soon to submit suggestions for changes, especially while the 2013 Festival is still fresh! Please don't hesitate to ask me for schedules for the events you worked; sometimes seeing a name associated with a certain time can generate a memory that's important to share.
Many thanks, I look forward to hearing from you! Kathryn Fowler, Volunteer Manager



Hi, Crew Captains - Thank you very much for all your time and work at the Writers Fest last week.  Your organizing volunteers and doing so many other tasks made my job easier.  And now I'm asking for a little more help in making next year's F&B service better.

Kathryn asks:   
 
Tell me anything and everything you can about what went particularly well
with the volunteers, what was a challenge and what needs to be changed.
Please share any suggestions you have for improvements.

You all worked with the volunteers more than I did.  If you have any general or specific comments I could include in my reply to Kathryn, send them to me in the next few days.

Megan - I have all your Volunteer lists.

Karl - I was so busy with the urns on Sunday morning, I didn't even see how many Vs you had at the champagne table or how the pouring and serving went.  You mentioned that pouring oj was messy.  Tell me any other suggestions for the champagne table and your V number.  

Sue & Patrick - Kathryn always likes to know volunteer attendance.  Let me know who, if anybody, was absent from any shift.

Any comments about volunteers or suggestions about anything else to do with Food & Beverage are welcome.

I enjoyed working with all of you and really appreciate your help.  Thank you.  CathyA
 
Chloe Alexis Dunn shared Trina Rose's photo.
Hi there FB friends and Family, making sure that you are all planning on coming to this event on the 19th of November for those of you who want to relive their youthful wild party ways and jam out to some JAZZBERRY RAM!!!! or those of you who want to support a good cause and have fun doing so, it will be a fun night, looking forward to seeing you all there!!! Remember by coming to this event you are helping Aunt Leah's stop the cycle of homelessness in Vancouver.

Dear Gentlemen:


I recently watched the 2001 documentary: James Ellroy's Feast of Death on Netflix and suggest that it be a requisite to the next book meet.

His ranting, raving, maniacal persona makes me want James to be my new best friend:


"In media appearances, Ellroy has adopted an outsized, stylized public persona of hard-boiled nihilism and self-reflexive subversiveness. He frequently begins public appearances with a monologue such as:

Good evening peepers, prowlers, pederasts, panty-sniffers, punks and pimps. I'm James Ellroy, the demon dog, the foul owl with the death growl, the white knight of the far right, and the slick trick with the donkey dick. I'm the author of 16 books, masterpieces all; they precede all my future masterpieces. These books will leave you reamed, steamed and drycleaned, tie-dyed, swept to the side, true-blued, tattooed and bah fongooed. These are books for the whole fuckin' family, if the name of your family is Manson. "

Unfortunately, I can't make the next get-together as I will be out East.

Kind regards,

Kurt Rathfelder

 

No comments:

Post a Comment