Saturday 5 October 2013

Meilhan-sur-Garonne Blues: Saturday, October 5th

On the mountains of truth you can never climb in vain: either you will reach a point higher up today, or you will be training your powers so that you will be able to climb higher tomorrow. -Friedrich Nietzsche, philosopher (1844-1900)



Greetings from Paradise, Lake visit/ Hey World Travellers/Canal Barge and More!

Dear Truculent Crustacean and Little White!

I do apologize for not replying sooner but life on the canals and rivers of the Sud Ouest of France is more than demanding, what with bridge on the deck of our penichette, Damazan, bike rides, incredible, (both in terms of quality and price), wine tasting at local domaines and extraordinary meals, both aboard barge and at wonderful restaurants along the way, I simply don't have a moment to spare, especially having to cater to Cora Lee's every whim and fancy!

The short answer to your lovely, generous, (albeit nastily worded invitation, Prickly Ricardo, not Little White's polite, inquiring missive), is that the November weekend is the only time possible for us as we are both volunteering at the VWF the previous weekend. back at The Islay in on October 19th and my first shift is the following Monday through Sunday.

You will note that I have put his important bit of information at the beginning of my reply so that Mr Cantankerous won't have to wade through anything not germane to his vitriolic cross-examination! For those possessing a sweeter, curiouser disposition, I include the following excerpts from The Travelling Road Show Diaries, to give but a hint of our time over the last week or so. I remain, as ever, yer 'umble scullion and scribe, Sieur de Patrice, Duc de Buzet-sur-Baïse, Cyclist Extraordinaire, Bon Vivant and Cabin Boy all rolled up in one tasty chocolate croissant with a tumbler of Pastis and one of Malt on the side! (Fondestos would be forthcoming from Cora Lee but she continues to snore, ever so gently, in our aft cabin!)



Hi Pat and Corinne,  Thanks for the response and we look forward to our lake visit together. Your journey sounds fascinating with all the views from the canal barge, bike rides and your wanderings elsewhere (vineyards, divine food havens and rubbing of elbows with all kinds of interesting people, nothing less would do). Cheers to more of the same! Ruth

Hi Patrick!

Thanks for your latest email. Glad things are going swimmingly and you continue to enjoy your holiday with crew mates!


As you can see we are back home and resettled. We will miss Krissy and Mark, but I must say I am always glad to get back after a longish time away. Our last 4 days in Vancouver was spent at Krissy and Marks looking after animals and doing a few odd jobs  around their place. We had torrential rain for the last few days we were in Vancouver. We took puppy for a walk in Stanley Park in, what one would consider, a normal Rainey day. Once in the park the heavens opened and torrents of rain fell. It was so bad even the dog dragged me under a tree to try to get some shelter! Walking through the underpass was like walking through a small river. The run off swept over our shoes to our ankles! Needless to say by the time we got into the car we all looked quite pathetic although we did have a good laugh, except the dog.


Had coffee with the sisters yesterday to catch up on all the news. Maur and Bill enjoyed your company while you were at Sydney House. Have arranged to lunch with them next week. Spent all of today getting the garden ready for winter, although it is still quite warm here. Spuddy was outside with us getting under our feet! He continues to want to be the centre of attention! Chloe said she is looking forward to you getting back, mainly so she can get Mags settled back into Granville Island! Gayle and I will cycle into Truro tomorrow for our Sunday morning coffee and pastry and back along the old railway path.

Don't plan any future trips now until the winter when we may take a short break to Malta just to get a bit of sun and possibly a long weekend in London before Christmas. We will probably do the Baltic cruise in the summer and I believe Krissy is planning a visit here in September. Think she is trying to convince Chloe to come as well!

 


Off to Southampton in a couple of weeks to look after Tristan for a few days. He is such a dear boy and we are looking forward to it.

Since we were working in the garden all day I just made a tomato, basil and lentil soup for dinner and Gayle made her homemade bread to go with along with some cheeses. She just brought me a glass of Roja and half avocado!

Thank you so much for the bottle of wine you left and also for the use of your place in Granville Island. It was a real pleasure having our own place and made it a real pleasure being able to invite our friends for dinner which we have never been able to do when staying with Mark and Krissy. I think it has convinced us that we will rent a furnished apartment in Vancouver the next time we come for a lengthy stay!
 

Enjoy the rest of your trip and hope the weather is being kind to you! Cheers, Derek
 

HI Goils!

Just a quick note to thank you for deposit! Glad you can afford to feed The Furry Stalker! Have to go as breakfast is served. Mr Fixit's frittata! Love Dad! 

my preference is for Nov 3rd VL

I'm good with either the 27th or the 3rd. 8^) cheers, Mark
Thanks, George
In case their are other audiophiles out there in NRBC land, I got a copy (mp3) of Blood's a Rover through the BC Libraries website. 





[BTW, this virtually guarantees I will have read the book cover-to-cover by the next meeting. Or is that will have 'read virtually'?] 8^) cheers, Mark

Hi Patricio,
Please! do not apologise for not getting in touch sooner as I’m completely remiss in not responding to your last couple of emails. I have enjoyed your diaries very much and chip away at reading them as much as I can. Truth is I have been incredibly busyand barely able to keep up with life’s everyday tasks as well as work related things.  I happen to be working with someone I highly respect  who is using the absolute leading edge technology to build our mechanical contraptions using hydraulics and computers etc and am trying to keep up. All this on the biggest budget feature film ever produced here to the tune of 300 million! so far but I’m sure will far exceed that.  Not that film is everything and quite the contrary but it is a finite thing and will be winding down by early December. the other good thing is that I will have put myself in a position to take some substantial time off and look after my own life,ideas, etc.
I have gotten a couple of estimates for Chloe’s desk unit which frankly are totally cost prohibitive. I will field a couple more estimates to see if there’s something more reasonable and we’ll see what we can do.
Have to get ready for work again  , Please keep me posted on your trip . I am really glad you have had such a great time and look forward to seeing you guys and hearing lot’s more. Take care, Al

Greetings from Meilhan-sur-Garonne, about 80 km south of Bordeaux!

Trust everyone is well. Glad to hear you are busy but enjoying your work. Sounds pretty interesting so will be quite curious to hear about it when we finally connect. Don't worry, overmuch, about Chloë's desk, especially when you are so busy. She's waited for more than ten years so a bit longer won't matter!

Canal de Garonne Gran Fondo!


Went for my longest ride, to date, today. Simply magical along Le Canal de Garonne for about 50 km and then I did a loop back as tow path finishes at Castets-en-Dorthe. At this point out type of hire boats are not allowed to enter the Garonne itself. Impressive river at this point. I got a great view of its wide expanse and the channels between long sandbars when first crossing over a bridge leading to La Réole, a fairly large place from the looks of it as I rode through, noticing the huge fortress/châteauâ looming over the town. Crossed back over the river after leaving La Réole, riding for about 5 km on a busy road. However, very wide shoulder and terrific surface so I whizzed along, basically slight downhill grade, making my way back, on much quieter roads to Meilhan to see if Damazan had arrived.

This was at about 1:30 pm but no sign of pirate crew so I continued heading south, back towards the village of Damazan, not far from where I started my ride, but this time I followed the small roads which run parallel and right beside the canal. All went very well and it was most pleasant countryside, rich farmland, mainly corn and fruit trees of some sort although not vineyards on this side of the river. I proceeded south until I had about 98 km on the clock and then turned around, through tall, waving fields of corn, farm dogs not happy with my dipsy-doodle incursion. Then took at a slight jog towards Marmande but turned back after a few km as traffic became increasingly heavy. I suppose this larger centre draws such traffic.

Short while later fairly strong head wind became fiercesome and just as I was approaching Pont des Sables the heavens opened. I just had time to put my camera under my vest and zip it closed before deluge hit. Was like taking a shower under Niagara Falls! Other than the fact that I was almost completely soaked it was actually rather spectacular. The huge plane trees which line, magnificently, the canal, acted like a green filter as the torrential rain sluiced through them. Didn't last all that long but nevertheless I was drenched. Sun came out shortly and I was now riding in a light sun shower with blue sky and a distant rainbow to keep me company.

Took this as a good omen and coupled with the three magnificent herons I'd seen early on in my ride, my heart was high, my spirit unbroken as I clicked off the distance towards 120 km. Hit the Captainerie in Meilhan with just under my goal and saw Sarge walking towards me. They had just docked about 15 minutes before. I took the small lane beside the docking area for a final dipsy doodle to bring up my to ride total to desired goal!

Stats for ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/386007317#.UlD1_cK61z0.email

Celebrated with plenty of Pastis before dinner, let me tell you. And then more wine, from Buzet,, with fabulous pork loins, marinated in my balsamic/olive oil/garlic/mustard concoction, by Flamin', which Mr Fixit bbq'd on grill available for cruisers. Wonderful, wonderful ending, (in spite of my falling flat on my face, on the upper deck, after tripping over the lip of the hatch, breaking a wine glass but not spilling a drop of wine, (or blood from shards of glass), from the two bottles of red I was carrying to clamouring throats on the Flying Bridge!), to the day, finishing off with some bridge before we turned in around 11:00 pm.

Pics: Desserts from Augerge du Goujon in Buzet, Friday night; canal scenery; Navigator at start of yesterday's ride; typical ecluse; grill with Mr Fixit's Bourbon; Il Conduttore after The Fall from Grace; typical dinner, (breakfast, only a light rosé, and lunch!), table!



Stats for Gran Fondo ride!


http://connect.garmin.com/activity/386007317#.UlBUcCr_WoQ.email 

Hello Mr Patrick Dunn,
 
Thank you to have chosen my apartment for your stay in Paris from 15th to 17th October 2013 !

The adress is 13, rue Quincampoix 75004 Paris

The main door code is :

Ring at "NICOLAS" and I will open to welcome you.

I will be at the apartment from 14h00 (2.00 pm)

The usual times for arrival (check-in) are 14h00 to 20h00 (For a check-in after 20h00, there is an additionnal expense of 50 Euros)

The departures times (check-out) are 08h00 to 11h00 (For a check-out before 08h00, there is an additionnal expense of 50 Euros )
Best regards, Rebecca NICOLAS

Stats for Saturday's ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/386007317#.UlD1_cK61z0.email

No comments:

Post a Comment