Sunday 13 October 2013

Chabeuil Bad Boy Blues: Sunday, October 13th

Standard English is a convenient abstraction, like the average man. -George Leslie Brook, English professor, author (1910-1987)


Dear Corinne and Pat

Congratulations to you Vancouvers!  Alice Munroe got finely the Nobel price!  She deserves the price, does she?     

We hope that you are well, busy and travelling a lot past summertime? We are fine, had trips to Goethes Weimar, Bruxelles and the Italian Riviera. Now, being grandparents to Lia, we will have her one day a week.

Best whishes, much Love to all of you!   Eveline


Sunday was a very lazy day. I spent most of the morning and early afternoon doing laundry and repacking while Rosemary and Cora Lee walked into Chabeuil. I planned to leave all of my biking gear with R/A so wanted to wash all my cycling togs after they'd done yeoman's service along the Canal de Garonne and environs. Just for the record, I scored a hat trick over last three days aboard Damazan, riding over 100 km on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday:


Wednesday, October 9th's ride stats:


http://connect.garmin.com/activity/388094564#.UlWfxgaOZ6s.email


Thursday, October 10th's ride stats:


http://connect.garmin.com/activity/388568968#.UlcXpdQk4UI.email 



Friday, October 11th's ride stats:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/388835466#.UlgpRUQnGYg.email

Once I had sorted most of the gear I was leaving behind, I helped Andre move some of the small rocks he is using to construct the wall of his impressive boules pitch. With a wheelbarrow we sorted various sizes for different parts of the pitch and had just about finished with the last remaining bits and pieces when The Sisterhood returned from their extended walk. We then repaired inside and had a more than delicious lunch of various cold cuts, cheeses and delicious tomatoes and chutneys/pickles, all grown/preserved by Andre.


Just finished a tour of the Acropolis Amazing to go back to 500 BC.with Peggy Connors and 2 others at Central Athens Hotel.

Hotel · Athens, Greece


After this wonderful meal I went back downstairs to finish my repacking. Had given my bike a good cleaning on Friday after I was back from my ride so didn't really need to do anything with it. Pleased with progress I'd made I had a glorious nap for about an hour and a half. Around 4:00pm Rosemary told me it was time to get up and the two of us walked into the village to take a look at the event, held in the town's cultural centre, "Ten years ago, ten years after", celebrating the 10th anniversary of the International Conference Tintin. (Rosemary and Cora Lee had seen it advertised on their walk.) Never was able to discover why this event started in Chabeuil but since I'm a Tintin fan, I was delighted by this chance. Of course, I was hoping that there would be fridge magnets available for sale!


Conference was starting to wind down when we arrived so we didn't even have to pay the €3 entry fee. We sat in on a presentation, all in French, but reasonably easy to follow the slides, having to do with the ways in which Hergé's iconic red rocket, Destination Moon/Objectif Lune), has been used in popular culture. Then wandered around the kiosks selling Tintin memorabilia, everything from costumes to figurines of all the characters, ships, vehicles, etc. Magnets that were being sold were as complete sets, one around €90. Funnily enough, I had two of the ones included, bought when in Cannes with Mom in 1993. Still, it was great to have been part of this able to witness this gathering of enthusiasts and followers of Snowy and Captain Haddock.


Back home by 5:00pm I decided I'd go for a short ride and so suited up and headed out. Knew a bit about the area as we'd ridden a number of times when we'd visited in 2012 with Flamin's and Sarge. Had used their small, foldable bikes then and I must say i was quite impressed with where we had ridden after this outing. Hadn't really appreciated how far we had had to climb on the hills behind Chabeuil. On my Navigator, with all its gears, it was not a big deal but still a good grind, at times. On the five or so gears of the other bikes it was certainly more of a struggle. Nevertheless, I was pleased to have been able to revisit the route, and a bit more, and would certainly love to explore this region in the way I did the villages and countryside around Neffiès. Stat's for Sunday's ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/389974085#.UmFHssVR4KI.email

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/389974085#.UlrgwhheBjY.email


Once home I found Cora Lee still asleep, (She'd instructed me not to disturb her when I was back from my walk!), so I roused her and we joined Rosemary and Andre upstairs for pre-dinner drinks, malt for the Lads and white wine for The Babes. Another incredible meal from Andre, a stuffed roast of pork, with a vegetable cassoulet and a green salad I'd thrown together. Couple more bottles of red from our travelling wine cellar and we were all happy as clams. We sat around the table, after the leisurely meal, continuing to chat and before we knew it, it was close to 11:30pm. Andre had to be up reasonably early for a doctor's appointment next day and Cora lee and I were planning a quick run to Châteauneuf-du-Pape, about an hour and a half away, to the south, for a spot of wine-tasting, so we bade each other goodnight and made for our bedrooms. Once I'd brushed and flossed I even managed a chapter or two of M is for Malice, helping Kinsey to track down the person who murdered Guy Malek, before I switched off my bedside lamp, Cora Lee already in Dreamville.

Hi Pat,

I managed to lose your latest email re amongst other things, my traveling to California in November to visit with you.

Unfortunately, Denise and I are going to be sunning and surfing in Hawaii in the latter half of November. Prior to that in late October we are visiting NYC and the Toronto area. These trips are of course the main reason we didn't join you in France in Sept.

We would love to have you and Cora Lee over for dinner in December if  possible? Happy Canadian Thanksgiving from the Grosses -in blue skies and  colourful trees. Bill.


We the People ARE the government; the government is us, not our enemy. Unless, of course, we let it slip through our fingers.....



Greetings P and C,

Thanks for the update, you guys are definitely always on the go and great to read your stories.

There has been a lot happening down here. I had a stab at the recent Federal Election running for the seat of Sydney as the endorsed candidate for a new party Palmer United. Although I didn't win my seat, I came 4th out of 9 candidates, I even beat the Christians!! There was a little bit of controversy post election (which you can view).

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/qa-controversy-clive-palmer-under-fire-over-question-from-his-own-partys-candidate-20130917-2twaa.html

Never the less after all of those issues I landed a great job with the Northern Territory Government in Tourism, based here in Sydney. Have a look at our site. www.territorydiscoveries.com

Maybe it's time you come down to go up! Love to you both and the gang and chat soon. All the best, Tiptoe!!

No comments:

Post a Comment