Sunday 25 August 2013

Blackwater Blues: Sunday, August 25th, Ayn returns to Tinsel Town!

What you didn't know!!


Hi Patrick! 

Sorry missed your call. Chloe dropped by after work to pick up answer phone messages and yours was one. Haven't had much time to take a breath since arriving! Had a very enjoyable evening at Chloe's this week. Good to catch up with Steve and Myah, Lisa and Shaun, Rhona and Lawrie and to meet Rhona's mum who is here from Scotland.

We are hoping to take a breather this week. We have to go over to Krissy's bosses place tomorrow afternoon for a get together. Some sort of going away party for his daughter. I have been instructed to make something to take! Gayle wants to take the open high speed whale watching boat this week from GI and we plan on taking a few hikes. We are away with the kids to Vancouver Island over the weekend including Porter but won't have time to go to Nanoose Bay to visit Steve and Linda. We plan on taking the float plane over at a later date to see them.

Mark is off today but Krissy is working. We have just finished breakfast so heading off to Mark's to take the dog for a hike. They have plans this evening so we said we would dog sit for them!

Gayle is at the door urging me to get going so best do as she says! Greetings to all Derek



Hello Whirl-Wind Party-Goers, High-Speed, Open-Boat Whale Watchers to be, Float-Plane, Nanoose Bay Bound People!

Pleased to learn that you will be taking a "breather" this coming week as I've needed to be resuscitated three times already, just reading about your New World exploits! Thanks for the picture of Chloë's child. Corinne is simply delighted to learn of her grandson, as am I, of course! I assume you and Gayle are the godparents! Good thing as what you don't know is that the Sale Agreed sign just went up yesterday at Sydney House. Maureen and Bill have been very co-operative and feel that dealing with us as owners, (possession is 9/10ths of the law, according to English Common Law, dear friend!), rather than you, (you spoiled, youngest child), legal matters will go far more smoothly and that they will receive more than their fair share of the selling price! With our, somewhat smaller split, once the sale has been finalized, we'll be able to help support Chloë and our grandchild and still travel extensively. although we'll probably be doing house-exchanges with Gudrun and Steve, from now on. Fortunately, for us, since The Islay Inn is on leased land, you'll find nobody will want to buy it!!! Checkmate! I knew watching Game of Thrones would help with real world. Plan to watch Rome this evening so perhaps I'll take on The Millionaires next!



Have had such a wonderfully busy time with Ayn here, this past week that I'm desperately behind in my correspondence and diary keeping. Have almost lost track of what day of the week it is but here are a few snippets from this past week:

Hope you are able to breath more easily this coming week now that you know you don't have a home to worry about anymorere! Thanks for the unstinting generosity, giving us the clothes off your backs, so to speak! Fondestos from Cora Lee and Ayn. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Land's End and Minack and Spudnik with his Keeper; Mike and Penny at Knightor; St Austell wastrels; bbq and dinner last night; Cora Lee cradling her baby after dinner, at the table!


Pat, Hope you and Corinne are still enjoying your time on the west coast. Wonderful summer here. Sylvia and I spent a couple of days at Whistler last week and cycled around some of the lakes and rivers. Spectacular properties in the Green Lake area. We stayed in the 'Upper Village' and it was quite a climb on the bikes on return to the hotel which was nicely located adjacent to the chair ride with a decent pool and hot tub. What wasn't so nice was the $23 overnight parking fee. Noticed numerous road cyclists wearing long socks in the warm weather. Must be helpful in keeping important muscles functioning optimally. Dropped in to Alice Lake on return. What a beautiful area for swimming and although the camp site was full, there was only one family on the beach.
 

I've done very little cycling. Haven't got around to contacting your exchangees at this point. This week I have indoor house painting for a friend of Sylvia's in North Van, starting some tutoring, and 2 medical appointments. Probably not much need as I feel better again.
You might have noticed the passing of Elmore Leonard last week. I've read some great things about how he was able to write so well. He passes off his skill by saying that he just wrote what people said. His first book was rejected so many times, it's a wonder he didn't give in.
Your time in Cornwall must be coming to a close soon. Enjoy it to the full. Ray

Just took a bubble bath and had a burger...lovely train ride with both seats to myself all the way! Room was three times what everyone estimated but the bed is lovely and I am watching a mystery on BBC2

Thank you both so very much for such a lovely summer getaway that I will never forget...back to Tinsel Town I go!!! Love Ayn


Hi Tinsel Town Bound Mama!

Glad to learn that all went well with train/bus and now you are ruly enjoying Luxury! Sheer Luxury!

Spudnik happened to come into the kitchen, complaining, as usual, just as I opened your message. We had been watching the new series of Vera with Brenda Blythyn. Time for bed shortly as we will collect Penny and Madcap tomorrow at 10:00 am. Think Nana wants to go to Newquay and they'll spend day with us. Their train doesn't leave until 6:00 pm so will give us a chance to take our time wherever we decide to go, whatever we decide to do.

Came straight home after we left you at the station. I cleaned up the kitchen, put on two loads of laundry and then
worked on catching up on The Diaries. Nana, of course, rested her sore left hip on the chaise lounge, reading. Even had to bring her her hat as she was too, too comfortable to move! About 4:00 pm I suited up and went for a grand ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/365037477#.UhpSCb_YAuQ.email

Followed my tried and true 20+ KPH route to Carnon Downs but once I'd reached Perranwell Station I continued along Greenwith Road towards Frogpool, avoiding the dreaded Greenwith Hill, but choice, not by chance, as I wanted to see where the road would take me, never having ridden this way before. As it turned out I still had to climb a hill but not nearly one as steep so I was soon hrough Frogpool and making for Pulla Cross. When I reached a busy intersection, the A393, I turned around and retraced my steps and turned towards United Downs Industrial Estate, a route I'd done once before so I knew where I was by the time I saw signs for Carharrack and St. Day. Somewhere beyond Crofthandy there was some sort of raceway and as I approached the exit it became obvious that the meet was over and spectators were pouring out of the grounds, making for their cars, many parked along the wide verge which ran along the road at that point. Knew I was going to have to worry about heavy traffic for a bit but when most of the vehicles took turnoff to the B3298 I had the road into Chacewater almost to myself.

Turning left onto High Street I made my way out of the outskirts of Chacewater and retraced the route I'd followed earlier. Much easier climb out of the town than Chacewater Hill, going the other way towards Carnon Downs, so I was soon back near Scorrier and then followed the, by now, standard Wheal Rose/Porthtowan route, throwing in an extra, small loop around Skinners Bottom before making for the start of the larger loop which would eventually take me to Mount Hawke. Not sure if I was on autopilot by this time or not but before I knew it I was heading back to Porthtowan and I really didn't want to go there and the hill climbs that that route entailed. This being the case I turned around in Towan Cross, the community before Porthtowan, and made for Mount Hawke. Coming at the village from direction I knew I'd have to climb into the town but also knew that the hill waiting beyond the "Weak Bridge" at the bottom of the drop out of Towan Cross was not overly punishing. Revised my opinion, slightly, after making it into Mount Hawke. While the hill is not overly steep it does go on, seemingly forever, at this stage of my ride, at least.

Anyway, I was back where I wanted to be and hurtled down the hill out of Mount Hawke into Skinners Bottom. Easy climb from there and I was soon back on East Hill and making for Blackwater. Rode to the Post Office in order to add a bit of distance to the reading on my odometre and was very pleased to hit the parking lot at Sydney House with 63.72 K on the clock. Once I'd put my bike inside I took all the garbage and recycling downstairs, ready for Maureen to put out on the curb on Monday morning. Cora Lee had started dinner by then, (broccoli with cheese sauce, gluten-free sausages and warmed, sliced beets. I was bout to take a shower when Nana called Chloë so I held off showering until I'd chatted with her. Once conversation was over I enjoyed a nice hot shower and was out just in ti,me to see the start of Vera. Helped myself to scrumptious dinner fixings during first commercial break and quite enjoyed the season's opener. Hope we can watch the next episode in London, a week today, night before we both leave for France!

Time for bed as I'm sleepy and I'd like to try and read a chapter or two before turning out the light. Fondestos and Love from Nana, (She's probably already asleep as it's 12:40 am now!), and Papa "We Don't Need No Stinkin' Navigators, Mummy Dearest!" Really, truly glad you had such a wonderful holiday. So did we!! And Spudnik who climbed up onto the table to be brushed, a short time ago. He even drooled on the glass table top, much to Nana's disgust, he was purring so ferociously! 


No comments:

Post a Comment