Sunday 11 August 2013

Blackwater Blues: Monday, August 12th

You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Naguib Mahfouz, writer, Nobel laureate (1911-2006) 



Up at 7:30am. Left Coriandre to sleep, to rest her back. No sign of Spudnik when I came into the kitchen. Need to buy milk today as used last few drops to make my morning Instanto. BBC 2 blaring so I'll have to fiddle with tin-foil to see if I can regulate the volume. Fortunately, I've closed all the doors between kitchen and bedrooms so Coriandre is compartmentalized, sealed away from the sounds of the radio. However, traffic noise, (front street is just outside both bedroom windows), may insist itself into her tender sleep.    


Hello Tour Guides Extraordinaire!

Thank you both, once again, not only the fabulous day on Saturday but also for the wonderful, wonderful evening last night. It was a delight to see your very comfortable and inviting house and backyard. Oops, garden I mean! The meal, everything from the tasty appetizers to the delicious salmon, on its succulent bed of mashed beans and spinach, to the deliriously decadently dessert was so good we'd like to reserve a table for next Saturday! Thanks again.

As you can tell, we made it home, doing so without the slightest hitch. Due to road infrastructure, we soon discovered it was even easier to get back to Blackwater than to drive to Pool, as I know you know.

Look forward to ride and tour at Camel Valley on Thursday so imagine we'll be in touch, one way or another, beforehand. Chapter I of The Lizard Diaries below, should you suffer from insomnia! Fondesos from Cora Lee. Cheers, Patrizzio, Noted Local Author, (Adopted), Yet to be Discovered!!!

Pics: Just a few snaps from Saturday and yesterday.

The Lizard Diaries or How I Learned to Love Chough Bitter!

Hello Islay Innites, Sock Walkers, De-Clutterers and other Werewolf Folk, (Chloë's evil red eyes in patio photo)!

Glad all seems to be going well. (Same this side of the pond, thank you very much!) Sarge can help with bike keys. Have you had time to see any of Clan Sutherland? If you press the address button on the phone an alphabetical display of stored numbers should appear. Give Ray, Whirlygig or Ragin' a call if you are interested in a ride, when back from sailing the Seven Seas, or beforehand, for that matter.

Just curious if you have figured out where most things are. (Kitchen garbage bags are in laundry room, tucked under the green counter, behind bar fridge, per esempio!) How have you managed to launch yourselves into bed? Can you find each other, once there? Any trouble logging in to our WiFi? Have you tried using either of our computers? Please help yourself to all the beer in bar fridge. Most of it was brought over by either Chloë or her friends and is there for the taking. I've actually had more beer/ale here than I normally drink in Canada. Of course I'm keen to try local product here but I really haven't drunk much beer since I stopped playing squash.

Had a truly wonderful day's outing with G/S on Saturday and then a terrific visit/meal next day at their place. Cora Lee is planning a day with Gudrun in Truro tomorrow, leaving Spudnik to help me vacuum.

Cora Lee's back is still very stiff and sore so a bit of a worry as it may well prevent her from participating in many of the things we hope to do when Ayn is here. Anyway, will cross that bridge when we come to it. Time for my ride. Want to ride at least 60 K as I only had time for 40 K yesterday. Fondestos from the Canadian Patient. Cheers, Patrizzio!

PS: How are the Sunshine Coast Overhangs? This is message I sent to Gudrun and Steve:


Hi White Water Woman!

I'm very impressed with your derring-do! Bravo! Onward!! Fight!!! Glad you are exploring Vancouver as well. I'm a bit like you, inasmuch, with my extended cycling of last few years I've discovered parts of Vancouver and the surrounding municipalities that I never even knew existed! Makes me even more appreciative of our wonderful city and environs. However, I must say that both Yorkshire, Cumbria, Devon and Cornwall, at least the parts we've seen of these counties, really are wonderful. First time we've ever spent so much time outside of London and I know we are already planning where to visit on future trips. It will be terrific to have Ayn, (She arrives this Friday for ten days.), to show some of the places we've already visited because it will give us a chance to explore in ways that one usually cannot do on first visit.


Should you care to read on here is one of the latest installments and some pics to go with it.
Fondestos from The Canadian Patient. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Flamin', (aka Wedding Woman and more!), et al!

Thanks for reminder about Destination Wedding BUT Famiglia Durston/Vogt/Dunn will be making our own flight/accommodation arrangements, due to recently imposed budgetary restraints and the unprecedented, astronomical rise in malt prices!

Trust you are managing as well as can be expected after your Mother's death. Although we've already expressed our condolences, heartfelt sympathy, once again.

Hope you have a chance to visit with Gayle and Derek. I know they are almost as busy as you folk but I'm sure you would enjoy their company, especially since I'm not around! Time to fill Coriandre's wine glass as she's calling from the Lounge! In case you are having trouble sleeping, in the aftermath of your cast removal, I've included one of the latest installments of the Blackwater Blues and some pics to go with it.Fondestos from The Canadian Patient. Cheers, Patrizzio, Noted Local Author, (Adopted), Yet to be Discovered!!!
But to more important matters. My devoted reading audience is so, so demanding but I love every one of them. Guess that makes about about two people!

PPS: Sarge, could you send along Andrew Sredzki's phone number if Chloë has already passed along my address book to you in order that might to bring to Agen! If not, you will find it stored in our phones. Perhaps you could write it down, (and send it along), when you are pilfering the malt collection and returning the blanket to The Annexe!



Read On, Dear Reader: The Lizard Diaries or How I Learned to Love Chough Bitter!  

Hi Raymond, Sylvia, (and East Coast Non-Correspondent)!

Delighted to hear you seem to be back to your normal self, Robo Man, in spite of your need for a nap! I was a tad worried when I'd not heard anything from you after your last medical appointment.

What a fabulous car! You should be on Foyle's War! Puts today's cars to shame. What an incredible beauty! You can do weddings at Stanley Park after you finish tutoring!!!

I'm jealous of your reading! I had fully intended to finish all the books I've managed to find at various charity shops since we've been in England. No time! Instead of discarding as I go, I've already acquired a small library and can't bear to part with any of them. Most are in near pristine condition. Guess I'll have my Old Age cheques forwarded to the UK over the winter and live next to a railway embankment somewhere! I can burn the books I've read to keep warm and heat up cans of beans at the same time. All I need will be some HP Sauce. Certainly beats having lattes in Steveston by a country mile!
Cheers, Patrizzio

Hi Goils!

Just a few quick comments: Ayn, I suggest you try to find an expensive Highland Malt. Islay malts might be too harsh for you but I'll leave it up to you. As I mentioned, I'll cover the cost but will have to charge double for your room and board! Chloë, send money, lots of it!
Fondestos from Nana, The Canadian Patient! Cheers, Dad, Noted, Beloved Local Author, (Adopted), Yet to be Discovered!!! 

Hello, for the third time, Bob! Consider yourself re-contacted! Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hello LL and Jugos DP! Not sure where you are, at the moment, but trust you are both well, no matter your earthly co-ordinates! 

Hello Manitoba! Trust everyone is well, no matter your earthly co-ordinates! 

Hello Lads! Trust you are both well, no matter your earthly co-ordinates! Sorry you can't join me in France, Ragin', but understand. Glad you are finally starting to track your rides. You'll soon be afraid to touch The Burning Ground! How goes your summer, Dennisovitch? Looking forward to Beau Soleil but enjoying Cornwall muchly. 

Hello Kjell! Pleased to learn that you are now firing on all cylinders! Trust junket to outermost archipelago went well. 

Hello Chris and Jim! Trust that you are now firing on all cylinders, Jim!   

Hi Patricio,



Thanks for your wonderfully detailed and accurately described narrative of your day in Southernmost.  It was almost as good as being there with you and Corinne.  Definitely one of your best diary days.  We’re very sorry to hear that Corinne’s back is giving her problems.  All our sympathy and hugs of course.



Lynne and I got home last night after an 11 hour 40 minute drive from Edmonton via the Yellowhead Highway.  That was about the longest driving day I’ve ever done, but it was a total pleasure driving Lynne’s very responsive little red Lexus.  Lynne had a few nervous moments in the passenger seat,  when oncoming cars recklessly passing were a bit tardy getting back into their own lane.



It was the first time I’d driven most of that route.  We were really impressed by Mount Robson, a really massive, gorgeous mountain.  My other big impression was the incredible devastation caused by the 2003 fire in Barriere.  As you probably remember, Barriere is a mill town about 40 km north of Kamloops on the North Thompson River.  Some bright person, who was later prosecuted, accidentally started a fire in his back yard.  The fire totally wiped out the forest on both sides of the river for a stretch that seemed to us to be something like 10 km, to say nothing of burning down the mill that was the town’s livelihood.



The purpose of our trip to Edmonton was to attend Ann Curry’s 65th birthday.  Gary had arranged a unique event.  After a catered meal in the penthouse party room of the luxury apartment building they live in, all the guests ( I think about 35 people) made their way down to the street and about a block away where we boarded a restored antique streetcar operated by the local historical streetcar society.  We proceeded across the High Level Bridge over the North Saskatchewan River, and to the streetcar museum where they have a fabulous collection of streetcars from a number of places around the world, as well as some from the Edmonton system which operated from 1908 until about 1957.  After our visit to the museum, we proceeded back across the bridge, and finally stopped on the bridge for champagne, birthday cake and silly presents opening.  A very nice evening, with a number of librarian types including Donna _____ from Lynne and Corinne’s class and her mate Tony.



Summer is very busy.  The grapes seem to be in constant need of pruning, I’m trying to play some golf (two tournaments this coming week), and we’re having several visitors in the remaining few weeks before our Asia trip on September 9.  I had a quick trip to Vancouver last week to attend the funeral of my old boss Earle Klohn who died at age 86.  He was quite a legendary character and a top engineer.  The funeral was a good opportunity to catch up with a lot of old friends and colleagues.  Weather here has been really warm.  We’re currently overwhelmed with ripe peaches and tomatoes, along with all kinds of other garden produce.   



Hope all your travels go well and that Corinne gets back in top form. Un abrazo, Pedro

thanks for this .patrick.have you got your new bike yet?very funny story of englands greatest artist.spectacular scenery but how come no pictures of the paintings.?weather fantastic here.bonus with alexa home at moment but about to head off again minus her cat.glad you are enjoying things .hi to corrinne;matt 

Hi Patrizzio,
Well, after several days of reading I was finally able to catch up with your adventures. I’m very glad to see you’re having such an interesting and enjoyable time over there. The pictures are great and really neat to see some landscapes and  other things that you wouldn’t normally see as in the glossy brochures of guards at Buckingham or Big Ben or the Queen waving from some horse drawn carriage! . That area of the world does sound so interesting and I look forward to checking it out at some point. We will try and get a hold of your friends if only to say hello and or maybe have some tea.
I am off to Pinscher Creek, Alberta to do some filming on the show. It’s less than a week and I’m going with some great people so it should be fun. Colleen Passed her Grade 11 math course with an over 80% average so she is much relieved to say the least as it was really tough , we are very proud of her for her accomplishment as well. She is off to the cabin with the boys today probably for the week and I will get up there on my return. I spoke to my boss and told him over the weekend that I absolutely have to get some time off before the end of August and he was fine with it so I was relieved and look forward to spending some time up at the cabin with them as well.
I still haven’t shopped the plans around for the desk unit but will get that done upon my return, Happy trails and keep us up to date on your adventures. give our xoxo’s to Corrine.
Cheers, xo

Hi Giorgio and The Traveling Sisterhood, as opposed to The Traveling Wilburys!

Believe I'm guilty of anatopism in my descriptions of rides here in Cornwall. I keep thinking I know where I am, only to learn I'm not! Quite Alice in Wonderlandish at times, as I often feel as if I've stepped Through the Looking-Glass to face all the complex, branching puzzle of lanes, offering multiple choices of path and direction that one finds hereabouts. I don't think I've taken a single ride in which I've actually followed the course I had in mind. I inevitably take a left turn at a roundabout when I should have taken a right, or miss a side lane as the sign post is either non-existent or overgrown with foliage, or become so disoriented that I head off in a direction completely opposite to one which I imagined I was bearing towards! Still, makes for very interesting outings and I am delighted, as you might suspect, when I actually find my way home. Today's ride was a case in point!

Didn't set off until just after 2:00pm, although I was up at 7:30am to spend the first part of the day trying to overcome the growing backlog of unanswered messages and growing guilt over unfinished daily diary entries. Of course, such activity and concern elicits nothing but disbelief and vitriolic mockery from The Canadian Patient who would rather I minister to her and her sore back! (Pleased to report, on this front, that progrees, though slow, towards a full recovery is being made. In the interim Coriandre seems hale and hearty enough to be able to bark out orders for another cup of tea, another gluten-free crumpet with Cornish clotted cream and fresh strawberries, as she lounges, in the Lounge, watching day-time British soaps as replacement therapy for The Young and The Restless, (recorded she hopes), daily afternoon sessions with Maggie on her lap, back at The Islay Inn!

In fact, by the time I was suited up, Cora Lee was sunning in the flower-perfumed back garden, so glorious was the day, propped on a chaise lounge, with her book, Spudnik, stretched luxuriously on the sun-warmed bricks of the patio, for company. Leaving the two to care for one another, it was my intention to follow a number of the lanes around Skinners Bottom, (One of the wonderful names that abound, not only here in Cornwall, but everywhere in England, as I'm sure you know.), presuming, wholeheartedly believing I knew where they connected with routes I'd ridden quite a few times since being here. Following my nose I was pleased to find myself in Mount Hawke, a neighbouring community, having taken known approaches, ones traversed, to a greater or less degree, over the last few rides.

Once there my real adventure began as I decided to follow the road leading out of town, towards St Agnes, a particular approach I'd not followed before, although I'd been there numerous times. Wonderful descent out of Mount Hawke and climb out of valley bottom wasn't overly taxing. Found myself in a gorgeous tree tunnel, somewhere near Goonbell, (another winner!), I surmise, and then I was back on familiar ground and descending into St Agnes.

Brave soul that I now believed myself to be, I turned right at the first roundabout, (on past rides I'd gone to the left), and was pleased to realize I'd been this way with Derek on one of our first rides together. This being the case I decided to throw caution to the wind and determined to ride to Perranporth, about six miles away, a town on the radar but as yet unvisited. Trundled along relishing the sunshine and not having to battle any headwind! Only thing that was not particularly enjoyable was the amount of traffic whizzing by, much of the time. I was on B3284 and although this is a secondary road in terms the Great Britain's road numbering scheme used to classify and identify roads, the traffic density was probably higher due to the fact that it is summer and the highways and byways are clogged with scores of pesky tourists, many of whom were probably going to or coming from Perranporth, a small seaside resort town, about six miles southwest of Newquay, another popular holiday destination.

Nevertheless, I am fairly comfortable riding under such circumstances so I persevered, descending a long, long hill, (not as steep as the one into Porthtowan, however), to do but a tiny loop on the outer edge of the outskirts, noticing a busy set of streets, crowded with pedestrians, I assumed one would take to see more of the town. I knew I had a fairly good climb back up and still had about 35 K to complete, (60 K was my goal for the day's outing), so needed to get on with the ride.

Once back on the flats, green fields, clearly demarcated by the ubiquitous hedgerows, and rolling hills, dotted by darker patches, copses and thickets, I decided I'd head for St Agnes again but when I encountered a sign which promised to take me to Mithian, about a mile east of St Agnes, I thought I'd follow this new lead as I knew I could return to Blackwater via this village. However, I somehow missed taking one of turns I needed and found myself heading for Truro. Wasn't overly fussed as I knew, (hoped really), I could change tack, at some point, as I wasn't all that interested in riding there. When I came upon an intersection that allowed me to make for Newquay I decided to see what I could see.

Unfortunately, dope that I am, I didn't realize how busy the road, A3075, would prove to be and I quickly resolved to turn off it soon as I could. Just before Penhallow, with a little dextrous dipsy-doodling, I was able to head back the way I came and a short while later, in order to avoid a monstrous roundabout at Three Burrows, I turned off onto A390, slightly less busy, but which took me closer and closer and closer to Truro! In for a penny, in for a pound, I thought and reasoned I might as well see where I'd end up, having a vague mental map of the centre of town following the  visit there to have my crown re-cemented.

By the time I'd decided upon this course of action the road was beginning its long slope downhill and I wondered at my choice, trying to ignore the nagging voice whispering, "Foolishness! Foolishness!", in my deaf ears, for I knew, no matter how much I wished otherwise, I'd have to climb back up at some point, let alone navigate/negotiate the maelstrom of rush hour traffic I was sure to encounter. Adding to my growing sense of trepidation, when I reached the part of town that allowed me to see the spires of Truro Cathedral, I fetched up against a large roundabout I recognized as the one we'd first had to deal with when arriving in this seeming metriopolis on July 30th, a veritable lifetime ago. At this point, I knew I was beaten and cursing my stupidity, my stubborness, my sheer obstinacy, I turned off my trusty odometer and dismounted, Dear Reader!

Traffic was rather heavy, (it was around 5:00pm by then), lights were uncooperative and I didn't have much of an idea of how to extricate myself, as quickly, easily and as safely as possible, so I determined to ask directions of the first person who happened along. Turned out to be a very friendly young woman and she really was most helpful, giving me a number of options but strongly suggesting one, even though it entailed riding along a dual carriageway, as she felt it would provide more cycling room. She even told me how to reach a nearbye subway which took me under the carriageway to the side of the road I needed to be on. Thanking her profusely, I walked my bike the relatively short distance I needed to cover to start riding again. A few stops and starts at intervening roundabouts and then I was able to ride on the wide, bike allowed sidewalk, to the start of a long, reasonably steep hill leading out of town.

At this point I switched my Garmin back on, girded my loins, gritted my teeth, put my head down and "attacked" the hill. Not as bad, either the grade or the traffic, as I had feared and once I reached the top I felt pretty confident about knowing, roughly, where I was going. Hindsight tells me that I was probably on Morlaix Avenue out of Truro, up A390/Highertown  which turns into Tresawls Road, past Truro and Penwith College. Name changes to Higher Besore Road and just past the Truro Light and Light Church I turned left onto Chyvelah Road and this time I really did know where I was, Dear Reader! The scales fell from my eyes as I recognized the various caravan, holiday and camping parks I'd seen on my fateful attempt to ride to Trellissick. When the Chacewater Garden Centre appeared on my right I knew to turn right at the next intersection.

From this point on, I'm a bit embarrassed to admit, things are a bit hazy as I honestly cannot reconstruct my exact route home. I certainly recall riding over the "Weak Bridge", which spans the main rail-line but after that I remain confused as to how I actually found myself at a point where I knew I was, beyond the shadow of a doubt. (How many times have I said this, Dear Reader? [To add to my disorientation my otherwise trusty Garmin let me down and provides no record of the return from Truro to Blackwater. I can only presume that the shock of the Burning Ground short-circuited the satellite receptor chip. Fortunately the Distance-Ometer continued to limp along.] Nevertheless, when my
Post Burning Ground Traumatic Stress Syndrome induced amnesia finally lifted, I found myself heading for Mount Hawke and even knew which road I was on as the approach in question takes one through Skinners Bottom. Once past the collection of houses, (it isn't even a hamlet), I turned left, instead of proceeding straight ahead towards Scorrier, and rode all the way to the intersection of B3277 so that I had logged 61 K by the time I'd turned around. Taking N Hill down into Blackwater I went away from Sydney House, to the opposite end of the village to stop at the Blackwater Post Office & Store for a small container of milk. Needed Cornish Whole Milk from Happy Healthy Cornish Cows for my morning java! Ended up paying a waiting customer for my purchase, (so it could be added to her bill), as teenager on till has somehow locked the device and was waiting for someone to rescue her! Mini-jug safely stored in my camel pack, (now almost completely drained), I made my way back to Sydney House with 62.12 K on the clock, my longest overall ride, in Cornwall, to date, although not an official ride, unfortunately, sadly, Dear Reader!    

Perranporth to Truro and all points in between:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/357839255#.UgkjA7x8lP4.email

Cora Lee was ensconced on the sofa when I walked in but managed to shake off her languor  to put two yams in the oven and prepare a number of chicken breasts for the frying pan. I had a quick shower and changed into my rather becoming, fetching, (even alluring, come hither looking, if I do say so myslef), après-cycle wear and threw together a mixed salad. Chicken sizzling nicely on the stove, mouth-watering smells of the baking tubers filling the air, I opened a bottle of House Languedoc and took a brimming glassful into the Lounge for Her Royalness. Toasted her recovery with my own meagre portion and scurried back to the hob to prepare our plates. As Miss Lemon was watching a Poirot she's not seen before, I set up a small nesting table for her to eat upon. Brought her another glass of wine, this time from our last bottle of the silky Viñalba 2010 Cabbage, Malbec, Merlot, and left her to help Hastings and the Belgian Sleuth track down the murderer while I enjoyed the delicious dinner, reading  a number of my on-line newsletters.

Scullionated the kitchen after collecting M'Lady's dishes and returned to my kitchen table workstation to update the Diaries, as best I could. By 11:00pm, Cora Lee was rather sleepy, (her back was still uncomfortably sore), so she popped a couple of Paracetamol, had a hefty snort of my dwindling malt and retired to bed. I worked away on my sleek MacBook Air until about 1:00pm and then turned off late night BBC 2 and went to bed myself, reliving the Truro Nightmare, Burning Ground and all, as I slipped into welcome oblivion.

To be continued...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment