Saturday 28 December 2013

Mid-Morning Tourtière Blues: Saturday, December 28th

Danger and delight grow on one stalk. -English Proverb


Thanks to a lunar eclipse on the longest night of the year, tonight we'll be experiencing the longest, darkest night in a very long time. It's been nearly 500 years since the last solstice lunar eclipse. 
Lads,

love to join you but I am playing a match this morning at Evergreen and will probably ride to Evergreen on the north shore. Sunday morning may work for me although the forecast favours today. Enjoy, W

Hi Giorgio!

Buona Fortuna with Earthworms! Hello to them and a Healthy New Year on my behalf, please. Give me a shout later today and we'll chat about Sunday's ride. Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Hello, Patrick (quick note!) . . .

Would this afternoon work, 2ish? Alas, I have to decline your kind invitation for New Year's Day -- as is her custom, my mother is hosting a family dinner. This is in no way a stretch or a strain, as we all enjoy these get-togethers. But I would otherwise have been happy to join you too. Another time! Janet

P.S. Apologies for brevity, bordering on terseness. Busy morning

Hi Janet!

Sorry you will not be able to join us on New Year's Day but understand, of course. All the best to your family so gathered there.

Again, you are welcome to pop by today BUT not sure, at  this point, what I'll be doing, regarding Tourtière making with Joanne. She hasn't called in yet, as she said she would so I'm planning to call her as soon as I send this message. Funnily enough, she just, this minute, sent Corinne a message saying she is just off to the store for ingredients and will call when back. For her part, Cora Lee is off to VPL for more Friends work, processing donations, I believe.

Lastly, I do hope to ride as today is supposed to be the last dry day for a spell. Here is Joanne's number so you could call her if nobody is home at our place if you do decide to swing by. I suppose, not the very best time for a visit, given everyone's schedule/activities but you decide, based on your own errands, commitments, etc. Anyway, let me know what you think and we'll try to plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi, Patrick:

Like you, I am not yet sure how the day will unfold -- so my query was of a tentative nature. I am expecting friends from the Island around 11:30 a.m. -- not sure how long they will stay. Odds are seeming long that we will connect today, but I'll call if I do head in your direction. Hope the tourtiere turns out well! J.

Hi Patrick, Tonight sounds good. What time? Patrick


I enjoyed a lazy sleep-in until just before 9:00 am this morning and then was up to have my latest favourite, java with egg nog! Worked away at messaging until Joanne called to say she was back home with all the necessary ingredients for the Tourtière I was going to help her prepare. Cora Lee was going to go downtown to work on processing donations made to Friends of VPL so I bade her adieu at about 10:45 am and took the elevator upstairs to Joanne's suite on the 4th floor.
She had already started some of the food preparation and had the ground pork/beef simmering on the stove. My first task was to dice four oniones and I used her new PamperedChef fancy, smancy Food Chopper. I love cutting oniones of any kind and was soon an expert with the FC. Funnily enouhg it was Joanne who was soon weeping but the onions didn't affect me at all!
After this I was dispatched to the opposite counter to slice the lard into the flour which would eventually become the pie crust. Used a wedge-shaped masher to work the lard into the flour and when it has reached an "oatmeal" like consistency I folded in the liquid agent: one egg and a tea spoon of vinegar, I think, and then the remainder of the cup topped with water. Much like mixing cement but with a fork, at first. Once all the liquid had been added, gradually, about a fifth of a cup at a time, I used my hands to accomplish the final kneading. When I had formed a large ball, Joanne asked me to divide it into about five or six smaller balls and as I formed each one, she wrapped them in Saran and put them in the fridge to chill.

Joanne is a very harsh task mistress and immediately commanded me to repeat the same process again and wouldn't even let me sop to take a sip of java! Once I'd discharged this task I was ordered to mash the yellow potatoes which were to be added to the meat mixture, once both had cooled sufficiently. Mashing complete, I covered the bowl containing the spuds with Saran Wrap and placed it just outside the patio door.

By this time the meat was starting to smell pretty good and I was to be a guinea pig for the first taste test. To my palette the admixture had cloves aplenty but I admitted that I wouldn't be averse to more cinnamon. Once this spice was sprinkled over the meat, Joanne and I both allowed that a bit more salt might make the taste even better so we shut our eyes to to all the bad things that are said about sodium chloride and she added a couple of heaping tablespoons!

With taste now to her liking, Joanne planned to let the meat simmer on a low temperature for a couple of hours. After that she cools it down completely before she adds the potatoes. This being the case, all that could be accomplished, with my help, was finished and so she offered me a bite of lunch. While she carved a roasted chicken I did the few remaining dishes and by the time they were done, we served ourselves pieces of the bird and helpings of a quinoa salad she had on hand. Everything was delicious and I enjoyed the lunch, particularly since I was to go for a ride with Robo Man in little more than half an hour.

Thanking Joanne for the introductory lesson on how to make Tourtière, and for the lunch, we made plans to chat about New Year's Eve, (She is hosting the gathering for dinner which we have been invited to attend.), over the next day or so and then I made my way back to our place to suit up for the coming ride. Once I was dressed, I took my bike out onto the patio and cleaned the chain, as well as removing most of the sand which the frame had picked up during my last ride. I was just about to put on my cycling shoes when Robo Man arrived and a few minutes later we set off, making for Stanley Park.

Seawall was quite busy, almost the entire way to SP so our pace was slower than it might otherwise have been but it was such a lovely temperature that we couldn't really complain. Had not ridden with Raymond for some time, since before I went to California, so I was glad to be able to visit as we rode along. Ray hasn't been riding of late as he suffered a nasty chest infection before Christmas and it has taken him some time to fully recover. He mentioned that he was a bit worried about the Prospect Point Hill but I didn't notice any weakness on his part during the climb. He admitted, once we were back on the Seawall that he felt pretty good on the ascent so I was pleased to hear that, of course.

As we made our way back to The Islay Inn I asked Robo Man if he was planning to head for home once we reached Macdonald and he indicated that was what he would do. I had about 35 km on the clock by the time we reached Point Grey Road so I decided I'd head out to UBC. Waved goodbye to Ray, thanking him for the company, and set off for campus. I've not been on this route, again since before I went south, so it was fun to be back on what was has been a very, very regular route.

Not much head wind o speak of so I enjoyed Spanish Banks. Decided I'd ride to Crown, along Marine, and then I dipsy-doodled back through Musqueam to come back out on Marine but this time turning left on Crown to cross 41st and head back towards UBC. Knew I'd have just about 57 km on my odometre by the time I'd ridden up 16th and around the roundabout leading to Wesbrook Village and then back down to Marine. Was just before 4:00 pm when I approached the student residences along Marine and I had the necessary mileage to give me 70+km by the time I was home.

Swooped down the UBC Forseshore Hill and even managed to break 50 km/hr on the descent, although I couldn't better the 54.2 km/hr I'd reached zipping down the hill after Propsect Point. Still, very pleased with ride and now that the days are starting to lengthen it was still fairly light as I made my way back. Switched on my two led lights as I made my way along Locarno and before I knew it I was turning into The Heartbreak Terrace!

Stats for today's ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/420960048#.Ur-CXv5YVzA.email

Had a nice steaming mug of java, infused with more egg nog, (Don't know what I'm going to do once this container is empty and season is over!), and enjoyed a hot shower, although I must say that I was never uncomfortably cold at any time during the course of the ride.



Cora Lee informed me that Patrizzio Due was coming by around 7:00 pm but he had not appeared by 7:45 pm. Close to 8:00 pm by now so I think we'll sit down to dinner. Coriandre is to make an omelet, using some of the cherry tomatoes and bocconcini we had left over from a salad. Will warm up some of Chloë's fabulous dressing as well so my mouth is already starting to water!

No comments:

Post a Comment