Monday 23 December 2013

Last Minute Shopping Blues: Monday, December 23rd!

It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. -Voltaire, philosopher and writer (1694-1778) 

Jazz Vespers!

P, we return the warmest greetings of the season to you and yours. We should be around between Xmas and New Years and would love a visit with you guys. Maybe we can get Ray and Sylvia out.  


The GID that felled most of us seems to be abating. Lasterday was a grim affair with the walking dead inhabiting the place.  



Enjoyed the tree lot although it was very cold and wet. I dragged Amira along and we had fun.

Glad you were able to get a malted visit from the Swedish twins. Porch cleaner gets early adoption in the lexicon.



Locked onto the two latest Rankin - Rebus resurrected adventures. Fun as always but not the most uplifting reads.



Will regroup on the NRBC and try to find a date. 



Would like a ride later today if the weather dries up a little. Still feeling a little weak but I think I just need some fresh air. The WNW forecast is actually pretty good for the next week -- if they know anything. 



We are hosting a large and growing larger family gathering here tomorrow in the afternoon so I may be on a short leash today.We will confer later this morning, W


Is this a brilliant word or what...? and The sleep of reason produces monsters. -Francisco Goya, painter and printmaker (1746-1828)
 
Hi GID Zombie Stumbling through the MFZ!

Glad to hear that Battle of the Bug has turned in your favour! Didn't know that Amira had helped out at tree lot so please thank her as well.

On an even brighter note, fortunately, we are not servile flatters of reason, (The naming disorder is proof positive of this!),  so we sleep without visions of monsters dancing in our heads. On the negative side, however, we have to deal with these self-same monsters in everyday life, The Sisterhood insisting them on us with every waking breath! Wonder if Goya had a significant other. If so, all his fussing about "the sleep of reason" is simply bafflegab covering for the fact that he was constantly bombarded by The Goils barking out orders! He probably had to deal with the Paint Polizei as well. No wonder his work is so tortured. Basically self-portraits of cruel and unusual punishment. Apparently The Sisterhood were consulted on interrogation techniques for the Spanish Inquisition!


Note: For your eyes only. Burn after reading!

Great that you'll be around during hols. Great idea about Kale Man and Sylvia. I gather Jenny is coming home from London, with her partner, as well, I believe. If you do ride, be careful as I don't wish to receive a call should I be riding. I'll hear the ring but I couldn't possibly stop to answer unless you call three times in quick succession, indicating a true Emergency! I am no lickspittle of the cell! Cheers, I'm off to do the Monster Mash at Costco later! 


What a neat card. We enjoyed seeing you and having a visit. We are home safe and sound and now getting ready for Christmas. Have a wonderful Christmas and cheers for the New Year. Dawn and Gerry 

Stats for today's ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/419231181#.Urn-2VKnKTQ.email 

Errandos: 6.77 km/hr over 0:26'59 for an AVG 15.1 km/hr

Hi Donna Maria and Heraldo!

Glad you are safely home and readying yourselves for Santa! Wanted to thank you again, for lovely evening and your fab Riesling. Glad that Chloë was able to drop by. I know that she really appreciated the quilts and has already distributed them to two individuals who were most grateful. So thank you for that, of course. How did your Saturday event with your offspring/significant others go?
Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Dear Patrick and Corinne

Thank you so so much for a lovely dinner and your great company.  Really enjoyed catching up with you and Corinne. Also it was lovely to meet Joanne and to have an opportunity to visit with Joan and Paul.
 

Be sure to enjoy the remainder of the holiday season. Keep in touch and let's get together again in the New Year. Warm wishes as ever Jo-Anne

Hi Marps!

Glad you enjoyed evening. Great to dse Paul up and about. Thanks for taxi service!

I just sent a message to Dawn and Gerry Martin and took the liberty of passing along best wishes from you. They invited us for dinner last Wednesday and I would have invited them on Saturday but thy were in town specifically to see their daughter, Stacee, and son, Jeff. Traditionally, they have a family get-together in Vancouver before Christmas as they usually spend Xmas in Terrace, the place they consider home.

There was no reason for you to know it but Joanne was down earlier on Saturday and told us that her sister had just been diagnosed with terminal cancer. Simply devastating blow, as you can well imagine. At any rate, we insisted that she join us and am so pleased that she did. Just had a message from her: "Thanks again, it was very kind of you and certainly cheered me up!" Yet another reason to try to enjoy life and those around us.

Once again, all the best to you and Colin and your lads, Jo-Anne, for a Happy Christmas and a Healthy New Year. Hello and best wishes to all the "Curric Lab" folk I might know.
Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!


need a new ringtone?
I like the Minions BaNana

Thanks again, it was very kind of you and certainly cheered me up!  As always Joanne.

Hi JT!

Thank you for coming and bringing all the wonderful goodies! Just had a message from the "other" Jo-Anne and she mentioned how much she had enjoyed meeting you.

I'm sure you will be very busy over next little while but we plan to take in the Special Christmas Eve Jazz Vespers concert at St. Andrew’s-Wesley and you are more than welcome to join us for Vespers and then come for dinner afterwards, or just Vespers or just dinner. Of course I realize that you will probably have your hands and heart full with family and other friends but just wanted to let you know that we consider you part of our family as well. Furthermore, we'll just be kicking around here on Boxing Day so feel free to drop in if you'd like. Otherwise, any time you feel like it, simply pop by over the course of the hols. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!


Thanks Patrick I really appreciate the invitation, I will be in North Van with my kids on Xmas eve so won't be able to join you but I will drop in. I talked to Corinne about New Year's eve and I'm happy to host. Will talkto Michelle as well. Text me since I won't have my work computer on over the holidays.
Merry Christmas, thanks for being such good good friends to me! Joanne.
 


Hi Patrick!

how lovely to hear from you (although I fear I may have turned an unsightly green in envy!). You and Corinne's trips sound fantastic!! of course I'm most envious of your time in the Languedoc, as that is quite possibly my favouritest place in the world. Or the world I've seen so far anyway. Thank you for sharing!
 

I've been Acting Head of Woodward since last January. January 2014 I start a 5 year term as Head of Woodward. This is the new (and I think better) way of appointing Heads so that we don't have that whole 'life sentence' thing going on. 

Life has been good. Bought a house 3 years ago at Main and 37th with my lovely husband Mark Zuberbuhler. Sadly had to sell the house in October as it is just too dang expensive! Most fortuitously we found a condo in a building one block west of our house. Love the neighbourhood and are happy we are not moving out of it! 

Alexis is swell, working at Central, playing trumpet in The Carnival Band, continuing to make art, as is the whole Greenwood family. My lovely mom continues to teach art classes and we are all getting together on Christmas for a delicious Christmas dinner. Work is slow today so I'm going to get back to throwing stuff out that I inherited as the Head of Woodward Library! My very best and hugs to you and your family! Aleteia

Hi Aleteia!

Great to catch up, a tad, on your life. Congrats, again, on Headship. I agree, this seems a better process. Hello to any Woodward library folk I might know. Buona Fortuna with weeding your office files, etc! Fond regards to Alexis. We must try to have a "re-union" in 2014. Far too, too long since we've seen everyone. Sorry to hear about your house but as you say, you are still in neighbourhood. Cora Lee thinks the area is fab as well, as do I, of course. Is your husband Swiss? We have close friends in Berne, Rothenbühler by name.

Speaking of trumpets,  we plan to take in the Special Christmas Eve Jazz Vespers concert at St. Andrew’s-Wesley. Having a large family gathering here with 20 people for dinner on Christmas Day. Doing a joint venture with Clan Sutherland, friends and neighbours in our building, so it should be loads of boisterous fun. My in-laws usually take out their hearing aids!!!

Again, all the best Aleteia. Happy Christmas and a Healthy New Year! Cheers to you and family, Patrizzio!


Hey Folks, Thanks for the card. Always good to see Chudleigh again. All the best from the Pitchfords! 

Hi Patrick, As you can see we got the card! Charlie

You folk are always such gracious hosts – even for someone who comes over and tries to unload a bunch of …..Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Charlie

OK, folks Here’s the entire clan in the Christmas Spirit! Charlie

Hi O Susannah and Champagne Carlos!

Glad card arrived. I think first attempts to send it along had to do with system timing-out and I didn't realize the fact. Please send along a note to Chudleigh asking him why he doesn't have any Hanukkah cards listed in menu. Can't even cross out "Happy Christmas" and write in "Hanukka" with these dang e-cards. At least you could do so with a regular, mailed card!

Remember, one man's junk, is another man's treasure. However, crap is crap! Nevertheless, I love my tiny cruise ship and play with it each time I have a shower, pretending I can see topless babes sunning on the aft deck by the pool! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Patrick and Corinne, great to hear from you...cute card! Hope your holidays are joyous, peaceful, safe and warm! Here's to seeing you again in 2014, with best wishes for the new year. Cheers, Pat and Dave  

Hi again, Kjell!

Glad you enjoyed the card and pleased to hear that the concert was so enjoyable. Christmas buffet sounded wonderful, posh venue indeed!
Cheers, Patrizzio!


Forgot to say how impressed I am with all the work your family puts in for the less fortunate. Kjell

Hi Patrice,

Colleen says no problem and that despite the cracked ribs it was worth it
for the heartfelt hug you gave her!


 The lamb dish sounds fantaaaastic and would be most welcome ..please let
us know what  side dishes we should have to accompany it.  Sounds like your
social schedule continues to be  very busy with your late night visitors
and others as well. Isn't Paul Whitney the fellow who organized the scotch
tastings ? I know I have met him a few times most recently at the  Hycroft
scotch tasting, Glad to hear he is being responsible and recovering.


it has warmed up around here which is a bit of a bummer as we were looking
forward to some snow and colder temps but it is what it is and we'll make
the most of the r and r time up here regardless of what mother nature has
to offer. Call us anytime on the computer phone, or facebook, email etc.
Hope you have a wonderful Christmas and we'll talk soon. Cheers,  Al


Hello Naramatians, now sun-basking Floridians!

Trust journey went well and you are now ensconced around the pool with tiny umbrellas in your drinks!
Had been meaning to reply to your last missive recounting your whisky tasting. Not had the Redbreast 15 so must keep an eye open for it. Haven't had any Balblair for a some time as I believe I polished off what might have been the 1975 you mention.
Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

P, just returned from the Costco debacle and was forced to bring all the loot in under pouring rain. Now the sun is shining... Looks like a time to ride. I intend to have a short nap to regain my composure then get out for a short ride. W
 
Hi Rain Man!

Give me a shout when you rouse yourself from lethargy and dreams of monsters! I'm delighted to go for a jaunt so a spin around SP if that works for you. Cheers, Trizzio! 


Hello Spudnik and Fellow Humans!

Great Christmas snap! Before I forget, wanted to thank you for the two envelopes which you left for us. I don't think I knew about them until I saw them on tree a few days ago. In all the rush of trying to unpack etc., once we were back, I must have missed Cora Lee mentioning them. I assume ours contains the £20 quid from Sainsbury's!
Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi il Conductore,

just a quick response to touch base about tomorrow, Dec 24th:
"fewer porch cleaners", duly noted. And, yes, it's supposed to be an amalgamation of porch climber/chain cleaner, your two favorite gifts : )

yes, lil bear aka swede #2 aka patrick the lesser, and myself, would love to join you for both the Jazz Vespers and then dinner, thank you again for (foolishly?) letting us into your abode. We promise to bring better gifts than said "porch cleaner". Although, I get off work at 3p, so me and Patrick will find our way to Vespers and maybe end up sitting in the back just in case we get there a bit late. My cell number is 6047818266

We have another dinner to attend in the late evening, so we might not stay the whole night, but it would be an honour to share part of Christmas with you, Corinne and your family

Either way, we'll catch you all at St. Andrews, although, does it start at 3p or 4p? I have been reading other things online that says 3p, but I may have been drunk on porch cleaner at the time...Take care, VL
Hi Vittorio and Patrizio Due!

Simply great that you can join us for dinner. Please don't bring anything as it really isn't necessary. We are just glad that you will be sharing part of Christmas with our family. As well, don't worry about having to leave, at any point, for your other engagement. This is the time of year when there are often many overlapping social events so we understand completely.


Not sure where you work but since the program does start at 3:00 pm, (I found conflicting times but we think 3:00 pm is correct one. Nevertheless, we plan to phone church tomorrow just to be sure.), we will probably be seated when you arrive. Will look for you after the service but should we not connect there, simply make your way to our place and we should be home by 5:00-5:15 pm. We will be taking my car and we plan to park in the Wesley Place parkade noted in the info I included in last missive.

I have added your number to the contact list on my cell for Dummies so we can always get in touch by phone. Look forward to seeing you tomorrow, either at
St. Andrew’s-Wesley or at our place. Cheers, Il Conduttore!


Hello Cora Lee, Chloe and Pat! Thank you for the nifty Christmas card. I just spent a few minutes catching up on reading your emails, Pat. Good thing you retired or you wouldn't have nearly enough time for all the fun things that you do! Yes, lets ride and have a meal together soon. It will be nice to catch up. We're just back from our annual jaunt to Seattle. We're not big on shopping but we do love to find great restaurants, and that is really easy to do in Seattle. Merry Christmas to all of you! From Sara, Dermot and Jake. 

Patrick,


I am astounded at the length of your letter and the detailed info plus great selection of photos.  It is a treat to hear from you as you always have so much happening.



We arrived home to a very sloppy mess here but made it in time to to attend a concert by Ambur Braid who is a hometown girl (we travelled with her dad and stepmom to Italy).  She is a soprano and has the most magnificent stage presence.  She is 5'11" and very slim with a very powerful voice.  We were worried our plane would be late etc. but it was right on time so we made it just before the start of the concert. 



Today was spent doing mail, making phone calls, lunch with friends, etc. etc. etc.  We are very fortunate in that we are invited out for seafood dinner tomorrow with a small group and then Christmas day we are having dinner with friends.  Mags isn't going to be here as she is going to Vancouver to be with 2 of her 3 sons.  We are a bit sad as we always had dinner with the Gingles but for the last few years we have all been going in different directions.  That's what happens when your kids get older and everyone doesn't come home anymore. 


Chloe is sure fortunate to have you and Corinne helping her with her work at Aunt Leah's.  I was telling Stacee about what Chloe was doing and Stacee knew about Aunt Leah's.  I am sure Chloe is a real asset to the organization.  



We were very glad that Chloe was able to come and take her parents home safely.  It was great to see her as always. Merry Christmas and give your good wife a big kiss from us. Cheers, Dawn 

Thanks for the magical card, have a great day. Claire and Greg  

Hello! Each year, around this time, I post a holiday-themed cartoon/drawing on my art blog. I use this picture in the few hard copy cards I still exchange, and
then I share it with everyone else. I hope you will go to my blog, via one of the following links, andenjoy this year's take on Xmas!

http://deborahsawyerart.blogspot.com

OR

http://deborahsawyerart.blogspot.com/2013/12/happy-holidays-2013-version.html

May you enjoy the very best of the season, and have a wonderful 2014! Deborah

Thank you both for a great evening on Saturday. While I'm still not burning the midnight oil as they say, things are improving for me at a steady pace. Got the green light to drive from my GP this am which is another milestone on returning to normalcy.

Further to the discussion Corinne and I were having on disgruntled VPL employees, check out the letters column in the Dec 26th - Jan 2nd Georgia Straight. Jeez, they (whomever they are) are still going on about the bindery!

Thanks for the e-card. Best wishes for a happy holiday season and we look forward to hosting you at our place early in 2014. Cheers.....Paul



 

 











No comments:

Post a Comment