Saturday 14 December 2013

7 No Trump Squamoid/Pitchfork Blues: Saturday, December 14th

If you don't execute your ideas, they die. -Roger von Oech, author and consultant


P, really fun night and thanks for dinner for the whole crew -- photos, the cards and the anemic malt. Oh yes, and the contentious cookies that nobody would eat. The impromptu gallery showing with the artist was absolutely priceless.



Please ask Sarge if he will take Tia with him to Edmonton? She can be ready at a moment's notice. Off to play a match with Dennis against Charlie and Mike K. 



Hi Partner!

No disingenuous humility here! Well played!!! Loads of fun and thank Kerry for delicioso tasty appetizers. Trust you made it home safely. Has Sarge been around yet? If so, guess I won't be taking him to the airport shortly!

Have included the snaps I took just before you went on the gallery tour! You can use one for your family Christmas card. Small, maltage royalty fee per use! Think the first shows the personality of Tia Maria, just a blurrrrrrrrrrrrrrr of activity! Cheers, Patrizzio "Yousuf Karsh" Dunn!



PS: Regards to The Earthworms! Off to ferry Sarge. Will stop by to collect Tia Maria! Talk soon. Cheers, Il Conduttore! 

Hi Raymond!

Thanks for birthday wishes! I plan to forward beer plumbing video to Big Al. With his expertise he should be able to hook up cask strength malt barrels to our water system!

Saw him this past Tuesday when he and Colleen brought over the desk he is fabricating for Chloë. The four of us took the three pieces from his truck up the elevator to loft and then he fitted them into place to ensure that everything fit, as measured. Few minor adjustments but nothings serious. Next stage will involve powder coating the metal to provide the finish Chloë decides upon.
 

Went for a grand ride yesterday. Georgio couldn't join me as Amira was to swing by for lunch. (Had a call from him when I just leaving SP I but of course, couldn't stop to answer phone! I called him when home and made sure he understood that my new mobile is for one-way calls only. If I happened to be in a ditch, somewhere in Richmond, for example, since I was already on the Burning Ground, I could call for help! Otherwise, line was not for idle chatter. Emergency Use Only. If you receive a call on that number you know things are serious!!!) At any rate, I left around 11:30 am and it really was quite magical as a light mist/fog enveloped English Bay/North Shore. Freighters looked like ghost ships until completely obscured. Bit of a heavy drizzle on second of five Prospect Hill Loops but after that stopped it was dry and not even a drop of moisture on my jacket. What was there was soon whipped off as I hurtled down hill, topping 50+km/h on each descent. Something I shied away from earlier, worried about icy spots, of course. 
Temperature was positively balmy compared to rides during deep-freeze we experienced so I was toasty for whole outing. Only negative aspect was stretch of bike path from top of slight hill near the Inukshuk all the way to roller hockey rinks, covered with goose feces. Never seen it so completely festooned and I had to make a conscious effort to avoid deposits so large and plentiful were the droppings. On way to SP, on the way up this same rise, I had to dodge a number of the plump birds sleeping right in the middle of the path! Mentioned to a number of "recreational" cyclists ahead of me, at the time, that I was surprised that they had made it through the blockade themselves. One of them laughed and said, "They sure don't move, do they!" Nevertheless, I certainly enjoyed the ride. Stats:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/415360232#.UqueEyuJtio.email 


Back home by 3:30 pm or so, to shower and change. Cora lee was volunteering at AL Thrift Shop until 6:00 pm so I worked on getting dinner ready. Had invited Whirlygig and Sarge for dinner and bridge. Kerry was Christmas shopping, with Tia, and Flamin' was in Edmonton, visiting a friend. As things turned out, The Shopping Sisterhood ended up at GI so they came by around 7:30 pm and we all enjoyed dinner together. Lots of fun playing bridge. Dusty came to partner with Sarge while the Goils looked at all the "finds"!

Took Sarge to YVR this morning at 8:00 am. He is also going to be in Edmonton but will be there until end of next week. He is presiding at an RCMP hearing. Will stay tonight with Des and Sheila, couple who joined us on canal barge this past September/October.

Having two tables of bridge tonight with Ruth/Rick, friends from Squamish, and our travel agents, O Susannah and Champagne Charlie. R/R will stay overnight so it will be good to see them for more than the evening.

Might try to squeeze in a short ride later, around 2:00 pm, as forecast shows a bit of a break in rain then. Must away now as Cora Lee is barking out orders for me to come and re-arrange furniture for tonight's festivities!

Have included some snaps I took of "The Great Desk Caper" and those from last night. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Peter thanks for this. I will send you the info we have after Christmas. Hope all is well in Naramata. We wish you all, a wonderful Christmas season. Love Corinne

Hello Memsahib and Chapatti Man!

I echo Coriandre's thanks for link. Think it would be useful to have our friend Janet look at it as well, to see what she thinks. Will report back after I finish my next  plate of curry!
Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Paragliding Man!

What a breathtaking video! Simply wonderful!!! I'm almost embarrassed to send along my earth-bound rides! Sorry to hear about you Dad. Very difficult situation, obviously. On a brighter note, we were down in California, (We enjoy Monterey as well, having first explored that area of the coast in early '80's when I was still at the Curric Lab!), for American Thanksgiving so I had a grand time the cycling there. Know SImi Valley pretty well now as we were there last Christmas as well. Last day for riding there I cycled into the San Fernando Valley twice, once over Box Canyon and then over Santa Susana Pass. Had always wanted a "double-header" ever since first discovering these routes.

Wanted to try to squeeze in a short ride, around 2:00 pm, as forecast showed a bit of a break in rain then. Unfortunately, for me, Cora Lee was barking out too, too many orders to be able to get away before tonight's festivities!

You should give us a call and if you are around GI over next few weeks, pop by for a drink and a chat. Cheers for now, Earth Bound Patrizzio! 


Dear Patrick & Corinne,



Hope you are both well, no doubt off again on one of your magic journeys.

We are well.  Have my sisters daughter and her partner coming in for Christmas

Spending Boxing Day with the usual crowd the Hon. Loretta Chaperon and her crowd. She has had two hip replacements, and two ankle operations in the last few years. Her former husband is back with her, Barry was in China teaching for quite a few years. Now they are together again. This year we are not having our New Years Open House maybe next year



I was in Wpg. cooking up another Turkey dinner for my family in Oct. My Mom turned 97 and still going strong probably will outlive me she is so resilient

That tough Ukrainian heritage. My niece had another baby and her sister is also expecting this coming Jan. John is well, playing squash once or twice a week.

And into his many projects, doing what he loves best. I continue to enjoy my wonderful hikes through Mt. Doug with my hounds and their friends. When I came back from Wpg. Tess started to have seizures. Here is my story.



Merry Christmas to you both With lots of Hugs & Kisses Love, Jean, John Benson & Tess

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************



To my Many Canine Loving Friends & Family,



This is a sad story with a happy ending about our little girl Tess.  Please forward this story to your many canine loving friends to help save a life or two.



**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Before I met Dr. Erika Raines Homeopathic Doctor at the “Tree of Life Veterinarian Hospital” in Courtney, our little girl Tess a one and a half year old Dalmatian started to have seizures about three months ago.  At first John & I did not think they were serious but when they developed into cluster seizures striking three times a week on average I began to panic.  As we watched helplessly each time she began to convulse, her head began to jerk, shaking violently tossing back and forth, salivating as her muscles twitched, her legs paddled out of control.  What we were viewing were Grand Mal seizures that were life threatening. Tess’s anxiety became my anxiety, I was consumed with fear as I could see she knew what was happening and I could not help.  Just reading this I know you would think just the thought of your loved one experiencing Epilepsy would strike fear and horror into your heart if they were diagnosed. I was consumed with guilt that these symptoms must have been something that I have done wrong to cause such a frightening disease.



In a state of panic I took her to our Veterinarian for an assessment to find out was happening and had a full blood panel done.  My eyes glazed over as I heard the diagnosis Idiopathic Seizures or Epilepsy which is the most common neurological disease affecting over 4% of dogs.  The common treatment is Phenobarbital a conventional anticonvulsant drug with serious and chronic long term side effects which can lead to scarring of the liver in just three months and liver failure and if suddenly taken off the drug could be life threatening.



 I was consumed with fear but I knew I could not put my little Tess on medication.  Was I playing with her life, I was in a state of shock, I knew her cluster seizures were life threatening and she could die if they continued to develop. I desperately went to other conventional veterinarians for second opinions and their conclusions were the same. Phenobarbital.  I questioned the long term effects that Phenobarbital would have on Tess and I felt there must be a natural alternative. My gut feeling was telling me to go in a different direction for I knew deep down there was a natural cure. I talked to many Natural paths and none of them had extensive experience using herbs in treating seizures and all used traditional medications Phenobarbital. However, they all recommended Dr. Erika Raines saying she was the best physician on the island that could help with Tess’s seizures.   Dr. Raines blend of traditional Chinese Medicine, acupuncture, herbal medicine; homeopathy with conventional medicine would provide Tess with a holistic approach to suit her needs.  “Dr. Raines was having great success with her Chinese Herbs treating seizures” they said “and  if anyone could cure little Tess she could.”



Well when I called Dr. Raines, I was overwhelmed with her enthusiasm, her confidence, her exuberance in what she did and she had a profound belief in what she practiced. Her Homeopathic approach was aimed at obtaining a complete cure and therefore looking at the illness at a deeper level instead of temporarily masking the symptoms. Idiopathic epilepsy she said is diagnosed by elimination providing clues to possible underlying cause of the seizures.  She could offer a variety of alternatives to anticonvulsant medication which again have a toxic side effect.  “The disease can be cured she said because she has a very clear understanding of seizures and how they can be cured”. “Jean she said I can cure Tess; I have cured seizures many, many times”.  “Let’s get started” I said.  “The first thing you need to do she said was to get Tess on a hypoallergenic diet as Tess could be allergic to certain chemicals in her food which could cause seizures.” She recommended West Coast Canine Life.  I contacted the nutritionists there and they guided me on how easy it was to prepare human quality food with their organic pre-mix that contains no chemicals or preservatives offering a balanced nutritious food for Tess. It was wonderful making Tess her food as it put me in control and gave me the feeling I was helping her on her road to recovery. 



Dr. Raines then requested that I send Tess’s medical records and blood work to her.  Upon assessing Tess history Dr. Raines said that there were many reasons why Tess was having seizures. “First, she had antibiotics administered for her ear infections, many times, this could cause seizures.”  We were giving her tick and flea medications ‘Revolution’ on a monthly basis this could be causing the seizures.  Vaccinations, cause seizures. Her blood showed levels of hypoglycemia which could cause seizures. She could be hyperthyroid and over exercising could all cause seizures” and Tess was highly active, almost obsessively.



Dr. Raines stated that Tess had to be detoxed from all the toxins in her body.  She said that she would be giving Tess a blend of Chinese herbs to be administered twice a day and a Seizure Remedy mixture three times a day.  I felt relieved.  The practice of Chinese medicine administering herbs has been around for thousands of years and proven their worth over the centuries.  It takes a qualified Homeopathic practitioner to know exactly what to mix for each illness, a complicated process that requires a skill and once the proper remedy is given it can stop the seizure in its track.  It is a skill that takes years of practice and Dr. Raines has developed that skill through practice over and over again. I felt completely confident in her and what she was giving to Tess. A burden had been lifted.



We began to administer the detox herbs starting on a Thurs. along with the Seizure Remedy every day and waited for the weekend to arrive. The seizures continually started on Sunday and Monday mornings around 4 & 5a.m. in the early hours. I can remember it was early Sunday morning at 2 a.m. and Tess awoke almost knowing something would be happening.  Seizures are “Kindling” which means the brain has been trained to start the seizures at a specific time and even Tess could bring them on. So at that early hour I fed her to ensure her blood sugar would not drop and administered the Seizure Remedy and put the girl back to bed. I waited, and then she woke at 4 a.m. I did the same fed her & administered the Seizure Remedy and put her back to bed. I waited as the dreaded hour drew near it was always 5 a.m. well Tess slept through the hour peacefully.  It was the first seizure free Sunday in three months.  Then again early Monday morning she woke at 2 a.m. I fed her and administered the Seizure Remedy and put her back to sleep.  I stayed awake and waited for the dreaded hour of 4 a.m.  Little Tess slept right through.  This was the first seizure free Monday in three months. 



It has been four weeks since Tess has had a seizure due to an overwhelming success with Dr. Raines Homeopathic medicine.  It is absolutely amazing and we are deeply grateful to Dr. Raines for having the confidence and the skill in treating Tess providing us real hope for a positive outcome of treatment.  The disease was so distressing for all of us and it is no longer the source of suffering for Tess.  She has been given the opportunity to live a quality life, without drugs, without side effects and no longer without seizures.  



I am grateful that I had the courage to go beyond conventional medicine to find a cure for Tess.  I highly recommend Dr. Raines for her professionalism, her belief in what she does her confidence and skill in her Homeopathic and Chinese Medicine knowing that she could cure Tess. She has made us profoundly grateful.  Dr. Raines  loves what she does and she has saved many, many lives through her belief and knowledge in what she practices, she saved little Tess’s life. Love Jean, John & our Dalmatians Tess & Benson

This is a wonderful offering from our holistic veterinarian Dr. Raines who has helped me a lot over the past month. **Free Gift for the Friends and Family of Jean**Tess has done so well with her herbal and homeopathic medicine that we would like to extend an invitation to her friends and family to achieve greater health and wellness for their pets.
**FREE ACUPUNCTURE TREATMENT ($52 value) WITH ASSESSMENT with Tree of Life Veterinary Care**


This consult is designed to educate and empower you to help your pet live a healthier life, and the complimentary treatment to immediately kick start those benefits! Whether they have specific health issues you’d like to resolve or you’re just looking for them to have a greater overall sense of well-being, there’s a good chance we can help you.


Call our office during the week of Christmas and speak to one of our staff members to take advantage of this offer at 250-338-2316

Visit our website at www.treeoflifevet.ca.


We are here to help you in any way we can and we can't wait to meet you and you’re pet to get on the road to health and well-being, just as Tess has.

Warm Regards, Dr. Erika Raines, DVM, Dr. Radica Raj, DVM, And all the staff at Tree of Life Veterinary Care

No comments:

Post a Comment