Friday 14 June 2013

The Eyob Diaries: Friday, June 14th

                       The big thieves hang the little ones. -Czech proverb 


Hi Lads! Welcome back, Il Pescatore! Trust your angling pursuits went well.

Had a call from Paul, owner of Reckless, on Wednesday evening, and he told me the 19" Montague Navigator was in at the Marinaside store. I rode over there yesterday afternoon, with my Brodie, and took the foldable to Stanely Park and then did one PPH loop. Was very pleased with how bike felt, how gears shifted, etc.



Back at the Davie Street store I found out more about pannier holders, (special bracket on seat stem), collapsible pedals, etc. According to Paul the 21" isn't any different fromt he 19" frame, other than having a different handle bar throat, or some such. 19" felt very comfortable but I'd still like to try 21" model so am glad Jim has placed an order for that one as well. Montague weighed in at 25 lbs, 10/11 lbs lighter than my Brodie, so think it should be reasonable. Obviously, not as light as the Trek but a very good compromise. At any rate, this test ride has convinced me that I'm probably going to buy a Montague from Evans Cycles in York. Price here is $1,134, (I think as I just glanced at the price tag), (pre-tax), $1,270 with tax, £799.99 in the UK, roughly $1,272.26, total cost according to the order confirmation details, so almost exactly the same.

To more important matters now. I anyone interested in a ride? I plan to go later as I gather/hope weather will improve somewhat. Spent almost an hour yesterday evening using the new de-greaser, (bought another pair of boots, box of NUUN, and a patch kit at same time), on my Trek, chain and general frame clean-up. (Felt guilty after Fix-a-Flat session and my brother-in-law's comments about the state of my steed!) Rinsed with water afterwards and then once dried, re-oiled chain. Almost don't wan to take it out now! Anyway, let me know. Perhaps I'll take my Brodie! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Big Al!

Had meant to call last evening! Not sure how time evaporated!!! Anyway, looking forward to seeing your place tomorrow. Unfortunately, (perhaps "fortunately" for you!, I probably won't be able to ride from either Bridal Falls or Hope. Due to a number of circumstances, (to be discussed over malt!), Cora Lee has had to reschedule a Friends of VPL Board brunch/meeting to tomorrow at 11:00am. This being the case I don't imagine we will be on the road until 2:00pm or slightly later. Not sure what traffic will be like then but I assume we should be knocking on your door, or calling for help, somewhere between 4:00-5:00pm. Hope this works.

I plan to bring my bike along so perhaps we can ride on Sunday. No big deal but a possibility, perhaps. Anyway, let me know. Perhaps I'll bring my lead weight Brodie! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Patrick

Yes I saw the hip doctor and I am scheduled in for next January.  The scheduling was my choice.  He confirmed I am bone on bone.

My other friend got back from Beau Soleil and is gushing about what a good time they had.  The biking in that area is second to none. Dennis 


Good news about Mantague origami bicycle. I am up for a ride although my window is small -- 11ish to 1:PM. I will go regardless of weather. Hope that works for you guys. W 

George, Already phoned Pat to say I was not available. Hope the week went well for you. Ray
 
P, should be fine for bridge next week, anyday, if I have some advance warning and if I can get a look at the hands in advance. W

PPHL: 71.2 K over 3:21:19, AVG 21.2 KPH, MAX 54.2 KPH

Hi Patrick and Janet,


Sorry, there is some construction and road blocks on Kingsway- hence the delay. We should be in your house in about 25 mins. So sorry. egn

Pat, say hi to big Al & the C's. 

Let me know, if you know, what night we might play bridge. I have an offer to play squash Wednesday evening but would rather play cards. 

Also have the Lee Child book for ya: A Wanted Man. If you need it for this weekend I can run it down to you or send Reacher in my Crown Victoria police cruiser. Safe travels, W
Hi Patricio,
Thanks for the funnies! especially the facebook one which I sent to my mom, she spent years on an IBM electric and I remember her doing that motion probably tens of thousands of times!!.
You should bring your bike and we can see about getting out Sunday perhaps, if nothing else there’s a very nice ride out to the hope slide along the old Crowsnest highway that I’m sure you would enjoy.  Here’s the phone number of the cabin in case there’s any trouble on the way. I don’t know if you’ve broken down and bought a cell phone but if you have you’ll lose reception at hope. there is a phone booth as soon as you turn into the Sunshine Valley . Look for the block letter sign and turn right..
after you turn right , turn left at the stop sign and keep following that road all the way around. It turns right and heads toward the mountains and then you’ll see a sign saying Alpine estates on your left. Keep going and we are the second place on the left ..14680 Alpine blvd. . Look forward to seeing you guys!!!. have a safe drive, Al


No comments:

Post a Comment