Tuesday 25 June 2013

Pre-Departure Blues: Tuesday, June 25th

Should you shield the canyons from the windstorms you would never see the true beauty of their carvings. -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, psychiatrist and author (1926-2004) 


Hi Tinsel Town!

I suspected something was up when I hadn't received any posts! Hope you start feeling better soon. Perhaps a box or two of Fruit Gums might just do the trick! Chalk board will be great for jotting down "back stories", "pitches" and  "treatments" as they come to you! Love, Dad!


Since we ain't going to Paris!!!

Hi Oh how I wish I could join you! 


I am working at Celtic Colours starting July 15th until Nov.  The festival starts Oct 11th until the 19th.  I have been meaning to email you after reading your email about your fall. How many lives do you think you have used up? we are spending our summer in CB enjoying the concerts, plays and sports.  we might go to Van for Xmas, who knows. thanks for the invite. We will be in "Switzerland for sure next yr for Dinao's Grad, think about that! Have a great summer and send me your updates.Take care, miss cooking and drinking wine with you!

Rhoda

Hi Patrick My apologies for confusing everyone on the bike front. I accept my mind has been addled not least by trying to follow your British Columbian peregrinations in or out of the part time peloton. So we shall pick you both up at York at 9.47 or so on Wednesday July 17 and return you for car pick up on July 25.

I shall bring my bike along on the rack and take you to Evans where you can test the bikes and subject to the bikes being ready we can ride back to Wetherby perhaps via the River Ouse path through the city, onto the old Selby line for a while and then through the villages back home. Should the bike need adjustment we'll take you back and in the mean time l'll borrow Ed's bike for us?

Given of course that you won't have a car it is easy to get buses to York and Harrogate and parking will not be an issue if you are exploring on your own. We are less than 1 km from middle of Wetherby and there are three different routes, road, railway line, or riverside path. I am looking forward to helping you explore some of the local bike routes perhaps picking up Knaresborough and Harrogate on one ride.

Laura and family are due to be moving down from Newcastle to Harrogate during July so we hope they will meet you both. Regards Jim


Hi Pat and Corinne,



Thanks for the parking the other night. Also appreciated being able to get something to eat before, and after the concert. I didn'tplan for that very well. Please thank them again from me.



We talked about ways and means of welcoming Oliver and you said you would like to take part, but cycle out on your own. Here are the details. Hope you can still make it.



Monday, July 8, .2013

DE 1070
Arriving in Vancouver 17:15
Airline: Condor



Also, i have attached a welcome sign graphic. Hope it works in it's funny way. I am tempted to spell "Club" with K. bob

P, I will bring a roasted veggie dish on Wednesday. Let me know if there is anything more.

Sorry, I have a noon match today so will not ride. Also blood letting mid afternoon. Maybe Wednesday, if the monsoons ease up? 

This from Wikipedia, confirming the Pitchfork's naming disorder is not;




Hi Giggster!

I trust Dracula left a little for tomorrow's bidding! Thanks for agreeing to bring a roasted vegetable dish. Cora Lee is going to bbq Atlantic Salmon, (from Costco), so you might wish to consider an alternative if you are not comfortable with this. Thanks as well for doing the background check on Champagne's facts. Much appreciated as I simply don't have time for all the necessary vetting. Guess it is the frustrated editor in you that has come to the surface since you were summarily dismissed by Feld of Wrath's wacko neighbour. You do seem to need a lightening rod, however, whether Nexus Polizei or Ambleside matrons with yappy, small dogs in tow!

Speaking of West Van, I waited until about 1:45 pm to go for a ride. Earlier this morning, Cora Lee had asked me if I could drop her off at on Broadway and Main at 2:00pm. Knowing this, I was suited up and ready to go by 1:30 pm. When she arrived back a few minutes later, she said she wanted to take the car so I was free to ride. Knew I had to be back by 4:30 pm or so in order to be ready to leave for tasting, (6:30 pm in North Van), by 5:45 pm so I figured three PPHL were just about right.

Whistled along, please that rain had stopped and quite enjoyed the day. Seawall was relatively quiet as I guess forecast has kept many away. Anyway, shortly before I reached Lost Lagoon I passed a chap with a fully laden bike, panniers fore and aft with what looked like a small tent and a sleeping roll lashed atop rear panniers. I mentioned, in passing, that I had not seen anyone with such a load. Anyway, we started chatting, (Imagine the restraint it took to slow down in order to keep pace with him trundling along as I was already about 2 minutes ahead of my 20 KPH AVG!), and I discovered that the had just flown in from Montreal and was en route to Squamish, final destination Jasper/Banff! 



We introduced ourselves and I learned that Dany Ward is a counselor at a technical high school in Sherbrooke. (He wasn't riding it but he has a Madone as well) Since I was going to do three loops anyway, I thought I might as well offer to take him to MD, via Ambleside and then Bellevue to avoid as much traffic as possible. We did just that and it was most interesting to hear about his riding with friends in Quebec and that this was his first ride, with all the gear, on this bike. He estimated that he was probably hauling about 75 lbs, bike included. I told him that he would have some very good climbs ahead even though Horsehoe Bay and even Squamish would not be the worst of them!

We said goodbye just before Travers and Marine. I wished him well and hope to follow his journey on Facebook. Lovely chap and I would have accompanied him to HB if I'd not had the previous engagement. Even Squamish if I'd known earlier! Who knows, Jasper!

Back to Ambleside where another cyclist, about my age, asked me how my ride was going. I told him a bit about chancing upon Dany and he said that a few days ago, I think, he and his wife had encountered another couple who had ridden from the southern tip of Chile. Apparently they had been on the road for over a year. I didn't get all of the details so I'm not sure if they rode all the way to Vancouver or not. Not even sure if this is possible. Certainly dangerous, I would think, to say the least, at least in certain countries, places, both from natural and human agents. That is just one aspect of this wonderful saga: Both are legally blind! The husband has limited tunnel vision so he rides in front while his wife follows. She can see but blurry images! Banff doesn't seem all that far away or as difficult a ride now!


 

Hardly noticed the ride home as I cogitated upon the wondrous nature of the human spirit and what challenges are possible to overcome if one has the discipline and the strength to prevail. Anyway, heard a bit about these pretty amazing stories and I didn't even need to put my foot down or stop for a latte! Almost ashamed to record my stats: 55.2 K over 2:47:30, AVG 19.7 KPH, MAX 53.8 KPH, as they seem so meaningless in comparison to Dany's intended journey and the legally blind couple's transcontinental odyssey. Was pleased, however, that I did manage to almost make the 20 K AVG. Speed had dropped quite a bit while I was waiting for Dany and his 20 Mule Team Borax to catch up after one hill or another. Accepted that this was going to be the case and just enjoyed his company. Nevertheless, when I finally roared down PPH, I thought I might stand a ghost of a chance to make my target rate. Helped that the wind was behind me until Science World and my legs felt pretty strong as I hit Charleson so I was able to motor along at above 30 KPH for last long stretch. Not quite enough time or stamina left to push me over mark but felt great to try.

An early ride, 9:00ish, would suit me as I've scads to do. The Sisterhood reigneth! Let's chat in the morning. Cheers, Patrizzio!
  

 
Dear Keeper of the Sanctum Sanctorummaltvault: The deck is finished excepting two handrails on the staircases that will be installed in a couple of weeks. We are taking a hiatus on other projects and are dedicating free time to: playing tennis; bluegrass festivals(Qualicum Beach); jazz festivals(Victoria) and a host of other events cropping up in the hood. Your forthcoming bridge game sounds titillating. The Parksville gathering sounds that it could prove to be a blast. We've got lots of time to figure out how much trouble we can get into when the time comes.Yours truly, NanaimoNewbie

Can't see anything! Perhaps you can regular-email them? C

Hi Kids! Apparently Ania still thinks about me! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Thank you Poppa...doing better this afternoon...made it to work!  Wine gums for all!! Love, Ayn

Hello Darling!

Lovely to hear your voice! Thanks for calling. To business:

Arrive, Gatwick, Thursday, July 11th, Air Transat, #274, 09:55

Leave London Kings Cross, Wednesday, July 17th, 07:49, for York

Leave York, Thursday, July 25th, by hire car for Amesbury, (Stonehenge), Bath, Durston, and Truro. To arrive July 31st/August 1st.

Leave Truro August 31st, by hire car to arrive Luton Airport, 18:00. Thames Link/First Capital Connect to Mill Hill Broadway to Hale Grove Gardens for dinner and dancing!

Patrizzio leaves, Monday, September 2nd, MHB early enough to arrive St Pancras by 07:00 to leave on Eurostar at 07:31 (Not sure when Cora Lee will need to leave for airport, probably Heathrow, on this date, for flight to Rome.)



Arrive at Gare du Nord 10:47. RER to Gare du Lyon in time to leave at 12:07 for Beziers. Arrive at 16:28 to pick up care hire, (Europcar), before 19:00. Drive to Neffies, approximately 45 minutes, to arrive at Beau Soleil and have a stiff drink!

Leave Neffies, by hire car, Saturday, September 28th, for Beziers. TGV to Agen to meet Flamin'/Sarge for canal barge cruise of Canal Midi, until October 12th.

Leave Agen, Saturday, October 12th, for Valence, to stay with friends Rosemary/Andre. Leave Valence/Lyon by train or plane, (yet to be decided), to arrive in London no later than October 17th.

Leave London, Saturday, October 19th, in enough time to catch Air Transat, #677, from Gatwick at 09:20. I suspect we will need to reserve a taxi, much like we did last time.
 

So there you have it, Duhlink! Let me know if you have any other questions and we'll plan accordingly. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!Hi Sarge! Are you still on for malt tasting at Edgemont Village, tonight at 6:30pm? We should probably leave by around 5:45pm. Let me know. Let me know if you have any questions and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick My apologies for confusing everyone on the bike front. I accept my mind has been addled not least by trying to follow your British Columbian peregrinations in or out of the part time pelaton.

So we shall pick you both up at York at 9.47 or so on Wednesday July 17 and return you for car pick up on July 25. I shall bring my bike along on the rack and take you to Evans where you can test the bikes and subject to the bikes being ready we can ride back to Wetherby perhaps via the River Ouse path through the city, onto the old Selby line for a while and then through the villages back home. Should the bike need adjustment we'll take you back and in the mean time l'll borrow Ed's bike for us?

Given of course that you won't have a car it is easy to get buses to York and Harrogate and parking will
not be an issue if you are exploring on your own. We are less than 1 km from middle of Wetherby and there are three different routes, road, railway line, or riverside path. I am looking forward to helping you explore some of the local bike routes perhaps picking up Knaresborough and Harrogate on one ride.

Laura and family are due to be moving down from Newcastle to Harrogate during July so we hope they will meet you both. Regards, Jim 


Yes still on. 


Thank Patrick, I look forward to meeting you and Wayne this evening Best Regards, Graeme

Hi Graeme: Just a quick note to say how much Wayne and I enjoyed your presentation. It was a most interesting insight into not only malt whisky itself, (3 year olds!), but also the very complex process, (finance, marketing, human resources, bio-chemical processes), by which this elixir comes into being on our store shelves. I certainly appreciated your articulate delivery. You had much information to impart and did it with humour and much credibility.

We wish you well in your endeavour and look forward to the day when we can sip a dram of your first offering in the new Victorian Caledonian Distillery and Brewpub. All the best. Cheers, Patrick!


Hi Patrick, Thanks for opening up your hospitality to include Cornelius, but I didn’t pass on that invitation.
I did tell cousin John that he would be welcome to bring his lady (not his wife) Miranda if she could put up with our level of bridge.  I haven’t heard back from John so for now assume that he is coming, likely not Miranda.



Lynnie and I expect to arrive at the Inn around 4:30 or 5, after a quick stop at the Market. We’re going to make a stop in Keremeos where hopefully we can find some nice Okanagan cherries.   Hope you enjoyed Caesar Must Die. Looking forward to seeing you, and especially to seeing Corinne. 3NT, Peter

Patricio, Update on John and Miranda.

Hi Johnny, Here are directions to Patrick Dunn’s place.  I expect you’ll probably walk to avoid any parking hassles. The bridge night will be a bit of a production, with potluck dinner before.  Lynne, Patrick’s wife Corinne and one of the other ladies are going to a Vancouver Writer’s Festival event after dinner, and the rest of us will play bridge – I think 2 tables with some rotating around.  Miranda would be very welcome to come too, if she could stand the unserious bridge.  I think there is going to be another woman playing.



A good time to arrive would be about 6:15.  A small contribution of a snack or something would probably be good.  I’m making a big Caesar salad. Looking forward to seeing you, Pete

Hi Pete: I am interrupting a gorge of fresh OK cherries to let you know I will arrive with some potluck and grape seedlings at 6:15.  Also there is the possibility that Miranda will deign to grace the proceedings with her presence.  (She is after all a Bridge addict).   It depends on if and when she can get away from her afternoon golf game.   I should be informed later this evening, when she returns from a ladies bridge game. Cousin John

Hi Pat,

Have been meaning to reply to your offer of reserving us a place for your upcoming sojourn in Neffiès; much as I would like to accept we are committed to a Bali trip for Bree’s 40th at that time – bugger!

What about next year? We are both keen to explore more of France so Beau Soleil sounds ideal. Do you have any other info? I seem to remember reading somewhere that the owner was an acquaintance of yours – maybe wrong about that though.

Managed to get Dad into a nursing home very close to me for a few weeks of respite care so that will give me a bit of time to find a permanent place for him; this morning when I went to see him he was sobbing his heart out and told me that he thought he was ‘in this place to die’. So sad!

Tina and I have spent the day in the garden shifting several tonnes of garden loam from the driveway through the garage to the back garden; started at 12:00 noon and finished at 3:00pm having clocked up 38 wheelbarrow loads for a distance of 5.3kms at an average speed of 3km/hr and no dipsydoodling! Fondestos to all, Trevor

Hi there Patrick!! Hope all is very well with you!


My mum forwarded me the message you sent her on Linked In and wanted me to send you this message as she was not sure quite what to do with a Linked In Message!! Mum says you have been on her mind as last month she went to McLaren Vale in S.A last month which apparently is one of your favourite spots! Mum has a newish friend who she met on the cooking tour in Vietnam and her family is from there as they have the Wirra Wirra Winery Brand which I am sure you have heard of!!!  See attached one of my favourite ever photos of mum!!  


And tomorrow – mum is off to Madrid and Morocco for 3 weeks! It was a spontaneous decision to say the least as just a fortnight ago mum had us over for a fabulous Moroccan lunch cooked by our friend Cassie (who I am sure you may have met over the years…)who lived in Morocco for five years and her “agent” on the ground in Morocco.   Cassie was telling us about her upcoming trip to Madrid to see her sister and then onto Morocco for a “buying” trip and Mum decided to join her!!!  Why not I say!!  One would never have a better opportunity to see the real Morocco!!



Go mum!!! Of course we will miss her!! Adina and I are well, I am still here at Westfield for now and Adina is back at her old Solicitors job three days a week! It’s very cold and wet in Sydney at the moment – would love to be heading your way for those wonderful long day summers!! We will get there one day, I promise, when the kids are a bit older and can appreciate it all!!! Please say a big hello to Corrine! Love Ania & Yael xxx

So good to hear from you! You are going to have a fabulous summer and I am envious! If I win the lottery, I'll visit you in Italy, otherwise, I'll see you, Ayn and Corinne at Thanksgiving time. All my best for safe travels and wonderful adventures and memories. Wedding is 3 1/2 weeks away and things are coming together nicely.
Hi there Patrizio!

Thanks for the newsy email as usual and the good pic of the concrete and the mountains and water in the background!  How was your ride on Sunday?  You guys must have legs of steel!

 My folding bike remains in my suite with one permanent  flat tire (I think) as I walked it to a gas station last year to put air in the tires.. (they were low from sitting all winter) Instead of putting air in them, turns out I depleted the little remaining air left in them and was so mad I couldn't operate the air pump and also the guy beside me just ignored me when he could see I was having problems..!! I walked the bike back home with REALLY flat tires and probably ruined both of them while on their rims.!!  There endeth the bike saga.

Sounds like you'll be busy with your company and preparing for your next trip in July!   See if Branko knows Scott Watson.. will be interesting if he does..  I believe Scott has been at that marina for years... Cheers! JWo

                       

                     You know by today's standards none of us was supposed to ever make it.


HIGH SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2012

Scenario 1: Jack goes duck hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack. 1957 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack. 2012- School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.
 
Scenario 2: Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school. 1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies. 2012 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it.
 
Scenario 3: Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students. 1957 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again. 2012 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The family gets extra money (SSI) from the government because Jeffrey has a disability.
 
Scenario 4: Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt. 1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman. 2012 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse, Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.
 
Scenario 5: Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school. 1957 - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock. 2012 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.
 
Scenario 6: Pedro fails high school English. 1957 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college. 2012 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.
 
Scenario 7: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed. 1957 - Ants die. 2012 - ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents - and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.
 
Scenario 8: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him. 1957 In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing. 2012 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.





 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment