Sunday 9 June 2013

The Petawawa Diaries: Sunday, June 9th

Often war is waged only in order to show valor; thus an inner dignity is ascribed to war itself, and even some philosophers have praised it as an ennoblement of humanity, forgetting the pronouncement of the Greek who said, "War is an evil in as much as it produces more wicked men than it takes away." -Immanuel Kant, philosopher (1724-1804)



Hello Bridge Afficionados!

We’re having the Penguin over for bridge along with Gladys Knight (of the Pips) who is going to be in town. Are you available for bridge & bbq at our place – June 29 5 ish pm? If you can make it, may get another couple to play from our list of experts. CC

Hello Champagne! Lovely invitazzione which we are more than happy to accept! Gladsy Knight and the Pips with The Penguin! Sounds like a summer movie blockbuster!!!

Be forewarned, however, I have been playing weekly, this past few months, with lads I cycle with, some of my Book Club and Sarge when he is in town or not playing ball, (He always plays hardball even when he's playing softball!), honing my already extraordinary bidding skills to even more razor edged precision. Top Dog last week!

Please let us know what we can contribute in terms of food. I assume you have a plethora of bridge prizes waiting in the wings, screaming "Choose Me! Choose Me!", but if supply is finally exhausted we can scrounge up something, I'm sure. Fondestos from Cora Lee to you and O Susannah! Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Hello Laddage! Given Victorious' predilection for the 7th of July, I throw my vote behind his choice. The premises of the Islay Inn have been swept for bugs, secreted by The Sisterhood, so the NRBC is welcome to meet here, in relative safety, from surprise attack by the Amazons. Unfortunately, I cannot speak to the likely internecine strife between certain, (unnamed), intransigent members but I will do my best to pour oil on the troubled waters. In the spirit of mediation, I urge the usual procrastinators to finish the book so that a plethora of moderate views might be expressed, ameliorating the vitriol spewed forth by the above mentioned hot, intemperate heads.

I remain, as ever, Your Humble, Quiet Voice of Reason and Possessor of Ill-Advised Respect for Others' Idiocies. Cheers, Il Conductore, Purveyor of Life's Lessons, Seller of Fine Drink, Sustainable Snacks and Other Junk Food!


Hi Cabin People!

Thanks for message with phone number. I didn't read it until later on in the afternoon yesterday. Cora Lee was doing a volunteer shift at Aunt Leah's Thrift Store on Broadway and Main. I was charged with a number of errands so I decided to ride out to UBC beforehand, following my usual route. Wasn't a particularly nice day so roads were rather quiet. No scantily clad babes at Kits Beach either, unfortunately!
 

Out along Spanish Banks and then MD to Crown with a loop back through Musqueam to hit MD again, then climb up Camosun  to Imperial Drive. Back down to MD and then through Wesbrook Village, back to MD and up 16th to Tolmie. Quite a bit of road construction at the intersection of 16th and East Mall, in front of the new high school there. Looks like it will be going on for sometime so I need to avoid that section on future rides. Trust it will be complete when we return in October!

Since I had a time constraint, I took Chancellor Blvd, instead of NW MD, and then cut back to 16th at Blanca. I had to pick up some hyper expensive cat food at Tisol Pet Store on Arbutus, near 11th, so I followed 1th all the way to Vine and then dipsy doodled to land at the store with 62.8 K over 2:58:54, AVG 21.0 KPH, MAX 51.6 KPH. Had the clerk write down those numbers as the "officlal" part of the ride was now over! Even had her place the dozen cans of "caviar" in my camel pack, (sans bladder), so I didn't have to take it off. (All planned with military precision!) Then off along Broadway to Chapters on Granville for a gift certificate for our niece, Rachel. We will be celebrating her 23rd birthday, (as I believe I mentioned in last message), this evening.

Home by just before 4:00pm with 65.7 K over 3:10:32, AVG 20.7 KPH, MAX 51.6 KPH so you can see the deleterious effect touching the ground has on stats! Time for a quick shower and after I'd dressed we drove to Creekside CC, to park underground, to attend the Keating/Anderson wedding. It was a wonderful affair, from the simple, touching ceremony to the fabulous food and drink at the reception. Elaine, bride's mother, made all the wonderful sushi appetizers while the remarkable meal itself was catered by Trafalgar's Bistro, on 16th & Trafalgar, obviously! The owners, a gay couple, Lorne Tyczenski and Stephen Greenham, are very close friends of the Keatings.


We had a delightful time, before, during and after meal, visiting with many friends and meeting relatives/close friends who had flown from Australia to attend ceremony. Slide show Elaine had put together, shown before decadent deserts were served, had everyone howling with laughter and shedding tears at the same time. Dancing to follow but we had to say our farewells before it started, (Much to Cora Lee's disappointment!), as we wanted to pop in at another wedding reception. Only two weddings all summer, for us, and both on same day!

Katie and Brian, very close friends of Chloƫ's, were actually married in February, in Hawaii, but wanted to celebrate with family and friends here. Smaller reception, at their new place, but a few blocks for Tisol store I'd been at earlier, but lovely to see many friends and relatives we've come to know over the years. Party was winding down by the time we arrived but we still didn't leave until after midnight. Once home I quickly brushed and flossed and said goodnight to Cora Lee who was reading when my head hit the pillow. Woke up at 2:30am to find her book on her tummy, glasses on her nose and gentle snores coming from her mouth! Gave her a nudge but she only mumbled something incoherent and didn't turn out light or close her book. Bit of a struggle to get her to comply and she grumbled all the while. The Sisterhood!
 

Heavy shower about half an hour ago but blue sky now so I'm hoping to go back out to Iona/Steveston. Will be a solo ride as Whirlygig has gone fishing, (not sure where), until Thursday and Robo Man is tutoring all weekend. Probably won't have a chance to call until early in week but will certainly do so! Enjoy cabin. Fondestos from Cora Lee. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Unfortunately, my camera battery died after these six shots! My fault entirely as I knew it needed recharging but simply forgot to do so! Will, Stephanie's husband, second son-in-law; Commissionaire, James,(Groom), James, (Best Man), Ross, (Groom's brother. On crutches, not shown, but he is using a cane here, to help him through ceremony, barely noticeable, even if you know what to look for, with a broken ankle! Soccer!!); Stephanie, middle daughter, just before ceremony started, holding Hazel, first granddaughter; Stephanie, Christina, (eldest daughter), Jenny, (close friend of Bride), Laura, (youngest daughter); Bride and Groom; guests with Cora Lee at far end. Think this was the first wedding I'd been to where all the bridesmaids are either pregnant or have a very young child!


To those of you who will be in France later this summer I thought I'd pass along this annual bulletin from my friend Geoffrey, and to the others as well who might be tempted. Guy
Paris in Summer!

Dear Friends, friends of friends and their friends...please forward this message on to anyone you know who might be interested.
Paris in August! Our very well appointed and situated apartment is available for parts of July and the month of August. Read on for details...

PARIS APT. FOR SHORT TERM RENTALS - 5TH ARRONDISSEMENT/Latin Quarter
Character apartment in 18th century building with elevator in quiet neighbourhood.
995€ per week fully furnished - Two bedrooms, both doubles + living room hide-away (sleeps 6), 3 fireplaces, hardwood floors, shower (no bath) large sunny living room with piano, very well equipped kitchen, washing machine, gas stove, 3 standard VCR, DVD and monitor, WIFI Internet connection, free telephoning to North America, Australia, Europe…Across the road from the Jardin des Plantes and down the hill from the Arenes de Lutece, 5 minutes from the Seine, Notre Dame, the Pantheon, the rue Mouffetard, St-Germain, Odeon, Luxembourg Gardens. 3 outdoor markets every day but Monday. Concierge. (deposits required).

 
The apartment is in the 5th arrondissement, close to Jussieu University (Metro Jussieu is the closest metro stop) and between the Arenes de Lutece (Roman Arena) and the Jardin des Plantes (National Botanical Gardens). It is a short walk to the Seine, the Institut du Monde Arabe, Place de la Contrescarpe, the Mouffetard Market, the Pantheon and Notre Dame and the Ile St-Louis and the Marais. There are 3 markets (Place Monge, Place Maubert and Mouffetard) and two of the best bakeries in the city at the corner of rue Lacepede and the rue Monge and Kayser at 8 rue Monge.

The apartment is on the third floor of an 18th century building with a cobblestone courtyard and is very quiet. It has two bedrooms, both doubles and a foldout couch that sleeps two in the living room. There is one bathroom (shower only) and the loo is in a separate closet. The kitchen is equipped with gas and copper pots and a good range of cookbooks in English. The television receives a broad range of international channels and there is a separate DVD player. Telephoning to over 30 countries including Canada, the US, China, Australia and most of Europe is free. There is an extensive library and an eclectic CD collection. 


Patrick, thank you for this.  I've shared it with Nancy as we've been talking about an end of summer trip.  Beau Soleil looks great.  She tells me, however, she has been speaking to friends in Toronto about a sojourn with them and some regional cultural outings as well such as the Shaw and/or Stratford festivals.  But nothing decided yet, though time is as usual roaring on.  Put us in the "toying" group for now if acceptable and I'll  update you when we come to a firmer sense of a notion of a plan.  G

Hi again, Big Al!

As I mentioned in my last message, I didn't think I'd have time to give you Cabin Fever Folks a call but was thinking of you nonetheless. After Cora Lee left for church, to pray for my black soul, I suited up and headed out for my ride. Think I mentioned that I was probably going to make for Iona/Steveston but by the time I was at UBC and rolling along MD, I thought that perhaps I'd head out along Kent Ave as I'd not ridden that way for quite some time. This being the case I went under Arthur Laing instead of over it and soon found myself hurtling towards Burnaby! 

Really a very,very pleasant ride on the weekend as don't think I ever encountered a single large truck. Not many cyclist either. Was interested to see the condo development between Kerr and Kinross, or thereabouts, I think, now nicely finished and attractive but under construction when last I was past this section. Furthermore, the road in front of this development and beyond, all the way to Boundary, has been resurfaced. It was pretty rough, with many potholes and patch jobs, as I recall. Great to zip along on this smooth, wide roadway, especially since wind was at my back.

Once past Boundary I headed into the large industrial park on N Fraser Way. I had been through parts of it before, (One time, the infamous "Desertion Ride" by members of the once vibrant Peleton!), so enjoyed retracing my steps. Didn't "risk" the trails of the Burnaby Fraser Foreshore Park in case there were residual vibes from my last abandonment, but contented myself with exploring Glenlyon Pkwy. Followed it to reconnect with N Fraser Way and Byrne Road. 

Cycled past what seemed to me fairly new/recently finished, quite attractive, both from an architectural and landscaped point of view, warehouses/businesses, noting one, Mitchell Press, relocated from a large building, (Now completely renovated and specializing in mid-century furniture, according to Interior Designer Coriandre!) not far from us, on 1st & Pine. Saw another huge complex, something like the Canadian Motion Picture Park, on Glenwood Drive, I think. Thought of you, naturally, and wondered if you have ever worked there. 

Great cycling on almost completely deserted streets. Crisscrossed my way around Riverbend Drive Trapp Avenue, Willard Street, Meadow Avenue and then N Fraser Way to Marine Way and back, simply following my nose. This would be a wonderful ride with a number of other people as one could ride two or even three abreast and chat all the while. Even out to Iona on a quiet day there is usually enough vehicular traffic to make that a bit difficult, not to say unsafe. Here, the Peleton could take up the entire road, spitting on cars!

By the time I had poked around, to the extent that I had covered most of the bays and crescents, I had almost 60 K on the clock so headed back to KAB and fought the reasonably steady, but not overwhelming, head wind to Cambie, taking it only as far as 65th, taking advantage of a chanced- upon pedestrian domestique who had pushed the walk button to allow me to scamper across otherwise busy thoroughfare. 

 From there I was almost on autopilot as I made my way to Heather and then back down to 70th to faultlessly negotiate the all the lights at Oak and Granville, and in between, to shoot along MD for the Endowment Lands and UBC. More than pleased with having reacquainted myself with territory of the Burnaboids and with overall ride statistics, once back at The Heartbreak Terrace: 103.4 K over 4:46:56, AVG 21.6 KPH, MAX 55.4 KPH. 

Back home for a quick shower and a cup of java, (Don't like to have any before a long ride as that might force me to have to stop!), before helping get ready for niece Rachael's 23rd birthday dinner. I had cut up steaks from large beef tenderloin package we'd bought at Costco earlier in week and Patti did them to poifection on bbq while Cora Lee and Chloƫ and Joanne carried out the execution, by boiling, roiling water, of ten crustaceans, of the lobster persuasion, which Sarge had had flown in from Nova Scotia earlier that morning. This stupendous fare, along with Joanne's wonderful mixed green salad and Cora Lee's feta topped oven kartofelage and the feast was on! Loads of wine, both red and white. Gavin and I started out with a few snorts of some recently acquired hootch: Elmer T. Lee Kentucky Straight Bourbon, 46% and El Dorado 12 year old Demerara Rum from Guyana, an anaemic 40% but very, very flavourful!

For dessert there was a marble chocolate cheesecake, from Sweet Obsessions, (same owners as Trafalgar's Bistro!), and some incredible gelato Joanne had discovered while in Mesa but also available at Costco, here: pineapple, lemon, orange and coconut, all in their hollowed-out original encasings. Rowdy For She's a Jolly Good Fellow after Rachael blew out all her candles. After all this excitement and rich food I needed a couple of snorts of Jura Superstition, 43%, to calm my frazzled nerves as I loaded the dishwasher!

Great, great ending to a wonderful, wonderful day! To be continued...

Hey Pat, My distant relatives, the Archers, live in Malvern near Worcester, England & Travis has been staying @ their home. Colin & Lorna Archer are both retired social workers & remain very politically active especially supporting the Palestinians & opposed to the Jewish occupation of Palestine. On Friday Travis attended a rally w/ them & thousands of others in London promoting famine relief & the idea that no one in the world need go hungry. He arrived in Dublin on May 30 but I'm not exactly sure of his present whereabouts. I'm not much on Facebook but Travis has posted some pics which you might enjoy. Here's a sample:










Statues mark the path to the Dublin docklands commemorating the potato famine.
Hi Patrizzio! A few updates. If you want to bring a light appy that would be fine. Penguin bringing a dessert. (BTW, as a special treat, my partner will prepare a delicious salad fresh from our #1 son’s organic farm)




Think we’ll keep it to 3 couples if that’s OK so we can do a round robin kind of thing. Added advantage is that everyone will get even more prizes at the end. Plus can catch up with everyone more. Finally, at your advanced age it is certainly best that you play more often. CC

Hello all, Rome, part 2

Thursday – Jo-Anne’s big day – her conference presentation is at noon.  I headed out after a leisurely breakfast (many cappucchinos) and headed back to Termini and the Metro.  Got off at the Flaminio stop and walked over to the Piazza del Popolo.  Went into one of the twin Santa Maria churches (the other was closed for renovations) – quite small inside.  The Via del Corso starts at Piazza del Popolo and ends at the Victor Emmanuel monument – I looked at a bit of this end.  Then I followed the Via del Basuino to the Piazza di Spagna.  From there I went over to the Via Veneto – the area with the expensive hotels (Westin, etc.) and high end shops.  It is one of the nicer looking streets in Rome.  Then it was back to Termini and on to the hotel.

Friday – Morning’s big activity was laundry.  Met Jo-Anne for lunch, and then we went to the Spagna station and walked along Basuino to the Piazza del Popolo, and hence to the Via del Corso, the Via della Croce, and back to Piazza Spagna.  Then it was on to the Via Veneto and the Borghese Gardens.  Took a bus back to the hotel and crashed.

Saturday – Travel day.  This was supposed to be an easy trip to Porto.  We finally arrived in Porto at 3:00 PM on Sunday.  It took less time to go from Vancouver to Rome.  There was an “incident” at the Rome airport.  A Romanian Airlines flight had a bad landing.  Stories and rumours varied from a crash to a landing gear problem.  Didn’t hear of any deaths or serious injuries, but a runway had to be closed.  Our flight was cancelled.  A re-booked flight through Milan was delayed such that we missed our connecting flight.  We finally left Milan early Sunday afternoon.  The rest of the story (ie-lost luggage) needs much wine.-Colin



No comments:

Post a Comment