Wednesday 8 January 2014

Rain-Proof Cycling Blues: Wednesday, January 8th

To be capable of embarrassment is the beginning of moral consciousness. Honor grows from qualms. -John Leonard, critic (1939-2008) 



P, sorry I missed your call lastereve. Was deep into dukahonnamoto with sisterhood -- I wish.
 

Let's talk today about rain proof cycling and other island adventures. W

More rain, all day, more or less, so I was forced into "errand" rides: 12.68 km over 0:52'37 for an AVG of 14.4 km/hr.

First to Dino, (41st/West Blvd), for a haircut, (He wanted my phone number so that he can invite me/us to the 50th Anniversary of his barbershop.), then to Cheap Thrills for a few groceries and then to meet Amira and Whirlygig for AH. After cinema to GI for java, (Railtown, dark, smoky, full-bodied, Peru Chaupe, at JJ Bean. Needed free cup, with each lb, as I was chilled from persistent rain), and then RBC kiosk for cash from ever dwindling coffers.

Home to take a quick shower and then blogville, making dinner, overlefts and saladin, for Coriandre when she returned from Friends board meeting at 8:00 pm. After dinner we watched Mud, "a 2012 American coming-of-age drama film written and directed by Jeff Nichols. The film stars Matthew McConaughey, Tye Sheridan, (Ellis), Sam Shepard, and Reese Witherspoon. Two teenage boys in De Witt, Arkansas, Ellis and Neckbone, (Jacob Lofland), travel to a small island in the Mississippi River where Neckbone, found a boat stuck high in a tree, likely from a flood. They intend to make it their own but soon realize someone is living in it and meet Mud – a strange man who claims to have grown up in the town. While calmly fishing he tells the boys he needs food. He promises to give the boys his boat if they help him during the short time he plans to stay on the island. The boys leave unsure of what to think about Mud," and the plot thickens!. Must say that I thoroughly enjoyed film. Wonderful script, dialogue spare yet conjuring incredible depths of emotion and marvelously understated humour at times. Recommend it most highly.


Dear Callus:


Last summer while you were walking the Lake District with Wordsworth and cycling the Tour de France with Lance I was busy at my keyboard working on a novel that I completed just before leaving for California. I was wondering if you would be interested in reading it in between feeding the cat at Nanoose and cleaning its litter box and offer some feedback as I am keen to see this get published. I would appreciate hearing your opinion of it.

Also, do you have the address for Madrona? It appears that George is planning to visit some time around the 18th. Let me know. Best, Kurt


Hello again, Dean/Neal!

I knew there was a novel lurking under your cynical, sarcastic skin and I'd be delighted to read it and see if its pages are only fit to line the feline's litter box! I've included Whirlage in this message as he is certainly/would be a much better choice for editor. Cora Lee is also a possibility as she is very, very good at slashing/burning, editorially speaking, and takes an almost sadistic delight in ripping my fumbling prose, (if not my subcutaneous layers), to shreds. However, I think the ultimate critical panel would be the NRBC. I feel that we should all read it and then give you our considered opinions. What think you, Sirrah? Put your money and soul where the foot in your mouth tends to reside.

Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio "Armadillo" Dunn who spits on callousness. I dream of 3" tempered steel plates for my emotional and psychological exoskeleton along with 9H/HB armour piercing pencils! Writer Beware! 


Hi again, Great Canadian Novel Author!

Forgot to send along address. Cheers, Maxwell Perkins per Patrizzio "Armadillo" Dunn! 


Hi Glasgow!

Would be grand to have a dram and a visit but we are getting ready to head to Madroña Manor until January 27th. I gather you and Catherine are taking an extended trip once you retire. Congrats on both counts! Not sure about your exact dates for retirement/trip but let's see if we can organize something in early February if you will still be in Vancouver when we return from VI. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Big Al!

Love your suggestion about use of desk! Just another reason to speed up eviction process!

However, I need to set you straight on the Camel Pack Fiasco. It was no "accident" that Whirlygrifter ended up with my camel pack as he switched with much premeditated malice, knowing full well I was soon to embark on a 100+ km ride and was working for The Sisterhood who hoped I would expire without needed re-hydration. Unfortunately, for him, I usually use cask strength as my riding fuel and his system is not used to such high test. His collection of malt is so anaemic that it doesn't even qualify to be called "porch cleaner" and the octane enhanced mixture went straight to his non-existent grey matter and he flipped out, literally. Hoist with his own petard!


Yesterday I had made an appointment to have a pedicure so I was massaged and otherwise pampered. Almost as good as the Swedish masseuses in Languedoc! Today I managed to take in American Hustle at 12:30 pm with Amira and The Would Be Turncoat Assassin. He tried to do me in again, this time around with popcorn sprinkled with chili peppers from Hades. However, much to his consternation I didn't succumb even though there was smoke coming out of my ears! I thoroughly enjoyed the film, finding it both emotionally and psychologically gripping. Christian Bale, Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence were simply wonderful but entire cast was terrific.

Fondestos to you both. Will be in touch once ensconced at Madroña Manor. Cheers, Patrizzio! 


Hi Tinsel Town!

Thought that I'd send along Big Al's take on new desk after I told him that it looked so splendid that Nana wants to evict Chloë! Fondestos to you three. Love and Cheers, Dad!  


Hi Colin!

Would be grand to have a dram and a visit before my next Humpilates class but we are getting ready to head to Madroña Manor. Let's see if we can organize something in early February, when we return from VI. Cheers, Patrizzio!


P, thanks for joining us for the American Hustle. I quite enjoyed it. Looks like it may be okay weather for your ride tomorrow. I have a noon match that I thought was cancelled because one of the players was ill. The game is apparently on. Hope your ride is dry and windless. We will touch base from your digs in Sparksville. W

P, I don't know what the reference is to Armadillo but this may be worth watching. W



Hi Whirlygig!

It was a delight to see Amira and I thoroughly enjoyed the film as well. Sorry you won't be joining me but pleased your match is on. Do hope I face dry and windless conditions. Spoke to Grogg this evening and he seemed to think it might just be light drizzle at their end. Will call him from ferry if it looks too, too wet.

Enjoyed the Armadillo clip. I was referring to the fact that the Nicotine Fiend referred to me as "Callus" because of my response to his travelogue. (Interesting that we both need to translate for each other: dukahonnamoto!) The video confirmed that I think our helmets should be made out of armadillo plates!


Must away as I want to do a bit of packing. Will send a few Internet sparks from Sparksville as soon as I've picked the wine cellar lock! Cheers, Il Conduttore! 


Hello Polar Vortex People!

Sorry to learn that your weather is not as warm as you might like. Shades of New Orleans when we first arrived! Nevertheless, I see form your wondrous accounts of Christmas and New Year's feasts that your suffering has been ameliorated. Glad Wonderland hootch keeps the cold at bay!

We enjoyed a very festive, festive season ourselves and must say it was quite a relaxed and relaxing time so feel very fortunate for our great good fortune on all fronts. Just a blink of an eye and but a little more than a week into 2014 and we are packing our bags again.
 

Will send more info as soon as I've picked the lock on the wine cellar there! Fondestos from an already slumbering Cora Lee. She said she missed you both so much that she had to go to bed to lose herself in sleep otherwise she would have to drown her sorrow in a bottle, one of the few remaining in the ravaged malt cabinet. Cheers, to our favourite Hot Water Bottle/Electric Blanket People from Patrizzio "eBay" Dunn!  







No comments:

Post a Comment