Saturday 4 January 2014

Sour Milk Blues: Saturday, January 4th

Worry is interest paid on trouble before it comes due. -William R. Inge, clergyman, scholar, and author (1860-1954) 


Hello Wine Thief! (Is this the sequel to The Book Thief?)

Trust your sewer problem has been dealt with and gone away. Appreciate the news of the buried wine treasure chest! We were in Sunshine Valley with Big Al and Colleen when I received the news that I won the wine lottery and simply didn't have time to reply, given all the pre-New Year's Eve/Day activity. By all means, sample a bottle or two, to see how the hootch has fared. I assume Natasha and Boris have guarded it well! Who knows what else is to be unearthed!

[Michele Darrow-Sutherland

To all my East Coast friends and family , cherry blossoms on Granville island]




Anyway, headed out around 11:00 am, along Seawall, making for Stanley Park, yesterday. It was, indeed, a more than glorious day, so quite busy with all sorts of folk enjoying the fabulous weather but I managed to weave my way through hordes of dog walkers, armies of strollers and scads of recreational tourist bikers to complete seven circuits of my ride regulare, The Prospect Hill Loop. Felt great to log my first 100+km ride of 2014. Stats:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/424119536#.UsdXKMB3DKQ.email

Although hadn't any trouble on ride, need to take my Trek in to have a part replaced. I've known about this since just before I left for California but hadn't had any gear slippage since I had derailleur adjusted so never got around to taking it back in. Want to do it this weekend, at latest, as I'm off to Parksville on Thursday of next week, until 27th. Looks like we will be having quite a few friends visiting/staying while we house/cat sit so a bit like Villa Vicente!
 

[Donna Forbes Are you trying to infer that snow banks somehow are trumped by apple blossoms? It was a winter wonderland here today....East coast rocks.]

Let me know how a random bottle or two of Coffaro taste. Fondestos from Cora Lee to you both as we embark into 2014. Onward! Fight! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Mispalced Coffaro, a look at Vancouver, fabulous rides through part of it and More! Thanks for the fabulous video! Will see what we find about the Coffaro. I will let Ms. Wine Snob herself sample and let you know if it's turned to dust or is now perfected! We're out to Oliveto's tonight with friends visiting from gay Paris, so probably won't be until Sunday that we let our corkscrew fly.  Happy adventures today. Bet they are not biking much in New York and Boston today.....

P, Hope your ride lasterday was glorious. It was the perfect winter day. 


Texted you last night but your cell phone was probably buried in the riding jacket. Just wanted to warn you about riding in these icy conditions. 



[David Kessler shared Kalamazoo College's photo.
My alma mater....K college friends who may not have received this image will surely enjoy this (especially if you are viewing it from sunny and warm California!)]
On the return ride from squash I crashed at the top of the driveway. I hit pretty hard. My hip is pretty battered and swollen but I think it will be fine. My left wrist is uncomfortable and not of much use. My right shin has a nice gash in it. My head hit hard but I think the helmet may have saved my coconut. The sisterhood is questioning that assumption. Will have to look closely at the helmet damage later. 



Never noticed any ice on the road on the entire ride back from VRC so was blind sided on my front street. 



Contrary to previous assertions the sisterhood will not join us on the island later in the month. Tia has a piano examination late in the month and they will be hunkered down at the keys. So just me and 38 other extended family. 



Fond regards to all, W
Hi Corinne … and a very happy new year to you and Patricio as well. We are not so lucky in the sunshine department today as it is raining right now and doesn't show much sign of letting up for awhile. Peter and our friends Anne and Byron Stewart who are visiting for 10 days from Vancouver are out ostensibly playing golf … Not only do we have the first daytime downpour of our visit to South Florida, we also have much cooler temperatures. 

We actually had to turn on the heat in our rental house last night. It was also cold during the day but we got out of it by taking a road trip up to St. Petersburg and visiting the wonderful new (opened in 2010) Dali museum. The holdings are from a private collection so it is very manageable in size and complexity. We very much enjoyed the exhibits and the gift shop! I now have anew "art sty" mug to add to my little collection. We came home to a supper of cold-weather comfort food--tomato soup and grilled chefs, bacon and tomato sandwiches--washed down with an interesting and very tasty chianti. The weather is supposed to improve tomorrow so let's hope …

We had a very nice Christmas with my sister Sue and brother-in-law Denis and my old friends from Ottawa, Karen and John Brennan, here for dinner. We did turkey with all the trimmings, and it was yummy. Sue made trifle for dessert and John made some tasty cranberry sauce. Of course, there was also lots of nice champers and other wines. I'm sure you all had a lovely day too.
Thanks for the India info. We'll look into it anon. Cheers for now. Lynnie XOXO
 
Thank you all for the lovely card … and the nice sentiments in it. We're happy to be your favourite Naramations! 

We had a relatively low-key but very fun festive eve with our friends Byron and Anne Stewart, who are here for 10 days. Byron did a treat of a lobster dish as a first course and collaborated with me (just a little) to present a yummy appie of pate with coarse salt garnish and 3 chutneys. (I made one of the chutneys from leftover Christmas cranberry sauce, and baked a fresh baguette.) The main event was to-die-for BBQ rib eyes and caesar salad courtesy of Pedro with a baked-potato-and-all-the-toppings side from me. Lots of wonderful wines to accompany each course, of course. We are having much better luck finding great wines here than we did in Hawaii. P will regale you with stories of trips to wonderland, aka, the local speciality wine store. 

Take care of each other. All the best for 2014. We miss you! Lynnie XOXO

Hi Patricio,


Looks like we’re on for an install tomorrow on the desk unit at 11:00. if anything changes let me know or vise versa.  The final number on the sandblasting and powder coating came in at $262.00 for Powder coating and 199.50 for sandblasting for a grand total of $1939.00. you’ve paid $1700.00 already so the balance is $239.00. Thanks, and we’ll see you tomorrow. Cheers, Al

Todd Gnissois brought 2010 Le Vieux Pin, (Oliver), Syrah 13.5% paired with Cora Lee's Braised Duck Legs with Cherry Sauce


 

No comments:

Post a Comment